Stopped Responding And Recovered

5 replies to this topic

#1 OliverTwisted

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:50 AM

I'm experiencing a fatal game freeze, followed by this message: Video driver has stopped responding and has recovered something about kernel in the message as well. Problem is it recovers to desktop and not the game. In Hawken(gasp) I can go to task manager and back and continue, though it usually causes a death due to the time it takes to bring up the manager then close it out again, but in MWO I must reload the game. Tried all the obvious, clean updated driver install, dust free machine, registry cleaner, upgraded to 750watt power supply, reseated GPU(gtx660) reseated ram sticks. My computer is decent i7-4770@ 3.4ghz, 16gb ram, win8.1. Anyone else with this problem.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:06 AM

I had a problem with this until I underclocked my card about 10%. (radeon hd 7770). Reinstalled the driver plenty of times, so it was either poor hardware or poor compatibility with my PSU (technically I don't have the right power plug for my GPU and had to cobble something together)

#3 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

If you are overclocking your graphics card (or it is a factory-overclocked model), back it down to standard reference speed.

Even if you don't overclock, you may still need to reduce the speed of the graphics card. Some of them develop instability over time.

#4 OliverTwisted

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

I'll try that, no one has ever suggested this and I've asked a lot of forums, good idea. It may help with Far Cry 3 also, which is almost unplayable. I've tried upping the voltage with overclock software but never underclocking the gpu.. Can you suggest software, I have Asus GPU tweak but I've heard it's a bit lacking, but I will try. Thanks Red and Durant both.

#5 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

I use EVGA Precision X which has been good to me ever since I started using it.

#6 OliverTwisted

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:39 PM

You totally solved my problem, thanks Durant I did change to PrecisionX which is far better then asus gpu tweak.

Edited by OliverTwisted, 10 October 2014 - 01:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users