Weapon Invasion, New Intershere Weapon Options!

72 replies to this topic

Poll: Weapon Invasion, New InterShere Weapon Options! (193 member(s) have cast votes)

which if any, would you endorse?

1. Blazer(E) (95 votes [19.83%])

Percentage of vote: 19.83%

2. Rifles(B) (94 votes [19.62%])

Percentage of vote: 19.62%

3. Mech Mortars(BM) (110 votes [22.96%])

Percentage of vote: 22.96%

4. Rocket Launchers(BM) (106 votes [22.13%])

Percentage of vote: 22.13%

5. Arrow IV Artillery(M) (70 votes [14.61%])

Percentage of vote: 14.61%

6. None, (4 votes [0.84%])

Percentage of vote: 0.84%

On account of RocketLauncher & MechMortar?

1. implimented just as Missiles, (39 votes [25.66%])

Percentage of vote: 25.66%

2. As Missiles and Ballistics, (75 votes [49.34%])

Percentage of vote: 49.34%

3. Dont Mind Ether, (38 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

but there ammo per ton would let them be balanced compared to acs i think thays my 2 cents on them any way

#22 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:20 PM

bump

#23 Ursus_Spiritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 292 posts
  • LocationDecrypting your Authentication codes.

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:55 PM

Fix what is present first and stick with the TECH TIME line (Not that PGI has done well with that...) as for tech, stick with that is and has been for cannon purposes as best possible.

Tech in the B-tech timeline does not evolve like that of many other games for a reason.

#24 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:36 PM

When you tie the second question to the second one, and folks want to vote "none" therefore negating either option in the second question, it means I either have to vote for an option I don't actually want, or cannot vote none.

Bad poll.

#25 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

bump

#26 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:35 PM

I think utility weapons such as flares would work... it can be good to mark or blind a target (imagine someone shootign an attachable flare that'll stick to your cockpit? ouch)

In TT and in previous games it's used to make dark areas or night time missions more easier and visible as well as marking targets (MW4 mercs does this notably well)

I would like to have flares in MW: O so I do not need to use night vision.

#27 Rokollus

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 68 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:46 AM

Inferno Missiles.

#28 Brandorf

• PipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:53 PM

I'm a huge fan of the Blaser for a while. Sure it has some serious drawbacks, but could really add some flexibility to Inner Sphere Energy boats.

#29 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:04 PM

I'd like the Rifles, simply so I can put something bigger on my Arrow until Light AC/2 arrive. It's currently a bit silly that the best you can do to maximize the ballistic slots is six machine guns. Sure, you can mount two AC/2 and four machine guns, but that's extremely hot and heavy even with an XL.

#30 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:12 PM

The Heavy Rifle would NOT replace the AC/10. Recoilless Rifles deal 3 points less damage to modern battlemech armor. So, the Light Rifle is nothing but a party popper, the Medium Rifle is not much better, and the Heavy Rifle does only 6 damage. There is a reason these were replaced with autocannons a few hundred years ago, except in some parts of the periphery, where primitive armor is not that uncommon.

As for rocket launchers...no. What we would see is tryhards packing a crapload of them, running in, and getting one glorious kill before getting slaughtered. Let us stick with weaponry that is not a one-shot wonder, please.

As for Mech Mortars and Arrow IV, LRM spammers do not need another weapon that lets them sit in the back and click on the red squares. This game will do just fine without more of that. If anything, we need something to get more people into the fight, instead of hanging back at the edge, trying to shoot things without getting their paint scratched, like they have a repair bill or something.

The Blazer, while not exactly ideal in terms of damage/ton/heat, will be a nice alternative for mechs that need more firepower, but do not have much available in terms of energy hardpoints. I can get behind that one.

#31 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:04 PM

View PostAethon, on 15 February 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

The Heavy Rifle would NOT replace the AC/10. Recoilless Rifles deal 3 points less damage to modern battlemech armor. So, the Light Rifle is nothing but a party popper, the Medium Rifle is not much better, and the Heavy Rifle does only 6 damage. There is a reason these were replaced with autocannons a few hundred years ago, except in some parts of the periphery, where primitive armor is not that uncommon.

As for rocket launchers...no. What we would see is tryhards packing a crapload of them, running in, and getting one glorious kill before getting slaughtered. Let us stick with weaponry that is not a one-shot wonder, please.

As for Mech Mortars and Arrow IV, LRM spammers do not need another weapon that lets them sit in the back and click on the red squares. This game will do just fine without more of that. If anything, we need something to get more people into the fight, instead of hanging back at the edge, trying to shoot things without getting their paint scratched, like they have a repair bill or something.

The Blazer, while not exactly ideal in terms of damage/ton/heat, will be a nice alternative for mechs that need more firepower, but do not have much available in terms of energy hardpoints. I can get behind that one.

the idea is PGI would probably expand on some of the stats of these weapons,
that way these weapons could be viable in MWO where otherwise they wouldnt be,
also remember that most if not all of these weapons have very Low Ammo perTon,

#32 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:53 PM

yah the ammo preton would very much keep rifles inline after all the only have 54 damage per ton of ammo compaired to auto cannons with 150 perton save the ac 20 at 140

#33 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:13 PM

as long as mortars dumbfire only using roughly the missile lock targeting system and have a large blast radius when compared to missiles

Edit I would also like to see some light ballistics to help un-gimp light and medium mech max firepower damage/weight ratio,possible balancing weapon weight against its own critical hitpoints

Edited by CorditeJunkie, 15 February 2015 - 07:16 PM.

#34 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:21 PM

Light ACs would really help, but those aren't ready for production until later in the timeline.

#35 MossPigglet

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:56 PM

Im all for more weapon content in general, cause I am not going to lie, I am disappointed with he current weapon roster. Also I feel the timeline thing should be scrapped a bit. I am not suggesting taking things from the 3100's exactly but Vultures/Mad dogs are not a thing in the current time period, and still PGI put them in (not that I dislike this at all). But a lot of cool and unique new weapons came out shortly after the clan invasion. that are not implemented and I feel should be. Because the current content is lacking.

#36 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:34 PM

How about being able to lay mines? I don't know if there ever such a thing in lore but I think it would add more customization and strategy to the game.

#37 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:21 PM

Mines would get very silly very quickly. unless they implemented multiple ammo types for the same launcher on a mech you'd be stuck with either Thunder LRM or regular LRM. this would likely result in taking them as a utility item, say for example taking 1 LRM-5 or 10 and a ton or two of Thunder LRM ammo on an otherwise direct fire build like say the Battlemaster or Stalker. use the LRMs to lay out some mines early game and be annoying, while not dedicating a whole build to it that may not cause damage do to the enemy avoiding the mines ETC.

IF they implemented multi ammo (LBX would finaly be its real cannon setup!) then you could take a mix of ammo and not worry.

I've said for ages the Arrow IV would be a ton of fun. i doubt we would see the Non-Homing variety.

The biggest problem is implementation. Arrow IV non homing missiles fires via the Artillery rules in tabletop, and therefor does not actually directly target a mech. it targets a Grid Hex. if there happens to be a mech there, so be it. this is also why it has no listed range for Minimum, short, or medium, only a max number of maps.

Homing missiles also do not directly roll to hit. An enemy unit has to have been hit with a TAG and then you can roll to hit. translating to MWO, an enemy would have to be tagged, you could lock them, then the tag would have to stay on them the whole flight time until missile impact. also, in Tabletop the Arrow IV is untargetable by AMS. there would be a lot of rage.

basically, either mechanic would get crazy. and no it should not be an oversized SRM for the non homing, it should have no ability to direct fire at all.

#38 Morang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

Mortars sound like good idea. I constantly abused homing mortars in Heavy Gear 2. I think they should be implemented like that:

Able to lock on radar target (including behind the obstacles) or fire at reticle if there is no target (like current LRMs).

No guidance in flight. I. e. mortar can be launched in high arc at current location of radar target in range, but bombs can't steer in-flight afterwards, so if target moves while bombs are flying, it's more or less a miss.

But no missile warning, no AMS effect and no smoke trails. So if one stands in place for too long, he can be surprized.

Range better adjusted by something like constant angle/variable charge, so it won't lose effectiveness so much at close ranges (otherwise flight time at high elevation to defeat close non-LOS targets will be too long). Maybe also allow semi-direct fire (less than 45 degrees, like a grenade launcher) at LOS targets/reticle.

Rifles sound interesting too, as well as Arrow IV.

#39 Morang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:04 PM

View PostFerrolupisXIII, on 04 March 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

An enemy unit has to have been hit with a TAG and then you can roll to hit. translating to MWO, an enemy would have to be tagged, you could lock them, then the tag would have to stay on them the whole flight time until missile impact. also, in Tabletop the Arrow IV is untargetable by AMS. there would be a lot of rage.

I think it will be great for Arrow IV to just home at the closest friendly TAG pointer regardless of it being pointed at the mech or at the terrain. Just follow the red dot (and switch to straight flight towards last dot location if TAG disappears).

It should start with a straight boost leg (of, say, 180 m) after launch to get some altitude (launching mech can adjust the elevation to propel it more directly to target or give it greater ground clearance), then look for TAG points in LOS in frontal sector of, say, 45-60 degrees and lock at the closest (if there's no TAG, it may self-destruct or take some unguided ballistic trajectory or fly straight at constant altitude waiting for TAG to appear).

#40 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:03 PM

i kind of want something to go between the 0.5t machine gun and the 6t ac2. its a huge tonnage gap that needs a weapon to bridge the distance. light rifle would be nice. but i think i would also like some alternative machine gun arrangements, heavy and/or long range machine guns around 1t, maybe some 2t 2crit mg arrays.

arrow iv would make a good area effect unguided weapon. would be especially useful in cw. attackers could bust up defensive lines a bit better. especially give the spheroids some range againt the clans. clans might get a guided version with a smaller aoe and perhaps a slightly shorter range.

Edited by LordNothing, 06 March 2015 - 03:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users