Dxgi_Error_Device

22 replies to this topic

#1 Namicus

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:03 PM

Anyone else getting frequent crashes to desktop with the above error message? I have an nvidea gtx570. I used DDU to remove my graphics driver and installed the latest updated driver. I'm still getting frequent crashes - about every 10 minutes. I don't have the same issue in any other games I play.

#2 Namicus

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:47 PM

So I ran sfc /scannow as an administrator and it did repair an error. I didn't have issues until this patch and I crashed again. Ran sfc /scannow again and it didn't find any errors. Nobody else is having this issue or has a suggestion?

#3 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:25 PM

Greetings,

- This error may be an issue with the graphics driver code and the application code conflicting.
- having the latest and greatest Graphics driver may not always be the best solution, a listed stable version is much better.
- The new driver has many settings within the Nvidia control panel window and some of these setting may actually conflict with what the application is trying to present. Check your 'manage 3D settings' tab for the global settings and then if MWO was detected and what if any changes were made.
(latest Nvidia drivers added a whole 'virtual reality settings' event, # of frames CPU can use before GPU is tasked. Check that.)

That error code is 'incomplete' what is the last work of the code? Hung, removed, reset?

From Microsoft:

Investigating the cause of device removed errors

Repeat issues with DXGI device removed errors can indicate that your graphics code is creating invalid conditions during a drawing routine. It can also indicate a hardware failure or a bug in the graphics driver. To investigate the cause of device removed errors, call ID3D11Device::GetDeviceRemovedReason before releasing the Direct3D device. This method returns one of six possible DXGI error codes indicating the reason for the device removed error:
  • DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG: The graphics driver stopped responding because of an invalid combination of graphics commands sent by the app. If you get this error repeatedly, it is a likely indication that your app caused the device to hang and needs to be debugged.
  • DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED: The graphics device has been physically removed, turned off, or a driver upgrade has occurred. This happens occasionally and is normal; your app or game should recreate device resources as described in this topic.
  • DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET: The graphics device failed because of a badly formed command. If you get this error repeatedly it may mean that your code is sending invalid drawing commands.
  • DXGI_ERROR_DRIVER_INTERNAL_ERROR: The graphics driver encountered an error and reset the device.
  • DXGI_ERROR_INVALID_CALL: The application provided invalid parameter data. If you get this error even once, it means that your code caused the device removed condition and must be debugged.
  • S_OK: Returned when a graphics device was enabled, disabled, or reset without invalidating the current graphics device. For example, this error code can be returned if an app is using Windows Advanced Rasterization Platform (WARP) and a hardware adapter becomes available.
The page link: http://msdn.microsof...s/dn458383.aspx

- Here is the complete list and reasons for this error:
http://msdn.microsof...s/bb509553.aspx

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 08 October 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#4 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

I can't run max graphics even if my system has the power because of these errors. Try lowering your settings to medium or lower.

#5 InVerbatim

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 17 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:49 PM

Crashing here since this patch too. Was fine last patch. Nothing changed on my system except the patch.

#6 Namicus

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:21 PM

View Post9erRed, on 08 October 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

Greetings,

- This error may be an issue with the graphics driver code and the application code conflicting.
- having the latest and greatest Graphics driver may not always be the best solution, a listed stable version is much better.
- The new driver has many settings within the Nvidia control panel window and some of these setting may actually conflict with what the application is trying to present. Check your 'manage 3D settings' tab for the global settings and then if MWO was detected and what if any changes were made.
(latest Nvidia drivers added a whole 'virtual reality settings' event, # of frames CPU can use before GPU is tasked. Check that.)

That error code is 'incomplete' what is the last work of the code? Hung, removed, reset?

From Microsoft:

Investigating the cause of device removed errors

Repeat issues with DXGI device removed errors can indicate that your graphics code is creating invalid conditions during a drawing routine. It can also indicate a hardware failure or a bug in the graphics driver. To investigate the cause of device removed errors, call ID3D11Device::GetDeviceRemovedReason before releasing the Direct3D device. This method returns one of six possible DXGI error codes indicating the reason for the device removed error:
  • DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG: The graphics driver stopped responding because of an invalid combination of graphics commands sent by the app. If you get this error repeatedly, it is a likely indication that your app caused the device to hang and needs to be debugged.
  • DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED: The graphics device has been physically removed, turned off, or a driver upgrade has occurred. This happens occasionally and is normal; your app or game should recreate device resources as described in this topic.
  • DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET: The graphics device failed because of a badly formed command. If you get this error repeatedly it may mean that your code is sending invalid drawing commands.
  • DXGI_ERROR_DRIVER_INTERNAL_ERROR: The graphics driver encountered an error and reset the device.
  • DXGI_ERROR_INVALID_CALL: The application provided invalid parameter data. If you get this error even once, it means that your code caused the device removed condition and must be debugged.
  • S_OK: Returned when a graphics device was enabled, disabled, or reset without invalidating the current graphics device. For example, this error code can be returned if an app is using Windows Advanced Rasterization Platform (WARP) and a hardware adapter becomes available.
The page link: http://msdn.microsof...s/dn458383.aspx

- Here is the complete list and reasons for this error:
http://msdn.microsof...s/bb509553.aspx

9erRed

Thanks for the reply 9erRed. So the error code I get is DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. Any suggestions on what to do next? I have run the repair tool many times to no avail (even though it finds and repairs errors)

Check your 'manage 3D settings' tab for the global settings and then if MWO was detected and what if any changes were made.

I opened the nvidea control panel as you suggested, but not sure what I was supposed to do once it was opened.

I'm almost ready to dump this game because I'm sick of the crashing. Happens every time I play now. No other games I play have issues.

#7 Ghost of Kyiv

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:06 PM

Same card and same problem. It use to happen every now and then now its happening all the time.

#8 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:29 PM

Is your graphics card factory (or manually, by you) overclocked? If it is, it's likely not stable at its overclocked speed in MW:O. The driver crashes and reloads itself, which is what causes the "device removed" error. You can alleviate the problem by using a graphics card overclocking program (Afterburner, Precision X, or others) to down-clock your card.

#9 Namicus

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 07 November 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

Is your graphics card factory (or manually, by you) overclocked? If it is, it's likely not stable at its overclocked speed in MW:O. The driver crashes and reloads itself, which is what causes the "device removed" error. You can alleviate the problem by using a graphics card overclocking program (Afterburner, Precision X, or others) to down-clock your card.

Thanks for the feedback. The card is factory. Even if wasn't, there's no way I'd downgrade just to make this game work. I have no problems with all the other games I play.

PGI was being very helpful via a ticket I submitted. Gave some premium time and everything for the pain this has caused. But I haven't heard anything back in a couple weeks now and I still crash often.

#10 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:47 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 07 November 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

If overclocking was the problem he'd have errors in his other games.
Op i'd suggest a fresh install.

#11 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:32 PM

View PostNamicus, on 04 December 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

Thanks for the feedback. The card is factory. Even if wasn't, there's no way I'd downgrade just to make this game work. I have no problems with all the other games I play.

You didn't answer my question. Is it overclocked from the factory? If it is, try down-clocking it.

If it's a factory-overclocked card (for instance, an EVGA GTX 570 SuperClocked or something similar) and the overclock is causing the problem, there is absolutely nothing PGI can do to help you.

Don't overlook something that might be the answer just because of pure stubbornness. "I don't like that answer, so that must not be the problem" never solved anything.

View PostKharnZor, on 04 December 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

Not necessarily. No two games are alike in their exact usage of each GPU's features. I've had overclocks 100% stable for every single game/program I have, except one. And for different GPUs, it was a different game that caused problems.

I'm an expert overclocker, and have been doing it for over 10 years now. If a graphics driver crashes, the first thing I look to is the graphics card itself. Is it overheating? Is it overclocked?

"No other game crashes" isn't a valid reason to discount the graphics card being the problem.

#12 Namicus

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:27 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 04 December 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

Don't overlook something that might be the answer just because of pure stubbornness. "I don't like that answer, so that must not be the problem" never solved anything.

Wow. Thanks for the help despite my pure stubbornness.

The card is factory and is not overclocked.

It looks like others are running into this problem as well. LINK (post #111 shows the exact message I get)
It seems to only be occurring with nvidea cards as far as I can tell.

View PostKharnZor, on 04 December 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

I thought that might help too. Unfortunately a clean install was the first thing I tried, and it didn't do anything.

Edited by Namicus, 05 December 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#13 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:10 PM

Greetings,

Look under the Nvidia control panel, manage 3D settings.
- You'll see two tabs, Global and Program settings.

Under the global tab are the everything default settings, what's set here is 'across the board' for all items using video.
- Only as a sample I'll include a screen cap of what my settings are, if you mouse over the specific setting there will be a description presented at the bottom of the box explaining what it's for or does.
- You may have some different setting available for a higher or lower version card.
(specifically check the 'power management mode' and select 'Max performance', this is a power throttle for the vid card if it's not being tasked while the CPU is busy.)

Latest Nvidia driver installed is ver. 344.75

There are higher values for some of my settings but MWO is stable and runs great with these.
- the second tab is specifically for altering single programs from the default setting, increasing or decreasing the original settings.
- this tab will find the programs that are installed and use video 'enhancements', if not you can add them.

here's the shots:
Posted Image
Posted Image

(you can ignore the multi monitor setting if you're only on 1. I run 3.)

The full explanation of what the different settings do can be found in the driver notes, apparently not a lot of people really read these. (who would have thought?)
Find that here:
http://us.download.n...start-guide.pdf

This may help in understanding what is happening, but this needs to be a PGI code insertion within there game code. Here's the reason for that error and the code required to fix it.
http://msdn.microsof...s/dn458383.aspx
(information only as the client can't use the code to fix the problem.)

See if any of this assists,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 05 December 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#14 Jimon

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:36 AM

Been having the same issue. I used 9erReds settings from above and was able to play for ~2hrs before it crashed the same way. Before that I was crashing every 15 minutes.

#15 Draconous

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:45 PM

Hi,

Yep I have been getting this same damn device_removed issue... carshes every 2nd match. I tried using the settings listed above but make no difference at this unfortunately. I'm almost ready to give up on this game at this point. :-(

#16 Draconous

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:22 PM

View PostJesus DIED for me, on 11 December 2014 - 11:54 PM, said:

One other thing I can suggest, though I didn't do it personally (yet), is for you to try uninstalling the latest drivers from NVidia and installing a driver that is a few generations old--maybe 300.xx or something similar. You can find old NVidia drivers by googling or if you saved old versions (like I did) you can just use that up. (Since your card is relatively old it wouldn't make a difference in drivers detecting your card properly but it just might give you the fix to the problem?) I am pretty sure it's MWO originated, but, it maybe playing badly with the new drivers from NVidia as well. After that, I don't know what to say but to wait for a fix from either/or NVidia/MWO. Some people complain that the Community Warfare frame rate is terrible, so that may have something to do with that (for the last 2 patches). I don't know for sure myself. Also, google up iObit program called "Driver Booster" and update your drivers (it's free) and see if that helps.

Thanks for the info :-)

I just updated my card to the gtx970 today so i will gove it a go and see what happens. I think I read that other 970 owners are having the same problem so im not overly optermistic as I think you are dead right... its a driver conflic with MWO specifiacally. I that fails i might hibernate my mechs until the devs fix the issue as it looks like its not an isolated problem.

Once again thanks for the advice :-)
Cheers

#17 Namicus

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:13 PM

I have tried everything posted so far in this thread minus using older drivers. Thanks all, for the feedback but unfortunately it hasn't fixed the crashing. I'll keep others in the loop regarding PGI's responses to my ticket (haven't heard from them for awhile). If others have suggestions, I'm all ears...

#18 Frostyle

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBudapest

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:18 AM

Hi,

Maybe your problem has already solved and it's useless now, but it may comes handy.

What you wrote down is quite good but the problem is not the driver or power management.
There is a little JAVA worm which is chew trough himself into JAVA main system and try to reach
as many JAVA programs as possible. While doing this, that little worms first landing pad is DirectX
(when you start your PC this is one of the first program which loading in with "VGA" driver).
So this **** will **** up your JAVA, DirectX, D3D, etc. May your Anti-virus program catch this worm
and "solve" infection but it already made some damage in sub systems what can't be repair.

You have to delete DirectX and "VGA" driver but firstly "VGA" and install on older one.
(You'll use the newest one after you finish the whole "turn").

I'M PLAYING ON LAPTOP SO IT'S LAPTOP GRAPHIC DRIVER. If you have destop choose that type.
http://www.geforce.c...s/results/81456

Before second stage, use your Anti-Virus program with Heuristic search method and start a deep or full scan.
If it's find something clean your PC from it. It may takes several hours but don't skip it please.

Now hard part:
DirectX is only avalaible in Windows Update but you already got this update so you have to delete it firstly.
Go to Contorl Panel, click on Program and Services and Installed Updates.
Choose your Windows (7/8.1)
https://support2.mic...kb/179113/en-us

If you have Win 7 you need KB2670838 and select 32bit (x86) or 64bit
http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=36805
Delete it first, reboot, and install again and reboot again.

If you have win 8.1, you have to use legacy Directx 9, install it (reboot), and use
Windows Update to find the newer one (11.2) because there is no standalone installer. :(
http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35

You can install the newest driver now.
Your machine is ready to play.

#19 Xeraphale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:52 AM

I have started to get this or similar errors lately from my Galax GTX970 EXOC Black edition card. It happens semi-regularly in MWO and it's happened once when I play Evolve. The card is factory overclocked.

However, I'm pretty sure that in my case it is because I updated my card's driver lately and I will try to roll it back. It's worth noting that both of these games are based on the Cryengine and it might be something to do with that. Probably the new Nvidia driver doesn't play well with Cryengine.

EDIT: OK, so rolling back the drivers didn't help but it's still weird that it should happen after the new Nvidia drivers came out.

Edited by Xeraphale, 11 March 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#20 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:45 AM

This problem used to crop up in crysis 3 and before, it even comes up in SC.

Two options for culprits are your Nvidia Drivers or Direct X : I would suggest doing a full clean install of your Nvidia Drivers http://www.guru3d.co...r-download.html

Likewise do a reinstall of direct X (preferably the full installer not the webtime one)

Lastly and this came up more than once, what brand PSU and Wattage and how old is it, several reports that the issue disappeared on using a different PSU most commonly a new one which suggest a power related issue that is causing the GPU to crash out and recover.
Some users found that underclocking the GPU removed the issue (and help point to the power issue)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users