- - - - -

Actuators

11 replies to this topic

#1 OliverTwisted

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:49 PM

What are the pros and cons of adding and removing actuators?

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

Having them lets you swing your arms to the sides (assuming arm-lock is turned off) at the cost of 1 crit slot each actuator.

#3 TuntematonSika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 122 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPig with an identity crisis.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:04 AM

^^^^^^

Nothing more to it, that's the best answer.

#4 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:03 AM

You forget crit padding

#5 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:08 AM

And hand actuators? Do hand actuators do anything? I am not so sure with those.

#6 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:16 AM

Crit padding, nothing more. There was a post by Karl Berg somewhere (in the threadnaught in Off-Topic) that said the actuators in a mech are involved in the critical hit system, but as they're not modelled to actually take damage in a meaningful way, there is no downside to having them destroyed in a match.

Some of the hand actuators (looking at you, Stormcrow...) do extend the arm hitbox, though, so it can be a mixed blessing.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

Having the hand actuators (on Clan mechs) is claimed to add a little extra to your arm range. Seen nothing on this however.

Extending the arm hitboxes by having hand actuators makes it easier to use the arms to protect your body.
----
In Battletech campaigns (but not MWO), mechs that lack hand actuators would also lack the ability to collect salvage after a battle, thereby limiting additional potential income.

They also allow the use of various trinkets and melee weapons. My favorite thing to do is pick up an enemy's dismembered arm (from destroying a side torso; doesn't work if you destroyed the arm) and beat them with it.

They hold value in attempting to stand back up after you've been knocked down -- this is something PGI could potentially implement in the future. (Edit: The value is an increase success chance. In MWO this value would more likely be in 'how fast' you can get back up.)

Edited by Koniving, 27 September 2014 - 04:30 AM.

#8 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:24 AM

View PostKoniving, on 26 September 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

Having the hand actuators (on Clan mechs) is claimed to add a little extra to your arm range. Seen nothing on this however.

As far as I know, the only way to extend the range your arms can swing is to equip both lower arm actuators. Equipping just one will give you 10 degrees in both arms.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:32 AM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 27 September 2014 - 02:24 AM, said:

As far as I know, the only way to extend the range your arms can swing is to equip both lower arm actuators. Equipping just one will give you 10 degrees in both arms.

I know. It was the claim that (with both actuators as only having one is automatically locked at 10 degrees of movement) if you slapped on the hands you'd get even more movement (supposedly 5 degrees in each direction per hand). I haven't cared enough to test it since I almost always run hand actuators anyway to help protect my weapons and ammo.

#10 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:41 AM

View PostKoniving, on 27 September 2014 - 04:32 AM, said:

I know. It was the claim that (with both actuators as only having one is automatically locked at 10 degrees of movement) if you slapped on the hands you'd get even more movement (supposedly 5 degrees in each direction per hand). I haven't cared enough to test it since I almost always run hand actuators anyway to help protect my weapons and ammo.

Yeah, I heard that one too. Everything I've read says it's untrue. I just wanted to make sure it was said here explicitly, to avoid perpetuating misinformation :)

Edited by Arnold J Rimmer, 27 September 2014 - 04:41 AM.

#11 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:47 AM

View PostOliverTwisted, on 25 September 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

What are the pros and cons of adding and removing actuators?

Actuators actually make you accurately actualize the accurate and ascending potential of the arms of the arbitrary mech as you assault.

#12 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 27 September 2014 - 04:47 AM, said:

Actuators actually make you accurately actualize the accurate and ascending potential of the arms of the arbitrary mech as you assault.

mm.. mm.. i know some of these words.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users