New To Dire Wolves. Op Much?

40 replies to this topic

#21 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:56 AM

A good player in a dire wolf just slaughters noobs, and wrecks stuff in a kill box, especially 300-600m (outside of IS brawling range effectiveness).

Its amazingly vulnerable when it gets focus fire because it's so slow however so if you lead a push and get FF you can get wrecked fast. I don't personally have a problem with lights in mine however.

I think the DW is fine as it is. As long as you have a clan mech with 50tons of pod space, it's going to be a beast.

#22 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:02 AM

View Postfx8320, on 29 September 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

DWF is one of the best PUG assaults, because people don't twist, go out alone, push at wrong time etc, so you just punish them.

Fact is, DWF is also going to get punished at the first mistake in a good match, that's the whole point, immense firepower, but if you get focused there's nothing you can do, you are dead. Just, in PUGs, that doesn't happen too frequently.

However, after Mastering them, I pulled out mystalkers and got 3x 1000+ games in a row and I felt like I was driving a Jenner. So are stalkers overpowered too?

Also, there are like 3-4 per side every game since the release, you notice the one with 700-800 damage which is just normal assault damage,but what about the other 4-5 that got 300 damage ? :)

There are just too much of them right now ingame. 4-5 assaults per team is just not normal, think is as this : how often did you face or had 4 to 6 atlai in the same team ? 'cos this is the tonnage you are facing or running with. Just give it time :P

Before the 3/3/3/3 bs i often dropped against matches with 8 Atlas and 4 Embers.....i dont think its any worse. Its actually much better must have not been around before the days of 4x3 or you should still be having nightmares or 12 JR7 teams. You claim you just got them but you think you know enough about them to claim they are OP? How many matches you played 3? Play 35 games then post the scores....

Nothing wrong with the DWF and to be honest 700 dmg is normal. Its when you double that and start putting up 1400 normally then we may have an argument about something being out of balance.....

I did a 700 DMG game in my DWF last night too then i turned around and put up 900 with my JR7.

Jenner OP :ph34r:

Edited by DarthRevis, 30 September 2014 - 07:07 AM.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:14 AM

Well if that makes the mech overpowered... then by that logic a Stalker with 4 flamers, 1 Small Pulse, and 5 streak SRM-2s is pay to win.
Spoiler

I think you're having a winning streak. If you're new to assaults, then yes you've been seeded in ELO.
If you're not new to assaults and frequently use them, then you are more or less at your ELO. This is under the assumption that ELO participates in group play.

The real question is how do you fair in solo play?
Also given due time, you'll eventually be opted for a losing streak. You won't feel so overpowered then.

Edited by Koniving, 30 September 2014 - 07:15 AM.

#24 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:17 AM

It's an assault mech. :) It's just the flavor of the week now that its out for C-Bills. All new C-bill releases go through this glut phase. I personally don't like playing mine b/c its sluggish even maxed and can be a tad to easy to maul newbies in. (not much fun) Personally I felt the swarm of Firestarters, upon its release, was much more of a pita than 4 Dire whales per side. Whales are easier to harpoon. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kali Rinpoche, 30 September 2014 - 07:18 AM.

#25 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 30 September 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

Before the 3/3/3/3 bs i often dropped against matches with 8 Atlas and 4 Embers.....i dont think its any worse. Its actually much better must have not been around before the days of 4x3 or you should still be having nightmares or 12 JR7 teams. You claim you just got them but you think you know enough about them to claim they are OP? How many matches you played 3? Play 35 games then post the scores....

Nothing wrong with the DWF and to be honest 700 dmg is normal. Its when you double that and start putting up 1400 normally then we may have an argument about something being out of balance.....

I did a 700 DMG game in my DWF last night too then i turned around and put up 900 with my JR7.

Jenner OP :ph34r:

I don't know where you read I said they are OP, I said they are ok.

Played 150 games making full use of free premium time.

I've also started in a decent helo I think, because my previous assaults are stalkers, with a 3,50 k/d on 3F and 3H being my best assaults now, and 2,70 on the 5M, 500 matches and something like 1,3 win rate, moslty solo, so I think it was not a streak but just being able to matter sometimes.

With the DWF, I've had games in the 1100+ and games in the 200s, avg I think is around 500 or 600.

We if you take any other build then 5xUAC5 they are normal.
The 5xUAC5 wrecks anything dumb enough to front approach...but why would one do it?
I got owned by many good light pilots, or when the team left me behind, or with lurms and ECM not covering.

Ofc, when the other team tried to approach frontally, it was a massacre.
But so I was on LRM stalkers when the other team doesn't cover, or on SRM stalker when the other team doesn't watch the flank etc etc

To me they are not OP, but very amazing situational mechs, much like the stalkers, and that's why I like them.

And what I'm saing in the other post is 700 dmg is normal for an assault...I don't know why you quoted me but I'm saying more or less what you then type to me :D because it's not true that DWF are constantly doing 1400 damage, best players are constantly doing 1000 damage which is far different. At least I've seen much more DWFs scoring in the 300s then in the 1000s in those 150 matches.

Edited by fx8320, 30 September 2014 - 07:33 AM.

#26 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

View Postfx8320, on 30 September 2014 - 07:27 AM, said:

I don't know where you read I said they are OP, I said they are ok.

Played 150 games making full use of free premium time.

I've also started in a decent helo I think, because my previous assaults are stalkers, with a 3,50 k/d on 3F and 3H being my best assaults now, and 2,70 on the 5M, 500 matches and something like 1,3 win rate, moslty solo, so I think it was not a streak but just being able to matter sometimes.

With the DWF, I've had games in the 1100+ and games in the 200s, avg I think is around 500 or 600.

We if you take any other build then 5xUAC5 they are normal.
The 5xUAC5 wrecks anything dumb enough to front approach...but why would one do it?
I got owned by many good light pilots, or when the team left me behind, or with lurms and ECM not covering.

Ofc, when the other team tried to approach frontally, it was a massacre.
But so I was on LRM stalkers when the other team doesn't cover, or on SRM stalker when the other team doesn't watch the flank etc etc

To me they are not OP, but very amazing situational mechs, much like the stalkers, and that's why I like them.

And what I'm saing in the other post is 700 dmg is normal for an assault...I don't know why you quoted me but I'm saying more or less what you then type to me :D because it's not true that DWF are constantly doing 1400 damage, best players are constantly doing 1000 damage which is far different. At least I've seen much more DWFs scoring in the 300s then in the 1000s in those 150 matches.

My response was missing a quote....some of that was meant to the OP (Original Poster)

But you claimed 4 or 5 assaults was to many in a game....i pointed you to the time BEFORE 4x3 when you could go up against 12 assaults while you Team did not have a SINGLE ONE. In a 12 player match 4 assaults is only 1/3rd of the team hardly too many. Also with current MM rules i have yet to see a match that wasnt even or close to. So if they have 4 or 5 so does your team....

Edited by DarthRevis, 30 September 2014 - 07:46 AM.

#27 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:52 AM

The fact that there are so many threads about this shows that it is probably the best assault out there right now. Is it OP? Do you think your team will instantly win if you have three of them? No. Originally they really appeared OP, mainly because the more competitive players who paid cash were piloting them. Now that they have been released for cbills you start to see their downsides more often. In the hands of a good pilot you are going to pull 600 to1000 damage games with them. That's about what I do with my shadowhawk and I'm maybe average. In the hands of a bad pilot they are just a giant target for lrms and scouts, wasting an assault mech and probably ruining your team's chance of winning.

#28 Parazaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 270 posts
  • LocationSurrey, London

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:00 AM

The Direwolf seems OP because all Clan tech is OP and it's king of the hill.

Sure it's slow as hell but that's really it's only weakness. In a good team that don't just all fight for themselves or leave it behind, it can be devastating (as can the Warhawk as well)

The Daishi is well-known as one of the premier Assaults from previous games and tabletop but the devs have to make a coherent choice here between balance and canon.

They have already stated that they do not intend to do 10 vs 12 clan vs IS. They have also recently stated that in CW they are in favour of drop weight limits rather than class limits for the 4 mechs each of us can take on our dropships for planetary invasion/defence.

Both decisions favour Clan mechs and, imho, will have to be reviewed at some point in one of those familiar PGI u-turns.

back to the OP....yes Dire Wolves are overpowered for a game that the devs intend to be balanced (in terms of the original lore, they are just as in previous games, high fire-power, top of the hill Assaults)

#29 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

something smells in this thread and i dont like it.

#30 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:04 AM

View PostTurist0AT, on 30 September 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

something smells in this thread and i dont like it.

Don't sniff the thread then.

Posted Image

#31 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:25 AM

View PostParazaine, on 30 September 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

The Direwolf seems OP because all Clan tech is OP and it's king of the hill.

Sure it's slow as hell but that's really it's only weakness. In a good team that don't just all fight for themselves or leave it behind, it can be devastating (as can the Warhawk as well)

The Daishi is well-known as one of the premier Assaults from previous games and tabletop but the devs have to make a coherent choice here between balance and canon.

They have already stated that they do not intend to do 10 vs 12 clan vs IS. They have also recently stated that in CW they are in favour of drop weight limits rather than class limits for the 4 mechs each of us can take on our dropships for planetary invasion/defence.

Both decisions favour Clan mechs and, imho, will have to be reviewed at some point in one of those familiar PGI u-turns.

back to the OP....yes Dire Wolves are overpowered for a game that the devs intend to be balanced (in terms of the original lore, they are just as in previous games, high fire-power, top of the hill Assaults)

They are not OP, Clan Tech is not OP. The fact you even said that shows me how little you know about Tech in general.

How about the PPFLD that the IS use? A/C20? Shorter Burn time Lasers, swappable engines, the ability to Equip FF and Endo or neither if you choose. Adjustable top speeds, Faster Lights, STD or XL engines....

Yea, Clan Tech is so OP, Not to mention we have HARDWIRED stuff and they are getting ready to MAKE MORE STUFF HARDWIRED. Pretty soon the Clan mechs will be NON CUSTOMIZABLE. But you really should keep talking about how much better Clan Tech is.... :rolleyes:

#32 salkeee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 172 posts
  • LocationTree House

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 30 September 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

They are not OP, Clan Tech is not OP. The fact you even said that shows me how little you know about Tech in general.

How about the PPFLD that the IS use? A/C20? Shorter Burn time Lasers, swappable engines, the ability to Equip FF and Endo or neither if you choose. Adjustable top speeds, Faster Lights, STD or XL engines....

Yea, Clan Tech is so OP, Not to mention we have HARDWIRED stuff and they are getting ready to MAKE MORE STUFF HARDWIRED. Pretty soon the Clan mechs will be NON CUSTOMIZABLE. But you really should keep talking about how much better Clan Tech is.... :rolleyes:

So ur saying IS is OP but magicaly all clan players are just that much better so they can roll over IS.
This shows me how much U dont want to know about tech all around.

I m personaly not sure about Dires being OP they are powerhouse sure but they do have a weaknesses.Thou truth be told in wise group play all those weaknesses can be negated.
Now I m yet to learn weaknes of Timbers.

#33 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

@OP

Just so you know.. if you take an Atlas and slow it down, you can hold toe to toe with these big boys... Now if you choose speed over damage, you can keep the Atlas hauling (faster) and moving with less weapons and easily causing a headache for the slow turning Direwolf. Overall, the Direwolves are FAR from OP.

Advice: Move out of Toe-to-toe fighting if you are running a fast assault, and work the body. If you go slow, you can Toe-to-Toe it just fine and utilize weapon ranges to dominate....

Builds I use...
AS7-D
AS7-D-DC
AS7-K
AS7-RS(C)
BOAR'S HEAD

Edited by Creovex, 30 September 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#34 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

the atlas tanks so much better too. and can lead a push like no other assault can if it's a ddc, best tanker+ECM, +STD engine so you can tank even more even if you dropped both sides.

that's another reason I'd bring an atlas in a competitive game, and a DWF in a solo drop, others just won't follow you in solo, but in a team, a charging atlas is much better for the role.

however as you mentioned, I think nowdays the real advantage atlas has, is it can be pretty fast for a 100 tonner, I'd go with the speed path which is much funnier too

AS7-D-DC

Lower alpha but amazing speed for a 100T and still devastating in brawls with ac20 and 3xsrm6+A, plus good cooling eff.

PS

my best so far with the DWF :

Posted Image

still can' reach my stalker match score :D

Posted Image

Edited by fx8320, 30 September 2014 - 02:45 PM.

#35 Tool Box

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 219 posts
  • LocationDealing with a lance of enemies by myself.

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostKoniving, on 30 September 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

The real question is how do you fair in solo play?
Also given due time, you'll eventually be opted for a losing streak. You won't feel so overpowered then.

Yeah the dire is just slightly above average because it is clan. Also I have gone on a losing streak now BUT I did ok still averaging 500-700 damage I just couldn't figure out how to carry the team like I could on a timber. When I was low elo with my timber I was getting 1k++ damage games left and right :P

Thanks you guys for the responses my fears for clan opness have been put to rest so to speak. The nuances of how the dire plays I must now unlock to get even better :)

Edited by Tool Box, 30 September 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#36 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:04 AM

View PostHaipyng, on 30 September 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

Don't sniff the thread then.

Posted Image

Never mind. The stink was just me not the thread.

#37 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:55 AM

hahaha, IF direwolf jocks learn (like atlas DDC guys did a year ago) that you can't just waddle out into the open, wander off whatever way you want and expect to be a mobile war castle...you'll do 600 damage and die.
IF lances would dumb down their assaults to 55kph top speed and use that now empty space for ammo, heat sinks etc. its advantage would triple.
Till then...I'll keep killing them by going behind, or just getting on top just a little.

Pug Analogy: Think Wile E Coyote and the Train.....if he'd ONLY taken three steps to the side, that train of pain would go flying by.

#38 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:29 AM

What it and the other assault/heavy mechs have going for them is basic Clan components and hard points. Very few IS are equipped with XL engines to free up weight that could be to use in other areas nor do they have as many hard points. Even if they did have the hard points and did equip IS XL engines, once a side torso is gone, so is the mech.

As for the damage, unfortunately the game stats does not separate pure direct damage from the indirect damage (ammo explosions) and with the number of weapons or type of weapons it can equip, there are more opportunities for crits once the armor has been removed. That one of the advantage of burst shots on the ballistics, the longer duration of beam time and staggered missile flight.

#39 Scotia

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:30 AM

Im not a great mech pilot by any means but i can do a ton of damage with my DW, then again just last night i killed a DW with my jenner (4 small lasers and srm4) :)

#40 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:16 AM

Assault Mechs should score >600 damage each match, in my opinion. Just how much more you score over 600 is up to you and your skill set.

Frankly, I've found that I am constantly under performing in my own Dire Wolves, consistently scoring around 300 damage or so. In short, by my own standards, I am scoring at half the minimum requirement for an Assault. Contrast this to my BLRs where I consistently score about 700 damage.

My own observations then, are this: Dire Wolves are the single most powerful Mech in the game, but are also the most difficult to pilot. Their lack of mobility and agility make them very vulnerable and necessitate bodyguards to protect them from Lights and Mediums. Shoot, I've used my LCT-1V(P) (1 MPL and Quad MGs) to solo kill Dire Wolves. However, all their offensive firepower still makes Dire Wolves the single most dangerous Mech in the game to face head-on in a fight.

So...basically, it all boils down to this: How good a pilot are you? Can you keep the enemy in front of your guns? How good are your teammates? Can they keep the enemy out of your six? If you answered "Good," "Yes," "Good," and "Yes," to the those questions, then I think that 700 damage is a very reasonable score.

...If you're like me though, and have trouble piloting such a slow Mech and are solo pugging a lot, then your score should be much lower since Dire Wolves are not a good pugging Mech.

Finally, yes, the Timbers are the single best Mech in the game at this moment. However, best does not necessarily translate into high scores. I've used Tier 5 IS Mechs to solo duel and kill Timbies simply because I'm better than those pilots. I've also scored over 900 damage with one of my own Timbies. Basically, when the chips are down and the cards are on the table, it always, always comes down to pilot skill. Yes, certain Mechs are better, but that really only matters when the pilots themselves have similar skill sets.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users