Town Hall Meeting On Twitch.tv With Russ - Oct. 2Nd.

109 replies to this topic

#101 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

I finally got to listen to the whole thing, and I must say I'm pretty happy with everything that came out of it. I just want to hit a few highlight points for people that may not wish to listen to the whole thing . . . Also with some opinions on how it felt along the way:

1. The "faction limitations" as mentioned by van Uber, above, are exclusively IS vs Clan, currently. This was THOROUGHLY gone over between the first town hall and in command chair posts. So your only restrictions will be whether you're running an IS or a Clan chassis, regardless of your "sub-faction" choice (Davion, Kurita, Smoke Jaguar, Wolf, etc.). People tried to hit on that in this thread, not necessarily the meeting, and I thought it was worth mentioning, first.

2. The reason for weapon specific quirks is to fit the most common play-styles and/or to fit the lore of the specific variant, but that will in no way inhibit you from being effective with different builds that don't utilize those quirks. For example: yes, they're saying mechs like the Yen-Lo-Wang will have some extra AC20 quirks . . . so if you want to optimize the Yen-Lo-Wang to make use of EVERY quirk, you'd be geared with an AC20. On the other hand, if you have a different play-style in mind, the Yen-Lo-Wang will still be highly effective due to its other quirks. If you're not satisfied with that then look at the other Centurions . . . maybe you'll find your play-style better represented elsewhere. This will be applying to all varaints of every IS mech receiving any weapon based quirks.

3. On top of the weapon specific quirks, there will be plenty of generic "family" quirks of various spectrums (energy, laser, autocannon, ballistic, missile, SRM, etc.) that will be utilized on chassis to also augment their abilities. This means that you'll still be getting plenty of support and buffs through your generic quirks even if you don't use the more lore and/or meta based quirks of the mech. Some chassis may see more augmented generalized quirks than their specialized counterparts, but they really want to avoid using just generalized quirks, because it just makes all the variants feel the same . . . thusly the personalized quirks for each variant.

4. The 3PV comments here seem to be taking a bit of the conversation out of context. Yes, Russ admitted that his stubbornness is a part of the fault when pushing through 3PV, but that was AFTER he finally caved on it with all the pressure and feedback data from outside sources. He also cited that all the other MechWarrior games in the past had 3PV capabilities, so to include it in MWO was not too far-fetched, not to mention that 3PV is exactly what everyone predicted it would be (thanks to the handicaps in place for using it) . . . essentially worthless for skilled pilots. It's there as a new-player tool. His only request in the future is that when we get back around to talking about it, again, that people acknowledge where, how, and why it came into being so we can see what place it may have in MWO . . . most likely as a new player tool for understanding mech movements.

5. The same kind of thing was mentioned about Heat-Scale, Arm-Lock, ECM Revamps, Heat Level Penalties, Convergence, etc.. He just asked that, when we get around to talking about these things, we look at the hows, the whys, the places that these things fit into, and the needs that they fulfill. Not everyone will be happy with every decision, even as these things are readdressed . . . but everyone (PGI with the community's input) will be trying to fulfill the desires of the overwhelming majority of players in the game.

6. Although this was by no means a "throw IGP under the bus session", reading between the lines on how much IGP did really muck up MWO's development is kind of sad. I'm just really happy to hear that PGI took their own initiative and used their own funding to do things like fix the backend of the UI and create UI 2.0, to end their bottleneck in development; and they were constantly trying to fight for support for more map production and community warfare from IGP.

7. No, the game never was truly "crowd sourced" in the sense of something like Star Citizen. People were given the opportunity to buy into the game early (the Founders) and got a hell of a deal for their packages. IGP went outside PGI's knowledge and started throwing around the term "crowd sourcing" while apparently looking for more investors . . . and that really soured things between PGI and IGP. A lot of the "4 Pillars" and whatnot was gone over thoroughly in the first town hall meeting, although it was summarized here, as well. It was strongly recommended (which I wholeheartedly agree with) for people who missed it to go listen to the recordings for the first town hall. For people that want to go listen:
First Town Hall Part 1
First Town Hall Part 2
First Town Hall Part 3

8. The whole "mech packs" batch release concept is pretty awesome. It's not set in stone, but the current trend that's gone from Phoenix all the way to Clan Wave 2 may become the new standard for mech releases. If they continue on their current trend, it's actually very "Marvel Heroes"-esque, with releasing advance packs of characters and also having package sales for specific characters shortly before release. For MWO, they'd announce the "pack" (Invasion Wave 2, for example) and then have the flash sales for an individual chassis (like they just did for the Stormcrow) right before it is fully released for standard purchase. It is stated that there is an IS pack theoretically being bounced around right now . . . possibly announced in time for die-hard IS fans to buy a max tier pack in time for the King Crab anniversary bonus. This method also ensures that at least one mech will be released each month if they continue down this path.

9. The fact that maps will be able to be more easily made after the completion of the swamp map is pretty awesome as well. This will be thanks to having so many "tile sets" completed to give them pieces to work with and create just about anything they want. Having maps built for the more objective oriented combat of Community Warfare will be more easily accomplished, as well.

Very happy to hear that PGI has learned from everything that happened, how we got to where we're at on so many different topics, and also looking forward to the future. Thank you for taking the time to answer so many questions from the community and I look forward to seeing these more in the future.

#102 carl kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 395 posts
  • LocationMoon Base Alpha

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:04 PM

Just finished listening to it all. A big thanks to you Russ for taking the time to answer some good questions. its greatly appreciated. I look forward to seeing the new changes to the game. The great communication put forth has been refreshing and faith restoring.
Carl

#103 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:12 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 04 October 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

If 3PV wasn't a problem, they didn't have any need to listen to us.

Yeah them never listening to us has worked out so well for them hasnt it

Never hurt Transverse a bit did it? Was a huge success right?

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 04 October 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#104 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:20 PM

View PostWinter Frostfire, on 03 October 2014 - 05:43 AM, said:

I actually admire these guys for their resilience and dedication, when they could just walk away(mwtactics). Fully appreciate it, guys.

MW tactics isnt PGI but yeah

View Postrangergord, on 04 October 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

But the $64 question, what about community warfare? If I read everything correctly, each faction will have only a faction specific mech variant list available to use.

Better question: What about ppl who have bought hero mechs that conflict with that list? Can you not use them in CW?

#105 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 04 October 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

Better question: What about ppl who have bought hero mechs that conflict with that list? Can you not use them in CW?

It's been said multiple times now . . . the only "faction" lists are Inner Sphere and Clan for the purposes of Community Warfare mech chassis selection. If you're fighting for the IS, you can use ANY IS MECH, but ONLY IS MECHS. If you're fighting for the Clans, you can use ANY CLAN MECH, but ONLY CLAN MECHS. IS vs. IS battles and Clan vs. Clan battles would, again, be pure IS or pure Clan mech selections. Now, that said . . . for special events or scenarios you could see more restricted variant lists . . . as that is something they said that they are considering doing, but it's still not set in stone.

They also stated in the last town hall that the limitation could possibly change over time via some sort of special mechanic (possibly salvage) or just as the timeline progresses and Clan mechs would start to be salvaged and fielded by the Inner Sphere (as happens in lore). In the event of either situation the restrictions could potentially start to change . . . but there's also no guarantee that will happen. For now, though, it will be purely IS vs. purely Clan for the purposes of CW in relevant battles.

Edited by Sereglach, 04 October 2014 - 09:40 PM.

#106 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:45 PM

View PostSereglach, on 04 October 2014 - 09:39 PM, said:

It's been said multiple times now . . . .

Yeah sorry I missed it

I hadnt seen it till I saw it in this thread and that was after Id posted as I have a tendancy to read and reply as I go

View PostSereglach, on 04 October 2014 - 09:39 PM, said:

They also stated in the last town hall

Yeah I never listened to that one. I didnt know there WAS one till like 5 mins BEFORE hte oct 2 one lol

And I thought things would be seasonally reset (I read that on Reddit so it could be bs)?

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 04 October 2014 - 09:46 PM.

#107 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:59 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 04 October 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

Yeah sorry I missed it

I hadnt seen it till I saw it in this thread and that was after Id posted as I have a tendancy to read and reply as I go

Yeah I never listened to that one. I didnt know there WAS one till like 5 mins BEFORE hte oct 2 one lol

And I thought things would be seasonally reset (I read that on Reddit so it could be bs)?

No worries. If you want to listen to the first town hall, I've got links in my wall-o-text a earlier on this page. There's lots of great information to be had from it, and I do mean LOTS.

However, as a quick point, here's how I understand the "resets" from the previous town hall and command chair posts. There will be seasons for CW. After each season (tentatively set at 3 month increments) the Inner Sphere isn't going to completely reset, but people will have the opportunity to change factions to maybe participate in different aspects of the conflict (maybe they decide part way through to have a special place in their heart for the FRR and decide to help save them). There's been nothing directly said about "resetting" the Inner Sphere after every season. On the other hand, they've stated that if there is some sort of victory condition met (example: the clans taking Terra, or the IS pushes the Clans completely into the periphery), then they'd consider a sort of IS reset . . . but again, NOTHING is adamant in the seasons or resets and could tentatively change to suite what happens in development or to make the most enjoyable experience possible for the community.

#108 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:14 PM

View PostSereglach, on 04 October 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

Thank you for that writeup! B)

#109 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord