Are you a clanner and why?

128 replies to this topic

#1 Khan Matthew Osis

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

Back in TT days always played as clan and portrayed my warriors like heroic greek theme. Especially Achilles from the Illiad who chose a short life of honor and glory on the battlefield over a long mediocre life.

Edited by MeatMonkey, 23 June 2012 - 09:41 AM.

#2 ermine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

If the fight comes down to clan vs IS, neg. Clan mech will simply be a crutch, quiaff?

#3 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

Yes, and I was captured as a bondsman. *le shrug*

#4 Schtirlitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

I like Clans more than IS, because they have no foolish dirty politics. Clans have their negative poins, but again - NO DIRTY POLITICS

#5 Alexander Caine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

Nope, i'm not. As for reason, it's because i'd like to play the game this year...you Clan types are still way off in the Kerensky Cluster. Sucks to be you ;)

#6 Erbun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 206 posts
  • LocationFlorida US

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

I would disagree that the Clan does not have it's own dirty politics.

I have always felt drawn to the Clans, and especially Clan Wolf, because I have always felt like a warrior, and more so, a warrior that fights for defense and freedom of innocents.

About 6 years after becoming a fan of Mechwarrior 2, and shortly battletech, I joined the ultimate Warrior society, the Marines. And after getting out of the Marines I finally got my hands on and started reading the old battletech novels. The Blood of Kerensky trilogy really hits home for me having lived the warrior lifestyle. I am still a fan of some of the houses and characters of the IS, but as Phelan Wolf stated, the clans just felt like home.

#7 Scav3ng3r

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

If this game ends up being Clans vs IS PvP, I am playing on the side with the fewest players, cause it's always more fun when you're outnumbered ;)

#8 Topgear

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • 9 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Superior tech, and at least they attempt to be honourable.

#9 Alexander Caine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

The Clans are actually just as underhanded and hypocritical as the IS really. They CLAIM to be honourable, but the fiction and fluff is packed FULL of exampl;es of them backstabbing, betraying, using plitics to gain advantage, and everything else.

At least the IS aren't as self delusional about things.

#10 Darksabbath

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

View PostDijalin, on 23 June 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

If this game ends up being Clans vs IS PvP, I am playing on the side with the fewest players, cause it's always more fun when you're outnumbered ;)

It's not out-numbered, you are just fighting in a target rich enviornment!

Edited by Darksabbath, 23 June 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#11 Major Bill Curtis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Andurien

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

I'd play Diamond Sharks or Goliath Scorpions, but I'm thinking this will be more of a Wolf/Falcon/Jaguar situation.

I'd play a Homeworld Clan beating on other clans. Speaking of which, I'd play Nova Cats for the Great Refusal.

Regarding the coming invasion and its Crusader mentality? No chance. I'll stick with the Free Worlds League, where the politics are honest and the state is true and we never ever do anything mean or nasty to anyone, or underhanded, or oppressive ;)

Edited by Major Bill Curtis, 23 June 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#12 Haakon Valravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 354 posts
  • LocationSWMT

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

MechWarrior 2.

I actually thought that MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries occurred in a different universe or a completely different time (like several centuries before MW2, not least of all because of how crappy the tech seemed)... until Clan Wolf crapped all over my Rasalhague pirate-smashing party. (Didn't play GBL until after Mercs.)

After that, I basically did not identify with any Inner Sphere faction. Being introduced to the Inner Sphere via the scumbag trainer in 2Mercs combined with the opening sequence depicting your DropShip abandoning your boss and the general sleaziness of the jobs assigned to small, two-bit mercenary units, as occur early on in the game, just made me not think positive things about Spheroid barbarians. Actually pushed me firmly into the Crusader Clan camp. Later on, I gradually moved into the Warden camp, after getting some more sympathetic views of the Inner Sphere (particularly the Smoke Jaguar occupation), but still rooted for the Clans for the most part.

Edited by Haakon Valravn, 23 June 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#13 Ishtar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationVirginia/DC

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

Respect for the Star League and Aleksandr Kerensky

Quote from Kerensky

“ Return to the Inner Sphere is impossible for us. Our heritage and our convictions are different from those we left behind. The greed of the five Great Houses and the Council Lords is a disease that can only be burned away by the passing of decades, even centuries. And though the fighting may seem to slow, or even cease, it will erupt again as long as there are powerful men to covet one another's wealth. We shall live apart, conserving all the good of the Star League and ridding ourselves of the bad, so that when we return, and return we shall, our shining moral character will be as much our shield as our BattleMechs and fighters.

#14 Alexander Caine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

View PostIshtar, on 23 June 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

Quote from Kerensky

“ Return to the Inner Sphere is impossible for us. Our heritage and our convictions are different from those we left behind. The greed of the five Great Houses and the Council Lords is a disease that can only be burned away by the passing of decades, even centuries. And though the fighting may seem to slow, or even cease, it will erupt again as long as there are powerful men to covet one another's wealth. We shall live apart, conserving all the good of the Star League and ridding ourselves of the bad, so that when we return, and return we shall, our shining moral character will be as much our shield as our BattleMechs and fighters.

It was a nice idea, but they really didn't pull it off.
To elaborate: While many Clansmen did believe this, the invasions was primarily politically motivated. They certainly did NOT have a shining moral character. The Smoke Jaguars were of course the worst, but all of the Clans had shady politicians, atrocities, and a lot of blood on their hands.

What's worse, the invasion was doomed from the start. They simply vastly underestimated the IS ability to fight back, and were lulled into a false sense of superiority with their initial invasion victories. They didn't stop to consider that they hit the weakest borders, caught them off guard, and had a massive element of surprise.

once the serious fighting began, the invasion actually crumbled fast, and the extermination of the Jaguars pretty much hit home that they stodd zero chance of success.

Edited by Alexander Caine, 23 June 2012 - 10:18 AM.

#15 Scav3ng3r

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

View PostIshtar, on 23 June 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

Quote from Kerensky

So....... which clans hold true to this quote again?

#16 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

View PostSchtirlitz, on 23 June 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

I like Clans more than IS, because they have no foolish dirty politics. Clans have their negative poins, but again - NO DIRTY POLITICS

Read "Twilight of the Clans"

#17 bikerbass77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 333 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Cambs, UK

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

Given the chance, I would love to play as a Warden Wolf clanner. Maybe I can get captured as a bondsman with Phelan Kell...

Besides, most of the best mechs are clan.

#18 Lumpi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 90 posts
  • Locationwherever the LCAF/AFFC wants me to fight

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Nope, not a clanner. IS, Steiner in particular, all the way. But I would love to capture a Mad Cat :D

#19 kimorsen

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

I'm a clanner in my heart, ever since the MW2 and the epic battle between Wolves and Jade Falcons. For me it's not the superior tech (which in fact does not give any advantage in fighting Clan vs Clan) that keeps me with them but the honor and valor as understanded not by the great Clan leaders (who has some dark stains on their conscience) but a simple MechWarrior strongly believing in Kerensky's dream of reestablishing the Star League as it once was. I would fight for the glory of the Clans till my last breath. Seyla!

#20 Reoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

No.

i was there at Tukayyid, when we stood united against them the first time. I'll be waiting there for them to come again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users