Clan Lrm Impulse

3 replies to this topic

#1 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:45 AM

Not really a new player but this seems a good place to ask mechanic questions.

How does impulse work on Clan LRM's when you are within 180? IIRC The IS LRMs will simply bounce off your cockpit screen when you are within 180 and it doesn't shake you at all. Do Clan LRMs shake you? Is the Impulse reduced as the damage is reduced?

#2 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:05 AM

Clan LRMs have a linear damage drop-off below 180m like lasers and ballistics have beyond max range.

Simply but, they are less forgiving if you accidentally shoot within 150m range, but any closer and you'll quickly find yourself wasting ammo for practically no damage.

#3 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:04 AM

I was more interested in the Impulse. Is the Impulse mechanic directly tied to damage dealt? I suppose this question also applies to Ballistics when you hit someone outside the falloff range. Do you get the full cockpit shake just from hitting even if you hit for reduced damage?

#4 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 29 September 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

I was more interested in the Impulse. Is the Impulse mechanic directly tied to damage dealt? I suppose this question also applies to Ballistics when you hit someone outside the falloff range. Do you get the full cockpit shake just from hitting even if you hit for reduced damage?

Yes, impulse is directly related to damage-dealt.

The impulse values for weapons are a multiplier. To figure out how much impulse a weapon will actually do, you have to multiply the "impulse value" by the weapon's damage.

So, conceivably, Clan LRMs should have less impulse when fired at a target inside of 180meters. (Though, in practice, I don't know that this is actually the case, or if it just uses the weapon's "base damage" to make the impulse calculation.)

Edited by DEMAX51, 29 September 2014 - 10:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users