Posted Image

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:24 AM

I could imagine posters like these up on the walls of the Outreach.

A planet south of Terra in the Davion Territory.

"Outreach consists of oceans and two continents; Romulus and Remus. Romulus is the population center and home to the planet's capital city Harlech, as well as all of its major cities and commercial enterprises. Romulus is split by a mountain range known as the Ridge. The majority of the continent's countryside is filled out with small farms, forests and rolling hills. The other continent Remus is less hospitable and arid, it does not contain any major cities."

#3 Ronin X

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:01 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 September 2014 - 12:24 AM, said:

I could imagine posters like these up on the walls of the Outreach.

A planet south of Terra in the Davion Territory.

What battletech sourcebook was this pulled from?

[color=#959595]I could imagine posters like these up on the walls of the Outreach.[/color]

[color=#959595]A planet south of Terra in the Davion Territory.[/color][color=#CCCCCC]
[/color]
[color=#959595]

"Outreach consists of oceans and two continents; Romulus and Remus. Romulus is the population center and home to the planet's capital city Harlech, as well as all of its major cities and commercial enterprises. Romulus is split by a mountain range known as the Ridge. The majority of the continent's countryside is filled out with small farms, forests and rolling hills. The other continent Remus is less hospitable and arid, it does not contain any major cities."

[/color]

#4 Time Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:59 AM

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Outreach

All you need to know about Outreach.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:36 AM

Outreach consists of oceans and two continents; Romulus and Remus. Romulus is the population center and home to the planet's capital city Harlech, as well as all of its major cities and commercial enterprises. Romulus is split by a mountain range known as the Ridge. The majority of the continent's countryside is filled out with small farms, forests and rolling hills. The other continent Remus is less hospitable and arid, it does not contain any major cities.

If the Dragoons are in control of the planet, Remus is the site of their private industries and training facilities that are away from their public face in Harlech and the Hiring Hall on the continent of Romulus.

Outreach is the primary hiring location for the mercenary trade from the 3030s after Wolf’s Dragoons opened the Hiring Hall until its destruction at the hands of disenfranchised mercenaries and later Word of Blake in 3067.

---(Anything below this isn't relevant to our time line)---

3135 - Outreach was known as the center for the mercenary trade in the mid-thirty-first century, a site of the last of the Star League‘s Martial Olympiads that later became home of the famous Clansmen-turned-mercenary Wolf‘s Dragoons and the giant ‘Mech manufacturer GM-Blackwell. Today, however, this world is less than a shadow of its former self, reduced to a devastated, radioactive cinder that only a handful of stubborn souls still call home. Most historians claim the Word of Blake Jihad began with the assault on Outreach, in late 3067, when a surprise blitzkrieg by renegade mercenaries sacked the planetary capital of Harlech in an operation coordinated with and supported by the Blakists. A follow-up ambush from a pirate jump point by Word of Blake WarShips obliterated the planet‘s spaceborne defenses, including the Wolf‘s Dragoons fleet and both orbital battle stations. Even as the surviving elements of the most feared mercenaries in the galaxy tried desperately to regroup or withdraw, the Blakist fleet proceeded to bombard the planet with naval weapons and nuclear warheads. The continent of Remus, heart of the Dragoons‘ military industries and research, along with the Tetsuhara Proving Grounds and the main GM-Blackwell Industries factory, was completely sterilized by nuclear fire, while every major city on the opposite continent of Romulus was pummeled by the guns of both WarShips and BattleMechs. The surviving forces of the Dragoons and their allies withdrew from the holocaust, abandoning the world that had been their only real home since leaving their Clan brethren in the early 3000s. What remains of the planet now is a marginally habitable rock whose single large ocean, the Argosyan Sea, is saturated by fallout from Remus‘ devastation. Little vegetation grows on Romulus, and what farming and business still goes on to sustain the planet‘s decimated population now happens in domed or subterranean cities, where air and water purifiers imported from off-world struggle to remove the worst of the poisoned planet‘s harmful effects. The effective capital and primary spaceport on Outreach is New Kearny, a mostly subterranean city built from the ruins of Harlech, on the edge of what once was Lake Kearny, Outreach‘s largest freshwater body. Now overlooking a basin of baked-hard clay, New Kearny is home to nearly half the planetary population. The Jaime Wolf Memorial Interplanetary Spaceport, located on the city‘s outskirts, is dedicated to the founder and leader of the Wolf‘s Dragoons, who ushered in a new era for Outreach after the Fourth Succession War, and died in his fateful defense of the planet during the Jihad.

No fluff book. From Battletech/Megamek.
Posted Image

Currently I'm at Saint Ives. Which, for this moment, is approximately where the Zhizhu Merc Unit will be stationed.
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 21 September 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#6 Seeker Kirov

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

9 parts damaged and 1 part destroyed? Are you sure that person is ASE certified?

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostAugust Immanuel, on 21 September 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

9 parts damaged and 1 part destroyed? Are you sure that person is ASE certified?

Difficult to maintain due to a number of reasons. It doesn't help that I can't get some of the necessary parts shipped. I got the mech on the black market, the factory is on a side against me. I'm trying to find a way to retrofit it with custom, more available variants of the weapons. It also doesn't help the main tech there is completely out of his league. Technology's kinda too advanced for him. He's on the list of people that are getting thrown out of the airlock -- I mean people I'll be letting go.

A problem with Battletech is much of the technology is very forgotten. Sadly barely more than 20 years isn't enough to properly train the schools that train the technicians in how the new technology works or good repair techniques along those lines. Things like NARC are especially difficult to repair as they didn't start reappearing until 3035 (and until then were extinct for nearly 300 years). He broke the NARC launcher with his lack of knowledge in it.

Mechs are always in a state of disrepair.

Even so, ironically, in a recent fight of Locust, Shadowhawk, Thunderbolt and Battlemaster against Kitfox, Nova, Summoner and Dire Wolf... the IS won despite being outclassed.

Lost 3 units, however, to their 4.

Edited by Koniving, 21 September 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#8 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostRonin X, on 21 September 2014 - 06:01 AM, said:

from these guys years ago: http://www.mechcorps.com/

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 21 September 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#9 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 20 September 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

Posted Image

I was going to make a video/twitch.tv guide for MechWarrior Online.... I was getting tired of seeing guides made by novices that perpetuate misinformation......

I'm still not sure whether I want to release all the secrets yet to the community, but I can guarantee I would cover all bases and make one hell of a guide.

#10 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 21 September 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

I was going to make a video/twitch.tv guide for MechWarrior Online.... I was getting tired of seeing guides made by novices that perpetuate misinformation......

I'm still not sure whether I want to release all the secrets yet to the community, but I can guarantee I would cover all bases and make one hell of a guide.

Pictures or it didn't happen... ;)

Edited by 7ynx, 21 September 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#11 Seeker Kirov

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 September 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

Difficult to maintain due to a number of reasons. It doesn't help that I can't get some of the necessary parts shipped. I got the mech on the black market, the factory is on a side against me. I'm trying to find a way to retrofit it with custom, more available variants of the weapons. It also doesn't help the main tech there is completely out of his league. Technology's kinda too advanced for him. He's on the list of people that are getting thrown out of the airlock -- I mean people I'll be letting go.

So uh, I thought I was pretty familiar with MekHQ but clearly I was wrong. Where oh where can I play the version that you have?

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostAugust Immanuel, on 21 September 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

So uh, I thought I was pretty familiar with MekHQ but clearly I was wrong. Where oh where can I play the version that you have?

Black market is just buying mechs as a mercenary while at Outreach (just what I called it. I have a very limited selection of mechs available; it seems to change depending on which planet I'm on and what day it is. Planets with factories are selling me MUCH better stuff than planets without; from what I noticed there's 3 sorts. Factory planets where when you're near them you get a much higher chance of a high quality mech; usually for a steeper price. Random planets, which apparently have scrapyards; horrific condition but dirt cheap. And Outreach I call the Black Market. Mint or semi-mint condition mechs available in 3054, including some Clan ones. Prices higher than scrap yards but cheaper than factories. Issue is fixing them up and broken parts. But not nearly as bad as Scrapyard quality mechs.) So I don't think that's any different from normal megamek HQ.

I'm using the latest one on Megamek's site. Some minor mods. Mostly portrait additions and 'random events' (like the bar fight, caused a few pilots/techs some injuries, made one person quit. Got another issue where 'unknown' is sabotaging my items in storage. Other than firing everyone I have absolutely no idea how to deal with it). I am on a multiplayer campaign. I've been doing missions on and off as practice (and personal hype) for CW. Random events makes for some interesting reading but so far it just makes the game much more difficult.

The failing tech there is a low-end veteran technician. Getting ahold of parts for for a non-Liao mech in Liao territory is difficult, especially since my unit has a Liao backing. The Davions might let me pass through their space but I have sanctions against me, they won't sell to me. Then there's the invasion efforts up above causing shortages in supply making it even more difficult. I replaced him on there with the tech that's been keeping up my King Crab. Was able to fix most of the mech but still no access to NARC beacons (automatically failing rolls to find them because of hostilities.) I'm likely to have to do a mission against the Mariks or Kurita to try and steal some NARC launchers from downed mechs. (Don't know if this is standard megamek or random events as I'm still learning a fair bit of the interface).

Some of the weapons on those mechs were Clan-tech for the sake of experimenting with it for ideas. Gotta have an elite tech and spare parts to do good maintenance with those. I only have one and keeping up some salvaged ER lasers isn't a priority. Recently my King Crab's shoulder actuator was non-repairable so that's retaken the top spot.

This campaign's been practice and learning how to use it, though. What I'm gonna do soon is restart again, set the year to 3047, and then document what happens as a journal or log for the community hyperpulse generator and use it as a backstory for Zhizhu Mercs.

I gotta say.. Clan mechs aren't all that fantastic even in BT. Once an IS mech gets close and starts brawling, that Clan mech is screwed. Up against Lordred last night, I destroyed a building and marched in with a Dire Wolf like the Kool Aid Man! (OH YEAH!) Started blasting away at the Battlemaster. The SHK jumped behind my Dire Wolf. The two of them kicked me, both hit the same leg. Hip, upper leg, lower leg, and foot actuators all destroyed. Ever seen a Dire Wolf fighting with its face to the ground, holding itself up with one arm and shooting with the other while being kicked over and over again?

I never seen something so pathetic... The only good mech out of the bunch was the Nova, up until I lost my side torso. Building up 1 heat every second because part of your engine is damaged is bad. That's 10 every second. Kept melting my heatsinks. Started with 18... had less than 7 when I died, and almost all of them were just melting while fighting with 6 ER ML, that I reduced the power to until they were doing 1 heat each for 3 damage and greatly reduced range. Even then...still too hot. My pilot finally passed out and that was it.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

But enough about Battletech...

Anyone else got any nifty posters with good tips on them?

#14 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

View Post7ynx, on 21 September 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

Pictures or it didn't happen... ;)

I have 1 guide that I made in 2012/2013 coming into MWO on my youtube channel. It covered keybinds and some basics, but the jump sniping meta hadn't really hit yet (I think SRMs were big at the time i.e. centaurion/atlas).

I came back this May and already managed to hook up with some of the best players in MWO and had some drops/stints in the competitive scene (or lackthereof).

I could make an awesome video guide covering advance topics, like angles, meta aka new upcoming metas (play to win), new tactics like hillhumping/peeking (jump sniping tends to be dead) that could be very interesting. Of course, it would be orientated toward elitist type players who are good at MWO but have no experience in competitive fps, or blatanly n00by players who want to become good and play to win. Those who like piloting mechs with 1 machine gun , 1lrm20, and 1medium laser, yeah, this guide wouldn't be for you.

anyway, like I said, some information is already known by most top end players but I just don't know if I want to divulge everyone at this point.

I could actually make one on par with MavRCK's tier list, but aimed more at strategy vs. builds.

Edited by E N E R G Y, 21 September 2014 - 12:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users