15 replies to this topic

#1 auniqueid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts
  • LocationUSA east coast

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

Thinking of replacing my 3x 1920x1200 27" with three 27" 4k monitors (27" h:w fts perfectly on my desk and for my work style) -- anyone have any experience with this and using surround mode in MWO? I'm using a 5960x and 3x 980s, curious if I'm going to see a significant downgrade in playability --- My current set up has no issues whatsoever keeping FPS above 40 in surround mode, which is roughly the same number of pixels as a single 4k monitor, but I'm concerned I'm going to have a terrible experience in surround with 3x 4k monitors (I guess I could always ditch surround and just run a single monitor)

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

Can't imagine this would run well.

Could try 3x ROG Swift if you have money to burn. :)

is sli support in yet?

Edited by Flapdrol, 08 October 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#3 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

4k single monitors have been putting strain on sli 780's or well were.
think the newer 980's do run 4k better. seems you have lots of cash to... burn.. so if 3x 4k for it to work needs a serious machine.

#4 auniqueid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts
  • LocationUSA east coast

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

4k single monitors have been putting strain on sli 780's or well were.
think the newer 980's do run 4k better. seems you have lots of cash to... burn.. so if 3x 4k for it to work needs a serious machine.

I'm running a 5960x w/ 3x 980sc's... other then adding a fourth card, there's really nothing out there that's reasonably more high ed than what I already have .. so, the only questions really is, am I setting myself up for disappointment with this setup?

Edited by Jimbobbob, 08 October 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#5 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:03 PM

Jim, as MWO does not properly utilize SLI yet, I can help you out with this.

4K is a burden on my single GTX 980, I do not expect you to be happy with triple screen 4K at this point in time.

Here is a performance capture of Caustic Valley @ 4k res, all settings Very High with PostAA
Posted Image

#6 JuggernautXTR

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:18 PM

youd be better off staying 1080p with higher hertz screens than going 4k X3, I don't care which company you are using amd or nvidia they just aren't powerful enough yet. I think it's gonna be a couple more releases before they can actually do it with out straining the cards to death.

#7 Ocilfa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

@Lordred That graph is really interesting. I honestly thought it would be much worse, but that actually isn't all that bad(Relatively speaking).

#8 auniqueid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts
  • LocationUSA east coast

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:02 PM

@Lordred That graph is really interesting. I honestly thought it would be much worse, but that actually isn't all that bad(Relatively speaking).

Exactly what I was thinking -- not too shabby for everything maxxed out!

Anyway, thanks all for some very helpful comments. based on the feedback I've gotten here and on the overclock forum, I'm going to stay away from 4k for now... the general consensus I'm getting is that it's real pretty, but since I use my rig 80% of the time for business apps, the scaling issues in windows will likely drive me nuts. I feel confident that my 3x sli can handle one, maybe 2 4k monitors ... but not until the optimization and drivers catch up. And the monitors are still advancing almost on a monthly basis, and dropping in price.. Anyway, thanks.

#9 Fatbat

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationCosta del Sol, Spain

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:50 PM

Dual GTX 980s in SLI with everything maxed except particle effects can run this game reasonably well, with FPS often pegged at 60 if you're just roaming around, but in combat this will drop into the 40s.

You might be able to run 3 x 4k with a quad SLI setup, but your settings would have to be really low I think.

#10 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:57 AM

View PostJimbobbob, on 08 October 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

Thinking of replacing my 3x 1920x1200 27" with three 27" 4k monitors (27" h:w fts perfectly on my desk and for my work style) -- anyone have any experience with this and using surround mode in MWO? I'm using a 5960x and 3x 980s, curious if I'm going to see a significant downgrade in playability --- My current set up has no issues whatsoever keeping FPS above 40 in surround mode, which is roughly the same number of pixels as a single 4k monitor, but I'm concerned I'm going to have a terrible experience in surround with 3x 4k monitors (I guess I could always ditch surround and just run a single monitor)

seeing as you have 980's; do turn on DSR in Nvidia driver and try it out in MWO

performance issues aside (those will be horrible as in 3x 4k and not the best SLI support), the UI doesn't scale
have a look

#11 Strattus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 106 posts
  • LocationKazakhstan

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:09 AM

Larger single screen is the way to go... If you get a 32 inch, you won't even need to zoom in! I've been thinking about a monitor upgrade myself, but would need a graphics card upgrade for 4k.... currently running 2 x GTX 560 ti in SLI and maintaining 50-60 fps at 1080p somewhere between the high and very high game settings.

Personal preference matters, too.... I would rather have the frame rate in battle (very difficult to brawl at 25-30 fps...). But, again, personal preferencePosted Image

#12 nafers

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:47 AM

Necro post revived from the dead. Incidentally, a GTX 1070 or 1080 could run this setup today probably with no sli and no problems.

#13 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:20 AM

Nah. Single 1070 or 1080 cannot drive triple monitor 4k lol. Single monitor for sure and twin 1070 or 1080 could drive triple 1440p display. But the horsepower won't be around to drive triple 4k until next year when papa cards drop like 1080ti and rx fury or whatever.

#14 Mr Breaker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEngland, Great Britain

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:51 AM

I'm running 3 monitors 5890x1080 (Bezel corrected) and I get around 30-40FPS at high detail. I think my biggest problem is the lack of GPU RAM for 3 screens (only 4GB). I have a 2500K (stock) and SLI MSI 670 SC.

But from what I've been reading, A Single 980TI will give you the same performance as SLI 670s. So a GTX1080 or even SLI 980TI would give you a stable 60FPS @ 5890x1080 at MAX everything. The only problem is the mech-bay isn't really designed or set up for 3 screens.

#15 nafers

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:26 AM

View PostPOOTYTANGASAUR, on 22 June 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

Nah. Single 1070 or 1080 cannot drive triple monitor 4k lol. Single monitor for sure and twin 1070 or 1080 could drive triple 1440p display. But the horsepower won't be around to drive triple 4k until next year when papa cards drop like 1080ti and rx fury or whatever.

Actually, you can do Tomb Raider at 4K x3 with Ultra settings at almost 30 FPS, so, I'm pretty sure you could do MWO with some settings turned down/off with no problems at 4K x3. And the benchmarks I found were not even OC'd. Now, I personally think you are better off at 1440P x3, but thats just me. I prefer the higher frame rates over the pixels.

#16 Rykiel

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:24 PM

Supposedly the upcoming NVIDIA GTX Titan X (Pascal Edition) will be able to singlehandedly take care of 4K @ 60Hz consistently (if what NVIDIA is saying is even halfway true, this is easily possible). An overclock might be needed for some games (Crysis 3, Witcher 3, etc). It's supposed to come out August 2nd for the price of $1200 USD as the MSRP.

As someone who has used multi-monitor in the past, I've very happy with my current 42" 4K TV (using it as a monitor). It's not curved, but I sit a little over 2 feet away from the screen, and it's quite immersive already (it's very close to the maximum limit of my peripheral vision).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users