36 replies to this topic

#1 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:59 AM

It may not be much help - but thanks to phones and the internet, you are not going to be as separated from them as you could be. :unsure:

#2 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:13 AM

Youth. Wasted on the young!

#3 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

Technically you wouldn't be violating the CoC even if you did give a location. You can release your own info, but that's it (I'm not asking, I'm just clarifying).

Anyways, you'll be in my prayers. How's the leg? Any better? Any worse?

#4 xXMastahclese

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 74 posts
  • LocationWork, always work :P

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:27 AM

It is funny how you dream about leaving home, going to college and all that all through high school and then when the time comes, leaving home leaves an aching in your heart for all of the things you know you may miss. But fear not! One day, you will be dreaming of going home and find that ache in your heart when you leave what you have now behind :)

Always bittersweet.

Hang in there, it gets better :DD

#5 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:01 AM

Skype and web cams, can go a long way for homesick contact of friends and family. It may be scary, but you will find.. it can also be very empowering and great.

#6 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:12 AM

I can only speak for myself, but all the bitterness of the major shift of lifestyle and not being around your loved ones was also a quite liberating experience, and provided me with chance to grow into myself in a way that I couldn't have if I stuck around them. I hate most of my family (and with good reason) but even then it took quite a while to adjust to the sudden shift in lifestyle.

Skype is a good way to keep in contact. Call your family a few times a week.

#7 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

I'm telling ya, that busted leg of yours and the subsequent lack of move-around is messing with your brain.

I dunno what's your plan next - college? Work? Either way, things are not gonna be as bad as you think it is. I mean, I'm from China and this is my senior year at University of Minnesota, and while the past four years was not exactly splendid, it was alright. I'm not exactly a social person but I managed to make friends. You'll meet people who, whether they're like you or not, can befriend with. Family is certainly not irreplaceable, but they're not the only ones who care about you. Meet people. Eat timely. Work out, at least do some cardio every day. Take good care of yourself for your family's sake. And at the end of the day, there's always technology. We live in a world where people can be out of reach, but never out of touch.

It's not like you have to worry about time difference or whatnot.... :ph34r:

#8 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 01 October 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

I am not giving any specific place or anything so I am not violating CoC.

Anyways its my Senior year of High school and I am preparing to take the ACTs and go into the world... It is so upsetting to me. I am leaving behind my 2 brothers, my cat, my dog, my parents, my home and I will likely end up out of state and only see them on holidays. I mean I have been in utter sadness for the entire day thinking this is the last I will be able to spend quality time with my family. I know this is an unusual thread and stuff it just is really hard on me right now and I have t get it out.

Marack.

I'm an international student in the U.S. Came here as an Iraqi refugee in Syria seeking education. I left my family in Syria (they managed to seek refuge in Jordan when things started exploding there). For us refugees, having the family together is priority number one. Yet, I can tell you that I do not regret leaving them a gazillion miles away. College is a great opportunity, and I had great times there. With modern technology, you're only a click away from your family, and being away for a few years will be very helpful for you.

Just remember to be social, and mingle with as many groups as possible. If you can find that group of friends that make you feel at home away from home, it will all be easy. What I did was abuse the hell out of my freshman status, and the freshman weeks. During lunch and dinner (we had a big dining hall), I would always walk up to a new group of people/new table, and introduce myself to them, and exchange light conversation. Do that each meal for the the first few weeks, and you're gonna meet almost everyone.

#9 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 01 October 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

Marack.

I'm an international student in the U.S. Came here as an Iraqi refugee in Syria seeking education. I left my family in Syria (they managed to seek refuge in Jordan when things started exploding there). For us refugees, having the family together is priority number one. Yet, I can tell you that I do not regret leaving them a gazillion miles away. College is a great opportunity, and I had great times there. With modern technology, you're only a click away from your family, and being away for a few years will be very helpful for you.

Just remember to be social, and mingle with as many groups as possible. If you can find that group of friends that make you feel at home away from home, it will all be easy. What I did was abuse the hell out of my freshman status, and the freshman weeks. During lunch and dinner (we had a big dining hall), I would always walk up to a new group of people/new table, and introduce myself to them, and exchange light conversation. Do that each meal for the the first few weeks, and you're gonna meet almost everyone.

And meet women. Meet lots and lots of women.

#10 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:04 PM

View PostHeffay, on 01 October 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

And meet women. Meet lots and lots of women.

I can't emphasize that hard enough. Or dudes, depending on what you prefer.

#11 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:09 PM

^ Practice safe sex. The twenty seconds to put on a condom is a much better deal than twenty years of child support or dealing with an STI the rest of your life.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 01 October 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#12 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

Well that escalated quickly. ^_^

#13 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:18 PM

View PostMarsAtlas, on 01 October 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

^ Practice safe sex. The twenty seconds to put on a condom is a much better deal than twenty years of child support or dealing with an STI the rest of your life.

If we're going into those tips, then yes. Be safe, ALWAYS.

View PostXphR, on 01 October 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

It got out of hand real fast

#14 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:41 PM

View PostXphR, on 01 October 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

Relevant.

#15 Time Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:53 PM

View PostMarsAtlas, on 01 October 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

Relevant.

Much better version:
http://youtu.be/U7jXSvQl4qE

Edited by Time Bandit, 01 October 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#16 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:24 PM

To the original poster of this thread.
Congrats on making it to your Senior Year.

While you may be worried about what the future holds, leaving your family behind, there are ways of seeing them. The only limit on your future is you. Relax. The world is out there to explore. Yes you may be leaving something behind, but how said anything about it being permanent. You can always visit them.

Take care of yourself, and watch your back. And enjoy some of the things the world has to offer!

#17 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 01 October 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

I won't do sex until I am married (I am religious and stuff).

Whatever floats your boat, friend. Some advice - operating under the presumption that you abstain until marriage, you should still get tested prior to the ceremony. Its completely possible to have an STI, as many can be transferred in ways other than sexual activity, and then spread it to your partner. Being proactive never hurts.

Anyways, enjoy the rest of senior year. Something not metioned yet, you should value your relationships with your friends from high school, because realistically, you're not really going to have much contact with them going into the future, as everybody goes through their lives in completely separate directions. The friendships are coming to a close, which isn't something to be looked upon with malcontent, but with celebration that it happened in the first place, and never having any sort of proper closure for a strong friendship can wound you greatly.

#18 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

Some you may not see again, some you will not talk to again, some you may end up right next too seventy years from now.. laughing about how scared you were to loose them then... and wondering if you just peed on yourself from laughing about it.

#19 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

lol. I snorted at this one. Yes Women are on the list. High up on the list.

Oh, that reminds me: Get high. And drunk. But not both at the same time.

I won't do sex until I am married (I am religious and stuff).

God wants you to be happy. That means he wants you to get laid. I double checked this info, and it's rock solid.

#20 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:38 PM

Those friends of yours? Some of them you may never see again. Some of them you may end up greeting awkwardly during holidays of the year. And some of them may hug you and laugh with you like you've never parted. I have a couple of those in the last category - one of which is in fact my ex - and again, I'm not a social or even a very sociable person.

True friendship do not perish. *invisible pat on shoulder*

View PostHeffay, on 01 October 2014 - 05:43 PM, said:

Oh, that reminds me: Get high. And drunk. But not both at the same time.

God wants you to be happy. That means he wants you to get laid. I double checked this info, and it's rock solid.

Dude, happiness comes in many shapes and forms. Let the boy figure out himself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users