Forget Transverse Make Aerotech!

21 replies to this topic

#1 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts
  • LocationClan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone.

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:41 PM

Posted Image

#2 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:16 AM

no

#3 Maggiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:30 AM

The would be very few people who'd be willing to spend money both on this and mwo.
Which means Aerotech Online or whatever would
A) fail on its own
B) Destroy Mwo
C) Split up the community and destroy both games

#4 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:06 AM

Singleplayer Mechwarrior 5 game plz.

#5 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 04 October 2014 - 10:06 AM, said:

Singleplayer Mechwarrior 5 game plz.

Singleplayer + coop + a tightened down multiplayer MW plz.

#6 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 04 October 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

Singleplayer + coop + a tightened down multiplayer MW plz.

They already have MWO, why would they waste time on a multiplayer game and compete with themselves and their own player base? Coop meh, maybe I could see, but that'd be a sort of 2ndary thing. We'd be lucky for just a singleplayer.

#7 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

Too bad Transverse uses the unreal engine, or they could make Aerotech and have it tie in with MWO. Maybe in CW you would have to win a battle in orbit before you could land mechs on the surface?

Plus, I would really like to see what Alex could do with those Aerospace fighters.

View PostMaggiman, on 04 October 2014 - 01:30 AM, said:

The would be very few people who'd be willing to spend money both on this and mwo.
Which means Aerotech Online or whatever would
A) fail on its own
B) Destroy Mwo
C) Split up the community and destroy both games

People bought gold mechs, do you think there are not people who have enough money to burn on both games?

Edited by Ed Steele, 04 October 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#8 Maggiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:02 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 04 October 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

People bought gold mechs, do you think there are not people who have enough money to burn on both games?

I really don't think there are many people who are willing to spend high amounts of money for battletech themed games but didn't spend it on mwo already. A few sure, but given that mwo isn't breaking any records that won't be enough to support another game.
And people on a budget (Read: The majority of people) would have to decide in which game to put the money. That doesn't earn pgi any extra money.

Of course there's always someone crazy enough to throw money at dream projects, but you can't finance a game with this. If nothing else Transverse showed that.

#9 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 04 October 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

They already have MWO, why would they waste time on a multiplayer game and compete with themselves and their own player base? Coop meh, maybe I could see, but that'd be a sort of 2ndary thing. We'd be lucky for just a singleplayer.

One day MWO is gonna cease to release new contents - that's how games age. And that's when they need to make a new one. And multiplayer and co-op are legit ways to pump out DLCs and keep the longevity of the game's life cycle. I for one would pay 10 dollars for every five 20-min long co-op missions.

Besides, they already have the solid core gameplay in MWO, why not take it to their next game? Activision is not ashamed to do so in Call of Duty :ph34r:

#10 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 05 October 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

One day MWO is gonna cease to release new contents - that's how games age. And that's when they need to make a new one. And multiplayer and co-op are legit ways to pump out DLCs and keep the longevity of the game's life cycle. I for one would pay 10 dollars for every five 20-min long co-op missions.

Besides, they already have the solid core gameplay in MWO, why not take it to their next game? Activision is not ashamed to do so in Call of Duty :ph34r:

Sure but MWO is an MMO, if it dies PGI is likely going down with it.

#11 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:34 PM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 05 October 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

Sure but MWO is an MMO, if it dies PGI is likely going down with it.

There will be signs when a MMO dev dies - contents stop coming out, dev being MIA, etc, etc. PGI right now is very much alive and well. Just look at how fast they're pumping out new mechs! Four Clan mechs in the coming month, King Crab plus another IS Assault and heavy up the pipeline.

Unless they make some stupid business decisions with their next game - like Transverse - PGI should be able to make another title. Just look at Hi-Rez: they started out with Global Agenda, which is a rather niche MMO, then thrived on Tribes: Ascend, which just like MWO is also a niche shooter, and now their primary title is Smite. I don't think PGI is gonna do much worse than them.

#12 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 05 October 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

There will be signs when a MMO dev dies - contents stop coming out, dev being MIA, etc, etc. PGI right now is very much alive and well. Just look at how fast they're pumping out new mechs! Four Clan mechs in the coming month, King Crab plus another IS Assault and heavy up the pipeline.

Unless they make some stupid business decisions with their next game - like Transverse - PGI should be able to make another title. Just look at Hi-Rez: they started out with Global Agenda, which is a rather niche MMO, then thrived on Tribes: Ascend, which just like MWO is also a niche shooter, and now their primary title is Smite. I don't think PGI is gonna do much worse than them.

Yeah I'm not saying they're dying, I'm just saying if MWO went down, it would be a bad sign. It hasn't gone down though, so everythings still good.

#13 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

MWO is doing fine. I would play both MWO and Aerotech if they ever made Aerotech. Just the fact that no one has ever made an Aerotech video game, it would be unique. And yes, some of the coolest Aerospace fighters are going to be off limits because of Harmony Gold, but that did not keep MWO from happening.

#14 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:48 AM

You people need to understand that Transverse is an OWN IP by PGI, and this is important for PGI to be independent form license stuff.

View PostDarth Futuza, on 04 October 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

because people would buy it? And no idea how a singleplayer/coop game would compete with a pvp online game. Sure it would at the beginning take away some palyers who play the campaign, but this counts for other games too when released. It's not like people would abondon MWO for a single/coop game with mechs.

PGI could also, similar to man vs machine in TF2 add coop mode into MWO as a online Coop game mode. But then it would impact the solo queue a lot more than a stand alone PvE title

Edited by Lily from animove, 06 October 2014 - 12:58 AM.

#15 kingalbertII

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:36 AM

View PostEd Steele, on 05 October 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

MWO is doing fine. I would play both MWO and Aerotech if they ever made Aerotech. Just the fact that no one has ever made an Aerotech video game, it would be unique. And yes, some of the coolest Aerospace fighters are going to be off limits because of Harmony Gold, but that did not keep MWO from happening.

"shakes fist at HG"

#16 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:37 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 06 October 2014 - 12:48 AM, said:

You people need to understand that Transverse is an OWN IP by PGI, and this is important for PGI to be independent form license stuff.

because people would buy it? And no idea how a singleplayer/coop game would compete with a pvp online game. Sure it would at the beginning take away some palyers who play the campaign, but this counts for other games too when released. It's not like people would abondon MWO for a single/coop game with mechs.

PGI could also, similar to man vs machine in TF2 add coop mode into MWO as a online Coop game mode. But then it would impact the solo queue a lot more than a stand alone PvE title

I think you misunderstand me. I agree with you, I'm just saying it'd be foolish for them to put a multiplayer component (other than coop) into a singleplayer mechwarrior game, because then they'd be competing with MWO directly.

#17 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

Too bad Transverse uses the unreal engine, or they could make Aerotech and have it tie in with MWO. Maybe in CW you would have to win a battle in orbit before you could land mechs on the surface?

Plus, I would really like to see what Alex could do with those Aerospace fighters.

having money does not mean I can play serveral games at the same time. A online game does nit live only by the money fed, it alos lives from the people who paly it. So as long as I can not clone myself and connect these clones into an own hive mind of myself I would have (time related) troubles gaming all the games I like.

#18 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

This probably won't be that popular, so this doesn't get my vote.

I love flight sims. I am waiting with baited breath for the new Sturmovik Stalingrad game. I also played the BattleTech board games.

Their design for Aerotech has so many issues with it that I wouldn't want to play it. They basically put tanks in fighter combat. Planes with armor. Armor? Yes, armor. They use the same weapons and armor from the ground game.

Planes don't work as flying tanks. They work as fragile, but agile glass cannons. They stay alive by never being hit.

Dogfighting in Panzers with wings doesn't do it for me.

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 06 October 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#19 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts
  • LocationClan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone.

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 06 October 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

This probably won't be that popular, so this doesn't get my vote.

I love flight sims. I am waiting with baited breath for the new Sturmovik Stalingrad game. I also played the BattleTech board games.

Their design for Aerotech has so many issues with it that I wouldn't want to play it. They basically put tanks in fighter combat. Planes with armor. Armor? Yes, armor. They use the same weapons and armor from the ground game.

Planes don't work as flying tanks. They work as fragile, but agile glass cannons. They stay alive by never being hit.

Dogfighting in Panzers with wings doesn't do it for me.

Armor would work fine in 0 gravity.

#20 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:00 PM

Too bad Transverse uses the unreal engine, or they could make Aerotech and have it tie in with MWO.
I could see that work. Maybe even have a portion of their battles on the same ground/air map.

MWO is pretty much Warthunder/WoT with 'mechs, and given that those two games have started implementing mixed matches, I don't see why it shouldn't work in Battletech as well (though Aerotech would obviously also maintain an "exclusive" set of space maps).

I don't see it happening, but ah ... one can dream.

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 06 October 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

Normal Battletech airplanes, perhaps, but not aerospace fighters. We're not talking about something "small" like an F-16 here; aerospace assets are considerably larger due to sporting some pretty heavy engines and thrusters to maintain mobility in vacuum, as well as heavier life support and sensor/targeting equipment, not to mention weapons with which they can actually make a dent in dropships and larger spaceborn vessels.

A bit like this Eagle Long Range Fighter from Elite. Note how small the pilot's chair is in comparison to the rest of the ship. And yes, the foremost part of the landing gear includes an entry ramp that leads to a fully sized door.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users