Overdrive Mech Module

6 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai 7

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:01 PM

Im thinking something like a mech module that will trade speed for heat.
It would be upgradeable like the cool down modules and as you go higher the more % of speed you gain when activated.
It would have a toggle on/off button vs jump jets where you have to hold something down. When its on, your speed gauge would tack on a extra bar above the current bar that would indicate when you are over your recommended speed.
When you are moving faster than 100%, you would incur a heat penalty that would slowly cause your mech to overheat and shut down. This would be a constant penalty like standing in lava, vs a static penalty like going from outside the volcano to the inside.

The idea is for larger mechs to be able to find cover from lrms faster. Right now if there is a lrm boat and you are caught, there is no possible way to get to cover before you are destroyed and incredibly damaged.

To make this useful, I think that a top end would be to double the speed at maybe something like a 3x heat penalty and would last up to 20 seconds before over heat.
Something powerful enough to get you out of the way, but dangerous enough where you cant really fire while its activated or risk shutting down.

#2 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

This sounds a lot like MASC.

#3 Samurai 7

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:32 PM

That it does;
But i dont want it to take crit spots; i have a hard enough time surviving with what i have. I would rather it just be a mech module;

#4 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

Well, there is also the Supercharger.

#5 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 24 September 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

Well, there is also the Supercharger.

Only problem I see with that is wasn't that in the Maximum Tech Sourcebook... covering 3056 and later... so still a bit out of the time-frame... but... doable in the long run...

Extra speed at the risk of engine criticals... worth the trade off in the right situation(s)...

#6 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostSamurai 7, on 24 September 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

That it does;
But i dont want it to take crit spots; i have a hard enough time surviving with what i have. I would rather it just be a mech module;

Come on guy, you can't boost for nothing. You gotta give IP something...that's the BT and overall balanced mechanic way.

#7 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

View PostSamurai 7, on 24 September 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

That it does;

Ah, screw it. It's a bad idea.
Any idea where you want something for nothing is a bad idea. Everything costs. Nothing is free.

And anything that isn't canon is also a bad idea. Like mech modules.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users