52 replies to this topic

#1 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:10 PM

So while the rest of the forum rages on with game mechanics, bugs and balance, I'm just sitting back here, gazing fondly and sometimes frowning at the visual, immersive parts of MechWarrior. The bits that are often ignored.

I was playing around with the earlier MechWarriors today, smiling like a goof at nostalgic moments and wincing when I notice a feature that should be in MWO, when I noticed something that I've overlooked. Cockpits. Sure, I've always appreciated them, even argued they should be more immersive, but I haven't really stopped and analysed them before, not like the actual exterior designs (which actually do have an effect on gameplay).

We really haven't had proper cockpits before. That's something I've never given PGI credit for before, but they've put detail in where other games have sort of skipped over it. MW2 cockpits were unique, though very simple due to the age. MW3 did have proper, immersive cockpits that felt enclosed, but were still simplistic and not very unique. MW4 cockpits... I... don't even...

MWLL did have proper cockpits but often varied heavily on quality and detail.

But MWO has proper, fully modeled and unique cockpits. And they're awesome. They're all quite different, too. And thanks to their new, blue chair they installed on my 'Mechs, I can no longer see the rough edges behind the chair where the mesh ended.

So what are your favourites? For me, it's between the Griffin and the Vindicator. The Griffin is great for immersion- it's open, clear and you're wedged between the two side torsos.

Posted Image

The Vindicator also has that enclosed, immersive feel. The rounded shape also seems pretty unique. Though, PGI, it'd be really appreciated if you fixed the startup animation. ;)

Posted Image

Which ones do you prefer? Do you base that on whether they provide better view, or ones that visually look better? Who is actually responsible for the cockpit designs- I thought Alex only did the exterior parts of the 'Mech.

And of course, thank you PGI for putting effort into an area sorely missed by previous games in the series. :)

Edited by AUSwarrior24, 01 October 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#2 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:19 PM

Stalker, Victor, Shadowhawk.

#3 Mothykins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:34 PM

Locust; Slick sunroof. Awww yeeeah.

And the Catapult just feels home-y.

Would like to paint some of the inside of the Cockpit though...

#4 kingalbertII

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:32 AM

the HGN feels like a ships bridge
the CTF gives a nice witde view with its low instrument board
the GRF and CPLT are nice too

for some reason i feel like clan cockpits feel a bit claustriphobic

#5 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:46 AM

View PostkingalbertII, on 02 October 2014 - 12:32 AM, said:

for some reason i feel like clan cockpits feel a bit claustriphobic

That's correct per lore. Clan 'mechs weren't built for comfort, but for efficiency. Whereas Inner Sphere 'mechs often had room for a passenger in the form of a small seat behind the pilot with a safety harness but no controls (and usually no ejection capability), Clan 'mechs didn't have that design aspect due to the nature of their combat. MechWarriors were rescued from their machines after battle if they lived.

With that being said, I really like the Griffin and Wolverine cockpits.

Edited by TELEFORCE, 02 October 2014 - 12:47 AM.

#6 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:50 AM

I like the "figthing from inside a mailbox" feel of the the Shadow Hawk. I also like the Hunchback's cockpit. Both of those mechs mostly because I can see the ballistic cannon within view (well the hump for the Hunchback anyway).

I think my favorite designed cocpit is the Raven. The Raven's cockpit reminds me of a jet figther...well maybe a modern interpretation of an X-Wing cockpit lol. The Raven might be my favorite.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Honrable mention...I kind of like the Claustrophobic feel of the Locust cockpit as well.

#7 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:03 AM

Not sure, some cockpits look like McGyver built them on a junkyard, others look great. I love the spinning sphere in the Mad Dog. Its like aleady getting a free cockpit item + you can add 3 more.

and some cockpits feel too tight. Nova for example, why would someone desing the windows like that when they block vital parts of the Angle of view of a pilot. Then you have the stormcrow wich looks like a panoraa view. Thne you have cockpits where glass goes so much below the pilots FoV that I wonder why someone would put glass there anymore.

Edited by Lily from animove, 02 October 2014 - 02:07 AM.

#8 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:10 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 02 October 2014 - 02:03 AM, said:

...Then you have the stormcrow wich looks like a panoraa view. Thne you have cockpits where glass goes so much below the pilots FoV that I wonder why someone would put glass there anymore.

So you can look underneath you. Mechs in general stand fairly tall. You might need to look down and see if some ankle biter Elementals are tearing apart your underbelly.

#9 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:11 AM

StormCrow! It's like a fighter jet.

I think this game would be an awesome candidate for the Rift.

#10 ogy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 119 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:30 AM

I love the Griffin....but the supreme leader is the Black Jack ... some how it feels more real than the other cockpits, almost like someone had tried to design a style to it !

#11 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:17 AM

I've always loved the Atlas' distinctive hexagonal window. It feels both safe and roomy all at once, and gazing down upon the peons from your armored tower is always satisfying.

The Awesome's cockpit is another favorite. It feels like the bridge of a ship with its wide panorama window and lots of extra room. Clearly designed with a fire support role in mind.

#12 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:37 AM

Oddly, some of the more hideous looking mechs in MWO have some nice looking cockpits.

Despite the ugliness of the Jenner's exterior, the interior is actually pretty cool looking. The same goes for the Jager. The Jager looks like a walking brick with twig arms, but I like the cockpit in that mech as well.

There are exceptions though. The Cicada is an UGLY mech inside and out. The outside looks like a mechanized version of Baba Yaga's hut and the inside looks too...ughh.

I know this is all subjective opinion when it comes to looks, but still...Them some ugly mechs.

#13 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:40 AM

I like the Warhawk cockpit just fine.

#14 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:50 AM

I've always liked the Awesome's cockpit with the right FoV, gives you a big wide picture window that pitches fairly steeply when you make tight turns. Griffin's space helmet bubble cockpit is gorgeous.

#15 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:59 AM

Stormcrow, good visibility and the pipes around make you feel like in a buggy or gocart.

The raw metal panels in the clan cockpits remind me of russian jet fighter cockpits which I always liked.

#16 yeshim

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:37 AM

Wolverine looks great IMO

Edited by yeshim, 02 October 2014 - 06:37 AM.

#17 Abaddonis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:10 AM

Griffin - the cockpit visuals never get in the way.
Cataphract - feels like you're strapped to the front of the mech, gives the mech a kill or be killed feeling.

Edited by Abaddonis, 02 October 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#18 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

Battlemaster gets my vote for coolest cockpit. Special mention to the spinner on the Mad Dog, also the Warhawk before seat belts were installed :P

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 02 October 2014 - 03:37 AM, said:

Oddly, some of the more hideous looking mechs in MWO have some nice looking cockpits.

Despite the ugliness of the Jenner's exterior, the interior is actually pretty cool looking. The same goes for the Jager. The Jager looks like a walking brick with twig arms, but I like the cockpit in that mech as well.

There are exceptions though. The Cicada is an UGLY mech inside and out. The outside looks like a mechanized version of Baba Yaga's hut and the inside looks too...ughh.

I know this is all subjective opinion when it comes to looks, but still...Them some ugly mechs.

huh, and here I think all 3 of those are pretty cool looking mechs.

#20 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

Atlas, Summoner and Warhawk cockpicks are my favorite. Especially the Atlas cause you know you're inside the "eye"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users