Include Advanced Zoom On All Mechs -- Not As A Module

21 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Advanced Zoom be built-in to Mechs (76 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Advanced Zoom be built-in to Mechs?

1. Advanced Zoom should be built into all mechs, i.e. not a module. (19 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. PGI should just give all mechs 3 mech module slots. (10 votes [13.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

3. No, the modules are fine as they are now with just a few mechs having 3 or more mech modules. (47 votes [61.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

Since the redesign (and nerf) of the module system, most of us have been left with modules we purchased that we can't use on most mechs.

I used to use sensor range increase, siesmic, and others... but with only 2 slots and the massive amount of LRMs that came with the Clan Mechs I have to go with only 2 these days: Advanced Zoom and Radar Deprivation (unless I have an ECM mech).

All my other modules that I fought countless battles to pay for sit unused... BUT PGI, its not too hard to fix. We like the cooldown weapon modules and having the one shot modules. BUT please give us back that extra Mech module slot... you have MORE MECH MODULE OPTIONS than we can really use now.

The easy solution is: 1) give us back that 1 mech module slot (which I don't think PGI is going to do) or, 2) Make Advanced Zoom a built in feature on all mechs.

I think the second one is best option, and frankly, the game is SO tough for newbies that having at least advanced zoom from the beginning gives you a chance to at least see who is sniping you before you die in the first 2 minutes of the match. :) And it gives us a chance to use some of the other fun modules your team cooked up for us. its a win-win in my book.

Edited by Jman88, 30 September 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:40 PM

Or, ditch advanced zoom and use something else there? I dunno, I don't think I want more module slots. That just increases my per-mech module costing. While I move modules around, with ~70 mechs, that's just more slots to fill.

I like hard choices as to what to use.

#3 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:26 AM

It's called having a to make a choice. We need more of them.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:08 AM

I agree that we need more choices, and they should be important choices.

Some mechs have better hardpoints, enginel imits, etc, and others have more modules. If you want to play with a larger number of module equipment you can research which mechs/variants have that option and buy accordingly.

#5 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:16 AM

I cant vote, don't see a just plain NO...

That said, the whole modules system should be scrapped, as should the basic, elite and master tier unlocks...

the only customizations should be in load-out and paint.

#6 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, I'm kinda wishing I could make back what I spent on Advanced Zoom. With the massive velocity decrease to PPCs and Ballistics, along with the shortened Ballistics range, the only reason why someone would want an Advanced Zoom is for Gauss Sniping. That basically kills the module for me since I only have three Mechs that mount Gauss Rifles (out of 53 Mechs total, lol). Radar Deprivation and Target Gathering Info are way better modules, as is Hill Climb and Advanced Gyro. There's zero reason for anyone to mount a Zoom Module now.

So...I would say that PGI could throw in a cockpit module slot or something that would take the Zoom Module and perhaps some new Cockpit Modules too (But none of the other Mech Modules). Maybe upgrades to Heat Vision (Module to convert back to Predator Vision?), magnetic detection vision, or something else like that? Then pilots would have a reason to take a Zoom Module again if this slot existed, and it would allow greater customization for optics.

#7 Evogenesis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

Advanced zoom is great for gauss and ERLL sniping. I also use it on my dual ppc cicada when I just want to make sure I hit a particular spot at medium range.

#8 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:29 AM

I use it with ERLL on my 3L and K2.

#9 Russhuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 722 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:56 PM

i feel quite ok with the two module slots available on most mechs
maybe a third one could be useful but that helps avoiding a lot of thinking about your mech built
let s not take too much brainwork out of the game

with friendly regards

Rußhuster

#10 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostRusshuster, on 02 October 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

i feel quite ok with the two module slots available on most mechs
maybe a third one could be useful but that helps avoiding a lot of thinking about your mech built
let s not take too much brainwork out of the game

with friendly regards

Rußhuster

I had four on my 3L before they changed it, seismic, zoom, hill, accelerated cap...

now I have to choose two of those

#11 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

So what do the people who paid fairly for Advanced Zoom get? What's our compensation for the GXP/CB waste?

#12 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 02 October 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

So what do the people who paid fairly for Advanced Zoom get? What's our compensation for the GXP/CB waste?

I paid plenty for mine, and I would not have if i had known I wouldn't be able to use them.

This games seems to be like all the other PVP only games, the more you pay/play the bigger advantage you have over new people...

Read up on Toxikk.
http://toxikk.com/7-...s-about-toxikk/

"...no leveling, no skill-trees, no perks..."

#13 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

Greetings all,

If the 'zoom' was included on Mech's as a standard element, and not just the Pilot leaning forward or moving the seat closer.
- Say used for long range id and spotting, I don't have a problem with that. Say a 3x to 5x zoom only.
- It should or could be tied to the type of weapons loaded on the Mech, if that weapon has the capability for long range then it should have vision out to that range.

The module we have now is fine as an 'Enhanced zoom' out beyond the standard zoom level.
- If the shooter requires precise location fire to one specific location on a distant Mech or ground target.
- If you already paid for it it's still available, but it's now a 25x zoom. Not something that can be used in the 400 to 600mtr range.
(unless you want to remove single bolts at a time? I jest.)

So, both have there use and we gain a standard smaller zoom for times when you may just need to see at distance and not have remove a thumb from a hand. I don't see where we lose anything. As any combat vehicle that doesn't have basic optics of at lease 5x, even at the ranges we have in game, is failing.

9erRed

#14 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

I'm against the proposal. I think the module is perfect as is. And I like that some mechs have more, or less modules.

The change in modules didn't 'nerf' the system... if anything, it gave us much MORE options. We now have 2 dedicated spots to put weapon buffs. We have 2 dedicated spots to stick consumables. on EVERY mech. PLUS the original module slots.

Back in the day, consumables used the same module slots as your normal 'mech' ones. So you had to choose between permanent perks, or temporary gains.

I'd like to see more modules added. Though, first I'd like to see the menu we organize modules in rehauled... But, stay the course PGI. This one, you've gotten just about perfect.

#15 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:30 PM

NO . . .

#16 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:44 PM

Seismic and Radar Dep - them is the two.

#17 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:35 AM

The module is just fine the way it is, having to make choices in what suits your play is what makes you different from the next guy.

#18 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:16 AM

only thing it needs to do is fix the targeting reticle so it works when using trackir. its currently the module i use the least.

#19 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

View PostJman88, on 30 September 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

I think the second one is best option, and frankly, the game is SO tough for newbies that having at least advanced zoom from the beginning gives you a chance to at least see who is sniping you before you die in the first 2 minutes of the match.

I am ok with this argument..
But anyway some newbies will leave the game before they shall know they can unlock a zoom module... others are ok with this and with PGI choice ... I think it's the better way for kill a game which haven't yet lots of players.

Edited by Idealsuspect, 19 April 2015 - 01:17 PM.

#20 Kissamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:36 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 12 March 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

only thing it needs to do is fix the targeting reticle so it works when using trackir. its currently the module i use the least.

Agreed. With headtracking aiming with this module is very hard. Sometimes you hit targets when you line it up just right, but usually you miss even though you seem to have crosshairs right on target.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users