Ppc/erppc Speed/vs/acceleration!

41 replies to this topic

Poll: Change the way PPC/ERPPC/CERPPC function? (160 member(s) have cast votes)

Add "Acceleration" to PPC projectiles

1. Yes (46 votes [28.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.75%

2. No (114 votes [71.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 71.25%

Adjust PPC speeds up around 1100-1200 Mps

1. Yes (92 votes [57.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.50%

2. No (68 votes [42.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

Reduce PPC/ERPPC/CERPPC heat?

1. Yes (39 votes [24.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.38%

2. No (121 votes [75.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.62%

Add a "Charging" mechanic to PPC/ERPPC/CERPPC

1. Yes (38 votes [23.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.75%

2. No (122 votes [76.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:35 PM

Everything Koniving has said, as usual.

I didn't like the sound of a charge mechanic at first, but the way Kon explained it makes me really want it now. Especially with a charge up sound effect, like the Plasma bolt in Wipeout 3. (skip to 1:14) That sound is epic. :D

I'm still not sold on the acceleration bit - it doesn't make sense to me why a concentrated burst of particles would accelerate. But hey, if the community likes it, I'll go for it.

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:38 PM

That was a really good sound. :)

#23 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

If we got a chargeup mechanic, I'd like to see it work like in these older videos.

Tap once to charge it, and then have a toggle so it can either automatically fire immediately after the charge, or do another tap to fire it.

Mode1 | Press fire, weapon begins charging, fires asap as its ready
Mode2 | Press fire, weapon begins charging, press fire again to release.

Edited by Mister D, 13 October 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#24 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

So, still haven't heard anyone mention a reason why Acceleration wouldn't work.

Gameplay wise, not a peep.

I'm seeing fairly close #'s in the poll for Acceleration on PPC, and a strong majority on a speedup in general.

#25 Mothykins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:41 PM

I love the acceleration idea. Makes it really hard to sync, and gives it an interesting flavor.

I'm also all for a charge, but that's because I don't mind that sort of mechanic.

#26 JadeWolf01

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBoise Idaho

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:38 PM

For the PPC I think a charge mechanic that fires automatically, or can hold that charge and produce heat should be used. The mechanic could work on click to charge click to release or hold to auto fire. With some toggle option for the opposite. Hold button to hold charge release to fire. Click and release for auto fire. Change the speed to the weapon to a flat acceleration of 3000m/s from zero at the barrel. That calculates to 300 m. in about .447 seconds, 600m in .632 seconds and 1200m in approximately .894 seconds. That makes it's velocity about 1500m/s at 1200m. I don't see why a PPC couldn't be this fast, and it wouldn't be synchronized with any other weapon. 1150 m/s is how fast the AC5 is. AC2 is 2000 m/s
On a side note it would be interesting to see deceleration of Ballistics beyond their primary damage range too. So the AC5 would travel to 620m at say 2000m/s and fall off at a rate of 2930m/s to be about 300m/s by 1240m in just about the same time that it takes get there now. Maybe that is getting too complicated for a game though it would help with all the weapon grouping balancing issues because weapons would only be synchronized in a small window of range. All the ballistics would fly at a higher rate in range then rapidly decelerate to an ineffective speed to cause damage.
They could also decelerate at a flat rate. From a muzzle velocity on an AC5 of 2000m/s decelerating at a rate of -1575m/s to about 301m/s at 1250m. Not sure how it is programed now. It may not be possible. A ballistic deceleration curve would be ideal but is far more complicated.

#27 Duke Nedo

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:11 AM

Acceleration could be fine, but I'd not like any of the other suggested things... I mean, heat is quite fine, slow speed is no biggie imo, still very possible to hit lights with them, you just have to predict where the little buggers are going.

Big + with acceleration: It will not sync perfectly with ANY weapon at ALL ranges. Also faster to hit slow targets at long range. I.e. it will effectively decouple them from all projectile weapons making it possible to balance them independently.

Big - with acceleration: Getting a "feel" for the weapon will be much harder at different ranges, so it may end up harder to lead properly to hit fast moving targets at medium to long range. Sure, you will have to estimate the range to the target also with a constant speed, but with acceleration the margin for error will be less for that range-estimate...

Edited by Duke Nedo, 16 October 2014 - 12:13 AM.

#28 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:42 AM

I'd rather have a gauss-type charge up time for regular PPCs in exchange for dealing damage below 90m.

#29 The Driver

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

too fun as they are now - dont change!

#30 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:10 AM

Acceleration? meh...

Charge time? meh

Less heat? Sure, make ERPPC 12/13.5 instead, let the other 3pts of dmg just vanish..its not like PGI is sticking ot TT values anyway...

Increase speed to maybe 1000 or 1100ms? Sure.

#31 Lord de Seis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Alberta, Canada

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:27 PM

No to all, I think they are still a viable weapon you just need to know how to use them and you see them on builds. They aren't to the level they once were but that is because everyone was using PPC's.

#32 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:32 PM

A ppfld weapon with range of 500m+ that's accurate with less than 0.5 sec travel time that can be mounted on every weapon breaks game balance unless it's got so many other issues (gauss) that you need a lot of skill to apply it.

We know this because we already had 1000m/s or faster PPCs for two years and it was absolute ****.

No thanks, don't want it back.

#33 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:34 PM

I think just move the speed up to 1200 mps. PGI has no stomach for long range combat or they would make an effort to include it like every other MechWarrior game has done ...with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Look at these maps they make. All short range brawlers with either a maze or mountain right in between each team. That's real fear. So I think getting PPCs back to 1200 mps is the best we can hope for.

#34 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:42 PM

They just need to do more damage, or do heat damage (increases your heat if you get hit by one).

#35 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

Want everything listed expect the charging mechanic ? .....GET AN AWESOME

Edited by strikebrch, 16 October 2014 - 07:49 PM.

#36 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:52 PM

These polls aren't very effective unless they're advertised to a larger portion of the player base.

I doubt more than 20-50 people bother checking this section.

I check the forums almost everyday.

The only poll I've ever seen is the Black Knight & Grasshopper one in the general discussion area.

#37 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

Not much can really be done about that, I've already linked this poll in 1 General discussion thread about PPC's and mostly what I got was frowns for even bringing it up.

As long as some kind of speedup happens, I guess its all good.

#38 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:53 AM

bump for PPC love.

#39 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:54 AM

I voted for a speed increase and a heat reduction. The speed because, well, the PPC is currently terrible when it comes to doing its job - IE long ranged support firing/sniping. The heat because I just want my poor K2 to have the easy mode foor once :) ;)

#40 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:44 PM

I think PPCs generate enough heat on their own that ghost heat is a little much currently, and I think that the charge mechanic could be introducted to compensate removal of the ghost heat.

Otherwise it seems more than fine as-is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users