#1 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWarShip Sleipnir, Spinward-Coreward Quadrant

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:35 PM

Well since there really is not a proper thread detailing the Clan `Mechs and names (the stickied one actually does not explain the I.S. names), or even one with who has produced what. I figured I would start one, as `Mechs get released for the Clans I will try and update this initial post. Although those that know me, my work schedule is all over the map in the worst way, so I could end up not coming back to it for long periods. All information is pulled from Sarna because my sourcebooks are in storage and all my PDF copies are on my other laptop.

As always if someone has the Source books and wants to fill in the missing information please post it and I will update the appropriate `Mech :)

Warhawk a.k.a Masakari (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Warhawk)
Designed by: Smoke Jaguar
Year introduced: 2999
Reason for the Inner Sphere name:
Deployed extensively in the Jaguar frontline forces, often paired with the Dire Wolf, the design truly came to prominence as originally intended, on the battlefields of the Jaguars' Invasion Corridor and earned the code name of Masakari, a Japanese battle-axe used on medieval Terra, from warriors within the DCMS who faced it.

Timber Wolf a.k.a Mad Cat (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Timber_Wolf)
Designed by: Wolf
Year introduced: 2945
Vaguely resembling a cross-over between the MAD (Marauder) and CAT (Catapult) series, the Timber Wolf was tagged with the Inner Sphere reporting name Mad Cat on first contact. (The targeting computer on Phelan Kell's Wolfhound switched between MAD and CAT when trying to identify it; Precentor Martial Anastasius Focht later officially designated it "Mad Cat".

Stromcrow a.k.a Ryoken (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Stormcrow)
Designed by: Hell's Horses
Year introduced: 2930
However, within the Clan Smoke Jaguar touman, the Stormcrow was especially common during the Clan Invasion and was codenamed the Ryoken by the warriors of the DCMS who encountered it. Because of its versatility through its combination of mobility, armor, and firepower in its various configurations, the Stormcrow is a feared opponent on the battlefield

Adder a.k.a Puma (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Adder)
Designed by: Star Adder
Year introduced: 3010
Inner Sphere MechWarriors nicknamed this `Mech Puma as a tribute to its ferocity. Though light and fast enough for scouting missions, the Puma can stand up to man Inner Sphere medium `Mechs. It packs exceptional firepower for a light `Mech, and many MechWarriors in the Successor States got a nasty surprise the first time they faced it in battle.

Dire Wolf a.k.a Dashi (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Dire_Wolf)
Year introduced: 3010
Its speed and armor protection matches that of an Atlas, but it has superior potential firepower with fifty and a half tons of free pod space for weapons and equipment. It is these traits which saw the 'Mech christened Daishi (Japanese for "Great Death") by the criminal underbelly of the Draconis Combine, a name that would be proven grimly accurate time and time again.

Summoner a.k.a Thor (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Summoner)
Designed by: Jade Falcon
Year introduced: 2872
The Summoner earned the Inner Sphere code name Thor for its powerful, yet simple arsenal. The Summoner's balanced mix of speed, mobility, armor, and firepower make it a highly effective and reliable OmniMech. When he first encountered one, Victor Steiner-Davion himself named it "Thor" because its LBX and ERPPC seemed "thunder" and "Lightning".

Nova a.k.a Black Hawk (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Nova)
Year introduced: 2870
Nothing worth while posting from Sarna in relation to the name.

Kit Fox a.k.a Uller (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Kit_Fox)
Designed by: Cloud Cobra
Year introduced: 2890
The Kit Fox is a light Clan OmniMech with long-range combat as a primary focus, earning it the Inner Sphere codename of Uller, after the Norse god of archery.

Mad Dog a.k.a Vulture (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mad_dog)
Year introduced: 2963
The Mad Dog is a heavy Clan OmniMech used for long-range indirect fire support. With hunched shoulders, a protruding head, and reverse-jointed legs, the Mad Dog resembles a vulture, so much so that it was codenamed Vulture and Hagetaka ("Vulture" in Japanese) by the Inner Sphere forces which first encountered it. The name also fit the battlefield role of the Mad Dog; the main role of the Mad Dog is to act as a support 'Mech, and it often holds a hill maintaining constant watch over the entire battlefield, like a vulture waiting for its prey. With its ample firepower and decent speed of 86.4 km/h, it makes a highly mobile firing platform, and as such has spread to near ubiquity among the forces deployed by the Clans, although the design is favored more by Clan Ghost Bear MechWarriors. The Mad Dog carries eight and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor for decent protection, although it will not be able to stand up to heavy fire

Gargoyle a.k.a Man O' War (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Gargoyle)
Year introduced: 2945
The Gargoyle earned the name Man O' War from the Inner Sphere forces because of its effectiveness.

Hellbringer a.k.a Loki (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hellbringer)
Year introduced: 2926
The Inner Sphere first encountered the Hellbringer facing Clan Jade Falcon, which favors the design for its immense offensive potential. Earning the codename Loki by Galen Cox, an AFFC officer who declared each of the Hellbringer's various versions as an "utterly mad configuration," the 'Mech does at first glance appear to be highly unusual, mounting a spread of weapons, anti-personnel equipment and electronics. The Hellbringer utilizes a standard internal structure, and has decent mobility, with a top speed of 86.4 km/h. Though it has vast firepower at its disposal, the design is not particularly durable, mounting a mere eight tons of Standard armor, and the Hellbringer is not particularly suitable for defensive situations or extended engagements

Mist Lynx a.k.a Koshi (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mist_Lynx)
Year introduced: 2910
This `Mechs Japanese name, reportedly coined by a member of the Draconis Combine's criminal element, translates roughly as "small death", a term without clear meaning in English.

Ice Ferret a.k.a Fenris (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Fenris)
Designed by: Ice Hellion
Year introduced: 2948
A powerful medium scout and recon 'Mech, the Ice Ferret was regarded as something of a foreign concept when it was first encountered by Inner Sphere forces. Referred to as the Fenris by Inner Sphere forces, the Ice Ferret is a very capable medium scout OmniMech, which is well armored and fast, and can be configured as a strike/headhunter or as a fire-support 'Mech.

Faction Breakdown:
Wolf: 3 (Timber Wolf, Dire Wolf, Gargoyle)
Smoke Jaguar: 3 (Warhawk, Mad Dog, Mist Lynx)
Hell's Horses: 3 (Hellbringer, Nova, Stormcrow)
Jade Falcon: 1 (Summoner)
Star Adder: 1 (Adder)
Cloud Cobra: 1 (Kit Fox)
Ice Hellion: 1 (Ice Ferret)

Now after looking that the breakdown, that is quite impressive really. That shows what is now called the Homeworld Clans, had a fairly major contribution to the invasion due to the `Mechs they designed. Also points out that everyone's perception of what `Mech belongs to what Clan is off base unless you are a die hard BattleTech fan.

[joke]
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Executioner

Surat 1: "What weighs niety-five tons, can run at more than 80 kilometers per hour, can jump 120 meters, and carries a Gauss rifle?"

Surat 2: "I don't know, but I'm getting out of here."

This bit of low "MechWarrior humor" may never make it to the network holo-coms, but it accuratley reflects the Inner Sphere's inability to deal with the Executioner (Gladiator). Thouh some Inner Sphere `Mechs are better armored and others carry more weapons, none can match the Executionerr with a skilled pilot in one-on-one combat. This OmniMech's exceptional maneuverability allows it to position itself better than other large `Mechs, and its speed lets it swiftly pursue smaller `Mechs. Such a `Mech would be a treasure for the dueling warriors on Solaris.
[/joke]

Enjoy!
[edit 1]
Changed a few descriptions, pulled them out of TR 3050 (found my PDF's! well some...:()
And added the joke at bottom ;)
[/edit 1]

Edited by Dark DeLaurel, 19 September 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#2 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:21 PM

“ If you see a Falcon not in a Summoner, Hellbringer or Kit Fox double your caution. ”
-Clan Coyote adage

All three of them will now be in this game!

#3 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for the post. :)

#4 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:50 PM

View PostDemona, on 18 September 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

Thanks for the post. :)

You are most welcome, with the Clan release there are a lot of people trying to understand the `Mechs and the naming. Hell even just the Clans in general. So I am just trying to do my part to get folks into the BattleTech universe ;)

#5 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:56 PM

View PostDark DeLaurel, on 18 September 2014 - 09:50 PM, said:

You are most welcome, with the Clan release there are a lot of people trying to understand the `Mechs and the naming. Hell even just the Clans in general. So I am just trying to do my part to get folks into the BattleTech universe ;)

It's very much appreciated! I'd really love to see the community come together more with all the changes and developments happening.

The rivalries in lore are something to be enjoyed and appreciated after all, not taken seriously and get angry about. I like seeing constructive, positive posts. :)

#6 Grotoiler

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for the post concerning the naming - it helps to clear things up!

I was pondering on an idea after reading your post, though I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement.

Seeing as most, if not all Clan mechs have an IS nickname, would it be possible for the faction-specific names to show up when piloting a Sphere mech? For example, If you're in a Kit Fox, and you target a Timberwolf, it would Read as Timberwolf; but if you were in, say, a Hunchback, and target the same, it would read as Mad Cat.

I think that would add a tiny bit of fluff-wise immersion - not a critically needed feature, but would make for a nice touch.

What does everybody else think of such an idea?

#7 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostGrotoiler, on 18 September 2014 - 10:35 PM, said:

I was pondering on an idea after reading your post, though I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement.

Seeing as most, if not all Clan mechs have an IS nickname, would it be possible for the faction-specific names to show up when piloting a Sphere mech? For example, If you're in a Kit Fox, and you target a Timberwolf, it would Read as Timberwolf; but if you were in, say, a Hunchback, and target the same, it would read as Mad Cat.

I think that would add a tiny bit of fluff-wise immersion - not a critically needed feature, but would make for a nice touch.

As long as it's optional with the default setting to be "off" so players new to the franchise don't get too confused and overwhelmed. I'm sure the hero mechs might be confusing enough to some of them.

#8 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:42 PM

Glad you enjoyed it, and also happy it cleared up some confusion. If i can dig out my source books i will try to fill in the how to's better.

It has been brought up when the teaser trailer was released, as to coding i dont think it would require much. Then again I have not dealt with the Crysis engine before so i really can't say. It would be cool as hell, but for now I am just happy we have them lol.

View PostDemona, on 18 September 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

As long as it's optional with the default setting to be "off" so players new to the franchise don't get too confused and overwhelmed. I'm sure the hero mechs might be confusing enough to some of them.

Well it is already confusing lol, if you look at wave 1. Everything is by its proper name, if you look at wave 2 everything is its inner sphere name with the exception of the Mad Dog for some reason. I do agree though a toggle would be needed, on the other hand we now just got an AMS toggle.... ;)

#9 Grotoiler

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:50 PM

View PostDemona, on 18 September 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

True that. I was also quite lost when I started delving into the Battletech lore, and the nomenclature had me running in circles before I understood the whole Clam-Spheroid debacle and WHY there were two names :P

View PostDark DeLaurel, on 18 September 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

Glad you enjoyed it, and also happy it cleared up some confusion. If i can dig out my source books i will try to fill in the how to's better.

It has been brought up when the teaser trailer was released, as to coding i dont think it would require much. Then again I have not dealt with the Crysis engine before so i really can't say. It would be cool as hell, but for now I am just happy we have them lol.

Well it is already confusing lol, if you look at wave 1. Everything is by its proper name, if you look at wave 2 everything is its inner sphere name with the exception of the Mad Dog for some reason. I do agree though a toggle would be needed, on the other hand we now just got an AMS toggle.... ;)

Indeed... I also think that for now things are hundreds; a name's just a name, but the mechs are in-game, so that's what counts to me haha :lol:

Edited by Grotoiler, 18 September 2014 - 10:54 PM.

#10 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:55 PM

View PostGrotoiler, on 18 September 2014 - 10:50 PM, said:

True that. I was also quite lost when I started delving into the Battletech lore, and the nomenclature had me running in circles before I understood the whole Clam-Spheroid debacle and WHY there were two names :P

Yeah, outside of TT, playing the MW2 trilogy was the best way to become lore proficient. :D

#11 Grotoiler

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:10 PM

View PostDemona, on 18 September 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

Yeah, outside of TT, playing the MW2 trilogy was the best way to become lore proficient. :D

Funny enough, I had my first taste of big stompy mechs on MW2 Mercs, though I was only 7 at the time, so the lore didn't mean much to me. Only got deeply stuck into the lore with the coming of Living Legends :rolleyes:

#12 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:21 PM

View PostGrotoiler, on 18 September 2014 - 11:10 PM, said:

Funny enough, I had my first taste of big stompy mechs on MW2 Mercs, though I was only 7 at the time, so the lore didn't mean much to me. Only got deeply stuck into the lore with the coming of Living Legends :rolleyes:

I suggest if you have a little bit of spare cash and time check out ebay http://www.ebay.com/...attletech+novel stay away from the Dark Age stuff....But there is usually the novels going on auction fairly often, they are the best for learning stuff in an easy to remember way.

#13 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:39 AM

I have a bit to add about the Thor name:
When he first encountered one, Victor Steiner-Davion himself named it "Thor" because its LBX and ERPPC seemed "thunder" and "Lightning".

I would LOVE it. I have always thought this would be really cool, though a bit confusing. Maybe a switch can solve the issue easily.

View PostGrotoiler, on 18 September 2014 - 10:50 PM, said:

When i was a child playing MW2 my father read me a few things from the holoprojector (hey, at the time my english was not so good lol) and among them there was something called "the Inner Sphere".. I was barely aware of it at the time lol.

#14 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 19 September 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

I have a bit to add about the Thor name:
When he first encountered one, Victor Steiner-Davion himself named it "Thor" because its LBX and ERPPC seemed "thunder" and "Lightning".

That is what i get for not paying attention lol. That has been added :)

#15 Daneiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 490 posts
  • LocationSheridan

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

What is Thor ? :P Is that a cake or pie ? :P

#16 Thoman Coston

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 225 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation zone

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

Thank you Dark :)

#17 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

View PostTaigen, on 19 September 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

Thank you Dark :)

Your welcome Thoman...err Taigen..still trying to get used to calling you that :)

#18 Thoman Coston

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:57 PM

View PostDark DeLaurel, on 19 September 2014 - 08:17 PM, said:

Your welcome Thoman...err Taigen..still trying to get used to calling you that :)

I had an account under Thoman Coston. To increase my chance to get into beta :D , registered more than 1 account. Playing as IS for 2 years made me use Taigen . By now I have all my mechs under Taigen :huh: .

I hope PGI will add CGB mechs later, it is strange to see no clan mech representing CGB. Missing Grizzly and Kodiak!

#19 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:56 AM

*bump* just to keep this near the top for anyone new who is interested.

View PostThoman Coston, on 19 September 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

I had an account under Thoman Coston. To increase my chance to get into beta :D , registered more than 1 account. Playing as IS for 2 years made me use Taigen . By now I have all my mechs under Taigen :huh: .

I hope PGI will add CGB mechs later, it is strange to see no clan mech representing CGB. Missing Grizzly and Kodiak!

Missed this. You are the same Thoman Coston/Taigen that used to play with (CSA) correct?

And the reason we are not going to see the Grizzly and Kodiak is because they are not omni `Mechs, thus could you imagine the outcry of everyone when we could have the same level of customization with them and get Clan weapons? wow it would be a flood of tears of biblical proportions! lol.

Edited by Dark DeLaurel, 25 September 2014 - 02:57 AM.

#20 Thoman Coston

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:49 AM

Yes, i was CSA saKhan in NBT-HC. Played with CSA for about 5 years until NBT MW4-HC died and some of us went into Eve online (Shai, Ace, Dragon, Kiriko, Tinman (Khan of NBT CDS ), Moses (from CDS), Silent Cobra). We played Eve in Shai's corp, then MWO happened :lol: and I quit Eve. Sadly I have not seen those guys/girls in MWO :( .

True that Dark :lol: :D, still love the roaring sound of Kodiak/Grizzly JJ. They can still limit the engine, make it non up gradable.
Kodiak!!
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users