Super Long Ranges And How To Build For Them

8 replies to this topic

#1 namlooc

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

im really new to the game and have always preferred long range fighting instead of cqc. i was wondering what you guys would suggest for a super heavy sniper like mech setup and weapons.

i was thinking going with an assault with a crap ton of rail guns fired with an alpha strike

#2 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:48 AM

Well, first of all, the only "rail gun" in the game is the gauss rifle. The IS mechs that can cary more than 1 are the Jagermechs, and the Cataphract IM and Cataphract 3D. The Clan mechs that can mount more than 1 that I know of are the Timberwolf and Direwolf. It is possible to mount 3 or 4 on a couple mechs, but you can't fire more than 2 at a time. There is also a charging mechanic to get used to.

That said, I would suggest the following for a sniper if you are set on using gauss rifles as your primary weapon:

Jagermech (any variant) : Dual gauss
Cataphract IM or 3D: Dual gauss (this is less desirable because of the low slung arms)
Direwolf: Dual gauss, ERPPC/ERLL (slow as a beached whale)
Shadow Hawk: Single gauss in the left shoulder w/ backup weapons

The main characteristic you will want to look for in a sniper mech will be high mounted hard points so you can just peek over a hill and still fire. If you stand out in the open in this game and try to snipe, you will be dead very quickly.

Other good sniping weapons include the ac/uac 5, ac2(not too effective because of heat to damage ratio), ERLL, CERLL, PPC/ERPPC (will take some practice to hit with because of the projectile speed).

You will also want to keep in mind that effective engagement ranges usually stay inside 1000 meters. There are weapons that can still hit outside of that range, but at reduced damage. Hopefully someone with better communication skills can say all of this in a more organized fashion, or can correct me where my advice goes astray...

Edited by Sword of Morning, 19 September 2014 - 07:50 AM.

#3 PACoFist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationThe Eye Of Chaos

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

Catapult K2 can also carry two Gauss rifles.

A tip that has helped me immensely when using Gauss rifles:
Put your Gauss into all free weapon groups (1 to 6). When you charge up the Gauss rifle all 6 dots around the target recticle will flash green when it is ready to fire. Makes it easier to coordinate the charge-up while aiming at enemies.

#4 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

PPCs were slowed down recently, so they do not work well for sniping anymore. ER Large Lasers (preferably on Clan mechs) and Gauss Rifles (Clan or IS) are the way to go for sniping. You can start as low as a Spider 5D with 2xML+ERLL, and go as high as 5xERLL Stalker 5M. Lasers should be more effective for you than Gauss as they are easier to use at closer ranges.

#5 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:37 AM

boat er large lasers and use advanced zoom module,any mech over 60 tons can do 4 of them with relative ease,just fire 2 at a time and you are good to go.
very easy 500-600 damage games ensue,just stand back and plink the enemy at 600-800 meter range,and relocate often.

er large lasers and gauss together are good too if you have the tonnage to spare.

#6 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:53 AM

View PostModo44, on 19 September 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

PPCs were slowed down recently, so they do not work well for sniping anymore. ER Large Lasers (preferably on Clan mechs) and Gauss Rifles (Clan or IS) are the way to go for sniping. You can start as low as a Spider 5D with 2xML+ERLL, and go as high as 5xERLL Stalker 5M. Lasers should be more effective for you than Gauss as they are easier to use at closer ranges.

On the other hand, PPC do all 10 damage at once, while lasers have to be held on the target

#7 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 28 September 2014 - 06:53 AM, said:

On the other hand, PPC do all 10 damage at once, while lasers have to be held on the target

This point is moot past 500m or so, because PPC shots can literally be dodged while in flight at those distances.

#8 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

PPC's are still good at 500ish or less meters for shoot and scoot stuff. The IS ones are heat efficient enough at this. A 90+KPH medium with 2xPPC's is still an OK skirmisher. It won't compete with ER Large Lasers at range or against moving targets at range though.

With the new mods an IS ERLL does full damage out to 740 meters and they are quite heat efficient now.

IS ERPPC's are just not worth it.

Examples:

CN9-AL Almost 100kph now after speed tweak. 20 pinpoint instant damage at 500 meters is fairly reliable.

STK-3F Good at 700-800 meters. Beagle Active Probe(BAP) + Adv. Sensor range / Adv. Zoom / Adv. Seismic Sensor when mastered lets this pick out targets at long ranges effectively. Trade in BAP for AMS with 1 ton of ammo if worried about LRM's. Adv. Seismic sensor alerts you to potential lights sneaking up on you and helps in urban combat. The Radar Deprivation module is an alternative since it breaks LRM locks easily.

Also: A new Assault mech called the King Crab will be out in Januray next year for cbills. It's pretty much what the OP described plus it's an Inner Sphere design and thusly cheaper than the Direwolf.

Edited by MisterPlanetarian, 07 October 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#9 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostPACoFist, on 19 September 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

Catapult K2 can also carry two Gauss rifles.

A tip that has helped me immensely when using Gauss rifles:
Put your Gauss into all free weapon groups (1 to 6). When you charge up the Gauss rifle all 6 dots around the target recticle will flash green when it is ready to fire. Makes it easier to coordinate the charge-up while aiming at enemies.

This this this, helps so much. Such a subtle thing, but really helps some players.
-----------------------------------------------
Basically there are two long range sniping routes you can go at the moment: (You've stated SUPER long range, or else I'd include ER PPCs)

ER Large Lasers (be they Clan or IS)
  • While a 'heat penalty' is applied for firing more than two Large Lasers simultaneously, it is a manageable penalty. My BJ-3 can alpha strike 3 ERLLs about three times before shutting down. It really isn't bad at all.
  • Consider the Adv. Zoom Module and Adv. Sensor Range modules for this mech.
  • Consider the ERLL Range and ERLL Cooldown modules for this mech, although cooldown modules will only make you hotter faster. (Cooldown is really 'rate of fire' or 'recharge' however you want to think of it, it does NOT make weapons generate less heat.)
  • You have to hold your lasers on the target to attain the most damage possible, this means exposing your mech to enemy fire for longer.
~~ or ~~

Gauss Rifles (agian, Clan or IS)
  • Gauss rifles are the coolest long range weapon in the game afaik. You can mount a pair of them (30 pinpoint, high velocity damage) on Jagermechs, Cataphracts, Capault K2's, Timber Wolves, and Direwolves.
  • I try to strive for at least 30 shots of ammo per equipped Gauss Rifle. 2 would mean I'd ideally want 6.5 Tons of ammo. (65 rounds, or 33 dual salvos)
  • Gauss rifles are prone to exploding and causing damage to nearby components. Gauss ammo is not, put it anywhere.
  • Always carry backup weapons. Dual Gauss in a Jager or CPLT-K2 still leaves plenty of room for 2 Medium Lasers.
  • Consider the Gauss Range and Gauss Cooldown modules. Consider the range and cooldown modules for whatever backup weapons you have as well.
  • Consider the Adv. Zoom Module and Adv. Sensor Range modules for this mech.
  • Gauss mechs only have to expose themselves long enough for them to fire their salvo off, much less exposure than ERLL snipers.
  • A drawback: Dual Gauss mechs will most likely require XL engines. On IS mechs, if you lose one side torso with an XL, your dead. Less survivability, and requires you stick with the team most of the time, and torso twist/roll damage etc...

Edited by xeromynd, 07 October 2014 - 01:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users