Are you a clanner and why?

128 replies to this topic

#101 DariusTheSnow

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

i've been a clanner since the old league days and shall stay a clanner forever cause i believe in defending my clan to the bitter end even if it means my own death.

#102 James Pryde IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:00 AM

My first ever mech game, was mechwarrior 2, and I chose Clan Jade Falcon

#103 Bindaerr

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

• Posted Image
  • Members
  • Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

Posted ImagePinTBC, on 24 June 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

Didn't read the books I see?

I am a Clanner. I am a member of The Bloody Clans. We are an inner sphere mercenary group, that need no 'crutch, magic win button mechs' to succeed where others fear to tread.

Our Clan was founded during the original MPBtech game on GENIE, and some of the posters here I recognize from the glory days. We date as a clan to a time well before any mention of tube born warriors showed up in the novels.

In game terms, the Clans being introduced like they were royally screwed the board game, and was the start of a very poorly thought out timeline that culminated in the disaster that was the Dark Ages.

Every Tom, ****, or Harry that couldn't win at the board game with the inner sphere mechs due to the need to be able to figure multiple probabilities out, suddenly had a mech that made Candyland look cerebral. The funny thing is.. most of them still sucked, but the board game turned into a farce.

So, I stand by my statement. I am a Clanner. A member of The Bloody Clans.

PinTBC

My Blood is not mine to give.
It belongs to my brothers.

You realize that MPBT on the Genie went into beta after The Jade Pheonix trilogy was first published right? As in it was canon that Clanners were vat bred before MPBT was a thing.

Other than that quibbling tidbit, I agree that Clan players have and always will be munchkins in it for the gear despite their claims to the contrary.

Not that it matters all that much to this new game, but as I recall the MPBT developers requested that the name be changed from clanners because of the jade phoenix trilogy and it's use of the clans. So we became The bloody Clans instead.

#104 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

Right in time.. And as you can easily see, there are actually some Clansmen who are passionated about the lore and traditions of their Clan and the Clans as a whole..

#105 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

Wow. I am never sure which of these necros are the biggest.

#106 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

First post and a 2 year necro. Interesting. At least it's a decent thread. I was bored, so incoming long post! :D
I'm not sure if I'm a clanner or not. Eventually I'll start reading everything Battletech related to decide for myself, but in the meantime it'd be nice if some people that are really into the lore would make a personality test or something. I won't do it because I don't have a decade of experience reading the lore of Battletech.

In Mechwarrior 2 where Jade Falcon and Wolf were the only clans (and no inner sphere either). I liked Jade Falcon more because Wolf is pretty gosh darn boring. Wolf seems to be nothing but "we're the good guys because we're nice and we never do anything wrong" which has been done a bazillion times in other media. Clan Wolf at least has the best designed icon of any faction in Battletech imo. Overall I just loved everything about Jade Falcons when I was a kid. Though people change over time and now I know about more factions so I'm not sure what to pick.

I think I am more of a clanner than Inner Sphere though:
Laio: My most despised faction in Battletech. I can't even like them for being bad guys like I can with Clan Smoke Jaguar. Call it hypocritical, but in fantasy games I prefer it when the bad guys are super powerful but the good guys are weak and have to do underhanded things to win. There's just nothing about Laio that I like. I would say they are underdogs, but FRR is more of an underdog than Laio so there goes that.
Davions: Not a fan of ac/2s and ac/5s. They also seem just as boring as Clan Wolf trying to be good all the time. Though I really don't know enough about the Davions other than that, but those 2 features are pretty bad for them.
Steiner - Bunch of lazy unskilled pilots that rely on large machines to carry them (outside of combat they sound like they could be fun, buy whatever you want. Sounds like they could have some sweet parties)
FRR - Vikings. Not a fan of vikings (though underdog thing is alright, and I like the Shield Snake logo)
Marik - They have some nice mechs, and aside from PPCs + Missiles, lasers are probably the next weapon system I like. I like how they are just trying to get everyone to work together. Marik doesn't really have anything super special that draws me to them though.

Kurita: IMO the most clanlike of the Inner Sphere because of their honor and strict military lifestyle. I'm no *looks it up*.... "otaku".... but Japanese things and Samurai stuff is pretty cool. But the biggest influence is their love for PPCs and Missiles which have always been my favorite weapons to use in mechwarrior games (and later they make Heavy+Light PPC and MRMs), and that Jenner (Jenner IIC was my favorite mech to use in MW2 gameplaywise as well) + Dragon are 2 of my favorite designs in MWO. Also, Mad Dog is my favorite Battletech design out of the hundreds of mechs listed on sarna and has a loadout I love. Kurita makes the Avatar, and owns the factory of Alshain Weapons which produces the Vulture MK III. Kurita has my favorite Inner Sphere icon (and I'm biased towards dragons. Not as much towards eastern dragons, but they are still dragons non-theless)

Overall I think I like Clans more. The mechs themselves is one of the major reasons of course, The majority of Battletech mech designs I like are Clan mechs (sprinkle in a few Word of Blake mechs too). The Honor + Zellbrigen is what I love about all the clans (too bad Zellbrigen is generally a rare thing in MWO). I also love the silly words that clans use (Someday I'll learn them all and use them). I also like the idea of being outnumbered.

I've been debating whether or not to join Clan Ghost bear. Main reason is because on Sarna both the Mad Dog page and Ghost Bear page says that the Ghost bears love the hell out of Mad Dog. The fact that they worry so much about their allies is something I like (and I tend to get myself killed by trying to protect the lemmings that go off alone all to often anyways). They also seem like super fast mediums+lights and really tough assaults with supporty heavies, which is the type of team I like as well.

Clan Goliath Scorpion does have my interest, because I like the whole seeker thing. They seem to like honor more than any other clan and stick to zellbrigen strongly, and the "Dance of the Scars" sounds fun to re-enact with mechs. I love the speed+precision combo. While all the pilot drawings for all factions are cheesy as hell, the Goliath Scorpions get pilots that look like ninjas (which I am biased towards). They also have one of the better faction icons (and I'm biased towards scorpions). It's nice that they seem to have some nice rivalry with the Nova Cats for whoever is more accurate from time to time (and the Goliath Scoprions ironicly dismiss the pyromancy as nonsense since they drink necrosia). :angry: I could be wrong, but it seems like they treat their bondsmen nicely in comparison to other clans, maybe I'm thinking of something else.
However, they don't really fit into MWO since they only care about finding star league tech and bringing it back to it's former glory. But if they do get into the game I'll probably change my faction to them. Also it doesn't really seem that Goliath Scorpion has many mechs of their own besides

TL:DR: I'm Kuritan for now, but I'll probably be Ghost Bear in the future when Mad Dog comes out. I'm a clanner probably.

#107 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostMeatMonkey, on 23 June 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

Back in TT days always played as clan and portrayed my warriors like heroic greek theme. Especially Achilles from the Illiad who chose a short life of honor and glory on the battlefield over a long mediocre life.

Clanner because I fit the clanner LORE.

#108 CronuxKobold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 103 posts
  • LocationFighting the good fight on an undesclosed planet

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:54 AM

Clan Wolf forever and always. Ever since MW2. I was originally sided with Jade Falcon but my grandfather did some digging in the storyline found that clan wolf were protectors and the falcons were invaders and sided with clan wolf. I followed in after him. After he passed away and some 15 years after that, I continue to fly the banner of Clan Wolf in his honor.

#109 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

MW2 was my introduction to the franchise and I've been a clanner at heart ever since. I'm a firm believe in a meritocracy and might makes right and despise "fairness doctrine".

Clan Wolf--We carry the legacy of Kerensky as his chosen clan.

#110 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:22 PM

I have been a Clansman for many years.

What is this "clanner" you speak of.

(pssst, if you know the difference between the two words, you do not need to be told why we choose Clan)

#111 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:30 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 26 September 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

MW2 was my introduction to the franchise and I've been a clanner at heart ever since. I'm a firm believe in a meritocracy and might makes right and despise "fairness doctrine".

Clan Wolf--We carry the legacy of Kerensky as his chosen clan.

Anyone who believes in meritocracy and supports a caste system is a hypocrite. At least Clan Wolf in Exile proved merit was the most important thing.

As for me, my heart is Clan Wolf because the Wolves revere history while looking forward to a better future.

Edited by Demona, 26 September 2014 - 07:33 PM.

#112 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:30 AM

View PostDemona, on 26 September 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

Anyone who believes in meritocracy and supports a caste system is a hypocrite. At least Clan Wolf in Exile proved merit was the most important thing.

Well, trueborn children are constantly tested to assign them to a place well suiting his skills. True, freeborns often stay in the same caste of their parents, but sometimes they can change their caste when they have skills better useful in a higher caste.

Anyway, no system is perfect (except the FedCom, obviously! :P)

Edited by CyclonerM, 27 September 2014 - 04:30 AM.

#113 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 27 September 2014 - 04:30 AM, said:

Well, trueborn children are constantly tested to assign them to a place well suiting his skills. True, freeborns often stay in the same caste of their parents, but sometimes they can change their caste when they have skills better useful in a higher caste.

Anyway, no system is perfect (except the FedCom, obviously! :P)

Trueborn children are handed everything on a silver platter. They are given an entire childhood to prepare for the best caste and if they wash out, they are typically placed in the next highest castes, still being given every opportunity. Freeborn warriors have to continually prove their skill despite, not only not receiving the same resources, but being actively opposed and blocked.

"We should define our accomplishments not by what we have achieved, but by what we have overcome."

As such, Freeborn warriors in the Clans have always earned more admiration from me than the Trueborn, who are effectively born with silver spoons in their hands.

The idea that the Clans support a meritocracy is a grand joke. :P

#114 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

Well, I personally see myself as a Coyote. Not sure why exactly, but that is where I stand.

And hence, the character I use to portray myself is a coyote. XD

#115 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostDemona, on 27 September 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

Trueborn children are handed everything on a silver platter. They are given an entire childhood to prepare for the best caste and if they wash out, they are typically placed in the next highest castes, still being given every opportunity. Freeborn warriors have to continually prove their skill despite, not only not receiving the same resources, but being actively opposed and blocked.

"We should define our accomplishments not by what we have achieved, but by what we have overcome."

As such, Freeborn warriors in the Clans have always earned more admiration from me than the Trueborn, who are effectively born with silver spoons in their hands.

The Blood Spirits tend to disagree with this point of view......

#116 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:36 AM

Well, you are not wrong. But send me a PM when you see a perfect society :P

I might have earned your admiration then.. I am a freeborn, bondsman from the Inner Sphere (very Phelan Kellish i admit) and now warrior of Alpha Galaxy instead of Epsilon (which technically is where i should belong to , as they send there freeborns and older warriors :ph34r: ).

#117 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:28 AM

I am a clanner.

Specifically Clan Ghost Bear...

They are just awesome and I respect their battle tactics and culture.
Most reasons said above but CGB are special, they normally wait and see how things go before getting to heavily involved.
There ambush tactics and their mechs are awesome and also they are the only clan that allows people to marry (and have kids I believe). They are quite friendly with all the other clans, having a large number of alliances, truces, and such with most of them excluding a few. While having very long term relationships with Snow Raven. They also eventually merged with the FRR giving them access to clan tech and quite a lot of territory.

I am also a bit of an FRR fan as well. So FRR + CGB is like a Raven + Catapult. It's a match to be.

#118 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:43 AM

100%ly a Steiner soldier!

#119 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:00 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 28 September 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

I am a clanner.

Specifically Clan Ghost Bear...

They are just awesome and I respect their battle tactics and culture.
Most reasons said above but CGB are special, they normally wait and see how things go before getting to heavily involved.
There ambush tactics and their mechs are awesome and also they are the only clan that allows people to marry (and have kids I believe). They are quite friendly with all the other clans, having a large number of alliances, truces, and such with most of them excluding a few. While having very long term relationships with Snow Raven. They also eventually merged with the FRR giving them access to clan tech and quite a lot of territory.

I am also a bit of an FRR fan as well. So FRR + CGB is like a Raven + Catapult. It's a match to be.

All the Clans allow "marriages". They are just dictated by the caste :P And they are allowed to have kids. Otherwise how would the Clan population increase? Trueborns and iron wombs are noth enough..

And i would say that Catapult+Marauder is more of a match to be ;)

#120 CronuxKobold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 103 posts
  • LocationFighting the good fight on an undesclosed planet

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:22 AM

Your words give this freebirth some hope. In the realms of classic battletech, I was only given command of my unit because no trueborn would accept it. Vladimir Ward didn't even allow me the chance chance promotion to Star Colonel until after I won a trial of Grievance. It is not easy being free.

Edited by Torrance, 29 September 2014 - 05:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users