Should There Be A Solaris Style Game Mode?

46 replies to this topic

Poll: Should there be a Solaris style game mode? (115 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be a Solaris or similiar game mode?

1. Yes (110 votes [95.65%])

Percentage of vote: 95.65%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I like where your going but I have my own idea (5 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

4. Not a good idea, here's an alternative (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Team Chevy86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:41 AM

Huh. Not a bad idea, and with the way the game currently plays it could be easily implemented. It would be a nice change from the usual arena matches
Reading these other comments on a gambling/spectator system. If they could get something like this going it would be a whole new game mode entirely. Which aside from CW this is exactly what MWO needs

Edited by Team Chevy86, 29 September 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#22 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

Frankly, I see this as a gamemode right alongside Skirmish, Conquest, and Assault. Simply check the box and drop for a 24-player-free-for-all! Wouldn't that be cool? :D

Of course, it would necessitate some tweaking to spawn locations and company listings. That shouldn't be too hard though, right?

#23 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:59 PM

View PostVixNix, on 26 September 2014 - 04:00 AM, said:

A friend and I drop together and we usually ask "Plan?" and I'd say 1 out of 6 or 7 we get a decent response.
the rest is the usual crap.
and MOST start yelling and cussing at you if you start capping the base

even though that usually draws off a lance from the mob and ends up winning a few games

I feel your pain & have experienced that as well which is why I don't ask. I simply take command and start issuing orders via the Command Interface and then execute the plan.
I ignore the crazies (and their comments) and continue with the plan with my other like-minded team members. And there usually are some like-minded team members/team players :)

Those who aren't behaving nicely I, well I simply attribute that to their artificial "intelligence." ;)
Keep in mind when I'm doing this I am reminiscing about playing Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries so I'm not taking the match too seriously and also throwing my concerns about KDR & WLR to the wind.
After all, it's just a game :P
That being said, I am using what I believe are solid strategies for accomplishing the mission of capturing the enemy base at all costs but with as few casualties to my team as possible.

But back to Solaris 7 style game mode:
It needs to be implemented and the best way to implement it is:
Copy the way MW2 Mercenaries and 4 Mercenaries did Solaris Arenas and play modes.
•Matches are by weight class: 24 mech free for all.
•Ladder ranking.
•"Grand Melee" Championship Match is open weight class.

•Very different maps to represent each Inner Sphere House:
Maps with (and sometimes lack of) environmental obstacles & hazards, atmosphere variety, and varity of area differences to accomodate and favor (or detract from) various playstyles and strategies.

•Commentary voice from a professional sports caster like (but not) Duncan Fisher. I say "not Duncan" because he was... umm hrrmmm... will be a great sports caster in 3066. Duncan is currently a mechwarrior fighting against the Clans ;)
That being said, it'd be great if our current (3049) Solaris 7 sports caster sounds just like Duncan Fisher ^_^ (Yes, I'm asking PGI to hire Mr. Ledoux)

•Because this is Solaris VII, and I cannot stress this enough, Inner Sphere Mechs and Inner Sphere Pilots ONLY.
Clanners would have no interest in these freebirth preschool games anyway <_<
That was a joke! :P People like me with a Clan "affiliation" can have an alternate "Inner Sphere personality" on their account for participating in activities like Solaris VII. (Let's make this count for CW!)
Alternatively Solaris VII can be a perk limited to Inner Sphere affiliated pilots only.
Was not joking on mechs: Inner Sphere Mechs only. At least until the 3060s (when Clan mechs were seen more often in the Inner Sphere).

•You can "dedicate" your fights to one of the Inner Sphere houses for loyalty points. (Again, let's make this count for CW!)

Also, all winnings should be in C-Bills.
If you win Grand Melee Championship it should be a badge you can display like "Founder" or "Overlord."

#24 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:04 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 29 September 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

Frankly, I see this as a gamemode right alongside Skirmish, Conquest, and Assault. Simply check the box and drop for a 24-player-free-for-all! Wouldn't that be cool? :D

Of course, it would necessitate some tweaking to spawn locations and company listings. That shouldn't be too hard though, right?

It would be cool!

But if it is going to allow any affililation (including Clanners) and any mech type it should be called "Solaris VII Training Match."

#25 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:33 AM

No teams let-hell-break-loose deathmatch. Bring it on.

#26 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

Yes, I want to hear Duncan Fisher just like the good old days.

#27 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:49 AM

+1

#28 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:04 AM

They should definitely make this, I miss the kill buzzer, but split it into Inner Sphere and Clan sections. I'd also like an announcer for it and prize c-bills for placing 1-3.

#29 Coaleman

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:30 PM

I think that if you limited it to Inner Sphere, you could make another mode (Clan Trials) limited to Clan 'mechs. Maybe with stricter rules.

Also, a good background/explanation of Solaris would be nice. I don' think I want people who aren't familiar with the Battletech universe running around and calling it 'mech hunger games.

Edited by Coaleman, 30 November 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#30 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

Solaris mode, free-for-alls...in a Solaris coliseum!

This must be done!

#31 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:17 PM

The only thing I would add to it, would be some kind of penalty for just flat out hiding during the initial rounds. Have mechs that are hidden for longer than a 1 minute to auto-eject/forfeit.

Also include multiple rounds, so it is more about skill and not just luck. "Oh you spawned in the center...that's too bad!"

The way I see it Innersphere Solaris is Clan Mechs Zellbrigen.

Zellbrigen "Arena's " could have mechs dual 1v1 at time with players selecting their opponents.
If it's an isolated setting it could be done.

Edited by Timuroslav, 30 November 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#32 Fat Jack Murphy

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEuropa

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:32 AM

Solaris VII rocks !
Similar Games have been held on:
- Antallos (Port Krin)
- Galatea
- Mars (Martial Olympics)
in the past - but Solaris will be the unbeaten Games Capital.

For Justin Xiang errr... Allard-Liao :)

#33 Fireeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 416 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:08 PM

well
http://mwomercs.com/...n/page__st__160

#34 Setun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 172 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:20 PM

If Skirmish was a straight up FFA then we'd have the Solaris gamemode already lol. But yes, I'd love something like that.

#35 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:16 PM

I'd love to see something like this for MWO in Community Warfare. Even the planet has that name staring at you.

#36 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:37 PM

View PostMoldycheese, on 23 September 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

Personally I would love to this kind of game mode, the Solaris matches were some of my favorite parts of MW4 Mercenaries. That being said I'm not saying it just cause I think it's cool. I really think it could be incorperated into CW, for instance if you dedicated your match to a certain faction you could gain prestige with them that allows you access to faction specific perks, equip, ect.

If you have other ideas for Solaris or something similiar please post so we can help PGI make this game the best it can be!

Solaris is basicly a arena match style game mode where there were 6 competitions, Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault, Arena Championship and Grand Championship. Once you had cleared all weight classes in an arena you qualified for the Arena Champ, then once you cleared all Arena Champs you qualified for the Grand Champ. You could also dedicate your wins to either house Davion or Stiener to gain reputation with them.

As far as I am concerned, every single match we've played so far in the public queue has been Solaris.

#37 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:30 PM

Solaris has been mentioned as something they definitely want to add to the game.
I actually think that the foundation for the mode could be added in fairly quickly.
When you look at the functionality in the private matches, you have all of the primary components you would need for the mode.
You can select a map.
Specify a tonnage limit.
It has the additional spectator option.

With a few changes it could be adapted.
Break it into two modes:
  • Solaris for InnerSphere only.
  • Trials for the Clans.
  • Rewards would vary a little between them, the Clan trials were for different reasons but the a quick example would be to win a bloodname. The Solaris matches are a sport, so it's more about trophies and money.
    Should cater for these differences and have the options.
  • Regular matches can be done each day, but a proper leaderboard tournament event would be a great thing to have with championship events being held each month, 6 months and yearly.
  • Would likely need to introduce a mech limit along with the tonnage. An Atlas facing off against 5 Locusts may not be very well balanced. Perhaps a small tonnage penalty for each additional mech added to one team.
  • Being able to broadcast the spectator view to a room in game which players can connect to and watch would be great.
  • Being able to access the spectator mech camera mode from a viewing room would also be great.
  • Putting some wagers on the outcome would add some non-combatant involvement.
  • Initially the existing maps will work, but arena specific maps for the mode would be much better and can be built in 8, 16, 24 player sizes.
  • Being able to view player rankings from the 'lobby' area before joining a match.
  • The lobby area needs a match list to select an existing challenge from, or the ability to create your own. The championship events could be handled differently. Probably some functionality that could be adopted from CW to facilitate this.
  • Make it immersive for not only the combatants, but the spectators as well.

#38 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:02 AM

View PostmasCh, on 26 September 2014 - 02:31 AM, said:

Solaris Arena free for all is definitely needed.

IS mechs only, split by class, and let people spectate the battles, place cbill bets.

Couldnt agree more! Maybe add MC bets as well or maybe have MC including other things as winner prizes?

And yes, for Clanners, they could have Trial battles as a compensation since Solaris should only be for IS for a time anyway regarding lore and timeline.

Edited by Tordin, 01 July 2015 - 10:03 AM.

#39 KageRyuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:45 AM

View PostHeroForHire, on 23 September 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

It'd be awesome to have a Solaris mode!
That being said I do strongly believe it needs to be limited to Inner Sphere mechs only.

You wouldn't see any Clan tech on Solaris 7 until sometime after the Battle of Tukayyid.

It's a Solaris mode, not Solaris 7, after all Clans do duel among themselves for position and resources all the time.

#40 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:35 PM

Here are a few things that I would add to this:

Relations System:
  • Faction Feuds- Allows you to increase your Loyalty Points by taking out a rival faction.
  • Grudges- Lets you see the feuds that each player has against your faction.
  • Dedications- Allows you to increase your Loyalty Points for a faction after you win.
  • Reputation- Views your status in solaris.
Ranking System:
  • Shows your current status in Solaris (Rookie for new players and Grand Champion for the winner)
  • In-game leaderboards for each player with a faction and rank.
Observer's View
  • Choose who you want to bet on and the opponent you want to bet against
  • Wager C-bills on your duelist, receive or lose C-bills depending on your outcome
  • Watch Battles without participating
Rewards:
  • Solaris Titles: Underdog, Superstar, Head Honcho, etc
  • GXP, MC, and C-bills increase depending on your Solaris Rank

Edited by Will9761, 12 July 2015 - 11:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users