#21 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:59 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 22 October 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

If you turn up your shadow samples your rendered pictures won't come out so grainy.

Otherwise Looking fantastic.

The images I posted are just quick renders from the preview window, I think it's set at 10 samples or something. I'm working on a pretty crappy laptop so rendering tends to take ages at anything above 100.

200 took a good ten minutes :D :

Posted Image

#22 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:12 PM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 22 October 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

The images I posted are just quick renders from the preview window, I think it's set at 10 samples or something. I'm working on a pretty crappy laptop so rendering tends to take ages at anything above 100.

Posted Image

Good Gravy sir, it shouldn't' take anywhere near that long to "Just" render that. 10 minutes....ouch.

If this was 3dsmax I would say switch over to Mental Ray instead of using Scanline.

But it's not so this is the best I could do:
http://www.blendergu...s/#.VEicAPnF89Q

#23 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:19 PM

Also another small thing, but if you plan on doing any 3d work at all in the future.

Then get substance painter -

I can not stress enough how XXXXXXXX cool it is. Texturing has always been my acheilies heel. I can make things Look good, it just takes mountains and mountains of time.

Substance painter takes a week's worth of work and condense's it down to hours. Special deal going on in steam right now but I bought the 200 buck package and feel like I won the lottery.

It literally paints textures that fast, in real time on the physical model.

Actually later, I'll stream myself creating textures for the school project I am doing to give you an idea of how it works and come back and post it here. It's so good it can take my average skill and churn out a trip AAA title texture paint in an hour or two.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 22 October 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#24 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:54 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 22 October 2014 - 10:19 PM, said:

Also another small thing, but if you plan on doing any 3d work at all in the future.

Then get substance painter -

I can not stress enough how XXXXXXXX cool it is. Texturing has always been my acheilies heel. I can make things Look good, it just takes mountains and mountains of time.

Substance painter takes a week's worth of work and condense's it down to hours. Special deal going on in steam right now but I bought the 200 buck package and feel like I won the lottery.

It literally paints textures that fast, in real time on the physical model.

Actually later, I'll stream myself creating textures for the school project I am doing to give you an idea of how it works and come back and post it here. It's so good it can take my average skill and churn out a trip AAA title texture paint in an hour or two.

Huh, that's a pretty awesome looking program. I've experimented with real time painters before but I've always had trouble with them. Mainly because I'm still an incredibly newbish modeler, and the model such as the one above is still lots of separate meshes tacked together so it's not suitable for games or 3D printing.

I'll have a look at that program, but I'm concerned it's more suitable for organic models, and proper models at that. :P

#25 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:18 AM

Here ya go brother.

Back to school work -

Peace.

http://www.twitch.tv...crows/c/5350765

After the video ends I went back and put like another 20 mins into painting it and this is my final result

Posted Image

Edit: Also I mentioned this in another thread but when designing hard surface modeling the one thing you should never have is a 90 degree corner. Always chamfere your corners to 45's. That is how you get your model looking fantastic and allows the light to better bounce off of your model. (I of course ignored my own advice because school project, in a hurry!)
Posted Image

Edited by Carrioncrows, 23 October 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#26 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 22 October 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

Well, don't liek how hard your laptop gotta work at it, but am loving the results brother!

#27 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:22 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 23 October 2014 - 02:18 AM, said:

Here ya go brother.

Back to school work -

Peace.

http://www.twitch.tv...crows/c/5350765

After the video ends I went back and put like another 20 mins into painting it and this is my final result

Posted Image

Edit: Also I mentioned this in another thread but when designing hard surface modeling the one thing you should never have is a 90 degree corner. Always chamfere your corners to 45's. That is how you get your model looking fantastic and allows the light to better bounce off of your model. (I of course ignored my own advice because school project, in a hurry!)
Posted Image

Wow, thanks for the video and tips man, much appreciated! The last few days have been hectic, so I haven't had time to do much so I'll definitely watch through the vid today. Looks like that program has some really nice results. Pity is doesn't seem to have a demo though... I'm always wary of putting down $$$ without being able to try it. :P

Ironically the last few days have been my last few days at school... so now I have ample time to work on stuff.

Almost... too much time...

... I need a job...

#28 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 October 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

Well, don't liek how hard your laptop gotta work at it, but am loving the results brother!

No worries, turns out I had the renderer set to use my CPU instead of my GPU, so now it's rendering three times as fast as before. Soft shadows here I come! :D

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:29 AM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 24 October 2014 - 10:22 PM, said:

Wow, thanks for the video and tips man, much appreciated! The last few days have been hectic, so I haven't had time to do much so I'll definitely watch through the vid today. Looks like that program has some really nice results. Pity is doesn't seem to have a demo though... I'm always wary of putting down $$$ without being able to try it. :P

Ironically the last few days have been my last few days at school... so now I have ample time to work on stuff.

Almost... too much time...

... I need a job...

http://www.allegorithmic.com/download

They have a trial version, just can't export your stuff.

#30 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 October 2014 - 04:29 AM, said:

http://www.allegorithmic.com/download

They have a trial version, just can't export your stuff.

Ah man... thank for finding that, I need to do more research than just checking their Steam page. :P Thanks!

#31 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:25 AM

Hm... so ever since my laptop died my Assassin went with it and I'm still waiting on getting the laptop repaired and sent back so I can finish it. However, in the meantime I started working on Bishop's Vulcan IIC design, of which his work is equally as epic... I'm taking a slightly different approach to modelling after examining MWO's models, and it's progressing a lot faster.

However, I didn't want to post anything before asking Bishop himself first if he minded, as it's his work and obviously I don't want to use it without permission. So... would you mind if I did Bishop? Again, it's more so for practice on my part and I still don't think I do your artwork any justice. :P

I did have another question though... which part on the cockpit dome is the actual cockpit glass? Is the the centre horizontal plating? Modelling spherical objects is turning out harder than I expected... :lol:

#32 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 18 November 2014 - 04:25 AM, said:

Hm... so ever since my laptop died my Assassin went with it and I'm still waiting on getting the laptop repaired and sent back so I can finish it. However, in the meantime I started working on Bishop's Vulcan IIC design, of which his work is equally as epic... I'm taking a slightly different approach to modelling after examining MWO's models, and it's progressing a lot faster.

However, I didn't want to post anything before asking Bishop himself first if he minded, as it's his work and obviously I don't want to use it without permission. So... would you mind if I did Bishop? Again, it's more so for practice on my part and I still don't think I do your artwork any justice. :P

I did have another question though... which part on the cockpit dome is the actual cockpit glass? Is the the centre horizontal plating? Modelling spherical objects is turning out harder than I expected... :lol:

Ah, sorry to hear about your laptop! Is the hard drive recoverable?

Anyhow, considering how amazing you were doing on the Assassin, sucks it's ....on hold, lol, but absolutely, feel free to do whatever with whichever one you like. And if there are others you want me to work up, or try to anyhow, let me know.

My dream is to someday get 3D printed copies of the Assassin, Vulcan and Urbanmech (Deputy Dawg)

#33 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:35 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 November 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

Spoiler

I would pay some hard cash for that deputy dawg.

Edited by NautilusCommand, 18 November 2014 - 08:35 PM.

#34 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:00 PM

Has anyone done a 3D model of Bishop's Urbanmech yet?

#35 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:45 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 18 November 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

Has anyone done a 3D model of Bishop's Urbanmech yet?

Sadly, no.

#36 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:05 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 November 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

Ah, sorry to hear about your laptop! Is the hard drive recoverable?

Anyhow, considering how amazing you were doing on the Assassin, sucks it's ....on hold, lol, but absolutely, feel free to do whatever with whichever one you like. And if there are others you want me to work up, or try to anyhow, let me know.

My dream is to someday get 3D printed copies of the Assassin, Vulcan and Urbanmech (Deputy Dawg)

I hope it will be, although they've said it's not the problem they thought it was... so it could be a little while longer before I finish it. :unsure:

I've been working on the Vulcan, and although I was planning keep working on it until I had the entire thing at least in a decent draft state, I'm kind of having some problems regarding proportion and the bone structure of the legs which I can't seem to get right.

So right now the torso and arms are blocked out, and I've started on the legs, but I was hoping you could help locate and point out flaws and mistakes? Admittedly because I'm still pretty newbish at modelling from reference I'm having some trouble converting from your drawing to 3D, but that's 100% me at fault there. :P

Posted Image

Here's the current model slightly posed rendered orthographically from front and back:

Posted Image

Edited by AUSwarrior24, 20 November 2014 - 03:06 AM.

#37 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:06 AM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 20 November 2014 - 03:05 AM, said:

I hope it will be, although they've said it's not the problem they thought it was... so it could be a little while longer before I finish it. :unsure:

I've been working on the Vulcan, and although I was planning keep working on it until I had the entire thing at least in a decent draft state, I'm kind of having some problems regarding proportion and the bone structure of the legs which I can't seem to get right.

So right now the torso and arms are blocked out, and I've started on the legs, but I was hoping you could help locate and point out flaws and mistakes? Admittedly because I'm still pretty newbish at modelling from reference I'm having some trouble converting from your drawing to 3D, but that's 100% me at fault there. :P

Posted Image

Here's the current model slightly posed rendered orthographically from front and back:

Posted Image

I'll see if I can sit down and look at it later and compare, maybe pencil in any differences, but looks real good so far!

#38 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:25 AM

Holy cow, I see here are some really talented users. Like your works here in this thread. Keep going!

#39 Uncle Totty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:06 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

It got balls! :P

#40 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:13 PM

Posted Image

A few Mods:

I narrowed the STs a bit to make a more compact profile for city fighting, and then modified the rear torso on the side shot, slimmed them some and added (very roughly) JJs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users