The Module Shuffle

58 replies to this topic

Poll: Allow for automatic module equipping (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to have modules automatically un-equip themselves from one mech, and re-equipping onto the current mech you are configuring?

1. Yes (31 votes [58.49%])

Percentage of vote: 58.49%

2. No (22 votes [41.51%])

Percentage of vote: 41.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:12 AM

Now that you have shed the greedy company that was IGP, please allow us to equip modules onto mechs without having to SEARCH, CONFIGURE MECH, UNEQUIP MODULE, SAVE, CONFIGURE NEW MECH, RE-EQUIP MODULE, SAVE.. I shudder just thinking about this process...

I understand it was probably done this way because it was MEANT to be tiresome and was meant to motivate us to purchase more than one of each module. This made some sense back when there weren't that many modules to available to purchase. But NOW, there are a million and one modules available and I'm sure there are more modules coming down the pipe-line as well!! People just are not, and do NOT want, to buy more than one of each module. Implementing this change will not decrease module purchases, I guarantee it! To the contrary, it will increase module purchases because this change will kick-in the 'gotta-have-them-all' mentality because now modules will be a snap to equip at a moments notice!

The UI should automatically un-equip and re-equip modules for you all IN THE BACKGROUND. You can move this UI a HUGE step forward by simply allowing users to equip modules in two or three key-presses.

ADDED BONUS! Please note: This will also decrease matchmaker wait times dramatically! How you say? Just ask anyone HOW MANY TIMES they've had to wait for someone in group to locate that one stinking module before being able to launch! Think about it PGI, it's a win-win. We get a more intuitive UI and you get a decrease in match-maker wait times and an increase in the available pool of players allowing the MM to make higher quality matching.. and you know matchmaker wait-times and quality match-making are big thorns in your side right now.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 23 September 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#2 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

If we cant simply equip on any mech we own this would be the next best thing...

#3 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostVixNix, on 23 September 2014 - 08:49 AM, said:

If we cant simply equip on any mech we own this would be the next best thing...

Please explain.. I thought that's what I was recommending, that the UI simply 'equips' the module onto the mech you are configuring, and all the other stuff that is now required (searching for module, saving, reloading, etc.) all happens in the background.

#4 Carnelian

• PipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

Since there is absolutely no point in buying more than one module (or a few of each... anything) as you're only using one mech at any given point, having items "locked" to a mech you're not using is simply an ugly way to use a clunky UI to coach the user into spending more C-bills than necessary.

This is my way of saying "yes", I wholeheartedly agree. Every mech should get to choose from the same pool of equipment, regardless of how many other builds are using the same item. The only reason to keep things as is is if a player drop pool was implemented, forcing a player to split his resources among those mechs available to choose from.

#5 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 23 September 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

Please explain.. I thought that's what I was recommending, that the UI simply 'equips' the module onto the mech you are configuring, and all the other stuff that is now required (searching for module, saving, reloading, etc.) all happens in the background.

What I mean is you "earn" the capture accelerator, and then you pay six million c-bills for it. From there you should be able to equip that on each mech you own, that you want it on, without playing the un-equip re-equip game or even your suggestion above...

Barring that I like your suggestion.

#6 Sethliopod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationInside the smoking wreck.

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

Who voted no!?
Gonna throw a brick at you...just as soon as I locate in which cockpit I left my brick, find the right set of bricks--hanging, standing or mounted, click that brick (and NOT the bricks I don't own!), save, back out, go to my brick-throwing Mech, open the cockpit, go to the right brick set, click on the RIGHT brick, save, and then.....hey! Where'd you go?........................

Edited by Sethliopod, 23 September 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#7 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:02 PM

View PostSethliopod, on 23 September 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

Who voted no!?
Gonna throw a brick at you...just as soon as I locate in which cockpit I left my brick, find the right set of bricks--hanging, standing or mounted, click that brick (and NOT the bricks I don't own!), save, back out, go to my brick-throwing Mech, open the cockpit, go to the right brick set, click on the RIGHT brick, save, and then.....hey! Where'd you go?........................

I know what you mean. I hate looking through my inventory and having to squint to see if that's an OWNED item. Everything OWNED should automatically be in a different coloured box than the rest. But there are SO many things wrong with the UI, we can only make baby-steps.. At least PGI has admitted that the UI needs a lot of work in their town-hall meeting/Q&A video. We can only hope the rate of improvement picks up.

#8 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

Neg.
I have a different module loadout for almost all mechs I own. Having them auto-switch would just be a pain the surat for me.

So, NO THANKS.

#9 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostSethliopod, on 23 September 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

Who voted no!?

View PostVixNix, on 23 September 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

What I mean is you "earn" the capture accelerator, and then you pay six million c-bills for it. From there you should be able to equip that on each mech you own, that you want it on, without playing the un-equip re-equip game or even your suggestion above...

Barring that I like your suggestion.

I like your idea.. it's basically the same thing but I like the idea that you have to 'earn' it.. maybe each mech has to be elited before being able to equip a module.. but then again that restricts buying and pgi won't like that.

#10 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostHeroForHire, on 23 September 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

Neg.
I have a different module loadout for almost all mechs I own. Having them auto-switch would just be a pain the surat for me.

So, NO THANKS.

Good point. Then there should be an option to 'LOCK IN' the module. If you do try to re-equip a 'LOCKED IN' module, the UI can then ask you for confirmation before moving it.

Thanks for your input HeroForHire.. you raised a great point!

#11 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:33 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 23 September 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

Good point. Then there should be an option to 'LOCK IN' the module. If you do try to re-equip a 'LOCKED IN' module, the UI can then ask you for confirmation before moving it.

Thanks for your input HeroForHire.. you raised a great point!

You're very welcome.
You made a great suggestion: make it optional to auto-move your modules.

#12 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:07 AM

View PostHeroForHire, on 23 September 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

Neg. I have a different module loadout for almost all mechs I own. Having them auto-switch would just be a pain the surat for me. So, NO THANKS.

My suggestion is to be able to equip on your mechs as you wish, buy it once put it on all mechs is you wish.

I believe the other suggestions made was to be able to equip in on this mech w/o having to un-equip it on that mech first.

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 23 September 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

I like your idea.. it's basically the same thing but I like the idea that you have to 'earn' it.. maybe each mech has to be elited before being able to equip a module.. but then again that restricts buying and pgi won't like that.

By earn it I meant un-locking with the exp as is currently done.
Tho i would like to see mecg exp able to be used on these, maybe cost more, but limiting it to GXP to me just proves the point that the modules should not be limited to one mech.

#13 Defender Rococo Rockfowl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 121 posts
  • LocationYou might be having more fun playing post-apocalyptic survival game Miscreated

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

View PostVixNix, on 24 September 2014 - 04:07 AM, said:

My suggestion is to be able to equip on your mechs as you wish, buy it once put it on all mechs is you wish.

I believe the other suggestions made was to be able to equip in on this mech w/o having to un-equip it on that mech first.

Tho i would like to see mecg exp able to be used on these, maybe cost more, but limiting it to GXP to me just proves the point that the modules should not be limited to one mech.

View PostVixNix, on 24 September 2014 - 04:07 AM, said:

My suggestion is to be able to equip on your mechs as you wish, buy it once put it on

all mechs is you wish.

I believe the other suggestions made was to be able to equip in on this mech w/o

having to un-equip it on that mech first.

Tho i would like to see mecg exp able to be used on these, maybe cost more, but

limiting it to GXP to me just proves the point that the modules should not be limited

to one mech.

The current system of unlocking with GXP and then paying C-bills for a single module makes sense.
Modules are treated like a virtual "physical item." So when you buy one, you only have one, which is why we have to take it out of one mech to put in another.
The same way you would with a video card for example. If you have it installed in one PC, you can't have it in any other until you remove it from the PC its installed in.
So having one module "magically" installed in all your mechs doesn't make much sense.

But I think what you're actually trying to do with your suggestion is to have a boatload of modules that you get when you pay the price of one.
Kind of like all the soda you can drink at McDonald's when you pay for a cup.
Sound about right?

No, I'm actually against that because it devalues the modules and it's unfair to anyone who has ever saved up and bought more than one module to put in their mechs.

I haven't bought a module yet but I am thinking about those who have.

I really hope the module system does not change from what it is now.
Just add an option to auto-remove modules from your builds and a search function to find a module if you have a lot of mechs.

#14 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

View PostDefender Rococo Rockfowl, on 24 September 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

The current system of unlocking with GXP and then paying C-bills for a single module makes sense.
Modules are treated like a virtual "physical item." So when you buy one, you only have one, which is why we have to take it out of one mech to put in another.
The same way you would with a video card for example. If you have it installed in one PC, you can't have it in any other until you remove it from the PC its installed in.
So having one module "magically" installed in all your mechs doesn't make much sense.

But I think what you're actually trying to do with your suggestion is to have a boatload of modules that you get when you pay the price of one.
Sound about right?

No, I'm actually against that because it devalues the modules and it's unfair to anyone who has ever saved up and bought more than one module to put in their mechs.

Just add an option to auto-remove modules from your builds and a search function to find a module if you have a lot of mechs.

Or they could refund us the CBills for the ones we currently have. I have spent well over 150mil on modules. While I don't care for his system, I don't care to own 6+ of the same 6mil Cbill module because the interface is so garbage that I hate trying to navigate it.

#15 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:14 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 24 September 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

Or they could refund us the CBills for the ones we currently have. I have spent well over 150mil on modules. While I don't care for his system, I don't care to own 6+ of the same 6mil Cbill module because the interface is so garbage that I hate trying to navigate it.

No thanks. Like I said earlier -- my mechs all have different module loadouts and I do NOT want to have them auto-removed and have to reintsall them every drop.

And I do not think I need my C-bills refunded, I think everyone else should work hard for their modules.
Think of it as the "college degree" of Battlemechs :P
Actually there IS another solution I think is good but that I think would probably piss a lot of people off and that PGI would outright say "NO!" to:

Get rid of the modules altogether! :)
Problem solved and we are ALL back on equal footing in our mechs! No one with radar deprivation, seismic sensor, etc advantage against those who DON'T have it.
AND we also have a lot more C-bills to spend on other things.

What to do with excess GXP?
If PGI was open minded enough to let us exchange them for C-bills or even better (and less likely) let us exchange them for MC that would be GREAT.

But to keep it fair to PGI (cause they need to make money!), exchange GXP for MC at a really crappy rate. Like 1000 GXP for one MC kinda crappy :P

#16 ExAstris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

Didn't vote.

The module system is borked. Its inelegant, frustrating, limiting, and downright money-grubbing.

The OP's proposal doesn't address all the issues the current module system generates. Rather, it only solves one frustration that a single player type has, i.e. the frustration of unequipping modules after each round before equipping them to your next mech.

2 solutions that address the core issues.

1: Putting a module on a mech in the loadout screen and saving it doesn't actually pull it from your inventory. Rather, the module is only pulled when the mech launches into a match.
a. This solves the problem by allowing every mech you want to have drop with a module be able to equip it. No more customize/modules/(un)equip/save. You simply keep adding the exact same module to every mech you want to drop with it.
b. However, if that mech is stuck in combat, the module is stuck with it, so if you try to drop in another mech that has the same module "equipped", then it will not drop with the module. This will be especially important if we ever get some version of dropship mode, as owning multiple copies of a module will become useful since each first mech to take a module 'uses' it for that match, meaning your next mechs won't have it.

2: Make module purchases be for supply contracts instead of individual modules. Instead of buying one module, you buy a contract to use any number of them.
a. This solves the problem by giving you an unlimited supply of each module type once you've unlocked it and paid the cost to acquire it. No need to swap that unlock, its now unlocked across the board.
b. Modules no longer need to be treated like inventory items, streamlining the entire system even further.
c. Cost for a 'contract' may need to be a bit higher than the cost of current individual modules for purposes of the game's economy.

I prefer option 1, minimum change, maximum effect. Especially with a game-mode with respawns now back under serious consideration.

#17 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:16 PM

View PostDefender Rococo Rockfowl, on 24 September 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

Sound about right?

I see you are new to the game because of the fact you have not purchased a single module. You probably don't even have a grasp of how expensive these modules are. If you are planning on having multiple identical modules on all the mechs you purchase, you have much to learn my young Padawan. Some players have 70 to 100 mechs, and even more. Can you begin to comprehend the amount of C-billage it would take to equip all or most or even half of these mechs? Can you begin to comprehend the nightmare that it is just to locate a module when you have THAT many mechs?

I proposed this solution so that it would make it easy to locate and equip modules onto the current mech you are configuring. Whether it devalues the module or not, people (well experienced people anyway) are just NOT going to waste Cbills on 10 or more Seismic modules at 6million a pop, that is utter lunacy.

Please read VixNix's reply above, his reply I believe makes sense and is basically what I was going for.

If you are concerned about other players and what's fair, well change is sometimes unfair. You could say PGI was unfair when they removed one or two mech module slots from most of our mechs when they implemented the new module system. We all had purchased 'frill' modules (such as speed retention or hill climb) that will now never be used because of the newly limited room for mech modules.

I appreciate your input but unfortunately your too wet behind the ears to provide useful input on the matter.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 24 September 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#18 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:19 PM

View PostHeroForHire, on 24 September 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

No thanks. Like I said earlier -- my mechs all have different module loadouts and I do NOT want to have them auto-removed and have to reintsall them every drop.

And I do not think I need my C-bills refunded, I think everyone else should work hard for their modules.
Think of it as the "college degree" of Battlemechs :P
Actually there IS another solution I think is good but that I think would probably piss a lot of people off and that PGI would outright say "NO!" to:

Get rid of the modules altogether! :)
Problem solved and we are ALL back on equal footing in our mechs! No one with radar deprivation, seismic sensor, etc advantage against those who DON'T have it.
AND we also have a lot more C-bills to spend on other things.

What to do with excess GXP?
If PGI was open minded enough to let us exchange them for C-bills or even better (and less likely) let us exchange them for MC that would be GREAT.

But to keep it fair to PGI (cause they need to make money!), exchange GXP for MC at a really crappy rate. Like 1000 GXP for one MC kinda crappy :P

You misunderstand.

I don't want to have to purchase a 6-mil CBill module for each and every mech I use it on. I run radar derp on all my mechs. I don't want to drop 6mmil for EACH one. Instead, a one time purchase and I can equip it on any mech I own. So I can equip it on all mechs for 6 mil, instead of how I have it now where I own 12 of the damnable things.

Same goes for the weapon mods. I run an AC20 cooldown and SRM6 range on my DDC, I also run a CN9-A with the SRM6 range module, and once purchase for 3 million, I want to be able to put it on any mech I want WITHOUT needing to shuffle or buy multiple mods.

#19 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 24 September 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

Unfortunately, if there are more players like you that purchase multiples of the same module just to avoid navigating the UI, PGI will never change the system.. *sigh*

#20 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 24 September 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

Unfortunately, if there are more players like you that purchase multiples of the same module just to avoid navigating the UI, PGI will never change the system.. *sigh*

I think you don't understand I weekly pester Russ about changing either the UI or module system. And I've even sent him a video showing the number of clicks I need to make in order to move a module from one to the other.

It's fair to say, I've done plenty about this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users