21 replies to this topic

#1 Logan Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 143 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:56 PM

Just ordered one! I'm beyond stoked, now just have to wait for it to be built and shipped.... I've had one gamer bro in the past who had one and loved it. Anyone else here ever gamed with one of these? Curious to hear of any of your experiences with them.

Also, this will be my first rig running nvidia. I've always run Radeon so I feel like I'm sailing in uncharted waters a bit, but I'm also looking forward to perhaps a bit more driver stability with the GeForce.

#2 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

You will usually get better driver stability with NVidia (not to incite a Red Vs Green flamewar, I run both, in 4 rigs).

Alienware (Dell) is usually pretty good with their builds, so you should be happy with what you get.

What are your specs by chance?

-ST

#3 Logan Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

Specs:

i7-4820k 3.9 with boost
GeForce gtx 760 ti with 2 gig of gddr5
16 gigs of quad channel ddr3 @ 1600mhz
2 TB 7200 rpm sata 6gb/sec
7.1 channel audio
running on 64 bit windows 8.1

I'm not too stoked about windows 8 at all, but it was like an extra 100 bucks to have windows 7 installed on it and there were a few component conflicts as well that I would've had to swap out. Oh well, guess I just need to learn it...

All in all, it should run this game like a beast! B)

#4 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:32 PM

Just install Classic Shell, and it'll be just like Windows 7 (except even better)

#5 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:38 AM

I have an Alienware laptop. I like it a lot for what I do. My eval on the product: decent price for Pre built (you could go cheaper if you assemble a tower) with a mix of good quality components with a few mediocre.

Simple conclusion, the Alienware guys are trying to make a really cool and affordable product line and they're not far from it.

Specs aside, I love the stealth fighter look on their products. Aesthetics get A+

#6 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:40 AM

If my 750TI can get 60FPS on Med/High (PostAA) then you should be a solid 60FPS without issue.

Although I build my own , I would buy an Alienware just for the insane case alone.

Glad to see that you got a nice setup!

-ST

#7 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:38 AM

Generally one asks about a machine's quality before buying it :P

You did pretty well though, grats on the new machine :)

Windows 8 does suck in some ways, although it does net slightly better game performance than 7, and word is Windows 10 has a good chance of being a free upgrade. At the very least I imagine MS will make it a very cheap upgrade. So tough it out for now and you'll be able to get a better OS in a little bit.

#8 Logan Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:33 AM

I have done plenty of my own builds in the past, my first one ran a voodoo 3dfx graphics card with 16 megs (yes i'm seriously dating myself here)! Their are obviously pro's and con's of going prebuilt or diy, and I have had a couple diy's that were awesome. That said, I now own 2 businesses, and once I started running my business financials and whatnot on my pc's, I started going prebuilt, just for the added stability and reliability. My diy machines always had great performance, but i was always tinkering with something on them, which made them not quite as reliable. This rig will be the most high performance prebuilt that I've purchased to date, so I'm expecting good things out of it. ;)

Edited by Logan Pryde, 03 October 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#9 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostLogan Pryde, on 03 October 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

I have done plenty of my own builds in the past, my first one ran a voodoo 3dfx graphics card with 16 megs (yes i'm seriously dating myself here)! Their are obviously pro's and con's of going prebuilt or diy, and I have had a couple diy's that were awesome. That said, I now own 2 businesses, and once I started running my business financials and whatnot on my pc's, I started going prebuilt, just for the added stability and reliability. My diy machines always had great performance, but i was always tinkering with something on them, which made them not quite as reliable. This rig will be the most high performance prebuilt that I've purchased to date, so I'm expecting good things out of it. ;)

You want dated? I built a PC with the first ever 3D video card, the Vision Edge 3D 1MB card. Came with Virtua Fighter and had ports on the back for Dreamcast controllers. Not my first PC build, but first with 3D graphics. PC was a P1 100 with 32MB Ram and a 120MB Maxtor HDD. That's where I played Battletech Solaris on AOL. :P

#10 Logan Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostGolrar, on 06 October 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:

You want dated? I built a PC with the first ever 3D video card, the Vision Edge 3D 1MB card. Came with Virtua Fighter and had ports on the back for Dreamcast controllers. Not my first PC build, but first with 3D graphics. PC was a P1 100 with 32MB Ram and a 120MB Maxtor HDD. That's where I played Battletech Solaris on AOL. :P

Look out Golrar, the AARP is sending out your membership card today! :D

#11 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:30 PM

Yeah, I already get those in the mail and I am at least a decade from qualifying. :P

#12 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:09 PM

OP: I bought the high-end Alienware X51 earlier this year with about the same specs as the Aurora you ordered. You're getting a a higher clocked i7 than mine came with. I'm proud to say that I'm very pleased with my investment. I've also owned an Alienware laptop in the past that ran nicely. I'm sure the same quality will be put into your tower as was mine. It runs very quietly, and I can maintain an average FPS with very high everything, while streaming in HD, of about 50. It does have its dips from time to time when there's a lot going on (Lots of lrms landing in close range while 10 people right next to me are close-range brawling) down in the 30's and very rarely 20's.

Anywho.. I bet you're excited, the wait will be worth it!

#13 Logan Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:48 PM

View Postt Khrist, on 09 October 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

OP: I bought the high-end Alienware X51 earlier this year with about the same specs as the Aurora you ordered. You're getting a a higher clocked i7 than mine came with. I'm proud to say that I'm very pleased with my investment. I've also owned an Alienware laptop in the past that ran nicely. I'm sure the same quality will be put into your tower as was mine. It runs very quietly, and I can maintain an average FPS with very high everything, while streaming in HD, of about 50. It does have its dips from time to time when there's a lot going on (Lots of lrms landing in close range while 10 people right next to me are close-range brawling) down in the 30's and very rarely 20's.

Anywho.. I bet you're excited, the wait will be worth it!

Thanks for the info t Khrist! As the delivery date gets closer, the more eager I get, and the less pleased I am with my current machine's performance! I think my current pc is just unhappy with me right now for ordering a new one, and is giving me crappy fps because of it... :huh:

#14 Gatth

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPEI

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:17 PM

Just put together my own i7 4820k build oc at 4.6ghz with 16 gig quad channel at 1600mhz and a gtx750ti. Monitor is 60hz led. I get pretty steady 50-60 fps at 1920x1080 and maxed out settings but steam/smoke close to my cockpit is a killer, dips below 20! Thinking I should pick up at gtx 980 in a few months.

Edited by Gatth, 09 October 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#15 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

View PostGolrar, on 06 October 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:

Try upgrading your computer from 256K memory to 512K by swapping the RAM chips, LOL

#16 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:22 AM

760ti? i dont think that exists? but nice cpu they OC great if your into that

btw nvidia ftw

Edited by Summon3r, 10 October 2014 - 07:24 AM.

#17 Logan Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

View PostSummon3r, on 10 October 2014 - 07:22 AM, said:

btw nvidia ftw

quick link to the card on geforce's site: http://www.geforce.c...e-gtx-760ti-oem

thx for the heads up on the cpu, with MWO being so heavily dependent on the cpu it wouldn't be a bad idea to OC it a bit.

Edited by Logan Pryde, 10 October 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#18 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostLogan Pryde, on 10 October 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

quick link to the card on geforce's site: http://www.geforce.c...e-gtx-760ti-oem

thx for the heads up on the cpu, with MWO being so heavily dependent on the cpu it wouldn't be a bad idea to OC it a bit.

interesting, that card must come in prebuilts only as i cant seem to find it anywhere on pcpartpicker or newegg. looks nice though nice machine should easily max out MWO settings.

#19 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

View PostSummon3r, on 10 October 2014 - 07:22 AM, said:

btw nvidia ftw

Totally exits.

#20 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 09 October 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

Try upgrading your computer from 256K memory to 512K by swapping the RAM chips, LOL

Used to have a first gen Soundblaster that I added 2MB of 30 pin simms to upgrade my midi. Was able to get great beeps and boops while playing Crescent Hawk's Inception.

I bet everything in that sentence after "first gen" was like ancient Greek to a lot of people.

We should start a nostalgia thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users