#21 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:02 PM

No problem, that's what this area is for! ^_^

And if you're interested in trying out more of a hit and run style later on as you grind for XP, you can add more MPLs over using one UAC/5.

Here's an all MPL build. I'd run it with three weapon groups: one for each arm and a third for the torso. That way you can get more initial damage, and be able to keep firing one arm weapon group practically continuously as you monitor heat to sprinkle in the other weapon groups.

#22 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:01 PM

i do best with 6erml's and 4MG's set the lasers to fire in groups of 3. can alpha once and then eiher left or right mls. It consistently gets 500 damage and 3+kills (as long as the whole team doesnt get rolled, happens in PUGs) But i also run a 3erml and uac10 build and 2lpls and 4ml builds all do well.

Use it as a support or ambusher, since the weapons are in the arms can use them to peek around hills/corners and fire off 3 lasers before ducking back into cover. Never go toe to toe.

Remember those arms allow you to fire almost directly under you without exposing much of your mech and whatever you do fire and torso twist to spread any return fire. If you see incoming fire TWIST, its better to lose a little damage on the target than to get cored and since the Nova are big wide mechs it is easy to spread that damage across the arm and torso. Better to lose an arm (and some alpha strike) than to die. I end a lot of matches at 20% to 30% overall durability left, but still kicking and fighting

#23 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:20 PM

Here is something simple and keeps some firepower when you get disarmed:

NVA-PRIME

3 ER Large Lasers and 2 MGs. If you feel like you're not using the MGs too much you can drop them for DHS but I keep them there in case you lose the RT.

#24 On1m

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 30 September 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

stuff

And what is wrong with taking a mech just because you like it not based on how competitive it is? Get off your damn high horse and post something useful for a change.

Edited by Mal, 30 September 2014 - 07:51 PM.
redacted quoted moderated content

#25 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:46 PM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 30 September 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

stuff

What are you even talking about?

The OP is asking for help with the Nova, you aren't helping. Your philosophy is completely wrong, for the record.

You wanna pilot the 6 boring mechs that are tier 1, fine, go ahead. The rest of us are trying to have fun with other mechs, and vary our piloting skill set.

Either advise people on what they want, or don't bother talking about it.

The OP isn't asking if the Nova is a good or bad mech. The OP is asking what to do to improve in it. Either help, or get out of the way of those that are helping.

No, telling them to use another mech is NOT helping.

EDIT: and telling them it's a bad mech, without an other advice, is also NOT helping.

EDIT2: If the OP was asking about competitive mechs, or what mechs are competitive, I wouldn't question your opinion. However, that is not the topic at hand.

Edited by Mal, 30 September 2014 - 07:51 PM.
removed quoted moderated content

#26 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:50 PM

At this point guys - you just need to start reporting him.

They do, after all, ban people for actively trying to start fights.

I dunno about you - but wandering the New Player Help section telling people how horrible they are, and how bad their choices are, sure sounds like trying to start one
(or trying to chase off New Players seeking Help - which is another ban-able offense)
(though not necessarily that itself - so much as the way he does it, there are, after all, polite and inoffensive ways to say those things)

Edit: clarification

Edited by Shar Wolf, 30 September 2014 - 06:51 PM.

#27 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

View PostOn1m, on 30 September 2014 - 06:27 PM, said:

And what is wrong with taking a mech just because you like it not based on how competitive it is? Get off your damn high horse and post something useful for a change.

Because he asked what he was doing "wrong" and I merely stated the fact that the Nova isn't a tier 1 mech.

Stay on topic regarding the context of the thread.

#28 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 30 September 2014 - 06:52 PM, said:

Because he asked what he was doing "wrong" and I merely stated the fact that the Nova isn't a tier 1 mech.

Stay on topic regarding the context of the thread.

"Stay on topic regarding the context of the thread."

That's what I have to say to you. Seriously, pay attention to what the topic is.

Anyways, further discussion of this issue is going to just derail the thread.

Either take it to PMs, or start posting something relevant.

The last part goes to all parties involved, myself included.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 30 September 2014 - 06:55 PM.

#29 Time Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

Necessary troll post: WAR - WHY CAN'T WE BE FRIENDS: http://youtu.be/5DmYLrxR0Y8

#30 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:59 PM

On that note - the best loadout I have found for my NVA-Prime has been to simply rip 2 lasers out of each arm, and replace them with extra DHS. :mellow:

Loss of firepower - for sure, but better efficiency.
Usually follow a Dire Whale for good measure, or another Assault (Banshee, Stalker, or Atlas by preference)
But that last bit goes for just about any Medium :P

View PostE N E R G Y, on 30 September 2014 - 06:56 PM, said:

stuff

Reported.

Edited by Mal, 30 September 2014 - 07:52 PM.
Edited out inflammatory content

#31 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 30 September 2014 - 06:56 PM, said:

stuff

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG WITH MY NOVA ?

That is the title of the topic. The OP even clearly states that he needs help piloting it correctly. The OP isn't asking "why the Nova sucks", no, they are asking "what am I doing wrong?". Help them with that. No one cares if you're competitive or not, when discussing something outside the competitive environment.

Posts that help the OP achieve their goal of being proficient with the Nova are helpful posts. Posts that say "pilot another mech", on the other hand, don't help with the problem at hand.

As for steering players towards tier 1 mechs over other tiers, that is it's own debate that can be discussed thoroughly in another topic, with the pros and cons for both sides.

EDIT: Also, being competitive doesn't preclude you from being banned on the forums. Or in game, if you violate the CoC.

EDIT2: Back on topic - Try to always wolfpack, and remember that your weapons are very low mounted, so zooming in will blind you from your actual firing points. Getting another medium to shadow an assault with you (or run a lance with loads of mediums, and lights), can allow you to really shine.

Edited by Mal, 30 September 2014 - 07:53 PM.
Removed quoted moderated content

#32 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:04 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 30 September 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

no, they are asking "what am I doing wrong?". Help them with that.

Of COURSE he is!

What they are doing wrong is piloting a Nova in the first place!

He TOLD him that!

Didn't you read ANY of his posts? :rolleyes:

#33 Time Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:07 PM

Oy people, I pretty much hate the so-called "meta" so I cant wholeheartedly agree with E N E R G Y, but these fights (seen on multiple threads now) ain't exactly endearing me either. Weapons by themself don't automatically make a mech OP. Its a combination of pilots skill, weaponry, and use of tactics. I like ya'll, but the e-peen waving needs to stop because its going WAY off the topic of this thread.

Edited by Time Bandit, 30 September 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#34 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

This is a thread in the "New Player Help" forum. Posting telling a player that they are "wrong" for wanting help playing a 'Mech that you feel is "bad" is not helpful. Either constructively participate in the thread, or...don't participate in the thread at all. Let's ALL try and actually... HELP the new players (or, the older players asking questions about new chassis).

Not everyone wants to play the min/max meta game.

I've cleaned up several posts in this thread that don't contribute to the topic. If there are continued attempts to derail this thread with unconstructive comments, those posters will be dealt with individually.

Posted Image

#35 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:56 PM

On that note -and since the OP will probably come across this one on his way toward mastering his Prime...

Anyone have any ideas for making (relatively) good use of the NVA-B's stock pods?

#36 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:29 PM

Going stock Pods on the B, I'd take a look at this build.

#37 AzureDragoon

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:40 AM

With the Nova Prime, I can not stress this enough: If you want combat endurance on one, split your weapons into 4/4/4 weapon groups (Group 1: 4 Left arm, Group 2:: 4 Right arm. Group 3: remaining 4 lasers). The 6/6 1-2 punch might put out a lot of hurt in a short few seconds, but it also means you only get 2 shots off, then spend 10+ seconds cooling off, and means you can't react as well to changing battlefield conditions (Read: you can't harass/poke as much)

The trick with the Nova, is that you're going to want to stick with a group on your team, let the Assaults, Heavies engage (or Lights that are Speed Tanking/Kiting) first, then start helping them out.with support fire. You may want to just stick to firing groups 1 and 2 at first (this will get you at least 3, possibly 4 burst without over heating). Once you see armor being destroyed on sections, then unleash Group 3 and go for the component destruction/kill

Remember with Lasers and Heat Scaling/Ghost Heat, the timer begins from the moment the lasers begin firing, So you can fire off your 2nd, then 3rd groups after 0.5 seconds of the previous burst.

Edited by AzureDragoon, 01 October 2014 - 01:40 AM.

#38 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:15 AM

I ran my Nova with 1 LPL and 4 er mediums and it worked and was not hot as hell.

#39 Uncleclint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 200 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:25 AM

I got the same config (1LPL and 4 er med) on my nva-prime, maxed the armor, got a targeting comp 1 and stuffed the rest full with heatsinks. I split the weapons into 3 firing groups and am shooting only single fire. The arm mounted er med lasers are perfect for aimed shots and the Lpl has the same firing duration so i can more or less synchronize my fire - and that mech works perfectly for me, in fact it was the very first medium mech that i fell in love with (and am more or less able to play the way it should be played).
Anyways, no heat problems with this mech as long as you´re not bathing in the lava pits of mordor terra therma. I´d recommend using a lv5 weapon range mod on the er meds. Most people say they´d be useless but the lasers feel a little more clan-ish with the greater range.

#40 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:31 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 30 September 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

On that note - the best loadout I have found for my NVA-Prime has been to simply rip 2 lasers out of each arm, and replace them with extra DHS. :mellow:

Loss of firepower - for sure, but better efficiency.
Usually follow a Dire Whale for good measure, or another Assault (Banshee, Stalker, or Atlas by preference)
But that last bit goes for just about any Medium :P

That is what I run on my prime.
10x ML
20x DHS

Always shadow an Assault or Heavy (especially Jager, Cataphart or Twolf), most people will go for them instead of the Nova standing next to it.
Take the time to aim at the component the bigger mechs have weaken with their ballistics and burn it away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users