That Headshaking, Facepalming Build.

691 replies to this topic

#1 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

Okay, rule number one of this thread, no naming players. Now, with that out of the way...

Edit: If you post an image, either crop out everything except for the targeted mech's profile, or black out the names in the photo. This is included under no name and shame.

I think most of us have fielded a pretty bad build at one point or another. Maybe it was a new mech and you thought it was XL-safe. Maybe it looked good on paper but performed terribly. Maybe you were new to MWO, and didn't knnow what kind of build would be good in the game. Maybe it was a joke build that would get even bridge trolls to question your sanity. Whatever the reason, we've all likely fielded a bad build, or have at least seen a terrible one that made us so many questions. I know I've fielded builds that people must've thought were terrible, and I'm not too ashamed to admit it because people mess up. That being said, lets point out some terrible builds that we've made ourselves or have seen. Not to try to be a smarter-than-thou jerk, just to make.

Here's one I saw earlier today that inspired me to make this thread.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4596020456ab6ad

I don't know the specifics, but it had to be fairly close to that. Yes, twenty tons of ammo for LRMs. I don't know if you could even get that out in a match with LRM60, let alone LRM20. To be fair, though, the person using it was clearly a new player, and if I could, I'd point them to some build threads.

And here's one of my own. I tried it out when I got my Phoenix Package.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5f021fa6887db6f

I imagine that after five minutes in it, the pilot has a nice, pink medium rare center. The PPCs paint your side torso as a bigger bullseye than it already was, and alongside an XL, you're telling anybody who can do basic math under pressure how to kill you. I think the most damage I got in a match with that was somewhere about 140. I really don't know what ever compelled me to think that it was a good idea, but looking back, I'm pretty sure I deserved all the jibes I got for running it.

So, anybody got their own terrible builds that they can look back at and laugh about?

Edited by MarsAtlas, 02 October 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#2 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:36 PM

once saw an atlas d-dc with no ECM and only 2 LRM-15's as weaponry (with no artemis)

#3 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

Saw a Timber Wolf once with two C-LRM-10, a C-UAC/5, and a C-ERLL. That was it. On a Timber Wolf.

I faced it down with a Timber Wolf myself, except mine had a C-Gauss and 7x C-ERML, and I was engaging it inside 200m for the most part. Guess who won?

As for my own past poopbuilds...tried a Shadow Hawk (SHD-2H) once with triple machine guns, two ASRM-6, and a medium laser. or some such. 350XL and all available jump jets, on the crazed assumption that a fast Shadow Hawk with accurate missiles and most of an Ember's/Spider's crit-cleaning MG array might be useful as a fast-strike harasser.

LULZNO.

Just...no.

If you're going to go Surmcruising in a medium, stick to Griffins or maybe even Centurions if you're feeling froggy, and put those high cannon mounts on the Shadow Hawk to proper use.

Edited by 1453 R, 29 September 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#4 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

NVA-S

Its my go to, saturday night troll build....I can only imagine the look at that mech pilots face when I get locked and he thinks "wtf...FOUR??"
To say it runs hot, its being generous to the word "hot" I die more than I finish alive...come to think of it..I dont think I've made it out alive yet in this build BUT, I can kill cripple maim or force a retreat with it.

Posted Image

#5 Nyuuu

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

This is still the most beautiful thing I have ever seen

Edited by Nyuuu, 29 September 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#6 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

^ well edited too.
I give it two articulated grasping devices up.

#7 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

Banshee 3E with 3xLPL and 4MGs. Not the worst build, but what a waste of ballistic slots.

#8 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostNyuuu, on 29 September 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

That was hilariously impractical!

#9 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:22 PM

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 29 September 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

That was hilariously impractical!

Not really. If he can reliably kill 3 assaults or heavies every game before self-destructing it would be a big advantage to his team. It would put them 2 mechs up in the battle. If you had 3 dwfs doing that, you could be in a 9 vs 3 game quite quickly.

#10 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:24 PM

I have a hangar FULL of builds that many people would probably yell at me for. (What can I say? I play for fun, not to be competitive!)
The one that comes to mind most prominently, however, is the age-old RVN-3L with a STD 260 Engine, stock TAG and Medium Lasers, as well as the BAP and ECM. 11 DHS and both ES and FF, with the armor maxed everywhere except the left arm.
Yes, that is right, a Raven 3L without XL. And without 2xERLL. :ph34r:

#11 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:21 PM

4 flamers on a jenner "It would be a good idea to circle behind them as they turn and make them overheat" it wasn't good. Well it worked until you overheat first...

#12 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:56 AM

RVN-4X

I ground out elite on Ravens just so I could have a 140KPH AC/20. I still haven't gone back to a less stupid build on this mech. I'm trying to stop caring about stats so I can run this mech more often.

#13 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

View Post1453 R, on 29 September 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

Saw a Timber Wolf once with two C-LRM-10, a C-UAC/5, and a C-ERLL. That was it. On a Timber Wolf.

I faced it down with a Timber Wolf myself, except mine had a C-Gauss and 7x C-ERML, and I was engaging it inside 200m for the most part. Guess who won?

As for my own past poopbuilds...tried a Shadow Hawk (SHD-2H) once with triple machine guns, two ASRM-6, and a medium laser. or some such. 350XL and all available jump jets, on the crazed assumption that a fast Shadow Hawk with accurate missiles and most of an Ember's/Spider's crit-cleaning MG array might be useful as a fast-strike harasser.

LULZNO.

Just...no.

If you're going to go Surmcruising in a medium, stick to Griffins or maybe even Centurions if you're feeling froggy, and put those high cannon mounts on the Shadow Hawk to proper use.

Except, I personally know two players who run streaks,x3 mgs and a large laser. Both regularly push 900+ a round with that build. It may not suit you-but it does work!

#14 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:13 AM

Is the WubShee a facepalming build? XL400 assault might qualify.

#15 PACoFist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationThe Eye Of Chaos

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:45 PM

Had a match recently, were the last 2 players in our team are a Kitfox and a Battlemaster. The Battlemaster was armed with two LRM15 and two MedLasers (and way too much LRM-Ammo). BLRs can carry twice that weapons.
I switched to spectate the Kitfox. And what do I see? The KFX is armed with two LRM15 and two MedLasers. Such a hilarious moment seeing a light and an assault mech carrying the same loadout. :D

#16 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:09 AM

I once beheld the emperor of the underhive. Here he is, immortalized.

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 04 August 2016 - 01:08 PM.
insult

#17 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:33 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 01 October 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

I once beheld the emperor of the underhive. Here he is, immortalized.

[Redacted]

reported

Edited by draiocht, 04 August 2016 - 01:07 PM.
Quote Clean-Up

#18 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:36 AM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 01 October 2014 - 12:33 AM, said:

reported

Reported for reporting.

#19 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:45 AM

VR, you forgot to blank out the player's names........

#20 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:32 AM

View PostNyuuu, on 29 September 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

that poor jager :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users