- - - - -

Why Was I Hearing "incoming Missile" Over And Over And Over With An Active (Not Countered) Ecm, Surrounded By Allies, Behind Cover?

27 replies to this topic

#1 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

They were just raining and raining down on me. The only status icon on the right was the little eye that tells me I'm under the cover of my own ECM. It was in disrupt mode. I had lots of time to check everything as they continued to come down.

Is there something I don't understand about this after 1,500 matches?

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:23 PM

TAG? UAV?

Edit: removed "NARC?" since that would counter ECM

Edited by Terciel1976, 01 October 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#3 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

I would think TAG and NARC would have shown a status icon and switched the ECM icon to the crossed out one. UAV, then? I don't see how anyone could have gotten close enough, but I guess they must have.

#4 John Wolf

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 347 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

UAV mostly.. really got to keep an eye on the sky these days.

#5 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

Odds are UAV. Yes, you really have to watch those pesky light pilots. Some do not need ECM to stay invisible, just running behind and below the IV line.

If I am running an LRM boat and see an ECM mech NARCed or under a UAV I will target those first. There are ways to make the missiles fly in a non-standard arch so that they can hit you behind cover at times. You just have to be in the right spot.

I will have to check that one out with my team.

how does the ECM marker show up when you are
  • TAGed
  • NARCed
  • UAV countered
  • BAP countered.
  • ECM countered

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

View PostFelio, on 01 October 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

I would think TAG and NARC would have shown a status icon and switched the ECM icon to the crossed out one. UAV, then? I don't see how anyone could have gotten close enough, but I guess they must have.

Negating ECM with a NARC would change the icon, but TAG doesn't shut down ECM, so it would not. I've had this happen too, and the culprit is a Light who has line of sight from somewhere, or a UAV.

Then again, there's no notice whatsoever when you're hit with a Narc beacon, so it might not trigger the ECM jam warning either. Depends on how they coded it, and I've not been paying enough attention to the game of late. =)

Edited by Void Angel, 01 October 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:31 PM

I think NARC gives you a countered ECM icon, but TAG doesn't (your allies are still ECMd if you are tagged). I don't think the UAV gives an icon either but I'm not sure, if I'm in my Kit Fox and a uav is up I have more important stuff to so than look for icons.

#8 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

Tagging someone doesn't change the ecm icon to be countered, it merely makes you targeattable. Might be a bug actually since tag SHOULD show that your ecm is ineffective. Though I also think there should be an infared tag model and a ER-tag...

Edited by Darth Futuza, 01 October 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#9 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:53 PM

A light mech standing behind you is all it takes

#10 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 01 October 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

A light mech standing behind you is all it takes

Line of sight alone isn't going to defeat ECM and allow for locks. (unless he is precisely in the doughnut of detectibility but completely unnoticed, very difficult)

#11 Kesslan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

Honestly it's one of 3 things:

UAV: Which doesn't actually show you it's countering ECM even though it does
TAG: You get no notice some one is TAGin you though your team mates I think see you are being
Dumbfire: It's quite possible to rain missiles on a target if it's in LOS and in range. Especially with ARTEMIS. The only difference is if you move the missies won't track to follow.

#12 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:01 PM

Yeah, it's possible for UAV to counter ECM without giving notice that your ECM is being countered. So far from what I've noticed the only notice you get is if the enemy equipped with ECM comes close in Disrupt Mode you'll get a Low Signal status icon. If the enemy equipped with ECM comes close in Counter Mode there will be a status icon (I forget if it's the ECM icon or the Eye icon) with a red X mark on it showing up.

TAG and NARC don't show up as a status icon on your HUD when you're affected by them but it will show up in the status display of everyone else. It's basically the "Is there something stuck in my teeth?" situation where you can't see it yourself and need someone to tell you. But if you have ECM in Disrupt Mode and someone hits you with a NARC, the NARC will be active but won't be effective unless the ECM is changed from Disrupt to Counter or the ECM is destroyed.

As for enemy UAV as someone mentioned before, the only way to tell if you're under the effects of one is to keep an eye open for the tiny disk with jets in the sky near your position that needs to be shot down.

Edited by RazorbeastFXK3, 01 October 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#13 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:36 PM

View PostFelio, on 01 October 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

Wrong, TAG and NARC do not have any sort of indicator other than LRMS raining on your head in large quantities with no way for you to break lock. You normally have to be told by a team mate.

Edited by Vanguard319, 01 October 2014 - 05:36 PM.

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

View PostKesslan, on 01 October 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Dumbfire: It's quite possible to rain missiles on a target if it's in LOS and in range. Especially with ARTEMIS. The only difference is if you move the missies won't track to follow.

I didn't think dumbfired LRMs triggered the incoming missiles warning - I think it's tied to the lockon mechanic

#15 Kesslan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:36 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 01 October 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

I didn't think dumbfired LRMs triggered the incoming missiles warning - I think it's tied to the lockon mechanic

Well it might not trigger anymore, I'm not 100% sure but I know I've had it trigger in the past when they've been fired at me without a lock. I haven't played around with that for a while though.

#16 C91

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 116 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

It seems to be some new kind of bug. A buddy and myself were able to lock on a Spider with missiles while we just "saw" the Mech visually, without it beeing shown as a radar signature or shown as HUD target (and no, we didn't use BAP). We both were like "WTF is going on?" but we missed to make some screenshots.

Same happened to me a few times now with my Uller, standing behind a building and got spammed with Missiles while I wasn't NARC'd, tagged, countered by enemy ECM or UAV (my buddies in TS confirmed that). ECM cover for my mates was still active.

This kinda sucks cuz it just happens from time to time and I haven't found a way to reproduce it :(

Edited by c91, 01 October 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:30 PM

Locked missiles that come in, even if they are not locked on you if the path is likely to hit you will signal the "incoming missiles." As I ran in front of a mech within an ECM field of someone else's, missiles that were going at the person I was running in front of (as I sped by at 129 kph) and never strayed toward me stated "Warning: Incoming missile" but no missiles came for me, they slammed into him.

I have noticed that even without UAVs, however, it seems like NARCs must be in use yet no NARCs are visible.

On a side note: Streaks and LRMs lock onto enemy UAVs. I think that's pretty cool, helps in finding them.

#18 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:02 AM

TAG pierces your UAV.

UAVs allow you to get locks though ECM, it just takes a long time to lock.

UAV is the more likely option though, they're everywhere.

#19 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:07 AM

Tag or UAV are the only things I can think of. Everything else I'm pretty sure would show your ECM as offline. But those two may not.

#20 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:18 AM

I'd just like to point out, TAG and UAV don't actually counter ECM, they just make ECM-protected 'Mechs targetable. The ECM still functions, and it still causes the person trying to achieve LRM lock to have to wait for the extended-lock-time that ECM provides (because, again, the ECM is still actually active).

As for the OP - almost assuredly a UAV. If you're ever in a situation where you're being lit up with LRMs, and you can't see how the enemy team possibly has a lock on you, 99% of the time it's a UAV. People just rarely think to look up in the air to see if there's one up.

Edited by DEMAX51, 02 October 2014 - 07:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users