Note To Light Mech Pilots...don't Run Between A Direwolf And The Target He Is Firing At!

130 replies to this topic

#1 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:54 PM

I have had two accidently team kills in two nights now due to idiot light pilots who somehow think it is a good idea to try to rush in between my Direwolf and my target so they can try to get the kill. I don't think I have had two TKs in this game since closed beta but ever since I started piloting a Direwolf it seems like every idiot thinks it is a good idea to try to step in front of me and snatch the kill.

DON'T FRICKEN DO IT!!!

Seriously it doesn't take a genius to figure out that you don't run in front of a Direwolf when he is lining up on a target. Between double tapping UACs, long ass burn times on Clan Laser and the general sluggishness of movement of the Direwolf I an guarantee you I am not going to be able to react fast enough to check my fire in order to not totally vaporize you and I am going to be royally pissed if I get a ban due to your stupidity.

Rant off.

#2 Whaler

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 84 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:04 PM

Those same pilots are probably the ones crying for clan nerfs.

#3 hercules1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

I personally don't think u would get a ban just because of team kills. Tunnel vision happens and it gets worst if u r zoomed in, the devs would see this if they had to look back. 2 be honest I think anyone who steps in front of anyone firing deserves what ever it is that happens. Mistakes r sometimes how people learn those who get TKed from something like this will think twice if the situation presents itself again.

Edited by hercules1981, 29 September 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#4 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

As light pilot, what I hate is being behind a Direwolf shooting into its back and getting shot by the people in front. At least I am fast enough to run away from the arty when I see the smoke at the DW's feet.

#5 Mothykins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:35 PM

Piloting a locust, I am peeking around a corner. I see a 'Phract. Begin backing away, only to find that a friendly Timby has come up behind me. As I am small, and he is panicy, he finds he's "stuck" on something (He can't see me) and Fires His Gauss to try and scare away the enemy Mech.

I die from a rifle round through the left torso. This is not an isolated event. I also, In almost any 'mech, get shot by team-mates if I'm within 200M of an opponent.

You Heavy and assault players should mind your firing lanes and what's around you.

That said, Piloting a Stalker, I find everyone and their dog will walk right in front of you. Narrow passage? PILE IN FRONT OF THE STALKER. OH ****, ENEMY! BACK UP INTO THE STALKER! MAKE SURE YOU'RE RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. MAKE SURE HE CAN'T FIRE.

#6 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

Funny enough in my kit fox, most of the time. Dire Wolves and other assault mechs can shoot right over my head

#7 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:16 PM

I've mistakenly walked/ran into the fire of my team's weapons and admitted it was my fault. Then there were times when I'm encircling the enemy or getting encircled by the enemy and my team is just shooting at their target while ignoring my being there so I'm taking both friendly and enemy fire.. Missiles are fine 'cause they can't be helped.. ballistics and lasers on the other hand..

Everyone in the team regardless of their weight class should be mindful of the fact that their team, unless they're using 3rd person view, cannot see behind them and if you're ontop of their ass, the mini map doesn't show enough detail to reveal your team standing on your heels and they need to throw their 'mech in reverse to escape damage/death.. chances are you're going to have one unhappy team member.

View PostCavale, on 29 September 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

Piloting a locust, I am peeking around a corner. I see a 'Phract. Begin backing away, only to find that a friendly Timby has come up behind me. As I am small, and he is panicy, he finds he's "stuck" on something (He can't see me) and Fires His Gauss to try and scare away the enemy Mech.

That said, Piloting a Stalker, I find everyone and their dog will walk right in front of you. Narrow passage? PILE IN FRONT OF THE STALKER. OH ****, ENEMY! BACK UP INTO THE STALKER! MAKE SURE YOU'RE RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. MAKE SURE HE CAN'T FIRE.

Edited by RazorbeastFXK3, 29 September 2014 - 07:19 PM.

#8 Mothykins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

View PostRazorbeastFXK3, on 29 September 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

Everyone in the team regardless of their weight class should be mindful of the fact that, unless they're using 3rd person view, cannot see behind them and if you're ontop of their ass and they need to throw their 'mech in reverse to escape damage/death.. chances are you're going to have one unhappy team member.

Exactly. The thing is, When I'm in the Stalker, it moves so slowly that If a light jams it into reverse when I'm 100-200m out, he still backs into me, and is still blocking my firing lane, and there isn't much I can do about it. If they cut in front of you, give them room to maneuver.

If they where already in front of you, don't ride on their butt. Nothing sucks more than being in a light, seeing an dual whatever Jager, and the friendly Direwhale using you as a shield because he's decided to run right into your backside. Or shooting through you.

Generally, if all you can see if the backside of a friendly 'mech, you're pretty useless in a fight anyways, so don't be there.

#9 HashtagComStarWasRight

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:51 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 29 September 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

I have had two accidently team kills in two nights now due to idiot light pilots who somehow think it is a good idea to try to rush in between my Direwolf and my target so they can try to get the kill. I don't think I have had two TKs in this game since closed beta but ever since I started piloting a Direwolf it seems like every idiot thinks it is a good idea to try to step in front of me and snatch the kill.

DON'T FRICKEN DO IT!!!

Seriously it doesn't take a genius to figure out that you don't run in front of a Direwolf when he is lining up on a target. Between double tapping UACs, long ass burn times on Clan Laser and the general sluggishness of movement of the Direwolf I an guarantee you I am not going to be able to react fast enough to check my fire in order to not totally vaporize you and I am going to be royally pissed if I get a ban due to your stupidity.

Rant off.

Note to Dire Wolf pilots... If someone else runs in front of you you need to stop firing/slew your lasers away so you don't kill your own teammates.

#10 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:56 PM

View Posthercules1981, on 29 September 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

I personally don't think u would get a ban just because of team kills. Tunnel vision happens and it gets worst if u r zoomed in, the devs would see this if they had to look back. 2 be honest I think anyone who steps in front of anyone firing deserves what ever it is that happens. Mistakes r sometimes how people learn those who get TKed from something like this will think twice if the situation presents itself again.

My concern is the frequency. 2 accidental team kills in a 10 match period is alot especially when it isn't a person monitoring what is happening but rather a computer with some mathematical formula that flags you if certain conditions are met. I mean what if the next time I log on, another locust runs into my line of fire and all of a sudden the computer decides I am a chronic TKer?

Anyway, never had this issue until I started playing Dires but my friendly fire incidents have went way up in this mech and it is disturbing, especially because it is always some dumb arse trying to elbow you out of the way to grab the kill off some mech you have pretty much completely stripped of armor. Frustrating is all I can say.

#11 HashtagComStarWasRight

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:01 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 29 September 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

My concern is the frequency. 2 accidental team kills in a 10 match period is alot especially when it isn't a person monitoring what is happening but rather a computer with some mathematical formula that flags you if certain conditions are met. I mean what if the next time I log on, another locust runs into my line of fire and all of a sudden the computer decides I am a chronic TKer?

Learn to be more careful and aware of your firing lane.

It is possible to stop firing when someone gets in front of you, I play with people every day who manage to do this.

Anyway, never had this issue until I started playing Dires but my friendly fire incidents have went way up in this mech and it is disturbing, especially because it is always some dumb arse trying to elbow you out of the way to grab the kill off some mech you have pretty much completely stripped of armor. Frustrating is all I can say.

The bolded part is pretty telling. You have an obvious bias here and need to accept that it doesn't matter wh gets the killing shot. The only thing that matters is that the guy on the other team was taken out.

Edited by HashtagComStarWasRight, 29 September 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#12 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:08 PM

View PostHashtagComStarWasRight, on 29 September 2014 - 07:51 PM, said:

Note to Dire Wolf pilots... If someone else runs in front of you you need to stop firing/slew your lasers away so you don't kill your own teammates.

You didn't read apparently. I specifically point out why it is very difficult to do that. In the circumstance that caused me to post this in the first place, a Nova had exposed his back torso to me from about 100m away so I obviously unloaded on him with everything I had. I started cranking my fire button for my Dual UAC/10s and just held down on the buttons for my 3 C-ER ML and 2 C-LPL looking to finish him off quickly. Then some idiot in Spider comes running out from between two buildings on my left and tries to swoop in and finish off the rear CT on the Nova and walks right into my line of fire with his back toward me. Before I even realize he is there, I get the TK message. All I had time to do was register that a Spider had moved right directly into my line of fire and stopped to try to kill the Nova just as all my lasers had finished cooldown and fired mixing in with the constant stream of UAC fire. What pissed me off even more was he absorbed just enough of my fire before bursting like a ripe watermelon, that someone else got the kill on the Nova.

Anyway, I don't like TKs. It is bad enough when I screw up and mis-target an enemy or something but it is just massively frustrating when it is their own stupidity that is costing me credits and Xp, not to mention making me show up on the terrorist watchlist as a potential TKer/Griefer.

#13 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:13 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 29 September 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

ever since I started piloting a Direwolf it seems like every idiot thinks it is a good idea to try to step in front of me and snatch the kill.

I love it when they turn around as if to say "why did you shoot me?" DERP.

It is always a problem, but seems to be prolific with DW given their slow nature. You can turn your weapons away though, although there can be some unfortunate gauss misfires..

Although I was not in a DW (was in a MDD), I had one match last night where I went to alpha an atlas with srm in the little alcove on river cties citadel - you know what happened? Six mech tried also to run in, obviously in orgasm to get a kill for their pointless kdr score.

So, when the atlas turned to face me, I could not retreat. I was subsequently killed by the atlas firing his salvo of streaks and AC20, combined with all the team fire from behind.

Some players just lack spatial awareness and common sense..

Edited by White Bear 84, 29 September 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#14 HashtagComStarWasRight

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 29 September 2014 - 08:08 PM, said:

You didn't read apparently. I specifically point out why it is very difficult to do that.

Difficult for you, maybe. But apparently not difficult for the multiple Dire Wolf pilots I drop with daily.

Like I said, you need to ork on your situational awareness and knowledge of your firing lanes. You should have noticed the Spider coming (even if he was obscured by buildings you can note his direction and speed on the radar/minimap) and have already been ready to stop firing if he crossed your lane.

Don't try to make it about the Spider pilot.

e: Was it you that started a similar thread the other day? I feel like this is the second 'grr people walk in front of me' DW thread I've read recently.

Edited by HashtagComStarWasRight, 29 September 2014 - 08:18 PM.

#15 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:18 PM

View PostHashtagComStarWasRight, on 29 September 2014 - 08:01 PM, said:

The bolded part is pretty telling. You have an obvious bias here and need to accept that it doesn't matter wh gets the killing shot. The only thing that matters is that the guy on the other team was taken out.

Tell that to the Spider that tried to edge in. He was so intent on killing that Nova that he just walked right in front of me pretty as you please apparently expecting that I would see him as I was completely focused on unloading with a fury into the Nova and check my fire in time for him to get that kill with little to no risk to himself.

Honestly you bring up my point exactly. I am not going to fire through someone to get a kill, not intentionally but I am also not going to intentionally put myself in front of my teammate and block his fire, when he is on the verge of finishing off an enemy just to snake a easy kill so I can pad my K/D ratio. That is what is so frustrating. Both times there was no way they couldn't see intensive fire being lashed out at the enemy and/or not no that they were walking right into a fire lane but both times they just sauntered out into that fire lane without a care in the world and then when I don't see them or even remotely expect some idiot to just stand in an obvious fire lane, I get blamed for them dying.

View PostHashtagComStarWasRight, on 29 September 2014 - 08:17 PM, said:

Difficult for you, maybe. But apparently not difficult for the multiple Dire Wolf pilots I drop with daily.

Like I said, you need to ork on your situational awareness and knowledge of your firing lanes. You should have noticed the Spider coming (even if he was obscured by buildings you can note his direction and speed on the radar/minimap) and have already been ready to stop firing if he crossed your lane.

Don't try to make it about the Spider pilot.

e: Was it you that started a similar thread the other day? I feel like this is the second 'grr people walk in front of me' DW thread I've read recently.

Ok seriously. Did you really say that? I am in a heated furball of a firefight. I have a Nova in my sights, out of position not 100m in front of me maneuvering for all its worth in tight quarters and at this critical phase, I should be staring at my mini map instead of concentrating on keeping my crosshairs on the enemy mech? Please get serious here.

And yes, I will absolutely make it about the Spider pilot, for multiple reasons.

1 - he has a minimap too and should see my position relative to the target.

2 - he has to see the intense fire crossing his frontal area before he pops out as tons of AC shells and 5 laser beams are pretty damn hard not to see when it is at eye level not 50m in front of you.

3 - he is alot more maneuverable and agile than me so can change directions and vectors to avoid my fire lane much easier than I can move my mech to avoid his movements.

So sorry, yes it is about the Spider pilot. He got greedy for a kill and decided to jump in front of me blocking my fire in order to secure the kill.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 29 September 2014 - 08:27 PM.

#16 HashtagComStarWasRight

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:29 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 29 September 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

Both times there was no way they couldn't see intensive fire being lashed out at the enemy and/or not no that they were walking right into a fire lane but both times they just sauntered out into that fire lane without a care in the world and then when I don't see them or even remotely expect some idiot to just stand in an obvious fire lane, I get blamed for them dying.

You get blamed because you shot them. Don't shoot them and you won't get blamed.

Who kills the target doesn't matter, if a teammate moves in for the kill now you have the opportunity to go engage something else.

Also your wording in the post Im quoting is even more obviously biased, you have this weird complex about people 'stealing your kills' and you need to get over it.

#17 HashtagComStarWasRight

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 29 September 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

So sorry, yes it is about the Spider pilot. He got greedy for a kill and decided to jump in front of me blocking my fire in order to secure the kill.

You need to accept that you are responsible for where your fire is going.

The Spider has radar, true, but radar doesn't show him who's firing and where. You know where you are firing and you know where the Spider is and is moving to. If you continue firing as he crosses in front of you that is you refusing to stop firing. That is you shooting your teammate.

e: Also please stop with the 'he got greedy for kills' stuff. That just makes it sound like you shot him because you thought he was 'stealing your kill'.

e: Ah, here's the thread I remember reading, which you posted in because I re-found it through your profile. All of this has already been gone over in that thread, so we're pretty much done here.

http://mwomercs.com/...kka-dakka-wolf/

Edited by HashtagComStarWasRight, 29 September 2014 - 08:45 PM.

#18 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

I've TK'd and blown off arms. Just today, while zoomed in, an Adder decided to walk right in front of me the exact moment I let go of the Gauss charge. NOT to mention, I had been spamming MG bullets into his face as well. Why, you thought you needed to weave through the 2 mechs and step in front of the both of us is beyond me. I didn't even see him until it went off and I saw I got a team kill and zoomed out. What sense did that make? Who knows how long the MG's were spamming his back.

The second one was virtually the same thing. I'm firing up at another Direwhale, within range of MG's again so it's being held down, spamming while I'm charging Gauss and a severely damaged Trebuchet walked into the MG's and then again, as I let go of Gauss, it kills him because he's already low health.

People are notorious for thinking they need to jump in front of you and stand, for whatever reason. Regardless of there being a beam of lasers or otherwise that they're walking through. If you can't see in your peripheral vision that there's a steady stream of fire going into a target and you decide to walk through it, even tho it's obviously right there.. how can you get mad that someone kills you? Especially when you're so close that your mech is invisible when someone is zoomed in, even the slightest amount?

Edited by Moonlander, 29 September 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#19 HashtagComStarWasRight

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

View PostMoonlander, on 29 September 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

Especially when you're so close that your mech is invisible when someone is zoomed in, even the slightest amount?

Sounds like a case of tunnel vision on your part.

#20 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

Tunnel vision because I'm zoomed in and I can't see the mech right under me? Have you ever used the Zoom feature? Oh, you watch your map instead of the target you're zoomed in on? Sounds legit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users