Note To Light Mech Pilots...don't Run Between A Direwolf And The Target He Is Firing At!

130 replies to this topic

#21 HashtagComStarWasRight

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

View PostMoonlander, on 29 September 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

Tunnel vision because I'm zoomed in and I can't see the mech right under me? Have you ever used the Zoom feature? Oh, you watch your map instead of the target you're zoomed in on? Sounds legit.

Yep, tunnel vision. Work on your situational awareness, don't shoot blues.

#22 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

Keep firing, shoot through them, and shake your head at their lack of comprehension. The only way they'll learn is to eventually figure out on their own why they keep dying. It will take a while, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of fifty to seventy deaths. Then they may come to understand that running in front of the heaviest weapons loadout in the game may be a bad idea.

But don't hold your breath.

#23 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:31 PM

View PostHashtagComStarWasRight, on 29 September 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

Yep, tunnel vision. Work on your situational awareness, don't shoot blues.

You're obviously trolling or lack reading comprehension. It's ok, I forgive you.

#24 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:34 PM

When a "friendly" walks in between me and target in my dire wolf, I don't back off the trigger.

I play to kill mechs. If you're walking in front of me while I'm firing at a red triangle and you die, it's all the same glorious slaughter to me.

Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne.

#25 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:54 PM

if you walk in front of me, and i'm in my direwolf, keep in mind the daishi fires trains and that you may get hit by one for standing on the tracks. I only hold fire for people in teamspeak with me, otherwise 50% of an alpha is better than no alpha.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 29 September 2014 - 09:55 PM.

#26 HashtagComStarWasRight

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:58 PM

View PostTraining Instructor, on 29 September 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

When a "friendly" walks in between me and target in my dire wolf, I don't back off the trigger.

I play to kill mechs. If you're walking in front of me while I'm firing at a red triangle and you die, it's all the same glorious slaughter to me.

Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne.

So many people advocating team killing in here, it's kind of depressing.

#27 FogOfW4r

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationLost in space.

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:06 PM

As a light pilot, I try my best never to run in front of any friendly when there is even 1 enemy on the map ahead of us. Though sometimes I gotta run so I try to jump over the heavies.

I feel that the moment I'm in a light, I am responsible for any and all friendly damage taken, even if it wasn't my fault. It makes taking damage more of an "whoops my bad" thing rather than "OMG I REPORT U" thing.

Iv'e been tk'd 2 times so far I believe and I take full responsibility for them.

#28 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:41 PM

View Posthercules1981, on 29 September 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

I personally don't think u would get a ban just because of team kills. Tunnel vision happens and it gets worst if u r zoomed in, the devs would see this if they had to look back. 2 be honest I think anyone who steps in front of anyone firing deserves what ever it is that happens. Mistakes r sometimes how people learn those who get TKed from something like this will think twice if the situation presents itself again.

Man I accidentally killed a guy zoomed in and in thermal mode the othe rnight...instagib from the back with dual ppc/gauss...felt bad.

#29 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:47 PM

View PostHashtagComStarWasRight, on 29 September 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

So many people advocating team killing in here, it's kind of depressing.

They crossed the streams, except this time Gozer was not vanquished, they were.

#30 Kavoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:56 PM

View PostHashtagComStarWasRight, on 29 September 2014 - 07:51 PM, said:

Note to Dire Wolf pilots... If someone else runs in front of you you need to stop firing/slew your lasers away so you don't kill your own teammates.

Meanwhile, 99% of people complaining about FF run across the line of fire at mach 5 WHILE lasers are discharging and end up eating the gauss I had just finished charging up and releasing. Luckily when running in front of clan ACs you don't take the full 5-40 damage into the same spot, but it makes it even more obvious to spot.

Lots of people cut in front of me during a firefight and I have yet to this day to actually kill someone with FF during a firefight, but its always a tragic loss of time, armor, and sometimes life when a mech that can run 89pkh decides to stroll in and stop dead in the way, expecting a 53 kph oil tanker to maneuver out and around while they perch there like a gargoyle.

#31 HashtagComStarWasRight

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:15 PM

View PostKavoh, on 29 September 2014 - 10:56 PM, said:

Lots of people cut in front of me during a firefight and I have yet to this day to actually kill someone with FF during a firefight, but its always a tragic loss of time, armor, and sometimes life when a mech that can run 89pkh decides to stroll in and stop dead in the way, expecting a 53 kph oil tanker to maneuver out and around while they perch there like a gargoyle.

One guy bing a jerk (cutting in front of you) doesn't warrant you also being a jerk (shooting him in the back) though. If he's cutting off your firing lanes then he's taking responsibility for the target's return fire, now isn't he?

We can talk about whether getting in front of other people is a jerk move or not, but that's a seperate issue than whether or not you should keep firing when somebody does it. If you fire your guns you are responsible for where the ordnance goes. If you shoot teammates in the back you are responsible for it, not them.

#32 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:27 PM

Also the speed lights run at you can quite easily pause your fire for half a second.

Those of you sitting in your 100T mech, remember how much armour you have, the light might have to circle themech at full speed to stay alive. As someone who is pretty damn good in lights. I generally go for not the primary target however, I generally like to think a decent player can pause 1/4 second to not hit me and have a mini cooldown. It's not a big drama, I manage it easy enough when im in assaults. The odds are In my Ember I put out 2x the dmg most of you assaults do and its generally more efficient placement.

So remember, just because your trigger control is crap and you have poop situational awareness, dont blame other people.
Not to forget sometimes other players have even worse situational awareness than you and can walk in front of you, anticipate it and accept it, theyre taking the enemies fire, not you and you never know what they might be running from so use a little common sense and compassion.

I'd rather the light mech be fighting and distracting the big mechs than wasting his time on light mechs so at least theyre contributing rather than hiding miles back in a raven 3L midly annoying the enemy and not actually being effective or taking any of the enemies fire. That light running round will attract attention, take some of the fire off you and also heat the enemy mechs up meaning less overall fire in your direction. Pro's and Con;s!

#33 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:34 PM

Why should I stop shooting so some Jenner/Firestarter can buzz around? Most of the lights have jumpjets, meaning they can jump over the firing lane if they choose to.

#34 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:48 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 29 September 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

I have had two accidently team kills in two nights now due to idiot light pilots who somehow think it is a good idea to try to rush in between my Direwolf and my target so they can try to get the kill. I don't think I have had two TKs in this game since closed beta but ever since I started piloting a Direwolf it seems like every idiot thinks it is a good idea to try to step in front of me and snatch the kill.

DON'T FRICKEN DO IT!!!

Seriously it doesn't take a genius to figure out that you don't run in front of a Direwolf when he is lining up on a target. Between double tapping UACs, long ass burn times on Clan Laser and the general sluggishness of movement of the Direwolf I an guarantee you I am not going to be able to react fast enough to check my fire in order to not totally vaporize you and I am going to be royally pissed if I get a ban due to your stupidity.

Rant off.

I'm of two minds on this.

On one hand, an Assault can afford to stop firing for a second or two to let a light pass. A light can't afford to stop moving, and sometimes evasion paths take them into friendly firing lines. This all hinges on situational awareness, however.

On the other hand, far too many players either don't understand arcs of fire, or ignore them completely. You ALWAYS move behind where another player is facing. Always. It doesn't matter what class or speed your mech is. If there's a stationary player, and you stroll in front of them because your blood is up, and the drums of battle are pounding in your ears, then the blame for any FF incidents can be laid far more at your feet than the poor sap with the established fire position.

#35 Golden Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:50 PM

It's hard to stop the stream once the AC train has left the station. AND WHO WALKS INTO A SOLID BLUE LINE?!!?

Also, if your entire team has drawn a bead on the enemy mech you are circling, time to get the hell out of the way. Combined fire from 5 heavy mechs will take it out faster than you with your machine guns and small lasers that you can't be bothered to aim with.

Light makes are supposed to find the enemy so their big brothers can do the killing, when the heavies show up, just get out of the way.

Edited by Golden Vulf, 29 September 2014 - 11:53 PM.

#36 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:57 PM

i see no one has boothered to bring up the dire-tard pilots who still havn't figure out that their arms are a lot wider than their cockpit

#37 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:20 AM

View PostFatYak, on 29 September 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

i see no one has boothered to bring up the dire-tard pilots who still havn't figure out that their arms are a lot wider than their cockpit

Not to mention, the spider who sits right in front of them, completely out of light of sight, regardless of level of zoom you have, if any at all. I guess we're supposed to turn on 3PV when we're ready to engage the enemy each time.

#38 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:21 AM

View PostGolden Vulf, on 29 September 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

Light makes are supposed to find the enemy so their big brothers can do the killing, when the heavies show up, just get out of the way.

Actually, Hate to burst your bubble, but their primary job for any decent teams is not only recce but killing the rear support mechs and taking the fire off the assualts pushing in the front. Without decent light pilots running around the area, your going to be taking a LOT more fire. So when they do cut in front of you firing lines. Cut them a break, theyre pretty busy ;)
Oh, and once again, Odd's are im dealing a lot more dmg in my Ember than most the people on my team usually. Not to mention a high amount of kills and I dont need to kill steal, If my team has made my target primary, I move on.

Admitedly there are light mechs who cut in front just to get that final blow and if they do get hit just trying to do that, then they deserve it. Hugging a mech just to get the final shot deserves a few rear ct hits :P

As a note whilst playing on TS, if I have to cut infront of people I try to mention it before hand if I have time, and if a teammate does stroke me with some of his weapons they normally apologise of which I reply sorry had to cut through your fire. So it does happen, just try and be cautious and limit the dmg, I dont mind running thorugh a laser beam as its going to be neglible damage

Edited by Arn0ldSchwarzenegger, 30 September 2014 - 12:26 AM.

#39 Mr E Figure

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:44 AM

First off, I have to agree w/ the OP on this particular subject. In most other mechs, avoiding FF is fairly easy. I find that the DWs slow torso twist makes this considerably more difficult, especially with lasers.

The problem isn't just with lasers though. Prime example was today, firing at a fleeing Cicada. Somebody in a Firestarter steps in front of me and takes the left hand gauss round into his right torso(the other round hit, btw). He gets pissed off, backs up and shoots me. I get pissed off, look at him and say "Want some?".

He starts a smart $%# response, so I cored him. I move on, and somebody not even involved in the incident decides to be an hero and empties into my rear CT while I'm going at it with the enemy. Needless to say, we lost. The extreme irony in all this, is that if he had waited long about a second he would have received an apology.

I think I find this particularly annoying because I happen to pilot lights and mediums quite frequently as well, and for some reason I don't have problems being shot by DWs. I think it probably has to do with the fact that I try to stay out of their line of fire. On rare occasions, I do get hit by FF from heavies/assaults, and most of the time it's my own fault. I accept it and move on.

View PostHashtagComStarWasRight, on 29 September 2014 - 11:15 PM, said:

One guy bing a jerk (cutting in front of you) doesn't warrant you also being a jerk (shooting him in the back) though. If he's cutting off your firing lanes then he's taking responsibility for the target's return fire, now isn't he?

We can talk about whether getting in front of other people is a jerk move or not, but that's a separate issue than whether or not you should keep firing when somebody does it. If you fire your guns you are responsible for where the ordnance goes. If you shoot teammates in the back you are responsible for it, not them.

It most certainly is justified*. Let's go through the reasons why:

First, Murphy's Law number 28, "Incoming fire has the right of way". It doesn't matter where the fire is coming from, if you get hit by it, it's your problem. If you get hit by it, you weren't taking proper precautions to avoid being hit by it, regardless of where it came from.

Point number two, Newton's Second Law of Motion states, "F=MA The vector sum of the forces F on an object is equal to the mass M of that object multiplied by the acceleration vector A of the object." Meaning that for two objects of differing mass at a given velocity, the heavier of the two objects will have more force. What this means is, heavier has the right of way. An anecdotal note; a friendly in a Kitfox tried to give my Direwolf a "Hug" today(I am not making this up), and died when he ran into me.

Point number three, as I have already alluded, is that it is easier to avoid being hit by friendly fire(and enemy fire for that matter) in a light than it is to do anything in an assault mech.

Point number four, and here is where things get controversial, is that MWO is a form of combat simulation. The goal in combat of any form is to neutralize any present threat. Note that there is no requirement for malice on the part of the threat. If a "teammate" is a threat, regardless of intention, they need to be neutralized. In anticipation of the backlash resulting from this statement, let us first consider the following:
1.) According to Wikipedia, "Stupidity is a lack of intelligence, understanding, reason, wit or sense." Stepping into the line of fire is generally a strong indicator of a lack of reason, wit, or sense.
2.) According to Carlo Maria Cipolla's The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity, law the third, "A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and possibly incurring losses."
A.) The individuals being discussed in this thread, or at least their actions, could easily be considered to be causing losses to others:
I.) The damage they absorb is not being done to the enemy for whom it was intended.
II.) If the teammate attempting to damage the enemy manages to avoid doing damage to their interloping teammate, they have still had their damage output against a given enemy reduced.
III.) The enemy, having sustained less damage, has their survival time increased. As a result of the enemies increased survival time, friendly units sustain more damage.
3.) According to Carlo Maria Cipolla's The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity, law the fourth, "Non-stupid people always underestimate the damaging power of stupid individuals..."
4.) According to Carlo Maria Cipolla's The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity, law the fifth, "A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person."
5.) "threat" may be defined as, "A person or thing likely to cause damage or danger"

Therefore, any person who has intercepted "friendly" fire on behalf of the enemy should be considered a threat, and as such should be neutralized with extreme prejudice.

All that said, most of us, being civilized human beings, not wont to cause harm to our fellows, are content to apologize for the incident and continue about our destructive business. What I find disturbing though, is the attitude adopted by many on the receiving end, that the incident was intentional. Most of the time, speaking from my own experience(both firing and being fired upon), this is not the case. We all do stupid things from time to time,

This is MWO, it is not internet spaceships, and it is not serious business(this is a sort of joke). My advice, which I strive to adhere to myself, is not to make a mountain out of a molehill, and having made a mistake, do not prove yourself a fool by trying to go toe to toe with a Direwolf in a light mech.
*I should also note that I am not talking about situations where the receiving party did not move into a line of fire(I have literally spectated a Jagermech pilot as they put three volleys into a teammate that was not moving simply because they did not clear[move past] their teammate before commencing fire, and were not paying attention).

#40 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:53 AM

Dire Whales need to learn to check their fire too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users