What drives you to play something like the BattleTech universe?

45 replies to this topic

#1 Hitty40

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Discuss.
Most people here will say that they play the BattleTech universe because they've played it so long. I'm part of that too. But I guess I could say that what drives me to play BattleTech is the strategy: As long as you don't make too many mistakes, you can fight hard and efficiently.

#2 Lou Cypher

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBrowning, Missouri

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

I have not played many Mech games, but I did play MW2 years ago. It is a fond memory of a lot of fun so I had to throw my $120 in to help get this ball rolling. The idea of piloting a giant Mech and fighting to control areas of a giant world is very appealing to me. If this game turns out to be half as much fun as I remember MW2 being I believe it is an investment well worth making.

#3 Simokon

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

Giant machines of death, blowing each other to pieces... what is not to like?

#4 Phasics

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

I'm a child of the 80's its part of my core programming from watching a certain cartoon :D

#5 razorkill12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationJax, FL

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

View PostSimokon, on 23 June 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

Giant machines of death, blowing each other to pieces... what is not to like?

this!!

#6 Takashi Fuchida

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis, Misssouri

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

To be honest with myself... it is the lore of the battletech universe.
I always find msyelf doing one more mission in MW games for the storyline of what would happen.. i enjoy all the strategy of the various simulated conflicts between the factions.. and i like to read all the news articles in the MW2 Mercenaries as well as all the other games..

Perhaps i am alone in this.. but i didnt read all of the novels because of stuff blowing up }: D ...

But i will say i just enjoy the universe and it gives me a great sense of nostalgia for when i was younger.

~Takashi Fuchida
"Time is the fire in which we burn."

#7 Philipe von Rohrs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

It's not just the games (played MW's 2,3,4 MC's 1+2, tabeltop (favourite) and RPG... But what really, I mean truly, draws me into the "universe" s you say, is the fantastic detail the boys in FASA put into the background. The sheer volumes of history, characters, 'mechs and POLITICS (love it :D ) had me hooked!

I'm mostly into the books now, and have been doing my own short stories and novellas for a while now, but the games are a nice way to dive into the nitty gritty awesomness that is a buch of armoured war machines kicking the poop outa each other!

#8 collosus

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 77 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

Lore and community... and the fact of big robots blowing up, it all adds up :D

#9 OpCentar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

First time I heard it - I was sold for life.

#10 Tyleron

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationNW Indiana

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

It's the game that really deserved this persistant-"fps/mmo" treatment. It's been too long a time coming. Not saying that Pirhanna is taking too long developing it. just that the IP should have been one of the first, out of the gate.

#11 Hitty40

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostOpCentar, on 23 June 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

First time I heard it - I was sold for life.

I'm curious as where you heard that.

#12 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

I love pretty much every aspect of the BattleTech universe. What got me in was the beautiful artwork of the BattleTech box set I picked up in November 1984, and the huge stompy 'Mechs that could blow one another away with nasty stompy weapons. What kept me in was the fact those big stompy 'Mechs had malfunctions, required repairs, and Weisman/Babcock said it was supposed to be like World War I and II fighter pilots, fighting from the edge of their seats with minimal technology and the requirement to use strategy and tactics to win. The game was truly about real warriors, and it was a great game because of that, and that's how I always thought about it.

Then, I got into MechWarrior 2 in 1996 and started playing on-line in 1997, and it wasn't exactly like I had always seen it, but it was pretty close, so I continued to play, and then from MW 3: PM on the only reason I played, anymore, was because it was giant stompy robots... the universe had been destroyed from by the younger community. Many of you already know the reasons, as I've laid them out in these forums plenty of times, so I won't beat that dead horse, anymore.

The reason I'm here is because I want to believe the developers are going to restore the seat-of-my-pants game-play, where teamwork, strategy, and tactics is equally important to how well some 12-year-old is able to fire his/her weapons accurately. I'm hoping and praying that the flavor of BattleTech, as it was originally supposed and written by Weisman and Babcock, will be seen here, again.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 23 June 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#13 Takashi Fuchida

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis, Misssouri

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostHitty40, on 23 June 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

Oh gawd... yes i also really loved the world when i heard that too }: ) ... don't forget the tempature.. hehe.
Mechwarrior 2 - Clan Wolf forever.

~Takashi Fuchida
"Time is the fire in which we burn."

#14 Saevus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationRight side of Upside down

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

I am drawn to the TT game because of the strategy. I generally play 3025 and earlier mechs with my groups and I feel like pre-clan and helm memory core tech, the game is all about finding the right balance within your lance to accomplish the mission, yet at the same time, because of crits and pilot checks, etc, there is a sense of luck and chaos that I think few strategy games manage to capture. Every turn in a BT match for me means something and even when things look bleak, you can turn the battle with a little cunning and a whole lot of luck.

#15 Dragon Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

It's the lore. There is a huge amount of detail to the Battletech universe. There were 7 source books alone published for the original 3025 setting just detailing the nations and personalities of the Mechwarrior universe, including periphery nations, and more have been added ever since.. Dozens of novels. Technical readouts.

Not to mention that it's a game about giant robots blowing the **** out of each other, and the original version of the Battletech game was incredibly well balanced. Unfortunately, FASA added Star League and Clan Tech, and balance went out the window.

#16 ermine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

Just watching that made me happy.

#17 Ricama

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

I am a designer at heart and third ed was the first game I ever played that gave me this much control over the units I used. I have binders full of designs, from mech to vehicles. It's what hooked me and I'm glad I at least get close to that level of control with this game.

#18 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

I'm a sucker for the pretty stompy robots! Seriously, I was introduced to BattleTech through the 3025 TRO. I didn't see the boxset till I had already picked my first Lance (Battlemaster, Warhammer, Rifleman, and a Shadowhawk). Then I made my first Mod and I was done hooked!

#19 OpCentar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

Can't remember for sure but it's either MW4 or MW3, damn I must be getting old :D

PGI had better find some damn fine voice actresses (:

#20 Xantha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

For me there isn't one single thing. I mean sure I love the board game tactics and dice rolling but there is something special about the universe. It's such a special blend of Medieval social structure and technology. I love the fact that we have some technologies that would be high tech in the real world while having social structures and some technologies that would be out dated in the modern world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users