Language

52 replies to this topic

#21 occusoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 452 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

NO!
Dont nerf language. Chat can already be disabled. Add an OPTIONAL language filter those who want it.

I dont use any bad language in chat or regular conversations but dont bother reading/hearing it. In fact, at some point it starts to amuse me ;). Especially ragequits and rant about the own teams skills.
Swearing, "thats what she said" and "your-mom" talk are more or less part of online gaming. MWO has a very mature community and really tame chat compared to other games.

Imagin, for example, George Carlin without bad language. Not the same. Really not.
Just hope your kids dont discover his shows on youtube ;).

Edited by occusoj, 01 October 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#22 Kell Commander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 537 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:28 PM

Banning accounts is not the action that should be taken when a simple profanity filter is all that's required to solved the problem. Most games have them with toggle options. Easy fix.

#23 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:29 PM

What about a simple solution like a clear chat window hotkey? See a word, clear the window. Child doesn't have time to analyse/formulate questions, passess through their mind quickly otherwise.

#24 Abaddonis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

View PostATTAKHAN666, on 01 October 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

fair comments, and i agree with most, bad parent, nope, try being one one day

Spare us your self righteous parent spiel. This is not the land of 13 year old internet warriors.

It's acceptable for your child to watch wanton violence, but salty language is reprehensible to the degree of banning accounts? You're the problem here.

Rethink your sense of entitlement. The world doesn't revolve around your misguided sense of morals.

#25 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

I agree with you to a point OP. I really think some of the guys I have played with and against are a special kind of class. The only ones that I really shake my head at are the ones who out right attack other players with the words you stated. Do I think they should be banned because of their potty Hand? NO, I don't. Put a filter in place for the ones that are that immature, but this game is adult in nature and many adults with out virgin eyes play it. (OH yeah, they already have given us the option of clicking chat off. In fact, I think they made the enemy chatter defaulted to "off".) Problem solved ;)

I had one player claim he screen shot me saying, " My Monkey touched me." and I needed to be prepared to be banned because of typing that. He claimed he was reporting me after the game. We had a player on the other team with the name, "My teacher touched me" so I typed that.

I have also seen the kind of players you are talking about, and the things that they type. As sad as it is to see some players saying and typing those things, this is a game that many adults play. Some are less mature than others, welcome to the internet and online gaming.

Its funny to me that my ex's 15 year old plays XBOX titles, and the in game chat on his games seems to have more of the kind of less than mature players that you are offended by then MWO has.

IMO, banning is not the way to handle these types.

Ever hear the phase, Kill them with kindness? :ph34r:

Btw.... Most of the guys that I have seen talk like that, pi$$ enough players off, they become a priority targets. Some start team killing, so they will be gone one way or another.

Out of all the games I have played in the last year and a half, I might be able to count on one hand the players that have acted this way. I have a lot of drops in the last year, and that = a pretty decent player base around here. The majority of pilots here are decent given the fact of playing a game with a well established adult base of 21+.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 01 October 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#26 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

So I take it this is the OP's first week on the internet.

#27 oneproduct

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:51 PM

View PostAbaddonis, on 01 October 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

Spare us your self righteous parent spiel. This is not the land of 13 year old internet warriors.

It's acceptable for your child to watch wanton violence, but salty language is reprehensible to the degree of banning accounts? You're the problem here.

Rethink your sense of entitlement. The world doesn't revolve around your misguided sense of morals.

How about the laws that govern us which are based on commonly accepted morals?

Tex. Penal Code Ann. §§ 42.01(a)(1), 49.02(a) (West Supp. 2007) concerning disorderly conduct. The statute provides: “a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly: (1) uses abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar language in a public place.”

People have been ticketed for swearing in public places. You can look it up.

I get that it's the Internet but it'd be nice to make it a nice place. Sooner or later when anonymity and being irreproachable on the Internet starts to fade away, which it undoubtedly will in the future, attitudes will change. But until then, why wait?

And since I've played Civilization and have got to enjoy some of the fabulous quotes: "I have gained this from philosophy, that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law."

So be a nice guy because it's a nice thing to do, not because you have to do it.

A profanity filter would be nice.
Automatic deduction of CBills and/or XP every time the profanity filter catches you would be very interesting, though there would be a few false positives I'm sure.
Banning is probably too much unless someone is really a repeat offender. A day or two of account suspension if everyone ends up reporting you could work.

Edited by oneproduct, 01 October 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#28 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:05 PM

My suggestion is if you don't want your children to see foul language then don't let them play violent video games.

#29 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:06 PM

View Postoneproduct, on 01 October 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

Tex. Penal Code Ann. §§ 42.01(a)(1), 49.02(a) (West Supp. 2007) concerning disorderly conduct. The statute provides: “a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly: (1) uses abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar language in a public place.”

I get that it's the Internet but it'd be nice to make it a nice place. Sooner or later when anonymity and being irreproachable on the Internet starts to fade away, which it undoubtedly will in the future, attitudes will change. But until then, why wait?

And since I've played Civilization and have got to enjoy some of the fabulous quotes: "I have gained this from philosophy, that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law."

So be a nice guy because it's a nice thing to do, not because you have to do it.

A profanity filter would be nice.
Automatic deduction of CBills and/or XP every time the profanity filter catches you would be very interesting, though there would be a few false positives I'm sure.
Banning is probably too much unless someone is really a repeat offender. A day or two of account suspension if everyone ends up reporting you could work.

It's good that civ has excellent historical quotes.

Here, let me quote some of the more flavorful historical quotes from MWO.

ggclose.
LORD XYZ, ggclose
SQUAWK!
**** you, I'm the captain.
[redacted]
[seriously serious redacted]
This is why we can't have nice things.
Go back to the steeringwheel underhive.

And that's all the ones you can type on the forum, as everything else is sailor worthy. That's just how MWO is. So PGI can ban everybody for partaking in the old man community, or the super soft players leave for something more child friendly.

Like counter-strike, call of duty, LoL, and I hear dota also has a very friendly community that embraces players. MWO's one of the friendliest communities on the internet.

#30 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:13 PM

I have to agree with the OP. It takes effort to type out profanity or a profane remark and it doesn't help anyone. Those that use any kind of profanity lack the imagination and vocabulary to come up with a better insult in my opinion. Someone the other night told me to "Lick a dead rat". I like it. It's negative and shows their distaste for me without resorting to profanity. Should we ban their accounts? No, let's put in a profanity filter. If people try to creatively get around a profanity filter by maybe spelling curse words with symbols or whatever, THEN ban their accounts.

#31 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:17 PM

View PostTastian, on 01 October 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

I have to agree with the OP. It takes effort to type out profanity or a profane remark and it doesn't help anyone. Those that use any kind of profanity lack the imagination and vocabulary to come up with a better insult in my opinion. Someone the other night told me to "Lick a dead rat". I like it. It's negative and shows their distaste for me without resorting to profanity. Should we ban their accounts? No, let's put in a profanity filter. If people try to creatively get around a profanity filter by maybe spelling curse words with symbols or whatever, THEN ban their accounts.

Has it really come to this? If it hasn't yet, would we really want it to? Censorship kinda sucks.

#32 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:17 PM

View PostSaxie, on 01 October 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

Im kinda with the op on a Language filter.

Considering that a few patches ago, we got a chat filter for ALL chats (global, team, AND lance)... I'm not sure how much you can shelter them further outside of being literally right next to them covering their eyes.

While chat censorship could be implemented by PGI further (like a list of filtered words, like in the forums), it's hard to avoid reality and embrace that those words exist. Better to teach your kids not to use it, regardless of the context, instead of trying to blind them to the uncontainable thing that is the Internet.

#33 Abaddonis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:20 PM

View Postoneproduct, on 01 October 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

Salty language is nearly the last thing you should be worried about other humans doing in your presence. This is a T-rated game. 10 year old children shouldn't be playing or watching it. Why? The violent nature of the game and the uncontrollable aspects of the internet.

It's not PGI's job to make sure a 10 year old is safe. The game is properly rated. It is the job of the parent to police what their children are are exposed to. Don't like salty language? Don't put your child at risk of exposure. It's absolutely hypocritical to want players banned for saying **** while killing each other. Killing each other. Killing each other. The OP is exposing his/her child to this stuff and is attempting to hold PGI accountable for it.

#34 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:24 PM

You literally have an option to filter which chat channels you see since recently, so if you don't want your kid reading then don't leave chat on, you can change this in the game's settings now.

Need to have chat on to communicate with people but your kid is watching? Well, either go do something else or, preferably, deal with it.

#35 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

https://answers.yaho...22184320AAWSGw6

#36 Randodan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

Entitled parents.... yikes.

#37 elismallz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:30 PM

I dont see what the hub bub is. Put in a profanity filter with a toggle in options. Everybody's happy.

#38 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

View PostLauLiao, on 01 October 2014 - 04:27 PM, said:

This game is rated "T" for Teen. You're a horrible parent.

TEEN
Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language.

Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB" - Warns those who intend to play the game online about possible exposure to chat (text, audio, video) or other types of user-generated content (e.g., maps, skins) that have not been considered in the ESRB rating assignment

Straight off the ESRB website. OP needs to Harden up.

Edit: Cut and Paste fail.

Edited by Stonefalcon, 01 October 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#39 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

An optional language filter would be nice. Keyword optional.

Even better: customizable. I don't care about cusswords, but I'd like to change 'dumb' into 'fine' and 'noob' into 'upstanding gentleman'.

e.g. "FINE UPSTANDING GENTLEMANS EVERYWHERE"

#40 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

http://youtu.be/q_qgVn-Op7Q

:ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users