New Gpu R9 290X - Worse Fps Than My Nvidia 560Ti

61 replies to this topic

#1 DoubleDown11

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:43 PM

I just upgraded my GPU to an HIS R9 290X but have extremely low FPS in mech warrior. I struggle to hit 30 FPS on low settings, on medium or high it averages around 20. This is worse than I was getting on my 560ti where I would get 35 - 40 FPS pretty consistantly. I ran the Tomb Raider benchmark on Ultimate Graphics settings and got 60 FPS average.

My Rig is an Intel Core I7-950
18 GB Ram
R9 290X 4GB GPU

I have updated to latest drivers and run the MWO repair tool. I have also tried running on DX9 instead of DX11 but it does not seem to make any difference. Does this GPU just not work well with MWO? Anyone have any insight or suggestions?

#2 Aznpersuasion89

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • Locationca

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:52 PM

I am running 2 270x devils on high dx11 and vsync at 60. I imagine your 290x should be similar. Drivers up to date?

#3 Erox

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:57 PM

I switched from a Ti 560 to a R280 which should be a lot faster. But my fps dropped as well.

Edited by Erox, 20 September 2014 - 11:59 PM.

#4 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:01 AM

mwo optimization not good

#5 DoubleDown11

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:02 AM

Yes I have tried with both the drivers that came on the disc with the GPU, and also the most current drivers downloaded from AMD's website. In both cases I have very poor FPS. Other games appear to run great, just not MWO.

#6 FogOfW4r

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationLost in space.

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:14 AM

Well this game is partnered with Nvidia so I'm guessing its not as optimized for AMD yet.

Edited by FogOfW4r, 21 September 2014 - 12:31 AM.

#7 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:20 AM

O_o

Reinstall the drivers, using DDU

#8 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:34 AM

The problem is probably the cpu, nvidia drivers seem slightly more efficient, or amd clocks the gpu back more agressively if the cpu cant feed it, dunno.

If you've not overclocked that cpu yet, it'll get you quite a bit of extra performance in many games.

#9 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:36 AM

Hmmm ... my AMD 7770 was getting 40 FPS ... my AMD 7870 was definitely faster. Considering the vast majority of games which run Cry Engine will be optimized on an AMD platform (See Xbox One and PS/4) it is a bit surprising to see the regression. I'd say there is a driver issue. Let me know if you get a resolution to your problem as I am considering adding a 290X to my stable of cards.

#10 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:40 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 21 September 2014 - 12:34 AM, said:

The problem is probably the cpu, nvidia drivers seem slightly more efficient, or amd clocks the gpu back more agressively if the cpu cant feed it, dunno.

If you've not overclocked that cpu yet, it'll get you quite a bit of extra performance in many games.

For almost every game currently published you will not get any appreciable gain above the equivalent i5 3570K variant ... the greatest determining factor will be GPU bound not CPU. Yes there will be some exceptions and my Intel is a bit older ... but I would assume this holds true for the i5 4570K chips as well.

i7 anything that is a desktop processor would net nearly negligible gain with OC of the CPU. I am fairly sure you can verify this on either tomshwardware tests or andandtech

#11 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:48 AM

Out of interest; you did uninstall (completely and properly not via add/remove programs) the Nvidia drivers first?

Also the 290x runs much hotter so check your temps and make sure the card isn't defective.

It aso uses more power than the 560ti so how old is your PSU; make and wattage.

View PostCrockdaddyAoD, on 21 September 2014 - 12:40 AM, said:

For almost every game currently published you will not get any appreciable gain above the equivalent i5 3570K variant ... the greatest determining factor will be GPU bound not CPU. Yes there will be some exceptions and my Intel is a bit older ... but I would assume this holds true for the i5 4570K chips as well.

i7 anything that is a desktop processor would net nearly negligible gain with OC of the CPU. I am fairly sure you can verify this on either tomshwardware tests or andandtech

He is running an old I7 chip that at stock clocks is just over 3ghz in MWO terms that is slow. Even 3.5ghz chips are slow in MWO.

And for the billionth time MWO is the reverse of the norm; MWO is CPU bound not GPU.

Edited by DV McKenna, 21 September 2014 - 12:49 AM.

#12 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:51 AM

Yeah.. but in MWO I wouldn't be sure about saying GPU bound not CPU.

#13 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:14 AM

Also, in Catalyst control center did you make sure all power saving features were disabled?

Did you make sure (I know it sounds dumb but have to ask) you plugged in the GPU power cables from your PSU? Usually 1 or 2 6pin connectors, depending on card.

Also, what board are you using and what size PSU? Makes a big difference. As stated the AMD card does take a lot more juice to let loose.

#14 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:34 AM

Im running a sapphire toxic r9 270x 60-80 fps, avg 65fps and a 2nd gen i7 all on ultra dx9, dx11 was to buggy.
v sync is off. So yeh either your cpu or power source if the drivers are all good.

Edited by Cold Cash, 21 September 2014 - 01:38 AM.

#15 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:18 AM

This may have been true in 2009, but certainly isn't the case now. And MWO is the king of CPU bottlenecks, unless you make a ridiculous multiplayer arma 3 custom mission, or an epic battle in rome 2.

#16 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:11 AM

You are most certainly CPU bound if you have not OCed that first gen i7 with this game.

Here is my guess, the load on your GPU is so low, that it is switching power-states which is given you even worse FPS, during the power state change it becomes too slow, then it switches back to a higher state, load goes down, slows down, so on.

Run an event logger.

#17 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:35 AM

Lordred's explanation makes some sense.

In any case, OP, it's time to replace that CPU and Mobo, and RAM if necessary, so you can make use of that $500 GPU. All other possible minor issues aside, that setup is never going to not hold back a high end card like a 290X, let alone give good performance in MWO. Even 35-45 with what were no doubt savage dips into the 20s in any kind of action (when you need framerate the most) is not remotely good, and that's as much as you're ever going to get on that CPU. Meanwhile, that GPU is going to sit there and twiddle its thumbs, because giving even 45fps requires a fraction of its power.

Edited by Catamount, 21 September 2014 - 06:36 AM.

#18 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:38 AM

Isn't there a way to keep the card from downclocking? In nvidia control panel you can set power management to "prefer max performance" whenever a game is running, there must be a way to do something similar with amd cards.

#19 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:41 AM

I run an i5-2320 and an r9 290 windforce OCed to 1299 core, 1655 ram. I play with vsync on and maintain 60 fps with only about 45% gpu usage max. If i take off vsync my framerate scryrockets to anywhere from 85-150 fps depending on map, fighting conditions etc. You must have driver problems. Whenever you get a new gfx card you want to uninstall and reinstall mwo because all of their files go apeshit if not. I came from a 7950 so i didnt reinstall but im sure if i did fps would improve a bit more aswell.

EDIT: Also my cpu doesn't bottleneck my gpu at all btw. The only game i have gotten it to bottleneck in is arma 3 supersampled to 4k @ max settings lol, i5 ftw.

EDIT 2: Yeah dudes. MWO is totally cpu bound btw. I could maintain 80+ fps with my 7950 and even on my htpc with my 7750 i could maintain 50ish fps. CPU is really all that matters in mwo. If you have an i7 and a 560 you should be able to basically max mwo. But with some amd 6 core trash and a gtx 780ti you wouldnt be able to get 40+. My cousin has an fx6300 and gtx 770 (i didnt assemble it for him or i wouldve gone intel/amd or intel/ nvidia) he is barely able to maintain 40 fps with mid settings at 1600x900. The amd cpus are trash on per core performance and amd loves per core perf lol.

Edited by POOTYTANGASAUR, 21 September 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#20 DoubleDown11

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:36 AM

Ok sorry there has been a lot of replies overnight. Yes the power is plugged in, it requires 2 8 pin power connectors. I have a 1000W 80+ certified PSU, so power should not be an issue. I have also set my power options to max performance in windows. I did uninstall the old drivers through add remove programs, i will try using the DDU utility as mentioned, I hope that is a reasonable fix. yes my CPU is a first gen I7, but I really don't think that is causing this issue, like I said I was able to easily get 60FPS running the Benchmark built into the Tomb Raider game. And also I was getting better FPS before i upgraded the graphics card, if my CPU was holding me back I think i would have had the same issue before hand.

Edited by DoubleDown11, 21 September 2014 - 07:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users