14 replies to this topic

#1 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

What you see in-game is most all players bring two Gauss Rifles due to the high concentration required to fire it and the low damage, 15, for the high tonnage, 15 tons.

In Battle Tech the Gauss Rifle is rarely used this way, 2xGauss Rifles. Blood Asp, and MKII is all I can think of offhand, but assault class mechs. Most mechs carry just one and so many variants come with a single Gauss Rifle. Not having the Gauss Rifle usable in single fashion damages the fighting capability of hundreds of Medium, Heavy, and Assault mechs.

So what we have currently with the one second hold charge is not working. It's not supporting Battle Tech's mechs, or players with lower skills, or who use joysticks, since the click-drag-release mechanic was only ever designed for a mouse, is only accurate with a mouse. You can't aim with a joystick in just one second also.

So some improvement in accessibility, functionality, is needed for the Gauss Rifle to be competitive when used in the normal single mount configuration. It should not be weighted so only 2xGauss are competitive.

Suggestion: When just one Gauss Rifle is used the mech can hold the charge for 3-4 seconds due to the lower power drain. Or no charge-up at all. A fair balance.

Edited by Lightfoot, 20 October 2014 - 03:58 AM.

#2 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

This is an interesting idea that manages to flow with the already in place 'power' limit they are using on Gauss. And for the sake of mindful interpretation a powered down Gauss should not suffer high explosive damage on destruction.

#3 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:44 AM

I support this idea. It gives a good buff to singular gauss rifles, and gives people good incentive to use just one. Though perhaps the number might be in need of tweaking.

#4 Domoneky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

I Honestly wouldn't oppose a Longer charge up time when two gauss are being charged up at the same time. Gauss Rifles require a lot of energy right? So shouldn't two Gauss rifles spool up slower than one?

#5 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

Careful buddy, too much logic makes you foamy and we do not yet have you padlocked in the cockpit. I dont need you biting the thumbs off another bay jockey!

#6 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me (I'd know, I run a lot of Gauss).

#7 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

@ Xphr BLAAAARGHGHPLBABLEP

#8 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

I am bumping this because I think it's important for Mech Class and Model balance and that it is important to break MWO away from the 2xGauss only mode that it is currently locked into. Holding the charge longer when only one Gauss Rifle is used should do that and be balanced.

Suggestion: When just one Gauss Rifle is used the mech can hold the charge for 3 seconds due to the lower power drain. Or no charge-up at all. A fair balance.

Edited by Lightfoot, 20 October 2014 - 03:58 AM.

#9 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:20 PM

This is still an excellent idea that solves the problems alot of recent nerfs have tried to, but with a reward for using a single Gauss Rifle instead of some really gameplay crushing changes to weapons.

As I mentioned, so many mechs in Battle Tech come with a single Gauss Rifle, can only fit a single Gauss Rifle and rely on it to function as a normal long range weapon. This change would really level the field of play for so many mechs and fix the multi-Gauss problem for all but a few diehards who would continue to use the Gauss in 2x paired groupings.

Suggestion: When just one Gauss Rifle is used the mech can hold the charge for 3-4 seconds due to the lower power drain. Or no charge-up at all. A fair balance.

Edited by Lightfoot, 20 October 2014 - 03:59 AM.

#10 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:05 AM

I amended the original post with the idea that a single Gauss Rifle should not require a charge phase at all. That would almost guarantee that very few would use more than one Gauss Rifle. The Assaults might pair it with an AC20, but the AC20 is so slow the two would never hit at the same time same place if the target was moving. Mechs always pair up like or similar weapons, but this would curb the Gauss Rifle to just one.

#11 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

I like this. I could go for a shorter charge up time/longer charge holding time for single Gauss Mechs.

#12 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:37 AM

I've never been a huge fan of the Gauss charge mechanic. That said, it'd be an interesting change to allow single Gauss builds to charge faster and hold charges longer than dual-builds.

#13 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:12 AM

Why hasn't this been implemented yet?

#14 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:12 AM

Since we're on the topic of gauss balance - TT Gauss had a min range of 60m.

This is one of the reasons why you probably will not see this (the proposal) implemented:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bab113d1ccb65f5

Edited by Saxie, 30 October 2014 - 05:12 AM.

#15 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostSaxie, on 30 October 2014 - 05:12 AM, said:

Since we're on the topic of gauss balance - TT Gauss had a min range of 60m.

Its damage should be muted under 60m.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users