28 replies to this topic

#21 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:02 PM

Nova is hurt by ghost heat, which is unfortunate, because it could have been a great medium. Cataphract is a very good heavy mech, and most of it's variants are viable. (Still have my 3 AC5, 3 med laser Illya.)

#22 Theallmightyevil

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:11 PM

View PostBrody319, on 27 September 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

Nova is garbage, it has too many lasers. You core yourself from heat before the enemy does. I see it a lot. 3 Novas. 4 minutes into the game, player 3 has killed player 3. player 5 has killed player 5. ect ect.

It happens if you panic - if you bide your time, position carefully and learn heat management it won't be an issue.
Besides it can be fun if done intentionally.
I had a match once (you know the kind - somehow you and your team f*** up and suddenly score is 4-11), enemy team was coming for me 2 Lights and a Griffin had me. I managed to kill the Griffin but my CT was critical when a Summoner steps into view with others trailing. With nowhere to go and nothing to lose I walk into him and melt his face.
It killed him, me and got me the headshot achievement XP.

#23 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:31 AM

my experience: had both, all three in series, elited, mastered both lines out-I think I may have almost finished off the prime nova and one of the catafracts, for a total of two in each series... both are quite similar, moreso than you'd think
arm setup, torso twist, quirks, jumpjets, a serious alpha....my damage output in both was quite similar after a hundred + battles in the variant I decided to keep (nova-s, cat 3d)
Hard to look at variants you just grind and move past-you're not enjoying them, you're just grinding them, and it takes at least 30-40 battles to really master the thing AFTER you have it all elited out. You know, to sort of settle into what it is, and quit running out early in the battle and dying with less than a 100 damage....
I run the nova more now for a variety of reasons, mostly the cool looking HUD, pretty much what it boiled down to for me.
I broke 800 damage in the Cat once, broke 700 damage in the nova twice...1000 damage in either just eludes me...never got more than 5 kills in either. BUT I did get that "no, seriously I'm dead this time" award in the Cat

#24 Toiletbrush

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationBEHIND YOU!!

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:30 AM

phract 3d with xl 300 2xlbx10 4xML
2 jj,lbx cooldown module,mlrange module
brings fun and dosh

#25 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:32 AM

Nova is just too hot... get a hot map on top of that and your DPS just drops to almost nothing as you have to fire and then wait forever to cooldown...
Nova has dropped to "worst clan mech" IMO since the heat nerfs on clan energy weapons...

#26 Tzukasa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

You'll regret the Nova For Sure. There's 2 mechs I tell new players to avoid buying as their 1st mechs... The Orion and the Nova... You've already made the mistake of one of those, don't make the other.

The Cataphract is a great chassis aside from, Imo due to engine limits, the 4X. The CTX-3D is the best of them. But don't forget you'll also have to grind the 1X and 2X for your three variants to unlock the elites and speed tweak for the 10% perm speed boost and the faster fire rate + module slot ect ect. So yah get the 3D, 1X and 2X and avoid the 4X plus any and all nova's atm is my advise.

#27 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:59 AM

Put me in the Cataphract camp.

Mind you, I disliked most of them intensely ... but also mind you, they do more than the Nova and don't blow chunks while doing it.

#28 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:07 AM

It is too bad PGI did not allow for 3 Catapult K-2 like variants.

If you go with a Nova try machine guns and a/cs as well as lasers.

#29 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:13 AM

CATAPHRACT !!!!! beats all

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users