Buy Once, Equip Anywhere/equipment "unlocking" System

3 replies to this topic

#1 Oxyclean

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:13 AM

I think it'd be a massive improvement to QoL to implement a "buy once, equip everywhere" system, or equipment "unlocking" system.

To me, (and many other players I'd imagine) there's little sense in buying more then one XL300 engine, or any module, it's much quicker and free to just unequip them and move them to a new mech.

Now, when you get a fairly large mech collection or take an extended break from the game, it can be quite frustrating trying to track down that specific engine or module you're certain you've bought. Even when you know where the parts are, it can be a pain just to swap them from one mech to another.

By providing a "buy once, equip anywhere" system, you basically would remove the need to shuffle around your parts.

The idea being that no prices change - but once you buy your first XL300 engine, you technically have infinite XL300 engines, to equip on any mech that is capable. As for weapons, heat sinks, etc. - if you want to fit 6 Medium Lasers, you need to pay for 6, but now any mech in your collection can equip up to 6 medium lasers.

As it stands the only motivations behind the costs of XL engines and modules are: 1) lore (at least for engines) and 2) creating a time sink

I recognize my proposed solution doesn't exactly make a lot of sense in a lore or "realism" context, but there are many things the game that are done for the sake of making an enjoyable experience.

As far as time sink goes, as previously pointed out, very few people actually buy duplicate modules and XL engines, so there is little sense in having a time sink on duplicate equipment.

Anyone who currently has duplicate engines, modules, etc. would (or at least should) be refunded the full Cbill cost.

Also, should PGI ever get around to implementing dropship mode, this would significantly lower the barrier to entry.

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

How would your idea lower the barrier to entry of Dropship mode? You still need multiple fully-equipped 'Mechs ready at once. Those 'Mechs must be ready to drop immediately -- half-equipped chassis cannot be readied.

#3 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:28 PM

Short answer: No, bad idea.

Long answer: in the BT universe our mechs and all their equipment are physical items. It's like having a Corvette and wanting all the other cars you buy have the Corvette engine just cause you already own one. That's impossible! :P

I think you just don't like grinding for C-Bills. If that's the case you could (should) just stick to a few chassis and upgrade those. It'd solve your battlemech financial/logistic problems ;)

#4 Carnelian

• PipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:44 AM

I agree with the OP. Until they implement a player mech drop pool a k a dropship mode there is no reason whatsoever to lock items to specific mechs, especially since the UI is so clunky.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users