Is It Time To Increase Xp And C-Bill Rewards?

111 replies to this topic

#1 Milt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:02 AM

I'm a casual player with very limited play time and limited funds. Before the increase in mechs and modules I felt comfortable with the current rewards. Now with the recent increase in new toys and components I'm finding the grind to be incredibly daunting. I get on to play and mess around a bit with builds but I become quickly depressed at the length of time it will take me just to acquire some of the basic items and mechs I really want, so I end up not playing at all. Is it just me or are other players experiencing the same feelings?

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:10 AM

I agree, it's getting a bit ridiculous. I'm a long time player, I've got the relevant modules unlocked, but direwolf level cbills doesn't come easy.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:13 AM

I've always had a comfortable c-bill income, and have never felt exping my mechs was a chore. I frequently play with premium time (especially if I buy a set of new mechs I'll usually buy or activate some premium time)

I've always had a Founder mech or Hero mech available, and am still sitting on MC leftover that came in my Founder pack, I've always had MC handy for a bit of prem time, paints, etc. Hero mechs are great, especially for a more casual approach where you don't want to play a lot during a timed premium time period. A hero mech will always have a nice fat bonus on it.

By contrast when I played LoL and didn't pay any money, I always felt extremely hampered by a lack of income and a lack of progress. food for thought.

#4 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:20 AM

View PostMilt, on 01 October 2014 - 05:02 AM, said:

I'm a casual player with very limited play time and limited funds.

Sorry, but this is not how the f2p market works in general. Either spent money or time. F2P are not here to make the world better. They are created to make money. If they increase the cbill income they decrease the incentive to buy premium time at the same time (which is something they probably don't want to do) The grind in MWO is rather moderate compared to other games (WoT comes to mind).

Guys come up with stuff like "if the grind was less, i would invest some money", but the truth is, they could reduce the grind by investing money and simply want a shorter grind without ever spending a single $ on the game.

Edited by meteorol, 01 October 2014 - 06:23 AM.

#5 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:26 AM

Nope. They just need to reduced the cost of modules and upgrades like DHS or Endo.

#6 Lupin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 955 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:28 AM

No problem with income, reduced due to them removing Repair & Rearm.
Do think there should be more awards added scouts.

Options:
1. Save up by a mech with XP & Cbill bouns.
2. Wait for community warfare.
3. Wait for Repair & Rearm, so that the risk and reward increase.

#7 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:32 AM

As meteorol said, F2P game require time or money or a combination of the two.

If you don't have either, you can still enjoy the game but you need to make due with less.

#8 Ph30nix

• 2,442 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:47 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 01 October 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

Sorry, but this is not how the f2p market works in general. Either spent money or time. F2P are not here to make the world better. They are created to make money. If they increase the cbill income they decrease the incentive to buy premium time at the same time (which is something they probably don't want to do) The grind in MWO is rather moderate compared to other games (WoT comes to mind).

Guys come up with stuff like "if the grind was less, i would invest some money", but the truth is, they could reduce the grind by investing money and simply want a shorter grind without ever spending a single $ on the game.

First the majority of F2P games have HORRIBLE business models that are designed to do o nothing more then rip off potential customers as quickly as possible. So comparing anything to the F2P market "average" is just a bad idea.

Second a GOOD F2P game wants to encourage play not discourage it. Huge Grinds do nothing but discourage game play and create artificial pay walls for some players. A good F2P game should really make it so you never have to spend a dime and still be able to have access to all game play aspects.
Now MWO is actually in a decent spot but it could use some tweaking especially with the clan mechs and their massive price increases.

So again the F2P market for the most part is horribly broken and will help lead to another video game industry crash (not on its own of course but in conjunction with other horrible business practices of the major game developers)
MWO is actually one of the good ones but it could use some tweaking if it doesnt the situation will get VERY bad come CW because newer players will have zero access to Clan mechs so there will not be a large enough player base to have any real community warfare.

#9 TYKONDEROGA

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:56 AM

I almost broke the bank pickin up the DireWolves, so I've been running my Ember and making like 300k a match taking that sweet C-Bill shower!

#10 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

They don't need to be buffed. They just need to be un-nerfed.

#11 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:28 AM

It's fine imo.

#12 Milt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:29 AM

I understand the f2p market and I have spent a considerable amount of money on this game. But my point was that recently the game has more than doubled the amount of things you need to be relatively successful at the game, while leaving the rewards at the same level. Back when they reduced the rewards given per match we didn't have near the number of modules or mechs at that time. I used my self as an example to show that some ppl find the grind to be a bit much atm.

Edited by Milt, 01 October 2014 - 07:30 AM.

#13 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:34 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 01 October 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

I agree, it's getting a bit ridiculous. I'm a long time player, I've got the relevant modules unlocked, but direwolf level cbills doesn't come easy.

Right, and nor should it.

It's a F2P game, they need a bit of a grind. I will say this though, there are some nice Trial Mechs out there for the new player (although that 12 ERMLaser Nova isn't novice friendly AT ALL).

You could always buy one Hero mech if you can (it helps immensly). If not, I guess it's a grind :( .

#14 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:41 AM

I think c-bill income needs to go back to where it was before the introduction of 12v12 where they nerfed it across the board by 20-30%. That being said I would also be ok with a first win of the day c-bill bonus(not per mech but perhaps per weight class?).

#15 Kaox Veed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:45 AM

I wouldn't mind a slight bump in cbill earnings, or maybe just some more role warfare bonuses. Xp is fine though

#16 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

According to the Command Chair, updated rewards are coming down the pipe. We need to wait and see what those look like before any more meaningful discussion on this topic can take place.

That said, I do wish that PGI were a bit more aggressive with c-bill income, since the thing that keeps people playing most isn't the grind, but rather the fun of trying new mechs and new builds.

#17 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

threads like this..... in closed beta you had a hard time even making c-bills with larger mechs ;) the repair bills always made a hole in the wallet.
this fat minus after a fight.... i dont wanna know how many people would cry about this ;) i loved it. you had to play good to keep your mechs in field. if not... go lights!

#18 JackkyChan

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:00 AM

Iam new player I just finish my cadet bonus and then I play for 2 days to buy a summoner. My avg is 64,000-100,000 C-bills a match.I know at this rate it will take me 100-140 more matches to buy my next summoner variant to level my skills.I would like it to be around 50-70 battles which means I need a 50% increase in my C-bill production per battle or more things to gain C-bills per match.

A C-bill buff or more ways to make C-bills per match would be a good thing.

Edited by JackkyChan, 01 October 2014 - 08:00 AM.

#19 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:59 AM

Nice number breakdown. Fifty percent more c-bills is exactly how much you get from Premium time.

#20 Jacob Side

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:18 AM

It's called learn to live with the earnings you make a match or cough up some money from premium time.
No getting around it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users