- - - - -

12K Mc, What To Buy?

27 replies to this topic

#1 18Rabbit

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationMuskogee, OK

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:30 PM

I'm a fairly new player, about 30 days in.

I own a Grid Iron and 3 Awesome chassis (8R, 9M and 8Q).

My 30 days premium time is almost up.

I've been thinking about getting the Assault Package (Mercy + 2 stalkers, 3 mech bays & 30 days premium) but I'm open to suggestions.

Should I get a light mech or heavy and play with those? What would you do with your 20/20 hindsight after playing for a month?

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

You'll want a hero mech of a chassis you like, Misery is a good place to start.

It helps to have mechs of all weight classes if you have the budget for it, but you won't need to buy them all with MC. Having a nice high damage hero is a great way to have a consistent c-bill income

#3 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

I'd just buy more premium time, 1 day at a time.

#4 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:00 PM

Stalker Mastery Pack isn't a bad way to spend it, although, for those Mech Bays, I think that they're not actually freely available MechBays, but rather the MechBays the mechs come in. Likewise, you see the Clan package at each tier? You get three mechbays, but they're immediately filled by those mechs.

I mostly spend MC on Premium Time and MechBays, and occasionally colours. If buy a permanently owned pattern would apply to more than just one chassis (pro-tip buying, say, the permanent 750 MC "Phraken" pattern for your Awesomes will only apply to your Awesomes, and you'd have to buy it again for your Stalkers) I would buy them. I never buy mechs with MC, but the Mastery Packs offer more than mechs, and they're at a pretty good value too.

View PostFlapdrol, on 29 September 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

I'd just buy more premium time, 1 day at a time.

Posted Image

Seriously, don't do that, bad idea. Personally, I do it one month at a time, seems like the best way of splitting it up for myself and my schedule.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 29 September 2014 - 01:01 PM.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

if you liked the Awesome I would suggest another assault or a heavy as the skills you have developed in the Awesome will not transfer well to a light or medium due to the completely different play style,

however if you want something completely different perhaps try the Firestarter trial Mech, if you like it they you could get the Firestarter pack

#6 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:31 PM

misery assault pack is very good imo.

#7 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

Firestarter Mastery Pack!!!

The Ember is the BEST light in the game hands down. Well worth the money. The FS9-H and S and K (i think) variants are also very good mechs.

Next MC mech i can suggest would be a Stormcrows (unless you wanna wait for Cbills) or the BlackJack Arrow, Both are GREAT mechs and since you already seem to run mediums woudl fit your stable.

#8 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

I'd like to agree with several other posters in that the mastery packs are a good deal. I'd also suggest a look into the Pretty Baby Hero mech as you already have some Awesome chassis. I like the Awesome, but it's large hit boxes can be an issue that cause some player to not like them.

#9 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

Personally I always say only spend MC on mech bays...but that's because I'm a F2P Grindhead.

#10 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

Ignore [E N E R G Y].

As other's have already noted the Misery/Stalker mastery pack is a pretty good buy. Alternately, I would suggest doing some reasearch on which hero mechs you'd be interested in trying and then waiting for the next sale.

As a general rule Mech bays are always a good investment, but stay away from anything that you can (or will soon be able to buy) with cbills. Personally the thing I've spent the most MC on besides Mech Bays is colors and camo-specs. There's just something particularly satisfying about stomping across the battle fields in a hot-pink brawler-atlas named "Cuddles".

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 29 September 2014 - 04:01 PM.
Cleaning up

#11 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 29 September 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

There's just something particularly satisfying about stomping across the battle fields in a hot-pink brawler-atlas named "Cuddles".

If Bioshock taught me anything, its that cutesy names like "Mr. Bubbles" don't preclude them from being able to whup your arse.

#12 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:37 PM

well, you said you have a grid iron, But did not mention, other HBK's.. You really should get two more to unlock elites.. I would recommend the 4SP, as that is really one of my favorite mechs. Not sure which to recommend for the last, lots of people like the 4P, but personally i don't.

The 4H might be worth trying, as 5 ML+ Ac-10 can be fun, But the 4G with a pair of machine guns and a large AC can be fairly unique, but it also plays most like the Grid iron. personally to start with, i like to try to get mechs that play a bit different from one another, when buying my 3. In the end i can always add a 4th if i am in love with the chasis.

I have recently tried the stalkers, and own a misery, and i can say they are fun mechs.. so hard to go wrong.. the Plus side of getting that, is you are spending a decent chunck of MC on a pack, So while you grind all 3 to master, you will be banking tons of money to buy modules, OR, to invest in your next set of mechs.

I never played an Awesome, so hard to say how different they are, But if you want to try something different, you might like heavies. I'm not sure what kinda heavy packs are around, But i really love the catapults, and thunder bolts, and cataphracts are great too, and the Ilya is one of the better Heroes around. (i could swear there is a catapult mastery pack, but if there is, no clue what it includes, so i would ask first before you made a choice) But as a hero, the jester is not my favorite. It is fun, but really it is just a laser boat, and lots of mechs can do that. As a heavy it will play different than the stalker, Or the awesome you are used to.

all that said... The stalker pack does sound like a nice one, It could be worth getting, and use those C-bills, to buy modules, and get your 2 other HBK's.. that might be your best bet with what you own already.. By the time you master your stalkers, and get your last 2 HBK's to master.. You will be SO much farther along on what you really love about the game.. So that could be your best bet.

BTW, where are mastery packs located in the store? I can't seem to find any :)

Edited by JC Daxion, 29 September 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#13 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

Yeah, adding to what's been said, if you want to stay with Assaults, then the Stalker pack is an excellent one to go with.

As for other classes, it can also depend on how you prefer playing, to provide advice that's immediately useful to you. So depending on preferences is where we can recommend what mechs to begin with in other classes.

And if your only Hunchback is the Grid Iron, I too recommend grinding out at least two more, to at least get the Grid Iron to Elite and/or Master.

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 29 September 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

BTW, where are mastery packs located in the store? I can't seem to find any :)

Under "Bundles"

#15 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

I would just buy more mechbays and perhaps 30 more days of premium(as needed). MC is precious I would not squander it on things that can be purchased for C-bills.

Earning money and leveling mechs IS the game right now. There is no tangible benefit from taking shortcuts.

#16 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,596 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:49 PM

View Post18Rabbit, on 29 September 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

I'm a fairly new player, about 30 days in.

I own a Grid Iron and 3 Awesome chassis (8R, 9M and 8Q).

My 30 days premium time is almost up.

I've been thinking about getting the Assault Package (Mercy + 2 stalkers, 3 mech bays & 30 days premium) but I'm open to suggestions.

Should I get a light mech or heavy and play with those? What would you do with your 20/20 hindsight after playing for a month?

The Misery is an exceptional killing machine, and you will not be sorry if you bought it. However, once you have a hero 'mech or two that you like, I've found the very best uses for MC are 'mech bays and GXP conversion - Premium time is also an excellent choice. Since you can get everything else from just playing the game, it's best to buy things you can't get from c-bills.

That being said, if you want to jump-start your c-bill account right away, don't buy the c-bill packages. It's far more efficient right now to buy certain Champion 'mechs and sell them back for c-bills, unless they changed the economy when I wasn't looking. Check this before you act on it, though - I haven't looked recently.

Finally, I recommend that you buy a chassis from every weight class in order to get a feel for them, and you'll want to buy two more Hunchbacks to get the most out of your Grid Iron - having all your skills unlocked is a huge boost to any 'Mech.

#17 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 29 September 2014 - 06:45 PM, said:

I would just buy more mechbays and perhaps 30 more days of premium(as needed). MC is precious I would not squander it on things that can be purchased for C-bills.

Earning money and leveling mechs IS the game right now. There is no tangible benefit from taking shortcuts.

well, yes and no..

It really has to do with how much time you have, and want to spend grinding.. If you are going to buy 3 stalkers with c-bills and outfit them, you need around 30m? That would take me a good month at the rate i play, perhaps more.. Buying a package can jump start that.. and now instead of spending a month earning 30m to buy 3 stalkers, i could get the package, play um and casually earn money to get 2 more hunchies set up, and then get a few weapon modules, and a mech module or 2 in that time..

It is a good way to kick-start your-self, and take some of the grind away while you just have fun.

that would give him 6 mechs to play over the next few months, instead of just grind/grind/grind.. It really all comes down to what the OP values his time as, and the 50 bucks he spent.. Besides i'll bet there is a MC sale coming on black friday again.. so if spending the MC now, increases his fun, i say go for it.. Now if the 50 bucks he spent, is the only money he can spend for the next 6 months +, then i'd say, your advice is more in line with what he should do ;)

Edited by JC Daxion, 29 September 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#18 18Rabbit

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationMuskogee, OK

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:21 AM

I am saving C-Bills to get the 4SP Hunchback again. I had 3 hunchbacks and level'd them to elite and then sold the non-hero chassis because I make poor choices.

Currently I'm leaning towards the Stalker Pack and some paint but I may hang on and see what the next special is also.

There are also "<weight class> starter kit" also which is where the Catapult (CPLT-A1(C)) is for the heavy for 4,150MC or the Atlas (AS7-RS(C)) for the assault for 5,200MC. They also include 30 days and some cockpit items but don't seem like quite as good of a deal.

Why is paint/camo so damn expensive?

#19 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

Seeing as you are broke I would recommend you go with that Stalker package. With premium running the (C) should have no problems getting 200,000 c-bills in most matches.

Just remember the Stalker is ultimately best with a 300 STD. I sold my first Stalker long ago in a mad rush to get the Atlas. Never do this, the Stalker is a top tier assault. I went back after I had my Atlas's 300 to put in it and realized how great it was.

Don't look for colors to be on sale anytime soon. Every single one was recently 50% off. Camo without colors is pointless so I would put that on the back burner. Noob green actually looks pretty good on her as well as basic red.

If you want to try mediums Shadow Hawks can do it all.

Edited by Spheroid, 30 September 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#20 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

You can keep it and wait for weekend sales of Hero mechs if you're patient.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users