Guys Big Problem

14 replies to this topic

#1 OliverTwisted

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

Whenever something like this happens to me, I just use system restore and go back a few days. Sorry, I realize thats not what you asked, but thats what I would do and it seems to work for me.

#2 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:43 PM

Well there is
Microsoft security essentials
AVAST
And Malwarebytes
All are free

I am also careful what links I get stuff from
I use cnet to get AVAST

HTH

#3 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:44 PM

I had a similar problem (similar in it's persistence). Safe mode, then system restore.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:26 AM

my usual fix for this sort of thing (working in IT support I have to deal with simular most weeks) is system restore to before the infection, from safe mode.
then use an antivirus and an antimalware program to run full scans.
If you have trouble installing the Antivirus or Antimalware programs install them from safemode using a USB stick

Avast, MS security essentials or AVG will work for free antivirus.

Malware Bytes Anti Malware or Super Anti Spyware free for antimalware.

#5 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

If you could, would you mind telling us how your comp got the bug so the rest of us can avoid the little bugger.

#6 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:24 AM

That may end bad.
Best scenario: a proper antivirus/malware program will eliminate it.
Worst scenario: completely new installation of the system.

#7 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:30 AM

try running hitmanpro; the trial version might kill it.

#8 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:50 AM

Hitmanpro saved my computer from a then (1 year ago) particularly new and nasty version of the 'police trojan'. You know, <insert police agency of your country> screen pops up and doesn't go away claiming you have been downloading games or anything else illegal and you need to pay a fine to a certain bank account. I tried loads of solutions (it helps having a second uninfected computer to download tools on USB-sticks and such) but Hitmanpro was the only one that could help me in the end. Cost me a year license but I've got no regrets. Small enough price to pay for getting your computer back out of the clutches of those criminals.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

I am glad it is fixed

I get that sort of email frequently, it is easy to spot when a bank you do not have an account with asks you in poorly written English to follow a link and login, especially as the Links text rarely matches the location it points to,

It harder to spot when it is from a company you were expecting something from, and the email is written in good English.

5 years ago when I was on an adult education college course retraining for IT support, I could not believe it when half the trainees on my course got their machines infected,a few days later one of the recent graduates sent an email asking if anyone had fallen for the email virus he had sent, that is about as good way of teaching caution when opening email attachments as you are likely to find

best practice is to scan any attachments with an anti malware program before running them.

the only time I have made the error of opening unsolicited attachments was when a Teacher (at the school where I work) forwarded me an email saying "I cannot open this attachment, can you open it for me", when someone asks for help my first instinct is to help them fix the problem, so I fell for it, after disinfecting my PC, and feeling like a complete idiot for falling for an email virus, I asked the Teacher if he had been expecting anything, he said no, was just curios after receiving it, my advice was if he ever again receive attachments with an unsolicited email just delete them.

#10 HUNTERS MOON

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:26 PM

Simple..install a copy of Linux mint on a partition or other drive. Do your banking on it.

#11 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:32 PM

You just replied to an 8 month old post.

Way to go Captain Timely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users