29 replies to this topic

#1 anilator

Rookie

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 7 posts
  • Locationst louis

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:59 PM

Jester needs its up/down max increased really bad. unless someone is right in front of you u probably can't shoot them. Not that I'll use it much either way, its not quite right.

Same goes for typing on this forum, no problem anywhere else. FIX IT

#2 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:14 PM

Seems fine to me.

What's wrong with typing?

#3 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:24 PM

I get what he's saying... the torso pivot up and down is really limited. It is in general with Catapults.

His problem with the forums is likely IE11 related. Internet Explorer 11 works horribly with these forums. You can't skip lines, and text entry often skips letters. My android browser does a better job amusingly.

I'd recommend Chrome or Firefox. They work much better, on pretty much... everything.

#4 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:32 PM

Yes. Any iteration of IE should be immediately ditched and replaced with your favourite choice of Firefox or Chrome!

Unless you have a serious need for ActiveX

If you must use IE, try the site in compatibility mode

Edited by cSand, 01 October 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#5 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:47 PM

opera works too, im used to it now. IE has so many problems.... >_> you get used to it tho lol.
but for forums its propabyl utter fail.
also, play banshee once. it cant shoot up nor down at all XD
and at least 3m and 3e do not have weapons in the arms^^

#6 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:56 PM

You may also want to turn off arm lock. The Jester's arms can aim up and down just fine. Just remember that your torso is rather immobile.

You probably would like Shadow Hawks too. They have excellent torso pitch.

#7 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:05 AM

View PostGreenjulius, on 01 October 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

I get what he's saying... the torso pivot up and down is really limited. It is in general with Catapults.

His problem with the forums is likely IE11 related. Internet Explorer 11 works horribly with these forums. You can't skip lines, and text entry often skips letters. My android browser does a better job amusingly.

I'd recommend Chrome or Firefox. They work much better, on pretty much... everything.

Ah, okay then. Though I've never really had problems with the Catapult before. :P

#8 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:06 AM

Yeah more pitch for my Jester please. Not that I'd need it, but still give it more pitch pretty please.

#9 totgeboren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 357 posts
  • LocationUmeå, Sweden

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:23 AM

Hmmm... look at that. All Catapults have a 16° torso pitch, and the Jester only has a 30° arm pitch, so 46° in total. The other Catapults have a 35° arm pitch and the K2 has got a 45° arm pitch.

For the K2 you get a 61° upwards angle, almost enough to go outside of your cockpit line of sight.
I never knew the Jester was so limited there, I thought it was like the K2.

This is of course assuming you haven't locked your arms to the torso, in which case; Yeah, yo can only shoot stuff right in front of you. But who runs a Cataplut with the arms locked? That's just stupid really, since it becomes really hard to use if you do that.

Edited by totgeboren, 02 October 2014 - 12:25 AM.

#10 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:24 AM

wait for the quirk-system,this hopefully will be addressed in it.

#11 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:08 AM

PERKELEEE yeah give the banshee a quirk too.... sucks hard to aim up and down. or at least the try for it :D

#12 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:23 AM

View PostcSand, on 01 October 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

Yes. Any iteration of IE should be immediately ditched and replaced with your favourite choice of Firefox or Chrome!

Unless you have a serious need for ActiveX

If you must use IE, try the site in compatibility mode

Compatibility mode does nothing for this website in regards to IE. To fix the typing lag and inability to quote you have to change the editing mode in the reply editor(light switch in top left corner)

The Jester has other benefits (JJ, twist, speed).

#13 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:29 AM

Catapult was designed to be a lurm mech with back up.

Soon as you start messing with it, K2, Jester, fotm meta you have to take the rough with the smooth, as they were never designed to be gun mechs.

Canon gets deviated from to much, just because of complaints, then it stops even resembling mechwarrior, and becomes genetric robots

Is it really up to E11 now stopped using it ages ago when I discovered firefox, though thats becomming annoying now with stupid Gifs on the opening screen

#14 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:53 AM

View PostCathy, on 02 October 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

--
Soon as you start messing with it, K2, Jester, fotm meta you have to take the rough with the smooth, as they were never designed to be gun mechs.
--

...The K2 was in fact always designed to be a gun mech. http://bte.battletec...bte/pdf/487.pdf
I don't see any LRMs on that record sheet.

The Jester isn't a canon design, but its stock build is a pure laser boat.

#15 totgeboren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 357 posts
  • LocationUmeå, Sweden

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:57 AM

View PostFupDup, on 02 October 2014 - 05:53 AM, said:

...The K2 was in fact always designed to be a gun mech. http://bte.battletec...bte/pdf/487.pdf
I don't see any LRMs on that record sheet.

The Jester isn't a canon design, but its stock build is a pure laser boat.

I think the post is ment to be read as "The Catapult was never intended as a gun mech, and that is apparent in the limitations of the K2 (and Jester), as they are a compromise at their core". Or something to that effect.

The K2 is of course a gun mech, but the Catapult was originally intended to be a second line missile mech.

Edited by totgeboren, 02 October 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#16 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:02 AM

View PostCathy, on 02 October 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

Catapult was designed to be a lurm mech with back up.

Canon gets deviated from to much, just because of complaints, then it stops even resembling mechwarrior, and becomes genetric robots

Is it really up to E11 now stopped using it ages ago when I discovered firefox, though thats becomming annoying now with stupid Gifs on the opening screen

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Catapult

The K2 is Canon ...
  • CPLT-K2 Breaking the mold of the Catapult, this House Kurita model removes the LRM-15 launchers and replaces them with two PPCs, allowing the Catapult to act as a direct fire support 'Mech and take a more active role in front line combat. The 'Mech mounts five additional single heat sinks to help dissipate the added heat from the PPCs and two Machine Guns to deter infantry attacks. Space is made by removing the jump jets and two of the medium lasers.[4][5] BV (1.0) = 1,052, BV (2.0) = 1,319[16]

Jester is a reasonable variant and there is certainly justification for direct fire weaponry in the pods instead of missiles. AC20s in the MG mounts ... perhaps not so much :)

I find the Jester does ok ... make sure arm lock is off and the pod weapons have a reasonable vertical traverse.

#17 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

To fix the Jester they need to start with fixing jump jets (and probably should also let it have more than 2 jets, thats just wrong)

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 02 October 2014 - 06:44 AM.

#18 Rizim

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

Please give the Jester an additional AMS slot, an ECM slot, and five extra tons. Also if it's mouth can open and shoot an AC20 that would make it a really fun mech.

#19 Maxx Blue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:28 AM

SInce, in my infrequent play recently, I have been working on mastering my Jester, I have to agree that the vertical traverse is tough on this mech. It wouldn't be as painful if there were more than two total harpoints in the arms, but as it is, you really have to watch yourself about getting into a fight around any sort of elevation changes or you get reduced to only two weapons. Given that the arm range is actually worse than the K2, I was hoping they would give it two energy harpoints in each arm and none in the side torsos, but that didn't happen.

With 'old' jump jets it kind of made sense because two was enough to actually do some useful jumping and help deal with mechs that were too 'high' to aim at. This made the torso weapons more useful since you could overcome some of the vertical range limitations. Now two jump jets, while technically better than one, are terrible. I only run one JJ on my Jester for a little extra mobility, but gave up on using two once JJ's got nerfed. I just couldn't get enough air quickly enough to get my torso weapons into play on targets that were 'above' me. I've considered getting rid of jets all together on my Jester, but having at least one JJ is still just useful enough that I keep one around.

Let put it this way: The two mechs I'm working on mastering right now are my Jester and an Arrow. I play both with two PPC's as their main weapons and find that, tactically speaking, I can generally use the same positions in both mechs. They both have no horizontal arm movement on their main weapons, and with a more effective number of JJ's on the Arrow, both of them have a very similar vertical 'range' in which they can hit targets. This is despite the Jester having an additonal 16 degrees of vertical arm movement. So basically, I end up playing my Jester like a 45 ton jumping medium with all its main weapons in the torso. I'd say that might be a wee bit over-nerfed at the moment.

Personally, I would prefer that they moved two of the energy hardpoints from the side torsos into the arms, but at this point I don't see that happening because it would require model changes.

Edited by Maxx Blue, 02 October 2014 - 07:30 AM.

#20 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:43 AM

View Postanilator, on 01 October 2014 - 10:59 PM, said:

JESTER NEEDS A FIX

What's it hooked on...?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users