Can We Let Machineguns Shoot Down Missiles Already?

61 replies to this topic

#41 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

View PostJonathan Paine, on 01 October 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

How about they spend time making destructible features such as the stupid statues in River City, the annoying posters, the silly magical trees? Heck, could even let us destroy some of the boulders that are lying around? Something else they could invest programming hours in would be real collision damage.

Please just learn how to deal with LRMs with the gear that exists.

on all of the suggestion type threads, theres always two types of people, the changers (open minded) "hey, yeah, that could be cool or what about like this" and the status-quo (spoil sports) "no...just deal with it like it is"

the first type is driven by creativity, and possibly by seeing something that needs changed or they just feel isn't quite right
what drives the second type of mentality?(genuine curiosity, i want to hear why you don't like change) not calling you out specifically Jonathan...just...those like you.

Edited by KamikazeRat, 01 October 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#42 FrupertApricot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 669 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:55 PM

I just saw them do it on macross alot and thought it looked sweet and would give lights more to do in early stage of battle since you wont ******* give the Huginn a ******* ECM.

Edited by FrupertApricot, 01 October 2014 - 02:55 PM.

#43 Zensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 605 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:02 PM

2 words

arm angle

#44 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:04 PM

View PostKamikazeRat, on 01 October 2014 - 02:33 PM, said:

on all of the suggestion type threads, theres always two types of people, the changers (open minded) "hey, yeah, that could be cool or what about like this" and the status-quo (spoil sports) "no...just deal with it like it is"

the first type is driven by creativity, and possibly by seeing something that needs changed or they just feel isn't quite right
what drives the second type of mentality?(genuine curiosity, i want to hear why you don't like change) not calling you out specifically Jonathan...just...those like you.

Given a limited amount of developer resources, I'd prefer to see them work on something actually useful, instead of giving people a reason to shoot wildly into the air in the hope of hitting any part of a swarm of tiny, fast moving targets.

#45 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

View PostFrupertApricot, on 01 October 2014 - 11:07 AM, said:

the AMS is nice but it would help light mechs immensely providing support to team if they could turn their 4xmg on the enemy's missile spam. It would take lots of skill and not be super highly effective but would reduce damage if you were good at it and also use up ammo so it seems balanced. Would make light/mediums better too because fast moving torso/arms would make it easier to do.

Energy slots get TAG, missile slots get NARC, why not let ballistics interact with some support?

TAG and NARC are optional upgrades to LRM's, like ER and Ultra are optional upgrades to lasers and AC's.

If LRM's are made even more pathetic i'd want them buffed before they can be shot down.

View PostKamikazeRat, on 01 October 2014 - 02:33 PM, said:

"open minded" or "spoil sports" lol. I guess we know which you are :P

Know what would be cool? If people learn to play the game instead of trying to nerf an already bad weapon.

#46 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostSergeant Random, on 01 October 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

How much missiles can an LBX 10 stop?

View PostKamikazeRat, on 01 October 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

between 0 and 10....probably more towards 0

Thx. Ur ryt... It will be a long while before I try that again.

#47 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:20 PM

View PostKamikazeRat, on 01 October 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

ok, help me with this, does the game not track LRMs as individual objects? and does the AMS not shoot at them one by one? is the line of AMS fire not ACTUALLY shooting it?

seriously...i have no idea...

I imagine that AMS just works as a matter of percentages. The thing is auto-aiming, so a certain percentage of missiles within range will get hit. A machine gun or laser for anti-missile work? The game has a hard time tracking Spider and Firestarter torsos--imagine it trying to figure out if you hit a tiny missile going 160m/s.

#48 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

View PostAsyres, on 01 October 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

Given a limited amount of developer resources, I'd prefer to see them work on something actually useful, instead of giving people a reason to shoot wildly into the air in the hope of hitting any part of a swarm of tiny, fast moving targets.

Developer resources doesn't make it any less of a good idea...it just puts it a ways down on the priority list.

View PostWolfways, on 01 October 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

TAG and NARC are optional upgrades to LRM's, like ER and Ultra are optional upgrades to lasers and AC's.

If LRM's are made even more pathetic i'd want them buffed before they can be shot down.

"open minded" or "spoil sports" lol. I guess we know which you are :P

Know what would be cool? If people learn to play the game instead of trying to nerf an already bad weapon.

yeah, i am definitly a "what if" type of person, in all things....

See "L2P" isnt a good enough argument for me, but "nerfing LRMs" is a valid concern. "L2P" isn't helpful, "don't nerf lrms" adds to the discussion

which, i would say with the ECM rework that is potentially on the table...see how that settles out, and then maybe this?

View PostSergeant Random, on 01 October 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

Thx. Ur ryt... It will be a long while before I try that again.

hehe, sorry...couldn't help myself.

Edited by KamikazeRat, 01 October 2014 - 03:44 PM.

#49 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:49 PM

View PostTuefel Hunden, on 01 October 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

Use AMS, ECM, Radar Deprivation, and terrain. They actually work.

And whats the cost in games played, Cbills and xp to get all that? Its like 6million cbills for the radar dep and 15KXp to unlock it. ECm and AMS, that only goes on some mech variants......terrain, its shotty at best. ive hidden behind hills that tower over my mech and still been hammered by missiles.....

#50 PictishWolf

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 69 posts
  • LocationOH

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 01 October 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

... detonate all or some portion of an opponent's missiles right as they launch.

&

(If you haven't seen TheB33f's other videos, you've been missing out. His impression of "Cookie Monster w/ French accent" is dead on. JK!)

#51 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

View PostKamikazeRat, on 01 October 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

yeah, i am definitly a "what if" type of person, in all things....

I don't consider someone who thinks that those who don't want change are just spoil sports as very open minded.

See "L2P" isnt a good enough argument for me, but "nerfing LRMs" is a valid concern. "L2P" isn't helpful, "don't nerf lrms" adds to the discussion

which, i would say with the ECM rework that is potentially on the table...see how that settles out, and then maybe this?

Learning how to avoid the majority of LRM fire has been explained over and over on the forums. Because some people would like to see LRM's nerfed because they think an underpowered weapon is overpowered is a L2P situation imo.

#52 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:03 PM

View PostKamikazeRat, on 01 October 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

Developer resources doesn't make it any less of a good idea...

It also doesn't make it any more of a good idea. Which it isn't.

#53 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:29 PM

View PostSergeant Random, on 01 October 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

Lights need a quirk that will help them evade LRMs while shooting them, Matrix style.

http://mwomercs.com/...ad/page__st__20

Lights need a quirk that will help them evade LRMs while shooting them, Matrix style.

http://mwomercs.com/...ad/page__st__20

Haters gonna hate.

Edited by Sergeant Random, 01 October 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#54 Eddrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:49 PM

View PostFut, on 01 October 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

It's actually not a bad idea, but it raises a question - why couldn't lasers also **** down missiles then?

http://www.sarna.net...-Missile_System

An AMS uses an MG to shoot down Missiles. A Laser AMS uses a Pulse laser to shoot down Missiles.

Allowing a weapon MG or Pulse Laser to shoot down Missiles is more of a "Why not" then a "Why". It wouldn't matter to me either way. I prefer the "use cover" approach of defending against Missiles.

#55 Alek Ituin

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

I'd like my Lolcust 1V to be able to spray down Lurm streams and earn rewards for it. Just recycle the hit system for AMS when shooting missiles with an MG. Should be easy enough.

#56 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:19 PM

Meh, I prefer LBXs shooting down missiles. There should be a reason to use LB20X.

http://en.wikipedia....untermeasure%29

Edited by El Bandito, 01 October 2014 - 08:27 PM.

#57 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:59 PM

But I was told that an LBX 10 would do 0-10 damage to missiles! Most probably 0. *weeps in frustration*

#58 Alek Ituin

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,525 posts
  • LocationMy Lolcust's cockpit

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:07 PM

View PostSergeant Random, on 01 October 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:

But I was told that an LBX 10 would do 0-10 damage to missiles! Most probably 0. *weeps in frustration*

Proximity fuze flak shells.

10 Proxy flak shells per shot, all dem missiles are gone!

#59 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostWolfways, on 01 October 2014 - 05:00 PM, said:

I don't consider someone who thinks that those who don't want change are just spoil sports as very open minded.
oh, that was meant to be a light-hearted jab. Please don't take it seriously. I just wanted to illustrate the point that people often post either enthusiastically with ideas of change(either in agreement or not) or there are those who just post "no, better luck next time" and offer no more explanation or discussion.

Learning how to avoid the majority of LRM fire has been explained over and over on the forums. Because some people would like to see LRM's nerfed because they think an underpowered weapon is overpowered is a L2P situation imo.

I wasn't seeing this as a balance issue, but a realism one. I can see the missles. I can physically shoot them, but they are magically unharmed. But a little magic machine gun on my shoulder can hit them.

View PostAsyres, on 01 October 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

It also doesn't make it any more of a good idea. Which it isn't.

See this is the type of comment that I'm referring to (light-heartedly) as a "spoil sport" at least offer some reasoning why it's a bad idea.( I know you did earlier in the thread, just using the quote/clip as an example)

I do see how it would offer a balance issue, but if they speed up the missles and go through with the proposed changes to ECM, maybe this will work. It even increases the skill requirements for both sides of the missle.

Edited by KamikazeRat, 02 October 2014 - 07:55 AM.

#60 Tombstoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostKamikazeRat, on 02 October 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

oh, that was meant to be a light-hearted jab. Please don't take it seriously. I just wanted to illustrate the point that people often post either enthusiastically with ideas of change(either in agreement or not) or there are those who just post "no, better luck next time" and offer no more explanation or discussion.

I wasn't seeing this as a balance issue, but a realism one. I can see the missles. I can physically shoot them, but they are magically unharmed. But a little magic machine gun on my shoulder can hit them.

See this is the type of comment that I'm referring to (light-heartedly) as a "spoil sport" at least offer some reasoning why it's a bad idea.( I know you did earlier in the thread, just using the quote/clip as an example)

I do see how it would offer a balance issue, but if they speed up the missles and go through with the proposed changes to ECM, maybe this will work. It even increases the skill requirements for both sides of the missle.

Any changes to LRMs and ECM should also come with the addition of the laser AMS. personally i think the L2P argument is partially valid but not the whole story. there is room for improving game play all over. The current hide behind a building is kinda stale. positioning should matter and it does, but running across an open area shouldn't mean instant death from indirect fire.

I also agree that hatters who simple hate and not post why its a bad idea really doesn't move the conversation in a useful manner. i would love to be persuaded to your opinion. People just love to jump all over my dislike of torso twisting and calling it a gimmick. It's a gimick because not all mech can't equally benefit from that behavior.... Alpha turn right or left wait till recharge turn back.... uber skill needed... not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users