Detect Range Based On Tonnage.

5 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you agree with these concepts (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Detection range should be based on target tonnage

1. Yes (17 votes [85.00%])

Percentage of vote: 85.00%

2. No (3 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

I also want to see Active and Passive radar modes

1. Yes (18 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

2. No (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

I agree with this concept for ECM

1. Yes (11 votes [55.00%])

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

2. No (9 votes [45.00%])

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:11 PM

Currently, all mechs have the ability to detect one another from 800m. This does not bode well for the lighter scout mechs, trying to remain undetected, whilst spotting the enemy. As such it hinders the role warfare element of the game.

I propose using the established quirk system to provide a tonnage based modifier to detection range, missile lock times, lock decay time, and info gathering time.

What this would mean is that the Locust, and any other 20t mech added to the game, would be able to get closer, maybe as close as 5-600m, before even showing on sensors. As an extremely light mech, it would also be able to avoid missile fire more effectively.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, Assault 100 tonners would be detectable from further away, 1000m maybe, and missile locks would be quicker to achieve, and slower to break.

Naturally, mechs that are known for stealth or having advanced sensors would get quirks that modify these values, the RVN, for example, is known for both these traits, and may have detectable range more suited to a 25t mech, and boosted performance when fitted with BAP.

Of course, this could be expanded to include toggle settings for Active/Passive radar, a related concept that I personally advocate.

Also, with the functionality of ECM currently under discussion, I feel this system could incorporate a renewed version of ECM, with the following features:
-Slows but does NOT prevent missile lock
-Instead of reducing detect range of friendlies under bubble to a fixed range, halves their individual ranges.
-"Low signal" on enemy mechs, halves sensor range of affected enemy, and prevents target sharing.

#2 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:27 AM

ECM is the only defense against LRM-ageddon

#3 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

This whole suggestion is for a more granular information warfare element. By providing a force more options to control their visibility on sensors, the need for ECM as an all-in-one (and OP) protective element diminishes, and it's abilities can be scaled back to preserve balance and bring it back to the capabilities it was originally envisioned with.

#4 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

View PostGryphorim, on 02 October 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

This whole suggestion is for a more granular information warfare element. By providing a force more options to control their visibility on sensors, the need for ECM as an all-in-one (and OP) protective element diminishes, and it's abilities can be scaled back to preserve balance and bring it back to the capabilities it was originally envisioned with.

If you say so, can't say I've seen much balance in this game...
Seems to be whoever gripes the longest and loudest gets what they want.

#5 ExAstris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

I would love to see ECM's 'radar block' be a percentage modifier to a more interactive set of variables that determine lock range. For example, light scout mechs using passive sensors and ECM would have a standard detectability range much like current ECM provides (200-250m). However, another enemy running active sensors inside their allies' bubble could still be locked up at 400m or more.

Conversely, mechs with sensor bonuses (as quirks, modules, and/or equipment) could all increase those ranges. So a sensor quirked Locust with BAP and the sensor range module might be able to detect a passive ecm light at 500m or an un-ecm'd whale running active sensors at 2km.

Far more dynamic, interesting, and balanceable than the current hardlocked detection range of 200m (except the sensor range boost module, which is an inexplicable exception).

*all numbers for example only*

#6 Skoren

• Pip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Innersphere

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:49 PM

I really like this idea. This would make non ECM lights able to scout and ambush better and would be more inline with how radar works in real life now. Bigger the mech the easier it is to spot. Also with the new quirk system making a DDC for example have a lower radar signature then another atlas. Also make it so the ECM like you suggest reduce the detection range of another mech by 25%-50% (maybe add an ECM suite module to make it 50% from 25%) would be a really good idea. This would also open up options like stealth armor that you could equip to you mech instead of standard or Ferro to reduce the silhouette further.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users