#1 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

(video demos come later. Busy with life and stuff)

The following guide aims at helping you play more effectively, efficiently and ultimately have more fun while playing and modifying your Dire Wolf, without wasting times and C-Bills experimenting on your favourite builds (cuz I did that for y'all). However it does indeed serve only as a reference, so adjust to taste.

So, the Dire Wolf, the 100-ton Clan-tech death machine that everyone fears, right?

...right?

Well.... :rolleyes:

Lemme put it this way: A Dire Wolf is more Atlas than an Atlas. You must position yourself strategically, ideally with good knowledge with the map and have a good idea where your team is going. I'll explain more in the following Pros/Cons analysis. Let's start with the cons:

- clumsy. A quick glance at Smurfy's and you'll see Dire Wolf has only 60 degrees of torso twist, any if you've seen/been in a Stalker, you know what that means in any sort of close-quarter situations. It does help that Dire Wolf has lower arm actuators, but it also has...

- arm-focused hardpoints. It means if you're loading lots of weapons in the arms - AC20, Gauss, two CERLLas plus CUAC5, etc. - you cannot have lower-arm actuators. (I hate you Paul.)

- slow. As we probably all aware by now, Clan 'mechs have their engines locked so no upgrades are available on that part. That means you absolutely don't wanna be left alone early-game, especially on smaller maps like Forest Colony or River city, where enemies could easily circle around the map and touch your team in the butt. It also means an experienced Jenner could easily be the end of you. Besides, you may wanna consider equipping some sort of LRM, because chance is you will not be the first one to see the enemy, and you definitely won't arrive at the party on time.

- massive size. Why is that'a problem? Same with why aircraft-carriers are called bomb-magnets, but with LRMs instead.

Okay, enough bashing the fat man. Now the good part:

- Firepower

- Firepower

- MOAR DAKKA (oh wait wrong universe :ph34r: )

Yes. XL300+Clan-tech means Dire Wolf could easily carry more firepower than an Atlas' wildest dream. Three seconds on any unexpected enemy 'mech and its armor magically disappear. So many times during late-game that a pug sees me around the corner and just go NOPE and run away as fast as possible.

So, combining the pros and cons, here's the mentality and strategy your should employ: keep up with the team, play the objectives (if there's any), and unload all the guns you have as soon as you see your 1st target (because you should be able to shred at least one section of armor to the structure, or even get a kill). When there're multiple targets in sight, pick the biggest, meanest enemy because the bigger it is, the easier it is to hit.

And Dire Wolf hits really, really hard.

Now, to the builds:

DWF-PRIME

Posted Image

Now, before you start B*TCHING about "hurr durr y no 2xCERPPC+2xCGauss gg noob", allow me to explain my reasons (other than my burning hatred toward anything that does more than 30 pinpoint damage. Scums.).

To be a sniper 'mech you need at least two out of three things: high-mount hardpoints ('pult, Jager, arguable Quickdraw) so you could fire from cover, 70+ km/h speed(Awesome 9M) to relocate during cooldown or after being surrounded, or a lot of armor. Dire Wolf has a lot of armor, but for various reasons stated above, it also attracts a lot of fire and consequently dies rather easily. In fact, 50 pinpoint damage could hardly kill anything up front (not mentioning Gauss and PPC projectiles have different speeds).

In fact, any of the three builds I present here would easily kill a pinpoint Dire Wolf SCUM during a single cooldown cycle. I've done it multiple times.

Now, back to the build itself. I usually would like to keep the build close to the original, but sadly anything resembles the stock Prime would be way too complicated to manage. This build, however, is what I call a moneymaker. You have some good-range from the CERPPC (dont forget it also has splash damage), you have the sweet, sweet DPS from the CUAC10 (seriously, CUAC10 is absolutely the best Clan AC, trust me), and you have LRM to harass enemies out of your sight, or to further shake their cockpit when they're under your direct fire. Admittedly you could only constant fire at a target with everything you've got for about 12 seconds, but I'm pretty sure 12 seconds is enough to put anything own except for Lights.

(Note: 1, you could use the CERPPCs stripped from your B variant. 2, no need to switch to A-variant LT Omni-Pod and equip 2xCLRM5 for more DPS, because the stock LT provides a 10% cooldown reduction, reducing LRM10's cooldown to 3.6 seconds, a fraction more than LRM5's 3.5 second. And you get the 8-piece bonus. 3, you COULD build it around 2xCUAC20, but those guns take a lot of hardpoints and makes squeezing more firepower in much more difficult.)

DWF-A

Posted Image

This is my favourite.

Because, in case you didn't notice, IT HAS LOWER ARM ACTUATORS (well, only one, but right now in game, one counts as two and your LA also turns as a result. Ain't gonna complain.)

(Also, notice that I've got all eight original Omni-Pods?)

Replacing CSSRMs with CLRMs because SSRMs are not very useful against anything other than Lights, and replaced CGauss with CUAC20 because CLRMs already have ranged targets covered, and CUAC20 has much higher DPS. Just remember to set your CLPL to chainfire, and you'll have the best all-range, all-purpose DPS monster in the game, as far as I can tell.

Except for one possible contender.

DWF-B

Posted Image

I think this one is pretty self-explanatory.

MOAR DAKKA!!!! (sry got carried away a little)

I did replace the CUAC2s with CAC2s though. I grouped arm weapons and torso weapons to my LMB and RMB separately. You could use the stock CUAC2s for even better DPS (which is already ridiculous), but I for one could not hold my aim steady while spamming BOTH mouth buttons.

Also I did reduce arm armor to 60 each to fit in more armor. The reduced defense is negligible, since 9/10 people would go for your CT first because they know they probably don't have the time to completely remove one arm, but it will probably be their end when you turn your attention to them.

If it's a you vs. many situation, then that's different. But you should involve yourself in that kind of situation in the first place, which goes back to my previous point: you need to come up with a bit of strategy. Your route, positioning, target priority, etc. Think about these for a few seconds before riding your Dire Wolf into battle.

Because it is not an easily tamed beast, but when you get the gist, you are - quite literally - unstoppable.

#2 dtgamemaster

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 62 posts
  • LocationThe BattleField

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:08 PM

Just stating facts here. You are welcome to present a counter arguement since you called this the ultimate direwolf guide.

With regards to your DWF-Prime build:

Clan UAC/10 are TERRIBLE. 4 projectiles @2.5 damage, Projectile Speed 950.
Simply put. You want to put Twin Gauss Rifles that gives accurate pinpoint 15 damage with projectile speed of 2000. It makes ALL the difference in the world.

ERPPCs are fine. Your idea of pairing Clan UAC/10 to ERPPCs has its merit due to no charging and same projectile speed. I can agree it might serve some players better due to ease of use but it is not the MOST effective. Good players can compensate for the difference in velocities and overcome the charge mechanism via some training, to hit a mech in the same location.

Another better build might be 3 or 4 ERLLs paired with Gauss Rifles. Pinpoint precision up to 1000m and beyond. Sniper build that allows you to do surgical component targeting. You see a target => You can hit the target consistently and make him hurt.

Edited by dtgamemaster, 23 September 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#3 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:44 PM

View Postdtgamemaster, on 23 September 2014 - 09:08 PM, said:

Just stating facts here. You are welcome to present a counter arguement since you called this the ultimate direwolf guide.

Simply put. You want to put Twin Gauss Rifles that gives accurate pinpoint 15 damage with projectile speed of 2000. It makes ALL the difference in the world.

ERPPCs are fine. Your idea of pairing Clan UAC/10 to ERPPCs has its merit due to no charging and same projectile speed. I can agree it might serve some players better due to ease of use but it is not the MOST effective. Good players can compensate for the difference in velocities and overcome the charge mechanism via some training, to hit a mech in the same location.

Another better build might be 3 or 4 ERLLs paired with Gauss Rifles. Pinpoint precision up to 1000m and beyond. Sniper build that allows you to do surgical component targeting. You see a target => You can hit the target consistently and make him hurt.

Not everyone likes the charging mechanic of the gauss rifle.

I've tried and tried with gauss, and I'm simply better with ACs or Clan UACs. Maybe it has something to do with me having a problem tracking a lot of colors and moving objects at the same time.

Clan ER large lasers? 2 second burn time is ridiculous. If you put them on chainfire, you'll be firing for what seems like forever before you get through all four of them.

Edited by Training Instructor, 23 September 2014 - 11:46 PM.

#4 dtgamemaster

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 62 posts
  • LocationThe BattleField

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:35 AM

clan ERLL burn time has been changed to 1.6s and the ghost heat penalty reduced.

Edited by dtgamemaster, 24 September 2014 - 05:36 AM.

#5 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:54 AM

... I use a 3x Gauss Dire Wulf, also pretty effective!

#6 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:35 AM

View Postdtgamemaster, on 23 September 2014 - 09:08 PM, said:

That's funny, you mentioned two of my builds.

Prime: 2 x CERPPC, 2 X CGAUSS
B: 4 X CERLL, 2 X CGAUSS. I switched to the "A" right arm for the LA actuator and run the lasers in two groups. 1 for the two in the RA and one for the two in the LA.

I ran a build for a while similar to his A with the 3 LPL in the right arm and the CUA/C 20 in the left arm and didn't like it. I switched it two 2 x CERPPC in the right arm, 1 X CGAUSS in the left and 2 x CLRM15s in the LT w/Artemis and 900 ammo.

#7 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

And the pinpoint-scums immediately gathered like flies over rotten meat! Shoo! Shoo!

The other day in River City a triple Gauss Direwolf tried to take off my LT from the rare and failed. I turned my Prime around and ate its face in five seconds.

Edited by Helmstif, 24 September 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#8 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:31 AM

I love gauss based Dire Wolves. I give them hugs when I see them. It drives them crazy because there's no space for the gauss rifles to come together on a single section. They try to turn with me, I can usually get them to get stuck on something and then walk away while they take fire from my team trying to extract their boat from a 10lb rock.

Edited by Voivode, 24 September 2014 - 09:31 AM.

#9 Heinreich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

Pebbles. The bane of 100 ton mechs. I don't know if i should laugh or cry every time my atlas gets tripped up on one and i get melted into the ground :(

#10 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostHeinreich, on 24 September 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

Pebbles. The bane of 100 ton mechs. I don't know if i should laugh or cry every time my atlas gets tripped up on one and i get melted into the ground :(

LOL that happened to me in River City the other day. Embarassing as I'm sure it looked like I just stood there and took it like a 'tard.

View PostHelmstif, on 24 September 2014 - 09:02 AM, said:

And the pinpoint-scums immediately gathered like flies over rotten meat! Shoo! Shoo!

The other day in River City a triple Gauss Direwolf tried to take off my LT from the rare and failed. I turned my Prime around and ate its face in five seconds.

Spreading your damage via an LBX or any of the other sub-par Clan ballistics is just a surefire way to increase your damage stats but get less kills and not be as effective.

Edited by Kain Thul, 24 September 2014 - 09:58 AM.

#11 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 22 September 2014 - 07:50 PM, said:

(video demos come later. Busy with life and stuff)

The following guide aims at helping you play more effectively, efficiently and ultimately have more fun while playing and modifying your Dire Wolf, without wasting times and C-Bills experimenting on your favourite builds (cuz I did that for y'all). However it does indeed serve only as a reference, so adjust to taste.

So, the Dire Wolf, the 100-ton Clan-tech death machine that everyone fears, right?

...right?

Well.... :rolleyes:

Lemme put it this way: A Dire Wolf is more Atlas than an Atlas. You must position yourself strategically, ideally with good knowledge with the map and have a good idea where your team is going. I'll explain more in the following Pros/Cons analysis. Let's start with the cons:

- clumsy. A quick glance at Smurfy's and you'll see Dire Wolf has only 60 degrees of torso twist, any if you've seen/been in a Stalker, you know what that means in any sort of close-quarter situations. It does help that Dire Wolf has lower arm actuators, but it also has...

- arm-focused hardpoints. It means if you're loading lots of weapons in the arms - AC20, Gauss, two CERLLas plus CUAC5, etc. - you cannot have lower-arm actuators. (I hate you Paul.)

- slow. As we probably all aware by now, Clan 'mechs have their engines locked so no upgrades are available on that part. That means you absolutely don't wanna be left alone early-game, especially on smaller maps like Forest Colony or River city, where enemies could easily circle around the map and touch your team in the butt. It also means an experienced Jenner could easily be the end of you. Besides, you may wanna consider equipping some sort of LRM, because chance is you will not be the first one to see the enemy, and you definitely won't arrive at the party on time.

- massive size. Why is that'a problem? Same with why aircraft-carriers are called bomb-magnets, but with LRMs instead.

Okay, enough bashing the fat man. Now the good part:

- Firepower

- Firepower

- MOAR DAKKA (oh wait wrong universe :ph34r: )

Yes. XL300+Clan-tech means Dire Wolf could easily carry more firepower than an Atlas' wildest dream. Three seconds on any unexpected enemy 'mech and its armor magically disappear. So many times during late-game that a pug sees me around the corner and just go NOPE and run away as fast as possible.

So, combining the pros and cons, here's the mentality and strategy your should employ: keep up with the team, play the objectives (if there's any), and unload all the guns you have as soon as you see your 1st target (because you should be able to shred at least one section of armor to the structure, or even get a kill). When there're multiple targets in sight, pick the biggest, meanest enemy because the bigger it is, the easier it is to hit.

And Dire Wolf hits really, really hard.

Now, to the builds:

DWF-PRIME

Posted Image

Now, before you start B*TCHING about "hurr durr y no 2xCERPPC+2xCGauss gg noob", allow me to explain my reasons (other than my burning hatred toward anything that does more than 30 pinpoint damage. Scums.).

To be a sniper 'mech you need at least two out of three things: high-mount hardpoints ('pult, Jager, arguable Quickdraw) so you could fire from cover, 70+ km/h speed(Awesome 9M) to relocate during cooldown or after being surrounded, or a lot of armor. Dire Wolf has a lot of armor, but for various reasons stated above, it also attracts a lot of fire and consequently dies rather easily. In fact, 50 pinpoint damage could hardly kill anything up front (not mentioning Gauss and PPC projectiles have different speeds).

In fact, any of the three builds I present here would easily kill a pinpoint Dire Wolf SCUM during a single cooldown cycle. I've done it multiple times.

Now, back to the build itself. I usually would like to keep the build close to the original, but sadly anything resembles the stock Prime would be way too complicated to manage. This build, however, is what I call a moneymaker. You have some good-range from the CERPPC (dont forget it also has splash damage), you have the sweet, sweet DPS from the CUAC10 (seriously, CUAC10 is absolutely the best Clan AC, trust me), and you have LRM to harass enemies out of your sight, or to further shake their cockpit when they're under your direct fire. Admittedly you could only constant fire at a target with everything you've got for about 12 seconds, but I'm pretty sure 12 seconds is enough to put anything own except for Lights.

(Note: 1, you could use the CERPPCs stripped from your B variant. 2, no need to switch to A-variant LT Omni-Pod and equip 2xCLRM5 for more DPS, because the stock LT provides a 10% cooldown reduction, reducing LRM10's cooldown to 3.6 seconds, a fraction more than LRM5's 3.5 second. And you get the 8-piece bonus. 3, you COULD build it around 2xCUAC20, but those guns take a lot of hardpoints and makes squeezing more firepower in much more difficult.)

DWF-A

Posted Image

This is my favourite.

Because, in case you didn't notice, IT HAS LOWER ARM ACTUATORS (well, only one, but right now in game, one counts as two and your LA also turns as a result. Ain't gonna complain.)

(Also, notice that I've got all eight original Omni-Pods?)

Replacing CSSRMs with CLRMs because SSRMs are not very useful against anything other than Lights, and replaced CGauss with CUAC20 because CLRMs already have ranged targets covered, and CUAC20 has much higher DPS. Just remember to set your CLPL to chainfire, and you'll have the best all-range, all-purpose DPS monster in the game, as far as I can tell.

Except for one possible contender.

DWF-B

Posted Image

I think this one is pretty self-explanatory.

MOAR DAKKA!!!! (sry got carried away a little)

I did replace the CUAC2s with CAC2s though. I grouped arm weapons and torso weapons to my LMB and RMB separately. You could use the stock CUAC2s for even better DPS (which is already ridiculous), but I for one could not hold my aim steady while spamming BOTH mouth buttons.

Also I did reduce arm armor to 60 each to fit in more armor. The reduced defense is negligible, since 9/10 people would go for your CT first because they know they probably don't have the time to completely remove one arm, but it will probably be their end when you turn your attention to them.

If it's a you vs. many situation, then that's different. But you should involve yourself in that kind of situation in the first place, which goes back to my previous point: you need to come up with a bit of strategy. Your route, positioning, target priority, etc. Think about these for a few seconds before riding your Dire Wolf into battle.

Because it is not an easily tamed beast, but when you get the gist, you are - quite literally - unstoppable.

LRM and PPCs????

why are you guys even making guides???

#12 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 24 September 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

LRM and PPCs????

Agreed, theorycraft and gameplay are two different things. It may look good on paper, but in practice there's much more efficient and practical builds in a 12 vs. 12 match. No offense, OP.

#13 On1m

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 24 September 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

LRM and PPCs????

Hmm, I don't know. Maybe so we can have a reasonable and intelligent discussion about the relative merits of the chassis and its weapons load outs? Or maybe because we want people to try diverse builds so that not everybody plays exactly the same mech in exactly the same way? Either way your post does nothing to either further or refute the discussion.

For me the DWF-A build looks interesting and I think I might give it a try. Probably drop the AMS and Active Probe for more UAC-20 and LRM ammo.

I've also had some fun with this build for the DWF-B. It has some spare tonnage but the Dire Wolves have always had the problem that they really have more weapons than they can effectively deploy. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4df80101e732731

#14 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

please on behalf of my personal stats take the OP's builds and use them ALWAYS no exceptions!

anyway guass + erml is my suggestion

Edited by Summon3r, 24 September 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#15 Túatha Dé Danann

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

I have to agree with Prince Energy here. LRMs in a Dire-Whale are... well, bad. It can be a nice fire-support in order to level that thing on low tier ELO classes, but you will get ***** on higher ELO classes.

A guide should always be made for the target, meaning:
- A Dire Wolf that is easy to play for beginners
- A solid Dire for people who think they have all the basics and some sort of tactical and strategical insight (If you ever piloted a light in the last 3 months while standing still in LOS of the enemy: No you are not part of this category)
- A maximum-tech Dire for advanced players

So, for beginners, I'd say you can go with a combination of 2 LRM 15, Large Lasers and two Gauss. Everything is on range, you can fire your stuff even if you are the last to arrive on the battlefield and you have enough firepower for both support-fire from the back as well as on the frontline. Lasers hit where your crosshair is, Gauss are similar effective, you just have to learn the charging thing. LRMs for the n-brain-factor. Easy and enough firepower to get any job done.
Something like that:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c8e13ee679916a3

The next part would be something like Dual-Gauss/Dual to triple PPC. You have only two weapon groups and can concentrate on them, but you have two different pre-aiming points - thats for the advanced players, but still easy to use, as it is just click&hit There is a reason why it is the most often used Variant.
So something like that: (just a lazy symmetric build, there is def. room for tweaking)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...56763f9c453a03f

The last - and here it gets into my own preference, would be equipped with weapons for maximum dps, disregarding any hardships of disadvantages of aiming - as simply put: The pilot is so good, that he does not bother with 3 different weapon groups, 3 different ranges and 3 different pre-aim-points. He can drive it all simultaneously, because he is GOOD.

Without taking a sniff on myself, I'd say this would be my playground, with the following variant:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...73bf776d6825091

Why? It is cool, has a hell lot of dps and an answer to everything. From medium ranges to close ranged brawl, that thing is my personal favorite, as it has an answer to everything which is deadly on everything. The most deadly enemy right now are SRM boats, so you should be prepared. Fire your weapons when they charge onto you and if they get close, you can answer their fire with your own medicine. A good pilot is able to bring in SRMs on an enemy even in a DW.

There are other Build out there that are as valid as my build, but this thing is my personal preference. No arm actuators because... well, I don't need them - to be honest.

Edited by Túatha Dé Danann, 24 September 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#16 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

View Post00ohDstruct, on 24 September 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

Agreed, theorycraft and gameplay are two different things. It may look good on paper, but in practice there's much more efficient and practical builds in a 12 vs. 12 match. No offense, OP.

Just FYI, I have 2+ KDR on all three variants. ("hurr durr KDR means jack" well yeah I round about 800+ dmg per match too screw you)

And I also noted that I don't have time to record a video yet, but feel free to check my Hunchback guide and my YT channel, which, dare I say, adequately reflect my skill level.

Jeez people these days, DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO :ph34r:

Edited by Helmstif, 24 September 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#17 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

Mod hat on - Going to jump in and remind everyone to keep it civil... OP that goes for you as well.

Mod hat off - Have tried a few builds for my Whales... not on par with a vast majority of players but I can hold my own now and then. So far, I've settled on the 2xC-Gauss, 2xC-ERLL, 4xC-ERML build for my Whales... seems to be able to dish out damage at any range and hold it's own...

Have tired the 6xC-UAC5 builds and while fun, it just doesn't do it for me... while the DPS seems great, I just run into jams far to often for my liking (and no, haven't checked on macro's for them yet... LOL)

#18 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 24 September 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Just FYI, I have 2+ KDR on all three variants. ("hurr durr KDR means jack" well yeah I round about 800+ dmg per match too screw you)

And I also noted that I don't have time to record a video yet, but feel free to check my Hunchback guide and my YT channel, which, dare I say, adequately reflect my skill level.

anyone piloting a walking weapons platform of mass destruction such as the whale had better be scoring 800+ dmg per match or they are letting the team down..... the 3 guass builds are devastating backed up by lazors

#19 Túatha Dé Danann

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 24 September 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Every Mech - esp. IS mechs have a fixed character via fixed hardpoints. Depending on the pilots preference and skill, you can advise for both XL and Std. Engine on balanced mechs, as long as the pilot feels more 'comfortable' in his/her mech. Speed vs. survivability, while speed may give you enhanced survivability dep. on the situation. You know all that stuff.

The same goes now for the Clan mechs - but the other way around. They have a fixed engine, which means you have to adapt your loadout to it, instead of adapting your engine to properly fir your most efficient hardpoint usage (compared to IS-mechs)

As the DW is slow and not very agile, it need for the most part the primary firepower on the long/medium range basement. But a good pilot, who is able to get a good positioning done, can even go into a brawl. So depending on the pilots skills and preference, as well as the mechs capabilities, this mech is not a brawler, but like the ILYA, more of a second-line heavy fire supporter, because it is slow as a rolling potato.

So yeah, while your loadouts may seem to fit your personal preference, it is just yours - as well as mine are mine. No offense on this part, but for a good guide, you should put these... additional viewpoints into it. I for myself love the brawl and as much as I would like to see a Clan 100 ton mech to participate in that, it won't happen until the Kodiak is out. So I take my second favorite role, which is DAKKA - et voilá., there is a Build for that. BUT: Its my personal preference... again.

Just my 2 cents and: Carry on!

#20 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:00 AM

View PostOn1m, on 24 September 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

Hmm, I don't know. Maybe so we can have a reasonable and intelligent discussion about the relative merits of the chassis and its weapons load outs? Or maybe because we want people to try diverse builds so that not everybody plays exactly the same mech in exactly the same way? Either way your post does nothing to either further or refute the discussion.

For me the DWF-A build looks interesting and I think I might give it a try. Probably drop the AMS and Active Probe for more UAC-20 and LRM ammo.

I've also had some fun with this build for the DWF-B. It has some spare tonnage but the Dire Wolves have always had the problem that they really have more weapons than they can effectively deploy. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4df80101e732731

Question:

What's the OP's K/D, win/lose ratio, overall or stats in the direwolf?

Also, I ' m curious if you play on a team? Furthermore, past gaming experience?

^These are the questions people should be asking when they read the 10,000,000 guides listed on MWO forums.... ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users