Dev Vlog#8 Developer Interview, Mad Dog Footage, King Crab Concept!

118 replies to this topic

#41 Seeker Kirov

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

View PostShredhead, on 20 September 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

They used the Mad Cat legs for it, as by lore. Doesn't look strange to me.

They use the same molds. It's not that hard to re-size a mold.

#42 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

amazing to see Alex at work designing the King Crab and it looks great, and the log on the whole was good.

Thanks

#43 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

Always good to see some new faces at PGI. Thanks for sharing some insights into sound and art development for MWO.

Also the upload over the weekend is appreciated!

#44 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

The only complaint I recall was when the laser recharge (or was it pulse laser) recharge sounds were added in Open Beta, and it was said loudly and clearly by many that it was awful (and it was godawful) and was removed shortly after. I'm hoping those would be improved and reintroduced, since it helps syncing with when you're ready to fire... similar to how you know when your PPCs/ERPPCs are almost done recharging.

In all fairness, I could go for some more mech pron from Alex, because as much as I have zero talent and creating art... that was ****ing glorious. This Vlog was actually enjoyable... hmm... I wonder why...

Edited by Deathlike, 20 September 2014 - 02:52 PM.

#45 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

hard to tell anything from concept art,  but I   was expecting a hulking land pig like the Daishi. still the King crab looked kewl. Mad Dog was smokin.

Edited by SgtMagor, 20 September 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#46 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

View Postmerz, on 20 September 2014 - 02:13 PM, said:

am i the only person confused by the mad dog model's upper leg section looking strange? both in terms of scale and implementation, it looks like the normally top-heavy mad dog has been put onto cataphract/marauder's lower extremities..

i understand there may be some kind of technical reason for this, but it seems very odd in context of mad dog having relatively slim forelegs and a more pronounced reversed joint where the lower leg joins in..

Because the Timber Wolf and Mad Dog share leg molds, they share the same leg models. Is that a good idea? In my opinion, hell no. The Mad Dog looks like it grew trees for legs.

#47 Almighty Mania

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

At the beginning of the time lapse, one gets to see the pictures he's going to use as inspiration ... and the one that in my opinion looked the best (towards the middle), must have been his first 'genious attempt' as it is basically how the King Crab ended up looking like.

RESULT ... HAPPY DAYS!!!

Alex is the MASTER!!!

Oh and the Vulture looks awesome too, though I will agree with others and say that the legs look slightly too large.
Although this hasn't got anything to do with Alex as far as I can tell as he is not the one who implements his designs into the game.

Edited by Almighty Mania, 20 September 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#48 Loganauer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 139 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

Would much rather have barrels for lasers for the mad dog, but I guess they can be resdesigned later. Along with gauss rifle design across all mechs

Edited by Loganauer, 20 September 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#49 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

Someone ask Alex how many hours a day did he have to practice to get that good.

#50 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

#1. Alex good work as usual. I don't have to say he's awesome for the bazillionth time. I laughed at the picture of the crab holding Rarity (a play on the "This kills the crab" image that's been spammed a bazillion times), That's a pretty old picture there buddy! (From 9:25 to 9:57 if you're curious)
On a side note, the King Crab looks pretty short, and it has open/closable claws. The 2 things I was hoping to see from the King Crab. I might make this guy my main 100 ton assault (unless Stone Rhino/Behemoth gets in, and I can justify not having the Atlas D-DC)

#2. Nice to see the sound designer "Shawn Holton" (did I spell it right?) getting mentioned. I always loved all the sounds and music in MWO. The weapons, cockpit sounds, and various music tracks I love so darn much.

#3. Nice to see my favorite mech (Mad Dog) in action. Surprised at how friggin gigantic the legs are though, eh more reason for him to perch on top of hills, don't wanna show those ******* massive easy to hit legs to anyone. It also discourages the 6 SRM 6 build a little bit.
Visually though, not too much of a fan of the legs, I think they just need to be shrunk just a tiny bit to look nice. However, if it's for gameplay reasons, I guess I can live with it.
The short barrel arms surprise me a little. With short + thin arms, these arms aren't reliable for protecting your torsos at all (at least it protects a little better than the Jagermech/Blackjacks.

#51 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

Did anyone notice the timestamp that shows Alex did that on Wednesday and Thursday?

But I doubt that was his first sketch. Alex's work looks heavy and mechanical before he even adds any color. Amazing what a grasp he has on making a Battlemech look like a Battlemech.

#52 Mangeras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,442 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationEmsland in Germanien

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:14 PM

Nice look behind the scenes. I was missing some interesting Infos but hearing that Sound Dude and watching the creation of the King Crab was very cool. An extra very for dat King Krab Design.

#53 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

looking forward to double drilling the clan dragon full of goose this september 23rd

#54 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

View PostReno Blade, on 20 September 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

As I see nobody with the concept art of the King Crab from the awesome behind-the-scenes from Alex Iglesias (Flying Debris) in here, I hope it's ok to post it here:
Posted Image

anyone elce see the claws opening and closing like catapult missile launcher bay doors?

#55 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:22 PM

View PostFrost Lord, on 20 September 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

anyone elce see the claws opening and closing like catapult missile launcher bay doors?

I think they were planning on doing just that in game actually

#56 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:41 PM

I am just speechless at that time lapse.

Cant wait to use one, better start saving up the cbills as I aint getting the unique one from the packages.

#57 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:42 PM

If the final King Crab look anything like that... I'm not sure I'll bother driving anything else - at least on the IS side :) The concept art looks amazing.

#58 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:47 PM

View PostSolomon Ward, on 20 September 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

Wow just wow.

Watching the master at work.

The Crab is such a beauty.

Yup very captivated watching the concept be drawn, very cool. Tops it off that it is a simply amazing design!

Not that I am biased or anything cause the King Crab is just awesome.. ..seriously going to be best mech in game as far as im concerned :)

Edited by White Bear 84, 20 September 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#59 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

I can't believe I'm just now seeing this! I absolutely love concept art and to make it 10x better, we got to see him do it! I've said it before but that's one of my favorite things in any game I play, just seeing HOW they did things... and their thought process and inspiration for a design. You can clearly see that with his reference images. Great work!

Can't wait to have my King Crab, that's for sure. I do love my Direwolf and my Atlas but this will be so much fun to play around with.

#60 xSONOHx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 177 posts
  • LocationEarth (Terra)

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:13 PM

I enjoyed seeing my favorite mech from my childhood (Mad Dog/ Vulture) in-game and the King Crab looks great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users