Tag Question - Artemis Question

10 replies to this topic

#1 Odd Thomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

1) A while back , when Tag was placed on a target the reticle turned re. it doesn't anymore...

Is that just me?

2) on a LRM TW- if it;s a choice bteen more missiles or Artemis - which is better choice? Only have LoS occassinally so Artemis won't work then........

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:27 PM

1- You still see a mark over the target. Also, it could be that your TAG was hitting an invisible wall?

2-How many launchers are you using? Are LRMs your main weapon on that T-Wolf?

If you have less than 4 launchers, then Artemis can be worth it. So long as those launchers are all in the LRM15 range.

#3 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:32 AM

1. TAG doesn't make your reticle light up anymore. Neither does NARC. I think you actually have to do damage to your target for the reticle to light up now.

2. If you don't fire with line-of-sight often, absolutely more missiles (or ammo/heatsinks/backup weapons) over Artemis.

Edited by DEMAX51, 26 September 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#4 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

LRMs are far more devastating with LOS and TAG. The only time you don't want LOS is if you're a suppression lurmer and you just spray the enemy with LRM5s. But if you really intend to kill and do serious damage, you prefer to have LOS.

If you had to choose one though, take TAG over Artemis primarily because TAG negates ECM and Artemis doesn't and because of the extra ton for each Artemis launcher, whereas TAG is always just 1 ton.

#5 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:29 AM

Also, Artemis increases the launcher size by an additional critical slot. But the biggest drawback to Artemis, as has previously been stated, is that it makes each launcher an additional ton. I have 2 different Stalker lrm boats: One has 2 lrm 20s with Artemis, and the other has 5 lrm 5s without Artemis.

#6 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:10 AM

Hitting a target with TAG does not cause the cross ears to flash red anymore, just a TAG mark over the targeting info.

TAG and Artemis are great together. They stack unlike NARC. So line of sight on a target under 750m can be devastating.

If you are in a mech that does not use LOS for firing missiles or it just seams that you are not firing direct just because of game play artemis is not worth it. See how you play before installing artemis is what I can advise, and then make the assessment.

I have a battlemaster with artemis, but a similar loadout in a jagermech without artemis. Most of my mediums with missiles have artemis, but a few do not. Only two LRM boats that I use do not have TAG in the mediums, heavies or assualts. One is the Cat A1, and the other is one shadowhawk with one energy hard point. Now I run the Oxide from time to time with 4 LRM 5's with no artemis and TAG. The best I have ever done in the Oxide was just over 600 damage out of 720 missiles. The key, firing at targets below 300 m on alpine.

So other things will affect how many missiles hit: range, cover, and AMS. TAG and Artemis either together or at least TAG is what you want. The need for artemis should be determined by your game play.

When I compare my hit percentage for LRM X to Artemis LRM X hit percentages it is a 4 or 5% increase. The one exception is LRM 5's where both are about the same for hit percentage. I am thinking due to AMS.

#7 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:11 AM

Not being super experienced myself, I did play a lot of LRMS my first 2 months of gameplay, and tried a lot of different styles, and ART almost never seemed worth it. Also, nearly every vet I've talked to has highly recommended BAP + TAG as far superior to ART in nearly any situation with LRMS. As someone else said, unless you're doing all LOS, LRM 5 stream stuff, and even then, more clan than IS, ART is just not worthwhile.

#8 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:02 AM

I know people say Artemis is worthless on LRM5s. I've been using it off and on for my LRM5 mediums and it tends to be providing me with 20-30% more kills and damage than non Artemis launchers even when lacking LOS. It REALLY sharpens it up when you do have LOS and the bigger the launcher the better the effect.

#9 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:15 AM

Artemis will increase your lock but yes, on LRM5's its pretty pointless and actually the most efficient launchers are 10-15's for damage to rof/heat. TAG is the biggest increase in damage over everything. LRM5 with artemis is increasing the weight for a very little advantage and even with 10's is questionable, the weight can be better utilized making you mech more effective (more heatsinks, more ammo, more weapons, more armour, more speed)

#10 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:36 AM

View PostKodyn, on 28 September 2014 - 02:11 AM, said:

Not being super experienced myself, I did play a lot of LRMS my first 2 months of gameplay, and tried a lot of different styles, and ART almost never seemed worth it. Also, nearly every vet I've talked to has highly recommended BAP + TAG as far superior to ART in nearly any situation with LRMS. As someone else said, unless you're doing all LOS, LRM 5 stream stuff, and even then, more clan than IS, ART is just not worthwhile.

depends on your missle mass. anything above lrm 30 should use tag tbh, the density of the shots is worth it. It will significantly help to hit the CT way more often.

#11 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:40 AM

Any LRM mech that doesnt have its own TAG is a team liability and requires some sort of 'carrying' Its why I like the AWS-8R, tag in the head. It's why I hate the CPLT-A1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users