Video Cards, What Is Needed?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

So I am looking at pre-built desktops and noting I have barely a clue about video cards.
Tom's Hardware seems to not have certain cards on their list even though it was updated recently.
What is a good place to tell the difference on some details?

#2 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

A better approach might be specifying a budget, and then we can give you some idea of what might be a good video card for you. Generally speaking, I wouldn't want to play MWO on anything less than a GTX 750 or R7 265, but I would also want far more if I could afford it.

If you are curious about a particular GPU, you can always just read a review about it. Techpowerup provides overall performance summaries on their review page, here's one that's up to date and should give you a decent idea about almost any card you'd want to have:

http://www.techpower...970_SLI/20.html

Edited by Catamount, 20 September 2014 - 10:01 AM.

#3 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

View PostCatamount, on 20 September 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

A better approach might be specifying a budget, and then we can give you some idea of what might be a good video card for you. Generally speaking, I wouldn't want to play MWO on anything less than a GTX 750 or R7 265, but I would also want far more if I could afford it.

If you are curious about a particular GPU, you can always just read a review about it. Techpowerup provides overall performance summaries on their review page, here's one that's up to date and should give you a decent idea about almost any card you'd want to have:

http://www.techpower...970_SLI/20.html

What he said.

And keep in mind MWO is CPU bound not GPU bound.

#4 Worm Seraphin

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 92 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:08 PM

Pre-built meaning already configured or custom? There are relatively very few systems that come preconfigured by the manufacturer to run modern games well, you probably want to choose each component.
The video cards mentioned are a good start, I would add a good quad core Intel CPU such as the i5 4690k, 8gigs of ram, and a brand name motherboard that allows for good over clocking options.

#5 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

Well, I have not felt comfortable about building one in a long time so I am looking at pre-built.
Was looking at one place where they had desktops with video cards already added instead of needing to buy separately. One had a GTX645 so I went looking at this list on Tom's Hardware to see where that wound up. Found that it was not even on the list and that list was updated earlier this month.

The system I get is not jsut for MWO, there are other programs and I mixed together their Recommended requirements to compare to what I get to see where it winds up, I am pretty sure I can beat Minimum easy for all of them.

#6 Silme

• PipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

Something to keep in mind, the nvidia cards are split into performance and budget cards - Anything marked GTX (usually X60 and up) are the performance cards, meant for gaming. The GT cards (X40 and down) are the budget cards and perform significantly worse, and I'd personally strongly enourage you to avoid them for gaming purposes. If funds are an issue, you're still much better off dropping back to a 460 or 560 over a 640 or a 740 card. Specifically regarding the GTX 645/745/750/750 Ti, they /are/ slightly better options than the regular GT cards, but roughly half as powerful as the 660 or 760s. I wouldn't go any lower than a GTX 650 Ti or a 760 for those two families.

#7 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:46 PM

The GTX645 is really lousy. If you're not comfortable building, I'd suggest going to a place where you can custom pick parts like Avadirect or Cyberpower or something. Either way, we need a budget if we're going to advise you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users