#81 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:36 PM

View PostTVMA Doc, on 01 October 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

Thanks for the useful info for clan/non-allied faction mechs.
;)

This can be true, although a light can help the team with more than just damage. Spotting and enemy distraction/disruption can turn a battle faster than a few hits with MLs, etc.

that can be done at lower speed as well, my raven does 130kph and i ran in between 2 dire wolves and a orion, legging the orion with his other leg cherry red. timing is everything and you can do some damage too. the least thing a team expects is a raven blasting 2 srm4's into them while facing their assaults or just stay in between them.

and i propably could not have done that in the middle of frozen city at 160 kph. close-turning ability is really bad at this speed and once you hit the building its over. so too much speed is bad the same way as not enough. if you can handle it, fine. if not (and that is far often the case) its worse than beeing too slow.

#82 Skull Leader2

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:48 PM

I think it depends on what I am going to use my light for. As a disclaimer I only run Firestarter and Jenner light mechs. I have the Locust but...that mech can kiss my @$$. Its worthless.

Anyways, I usually run top end engine when I want my primary mission to be anti-light killer. When lights are fighting speed is king. However, I often run my Jenner with a fast but less than max engine so I can fit a larger weapon like a LLAS or PPC for supporting other mechs. Although lower in speed (about 140 kph) by a couple degrees, I also gain double the range I can be effective. Its still faster than anything but a light mech though.

#83 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

IS lights are not too fast. Now, there are some bad pilots who have problems hitting them.

#84 N0MAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostZolaz, on 01 October 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

IS lights are not too fast. Now, there are some bad pilots who have problems hitting them.

Funny that, some of us can hit a target travelling at 400 to 700 kph from 800 to 1000m as it flashes across your screen (WT), yet we and 4-5 others firing at one light mech at 100m cant damage it (notice i said damage not hit).
Only reason Light mechs are to fast is because Hit detection and hit boxes on some lights is just BAD.
There are many good pilots that cant damage lights and it has nothing to do with bad aim or the mech being to fast..

#85 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:36 PM

View Postcdlord, on 29 September 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

When I build a Light mech, I install the max engine size first. This does force me to make some creative decisions on what weapons to carry, but in a Light, I consider speed to be paramount.

Who here sacrifices the max KPH for that extra half-ton or ton (or more) of weight for extra goodies?

I do the same with armor though I might shave a half-ton from my head depending on the mech (and if I feel the risk is worth it).

Not saying either way is right or wrong, I'm just curious. Discuss. :)

Only time I've ever sacrificed speed for firepower was for this RVN-3L. A bit more firepower than the JR7-D but with ECM, too. Got tired of the sniping game with Ravens, and when they finished putting dynamic hardopoints on the RVNs, suddenly that NARC launcher in the left arm isn't worthless. It's a pretty mean little mech, starts the game giving ECM to the friendly fatties and ends it backstabbing the enemy fatties when they close distance to brawl with yours. If the leg hitboxes for the Ravens weren't heinously broken (seriously, they're 50% wider than the visible leg) then it'd be my favourite light.

#86 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:08 PM

OP: I personally don't mind going under the coded engine cap.

My ember often uses an XL 280. Endo, 4xMG, 4xMLas maxJJ. Room left over for 2 tons Ammo and BAP (or AMS+ammo).

My spider 5d has an optional 2xERLLas build with 2JJs and an XL 200.

So hate me.
-.----

And, if you really love/hate lights, you will love/hate this thread about possible LRM evasion quirks.
http://mwomercs.com/...ad/page__st__20

#87 Col Jaime Wolf

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

lights are to slow i want 200kph+ plx

#88 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:42 PM

Yes they are. Nerf them to Clan light speeds :P

#89 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:22 PM

Being short on C-Bills most of the time from tinkering and wanting to get new mechs over min/maxing gear, I currently have a mish-mash of XL engines on my Lights.

Active Lights still grinding to Mastery:
FS9-E XL 240 (engine came from my COM-DK) I might swap it out for something better later, but it's worked out fine for now.
RVN-H STD 200 (I'm running this because it is so heat neutral with DHS and two SRM6s, and I was getting tired of dying to losing a Side Torso in this thing) And running at 101.8 KPH ain't bad for a mech that is basically heat neutral, that will just blast away until it goes boom anyway. And it's kinda fun to watch mechs walk by thinking I'm a gonner when a side goes POP!

Current mechs in Mechbay (now Mastered, so I haven't used them that much recently, so engines have been in some since before the Clans):
LCT-1V XL 190 (only as a hand-me-down from my Commandos)
COM-2D XL 170
COM-DK XL 180
JR7-D(S) XL 280 (the 280 came from another mech, maybe a CTF-3D or Firebrand, original XL 300 went elsewhere, maybe a Heavy)
SDR-5K XL 255 (I think it came from a STK-5S originally)

And something that I thought would be interesting is using original Engine rules on allowable ratings by Mech Weight and stock rating so we'd see something like this:

Posted Image

I assume that 178.8 KPH would not be allowed for MWO for a while, and I'm all for restricting what mechs get Speed Tweak.

For example, one way to restrict Speed Tweak is to limit it in cases that had fractal Hexs that got rounded up so that could see a mech that properly goes 48.6 KPH like an Atlas or Awesome could get up to 53.5 KPH (maybe even 54 KPH) if they mount their stock Engine as a quirk.

Edited by Praetor Knight, 01 October 2014 - 08:27 PM.

#90 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:27 PM

Are Clan lights too heavily armed? Or are they both pjust different approaches to a class?

Edited by CocoaJin, 01 October 2014 - 09:15 PM.

#91 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:01 PM

I think it depends on what's being compared, but I'm leaning towards different approach.

#92 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

View PostWolfways, on 29 September 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

I really don't. I've never seen it happen. What exactly is a meta DWF anyway?

Dual Gauss, dual PPC, plus or minus MLAS for flavour. 50 points of pinpoint, 10 splash. I despise them! To me, they are far, far more dangerous than DakkaWolves.

As for the intrepid OP's discussion, I don't think lights are too fast. While being truly one-shot is rare, it does happen. Boom Yagers, Dual Gauss Yagers, Illias, MetaWolves, or really anything that can mount large pinpoint ballistics is a problem.

To me, that's not the issue, though. IMHO, the problem is that pretty much any mech can effectively one shot you. Removing the armour from any location but the arms will effectively spell the end of any battlefield capering you had planned, while you cautiously try to prevent even grazing laser strikes from augering you in.

I've seen some very, very good light pilots playing the sneaky game, darting in and out of cover and picking pieces off their foes. LL ravens are a good example of this. Brawler and Striker lights, however, are an increasingly rarer sight on the battlefield, which I find sad. While it's still a rewarding playstyle, the advent of the Clans seems to have forced the IS to load for bear, as pinpoint is one of the biggest advantages available to the 'Sphere.

I get the feeling also, that once the Ferret drops, it will make a pretty darn lethal Light hunter, even moreso than the StreakTaro was. I both dread and anticipate it.

The IS lights NEED all the speed their little legs can muster to survive. ANECDOTAL time: I have no issues at all hitting any clan light with any weapon. I find them very easy meat. IS mechs moving at their speeds had better be packing a standard engine, or they are even more doomed.

#93 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:26 PM

Lights are too fast because there are very very few maps that give Lights the ability to hit and fade.
Combine that with Engine Size dictating Twist rates and speeds, turn rates and speeds, arm movement etc, and you have a game where all that matters is incredible speed, or incredible amounts of armor.

We need our maps to be more like Mining Collective, with tons of cover available, but open spaces where Lights don't want to go.
Less maps like Alpine where you can see clear across the map with zero cover but occasional mountain breaks.

The Kit Fox proves that an adequately armed, if not high speed Light can excel in situations where they can hit and fade.
River City, only in the areas with buildings suit Lights extremely well also. We just need more maps with regular cover, like rolling hills with channels a light can dip into to duck out of sight, boulders they can get around to lose a pursuer.

I would happily take a heavy hitting loadout on my Commando if we had maps as i outlined above, combined with Agility tuned to the CHASSIS not the Engine.

#94 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:47 AM

View Postaniviron, on 01 October 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

Only time I've ever sacrificed speed for firepower was for this RVN-3L. A bit more firepower than the JR7-D but with ECM, too. Got tired of the sniping game with Ravens, and when they finished putting dynamic hardopoints on the RVNs, suddenly that NARC launcher in the left arm isn't worthless. It's a pretty mean little mech, starts the game giving ECM to the friendly fatties and ends it backstabbing the enemy fatties when they close distance to brawl with yours. If the leg hitboxes for the Ravens weren't heinously broken (seriously, they're 50% wider than the visible leg) then it'd be my favourite light.

The hard point geometry update on the Raven has done wonders for the 3L at least.

I moved from 2ERLLasers to 3MLasers and 2 SRM4s+Art, and my KDR has jumped a full point. (1.3 to 2.3).

I play the Raven similar to you...
*ECM cover early
*Launch a UAV about a few min in when the enemy moves up and bunches up.
*Go ninja once the brawls start. I jump behind enemy assaults and start tearing apart rear armor.

It is now my most fun mech to pilot.

#95 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:10 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 01 October 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

Are Inner Sphere Lights Too Fast

I am almost sure I saw (after I got killed) TW going 87 KPH

so no

IS lights are not to fast I would say they are not fast enough

That wasn't the question, but ggclose.

View PostZolaz, on 01 October 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

That wasn't the question, but ggclose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users