Stalker 5S - Please Help.

28 replies to this topic

#1 Psyrex

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:36 AM

Hi all,

I recently bought a Stalker 5S and set it up with 4 ER LL's and a LRM to use as a sniper.

Lets just say i wasn't happy with it, so i was wondering if anyone has a decent loadout for this mech so i can use it and i don't feel like i've wasted my money.

Thanks all.

Edited by Psyrex, 22 September 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#2 Ogvai Ogvai Helmschrott

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:45 AM

my load out is very...spesific, Twin AMS, 6ML's 4 Streak 2's and a 300(i think) STD eng, max arm on the front, and 3 tons of Stream ammo, and 2 tons of AMS ammo for a high dmg brawler with light mech destruction capability

Also it moves @65 KPH with Speed Twerk

Edited by Zayltsin66, 22 September 2014 - 05:02 AM.

#3 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:51 AM

Most non-brawler (i.e. not SRM) Stalker 3F builds should do fine. 2xERLL+4xML+4xSSRM2, 2xPPC+4xML+4xLRM5, 2xLPL+4xML+4xALRM5, any heavy LRM boat setup if you are into that. You want to avoid SRMs because they require sticking to short ranges, and that will get you in trouble due to limited torso twist. All of those are too hot to use all weapons all the time -- you have to use either long, or short range weapons, adding the rest only when heat permits.

Like most assaults, the Stalker is too slow to GTFO when in trouble or once it walks out in the open. Learning the maps and positioning carefully will be crucial to your success. You have 2 or 3 full alphas almost regardless of the build -- use them well.

Edited by Modo44, 22 September 2014 - 04:52 AM.

#4 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:35 AM

View PostPsyrex, on 22 September 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

Hi all,

I recently bought a Stalker 5S and set it up with 4 ER LL's and a LRM to use as a sniper.

Lets just say i wasn't happy with it, so i was wondering if anyone has a decent loadout for this mech so i can use it and i don't feel like i've wasted my money.

Thanks all.

Need more info. I could start talking to you about the Stalker now, but I don't know enough about what you've already got in it.

What engine are you using currently? Does it still have the XL in it? How many heat sinks? What's your armor distribution? Which weapons placements did you use? Are you using both AMSes? Endo-Steel? Did you get double heat sinks for it yet?

I also don't know enough about you as a pilot.

What are you good at during combat? What do you like to do? What position are you usually in when the fight breaks out? Where do you go during it? What kind of targets do you prefer to shoot at? Would you rather snipe, or is it just that you heard the Stalker is good as an ER Laser boat?

Give more on where you are and where you want to go, and you'll get info better suited to your situation and methodology.

Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, 22 September 2014 - 05:36 AM.

#5 Psyrex

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:24 AM

Sorry Quickdraw, you're quite right.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5466e97c6086c73

That's my current build.

I normally run my raven 3L as a sniper with ER LL's and I got a bit of a taste for sniping, hence this stalker build.

Normally in a match I'll head to a high point to spot targets and take a few pot shots, doing a bit of damage and marking for LRM's.
Later I'll just try to get into sniping positions.

Hope this gives you what you need and thanks for the help.

Edit:
I guess with this mech being so slow I'm often finding myself face to face with a target and getting hammered.

Edited by Psyrex, 22 September 2014 - 06:30 AM.

#6 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:18 AM

Thanks Psy. Alright, this gives me a lot more to work with. Hold on, this is gonna be a long one.

Let me get my music playing....

...there we go.

Okay, first things first-

This is a Stalker. Stalkers are 85-ton assault 'mechs.

Assault 'mechs are the big bad boys of the battlefield. If you want something with loads of durability and the capacity for massive sizes or huge numbers of weapon, you go to assault 'mechs. Assault 'mechs are not agile, they are not fast, they are not small. Assault 'mechs are terrible at hiding and terrible at running- but they make excellent team anchors, drawing incoming fire away from smaller 'mechs that may not be able to handle it, providing pivotal points in the battle, and turning the tide where they decide to deposit their own incredible volumes of fire.

Stalkers are a specialized form of assault 'mech. Compared to other assault 'mechs, they have certain strengths and weaknesses that help to define their role.

We'll go over the weaknesses first, because it's easier to go from those to strengths; end on a high note, as it were.

The weaknesses of Stalkers are as follows:
  • Stalkers have massive side torsos. The center torso is a strip barely wider than the cockpit running from top to bottom. This makes it incredibly easy to kill a Stalker with an XL engine.
  • Stalker arms don't cover much of the side torso. The arms are little boxes on the sides, they're not going to protect you from fire coming at you from the left and right. Most people shooting at a Stalker are going to ignore the arms- while there are often a lot of weapons there, the side torso is usually barely any harder to take out, and it takes the arm with it.
  • Stalkers have big fat stumpy legs. This makes the legs excellent targets for anyone looking to kill a Stalker, particularly if they suspect it of storing ammunition there.
  • Stalkers have even worse horizontal motion than virtually any other assault 'mech. Their arms have no lower actuators, so they get no horizontal, and their twist range (outside of the 3F) is abysmal.
  • Outside of the Misery, Stalkers have no ballistic hardpoints. Contrary to popular belief, this is really only a weakness in flexibility- ballistic weapons tend to be better for 'twitch' play, where it's about snapping off the right shot at the right time, but they're generally worse for players who are better at planning and smooth, steady motion, who can take advantage of the properties of lasers and missiles.
The strengths of Stalkers are as follows:
  • Stalkers have squillions of weapon hardpoints spread all over the place. If you want to have lots of different weapons for lots of different purposes, this is one of the go-to 'mechs. It's hard to overfill a single location with weapons, because there are always other hardpoints you can put it in.
  • Stalkers have very high arm energy weapon mounts. This lets them peek over hills with arm lasers and PPCs, making obstacles less of an issue than with some 'mechs.
  • Stalkers have almost no center torso. This makes them incredibly difficult to actually kill with a standard engine- remember that once a location is destroyed incoming weapons fire that hits it is cut in half before transferring to the next location. Twisting your dead side into incoming fire can extend your life span- and hitting you dead center on the nose is hard to begin with.
  • Stalkers have small bodies from the front or behind. Anyone trying to shoot at you who is looking you in the face is going to have a rougher time of it than with most assault 'mechs, because most of your height is leg, and you can lose one of those without losing any actual weapons. This makes them amazing in stand-up fights against other assault 'mechs, assuming the weapons loadout is right.
  • The arms are small. People tend to ignore Stalker arms- this makes them relatively safe places to store ammunition, as they are unlikely to be shot. Enemies will go for your nose, trying to reduce your firepower as fast as possible.
  • Missile bay doors. If you mount LRMs in the arms, you can close the doors when entering close combat, reducing incoming damage to the arms just to boost the resilience of your arm weapons. Also useful if you opt not to mount missiles in the arms, though there are very few reasons not to.

That said, you've chosen an assault 'mech with which to make a pure sniper. This is bad for a number of reasons. Basically it boils down to this- It's relatively safe to make a light 'mech into a pure sniper. They're fast enough to reposition and small enough to hide when they need to.

An assault 'mech that is a pure sniper is like an assault 'mech that is a pure missile boat- it works only if you've got a team that works specifically with you.

By using your Stalker exclusively for the ERLL setup with a side of LRMs, you're making two large assumptions.

First of all, you're assuming all enemies will be far enough away that you can stay partly concealed and snipe at them. This is an especially dangerous assumption with a slow 'mech. The Stalker, being an Assault 'mech, is always slow. You can't escape.

Secondly, you're taking a head-on can't-ignore-it combat 'mech and assuming it will be a great choice for sniping and nothing else. This is a dangerous assumption because your opposite on the enemy team is very likely to be a faceful of gun sort of 'mech, and you're taking both your armor and your direct firepower potential away in exchange for doing a job that a smaller, faster 'mech could do more or less equally well.

That said, your assumptions can be validated to a point. Your build is not inherently wrong. But it could be a lot better.

I can see that you're using the dual AMSes that are the only reason to take a 5S rather than a 3F Stalker. This is a very good thing- it means you're aware of the differences between Stalkers and are trying to take advantage of them when you can. Keep those AMSes.

I can also see that you've mounted maximum armor. If you're really dedicated to being a sniper above all else, this is not really necessary. If you want the Stalker to function like a Stalker, though, this is an excellent choice.

Let's look at your weapons too.

You have four ER Large Lasers and an LRM-15. I can understand what you're going for here. With four ERLL, you can keep up an absolutely constant stream of laser fire until you overheat, and the LRM keeps you active while behind cover. However, there are a number of issues with this.

The ghost heat cap for ERLL is 2. Firing more large lasers (of any kind) than that simultaneously spikes your heat- especially considering the ER model large laser is very noticeably hotter than the standard one. Additionally, with a burn time of 1.25 seconds and reload of 3.25, that fourth ERLL is only making up for .75 seconds of laser burn every cycle- not enough to be worth the weight, the extra heat on a unison strike, or the overall investment.

LRMs are an inferior support weapon in this instance, as well. You're in an assault 'mech and you're peeking as little of your 'mech as you can out of cover at any given moment. You shouldn't have to cower behind cover, and if you do need to take cover, you should use that time to reposition entirely so that you aren't where you just were a moment ago. On top of that, your supplement to your weapons that you're taking a massive heat increase on in order to shoot at long range is another weapon that is long range, but can't shoot at short range.

What you need here is a short-range weapon to supplement your ERLLs so that you can actually do something when someone gets into your face without overheating and shutting down to become a pure target. Another long range weapon isn't going to help you noticeably.

Additionally, you're using Ferro-Fibrous armor. In exchange for that one ton it bought you (I checked) you're eating up 14 internal slots of space that could go to bulky useful things, like more heat sinks. As a general rule of thumb, Ferro-Fibrous should not be mounted in anything Heavy or Assault. There are exceptions, but get more practice at building 'mechs before you try to find them.

This use of Ferro is especially bad since you're saving one ton with it- and you have two tons plus of free weight not being used. Regardless of what you're doing with your 'mech, spend all your weight if you get a chance. Not having Ferro on your original build alone would lead to having an additional heat sink for longer firing times and more burst capability.

With all of that in mind, there are two ways you can go from here- and here are the things I would do to go in those directions.

Build One: Laser Guidance

This build is a bit lighter armored, and caters to sniping and spotting for LRMs. After removing one ER Large Laser and the Ferro-Fibrous armor, there was quite a bit of tonnage and space to play around with. The first point of interest is the TAG replacing one of the ER Large Lasers. If you're spotting for LRMs, that's very useful, and since it's in the same high mount as one of the ER Larges, you can always use it alongside them. Anyone you're shooting for damage knows you're there anyways, so the blinky red light is hardly a hazard.

The increased ammo for the AMSes helps you stay alive if spotted for missiles while sniping, which leads to less time spent ducking and more time dakka (or rather, zap) ing at the enemy. I find that two tons is not quite enough for two AMSes, and while two and a half is as much as you'll usually need, that extra half a ton doesn't cost you anything.

For supplemental weapons, two medium lasers and a pair of SRM-4s are mounted in the side torsos. Medium lasers are a fundamental close-combat weapon. They're relatively heat efficient, they have good range, and they're small and light. No further explanation is needed there. For the missiles, I went with SRM-4s. Many people swear by the 6 with Artemis, or Streak 2s. I chose 4s for the best reason of all- efficiency. At two tons and one slot, they're vastly more heat and weight efficient than SRM-6s. The spread on a 4 is small enough not to need Artemis as well, and they fire faster to boot. Streak 2s are wasted on Stalkers- you really need lower arms for lock-on arm motion if you're going to get the most out of Streak racks. They can be used with Stalkers and other elbowless 'mechs, but it takes a lot of practice, and a lot of error (and a little trial). SRM-4s are also more ammo-efficient than 6s.

The remaining space is filled up with heat sinks and CASE. CASE is there on the off chance the ammo in the side torsos gets hit (or legs). Side torso ammo hits are rare with side torsos this full, but they do happen, and a ton that couldn't have been turned into a heat sink due to space issues is a tiny price to pay.

The increased number of heat sinks is enough to fire all three ER Larges at full rate for half a minute before overheat, in the event you need the long-range firepower right now. This is much better than spending five tons and generating extra heat to cover that tiny .75 second hole in your chain of fire every 3.25 seconds.

At the same time, they allow use of the close-combat weapons without the ER Larges for almost two minutes- for all intents and purposes, forever. If you throw in one of the ER Large Lasers for added firepower, you still get almost half a minute of maxed fire- long enough that either you're dead, or whatever you were shooting at is.

Also, have a look at the armor distribution here. Stalker side torso fronts are HUEG. Because of this, I predicated the armor forwards really hard. Usually, I go for 1/4 to 1/3 of the armor for a location on the rear, just to ensure not losing to surprise rear-arc shots. However, in a Stalker, you can't turn and twist well enough to get anyone out of your rear arc. Either they're quick enough to stay there, as for a Light, Medium, or fast Heavy, or they've got so much firepower you're dead before you finish turning around, as with a heavily-armed Heavy or an Assault. Then again, if they do shoot you in the butt, they'll probably go for center torso to core you. Since Stalker CTs are narrow in front, that armor can afford to be distributed much more heavily towards the rear. Still, most of the armor by far is in front- because the Stalker is a 'mech for facing the enemy and smashing them.

Last of all, I put a Beagle Active Probe in. There was enough weight for it, and I almost subbed a DHS- but that would have left a ton floating around and CASE in only one side torso. But there's a reason for that, too.

As a sniper, you're probably going to be hiding way back in the back of allied ranks. This means two important things.

First, targets are really far away. The Beagle increases your sensor range from 800 to 1000 meters, so even if your allies can't see it, if you can, you have a better chance of locking it for missile bombardment. To boost this further, you could pick up the Sensor Range module and kick that 1000m up to 1200m, just so you can sensor almost as far as the ER lasers shoot. This will also help you with picking where on an enemy to shoot at.

Second, if something jumps you, it has a good chance of being an ECM light (or a pack of lights with one ECM light in it). Even if you can't get a good bead on it to shoot it, you can at least face it and lock onto it- and then your allies will be able to see that lock and piggyback off of it to LRM the target. Or at the very least they'll get the radar blip that tells them something was there and ambushed you (since there is no notification of an ally dying). Remember, team game.

There is, of course, another alternative.

Build Two: Underslung Smash Launcher

If you decide you're less in love with being a primarily sniping Stalker, but still want to be capable of it, this is the build to go with for the 5S.

Two ER Large Lasers is plenty of hurt at long range, and a heck of a lot cooler. They're still in the advantageous high arm mounts. You lose the 'constant stream of laser' capacity, but in exchange, you operate more like an actual sniper- shoot, duck, shoot, duck. The added benefit is you can fire full rate with the two lasers for absolutely ever with no issue. No heat issue at all. Duck only under fire.

This is actually deceptive of this Stalker- because the mainline fire power is the four medium lasers and two SRM-6es. I liken this to an underslung grenade launcher on a rifle because of how it works as well as the weapon positioning.

The Stalker is not now and not ever an agile 'mech. When driving a Stalker, you can take potshots at light 'mechs, but don't devote your whole firepower to it unless no other target is presenting itself. This is why these SRM-6 launchers have no Artemis. This is not a 'mech for precision strikes when in close range- it is a machine built to face other assaults in close range and bash them in the face. Precision is for those who can evade fire or at least rely on keeping all their weapons long enough to aim for that one perfect shot.

Endo steel has been removed for space considerations- between the sheer volume of 18 double heat sinks and the size of the twin SRM-6 launchers, there's simply no space to be had. Particularly not with ammo scattered everywhere.

Twin CASE makes its appearance again because sudden death is bad.

The engine is a tad smaller, but it's unlikely to be a noticeable difference at that point.

The legs are better armored, and so are the arms- this model is more likely to make it into close combat and stay there, in which case fire from all angles can be expected. The added armor is worth the trouble (especially with the leg ammo bins).

For both 'mechs:

The Stalker should not be driven like a 'true' sniper. It does not want to be off on its own hiding in a corner, peeking out and taking individual death shots at people. It is an assault 'mech that absorbs damage and can't dodge worth fish spit.

When you are sniping with a Stalker, whether it's the main purpose of the build or just one of its capabilities, you should be doing it from amongst your allies. Stalkers cannot cannot cannot handle being alone. The moment something leaves a solitary Stalker's field of view- in any direction- the game is over. Your protection against light 'mechs is other things that are capable of handling them.

These are things you can do with a Raven or even a snipe-equipped Medium or, in some cases, Heavy 'mech. None of these 'mechs are Stalkers, and Stalkers are none of these 'mechs.

The Stalker is a 'mech for seeking out your enemy and doing them harm. It is not a 'mech for protecting itself. Stay with your group, draw fire, and return it.

Well, that's an hour and a quarter gone. I hope this helped.

-QKD-CR0

Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, 22 September 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#7 Nyuuu

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

Just drop the LRM Launcher, pack in a std300 and fill every single slot with double heat sinks
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b55d4b1f6c7f6cb
Credit goes to http://www.mechspecs...php?topic=448.0
Beagle Active Probe is just an extra to help with your sniping adventures, Advance Zoom is a must, radar depreviation a very nice extra since it allows you to pop and hide so much more easily.
Remember to fire the Lasers in Groups of two, full alpha will overheat you very fast.

The build is admittedly better done on the Stalker 3F due to its better torso twist, but it is on any Stalker the most fun build I was able to find so far out of my 800 rounds played.

Edit: I feel embarrassed, but is anyone able to tell me how the smurfy preview works here?

Edited by Nyuuu, 22 September 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#8 Psyrex

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

Wow Quickdraw thats alot of information, thank you so much for taking the time to write all that out.
I'll read it all carefully and comment again.
Thank you everyone else as well.

#9 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

I should also add these notes:

No matter what you decide to do, don't sell the equipment and engine. ER Large Lasers are always useful, 310 is a perfectly useful engine size, and the loss in money you would take selling the bits off and then buying them back later is far too great.

Regardless, don't decide whether or not you're going to keep the Stalker until you've completed Elite skills on it. Finishing Elites doubles the value of all your Basic skills, and that makes worlds of difference for 'mech performance. In the meantime, try various weapons and equipment configurations until you've got it as good as you think you can. Loads of people have offloaded or dumped on builds/'mechs before completing elite skills and finding out what it's really like to pilot them long-term.

#10 Psyrex

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

I've decided to go with your second suggestion and give that a go.
I can see what you're saying with your post and it's helped a great deal.

Thanks again for all the help.
Fingers crossed.
Psy.

#11 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:31 PM

View PostPsyrex, on 22 September 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

Hi all,

Thanks all.

4LL on the 3F, or 2ppc1ac20 on the misery, not a fan of LRMs so I can't advise it.

The erLL dictate a certain playstyle, so it may not be up your alley. 2ppc1ac20 is decent, 2ppc1guass not as much due to the heavy nerfs of ppc.

Simply not one of the "better" mechs anymore due to all the energy weapon nerfs.

My advice will be the best here.

Edited by E N E R G Y, 22 September 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#12 On1m

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

First bit of advice is never listen to ENERGY. His advice is not very honest and doesn't suite any play style but his own. Best bet is to try some builds on smurfy http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/, and look at some of the stalker builds on MechSpecs http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/.

#13 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

I honestly actually usually kept the stock weapon loads on stalkers, always a decent amount of firepower no matter the range, and it keep getting stronger as it closes, naturally give it doubles, that 2nd ams, and such, and its just so much fun to always have a weapon to smack people with, no matter then range, or if you have line of sight or not

For ex: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ad7720831de8214 Very cold (bad listed heat eff but thats assuming you fire everything all at once but you wont, in reality it has lots of heat sinks to cool it self down) plenty of bang bang pew pew woosh, not slow (for an assault.......)

Edited by Just wanna play, 22 September 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#14 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

View PostOn1m, on 22 September 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

First bit of advice is never listen to ENERGY. His advice is not very honest and doesn't suite any play style but his own. Best bet is to try some builds on smurfy http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/, and look at some of the stalker builds on MechSpecs http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/.

First bit of advice is to actually listen to a competitive player who plays for one of the best teams in Mechwarrior Online currently.

I don't even have to divulge information or help anyone; I'm merely doing it out of my freewill because I see misinformation perpetuated by novice PC gamers, who simply loaded up MechWarrior as their first PC game, with no knowledge of anything competitive.

Furthermore, some of these players have such low ELO's, that it falsely inflates the misinformation because they actually do mediocre with their horrid builds and thus come onto threads like this, thinking the builds are beyond mediocre.

Actually, I will maybe make a guide soon to clear up the information, but until then, if you want REAL WORLD help in this game, from competitive gamers that actually have skill and even theory behind their actions, listen to either SJR (Steel Jaguar Reborn) or House of Lords (Lords).

There are some players on CSJx (Clan smoke jaguar) that know understand FPS theory as-well.

#15 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 22 September 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

egoblurb twice

Or you could try and talk to people without talking down to them or putting down others in the conversation. People in general tend to be more receptive to comments that don't imply (or flat out state) the speaker/typer's impression that they are better than most everyone.

Just a suggestion.

#16 On1m

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

ENERGY. The main problem with your advice is that it is predicated on trying to become a competitive player and playing with players who are also trying to become competitive players or who are already at that level. Builds for that level are predicated on team mates taking builds that enhance the strengths of that mech and compensate for its weaknesses. For the most part what you call top tier builds are not suitable for people who are just starting out in MW:O or in a certain mech. MW:O has a learning curve, and until you are familiar with how the game plays and the strengths and weaknesses of the various mechs and weapons, taking a top tier competitive build can stunt a players growth and do more harm than good. You also need to find the build that works for you. What one person says is a great build might not work for you but a build that they consider trash might fit you just right. We can only give the OP ideas on what sort of arrangements to run and where to find builds and advice on them. If he is interested in being a top tier player than by all means he should get in touch with one of the top teams but until then we have no business telling him what he can and can not run on his mech.

#17 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

tbh ENERGY's advice is sound no matter what way it comes across. if u dont care about competitiveness then carry on ;)

#18 On1m

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostSummon3r, on 22 September 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

tbh ENERGY's advice is sound no matter what way it comes across. if u dont care about competitiveness then carry on ;)

I'm not sure his advice is always sound. Oftentimes condescending, but not always sound. This is of course my own opinion of his advice and everybody is free to decide if his advice is worth it for themselves.

Edited by On1m, 22 September 2014 - 04:05 PM.

#19 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

Not much to say that everyone else hasn't... I always used by STK-5S as an energy boat of sorts. Always lots of fun. Can't remember exactly but doesn't it come with an XL engine? I forget... either way, if you have one of those, get rid of it.

#20 Redleg37

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

My favorite build for stalkers is 2 ER Large lasers, 2 SRM 6s, 2LRM 15s with advanced zoom. With the stalker one of the best things you can do is learn not to go backwards. With smaller mechs you can creep forward, fire, and creep backwards; this allows you to stay in cover. You cant do this in a stalker, your acceleration is too slow. If you move forward and engage it is frequently better to keep moving forward into cover rather than trying to reverse and back up into it.

I did 2 ER Large and 2 Large lasers earlier. It worked okay. I did 2x ER PPCs and 2x LRM 15s for a while as well, again did alright. I do a lot better with the mixed laser, srm, lrm build. I also had a 4xLRM 5, 2X ER PPC build for a bit. A larger, slower, less effective buzz saw build.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users