Potential Fix For Random Freezes

5 replies to this topic

#1 Quicksilverc5

• PipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

So when mining collective came out and i upgraded to the latest NVIDIA drivers all of the sudden I got random freezes in game that alt-tab would fix. Running MWO repair tool did nothing. When the freeze occured I did not get any driver errors from NVIDIA. I see 0 issues in any other game, app or benchmark. My rig temps dont go above 52c for CPU and 68 C for GPU. Frames stay consistant at 60 as i have vsync enabled.

So today I worked to isolate the problem.

My rig
z97x-ud5
4790K @ 4.5
8 gig @ 2133
gtx 670 (msi PE OC core +100, Memory + 650)
win7 64

I reverted to old NVIDIA drivers to see if that was the issue so this test was on 335.23

What I found was the "Texture filtering - negative load bias" setting in NVIDIA control panel was the culprit. When at default of "allow", i would see the screen lockup in collective. when it was set to clamp, no issues. The other settings in the panel had no effect, on or off. If bias was allow - i got the freeze, usually when moving. I did testing grounds 10 times at this new setting of clamp and 3 live games with no issue.

I have not rolled up to the new NVIDIA drivers yet, but will do soon and see if this resolved it.

#2 Zorra

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

tried that setting, still locked up shortly into mining collective... I once in awhile get lock ups in other maps, but it's a 95% chance I will lockup if I get collective :(

#3 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

I get a lot of those soft-locks on mining collective. Alt-tabbing fixes them.
Will report back if this Negative LOD bias helped or not.

#4 Panther TBC

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:48 PM

I think I found a workaround to this. Now, if your screen freezes, but you can still hear the game is still going on in the background, try this.

Do a quick CTRL+ALT+DEL and then select "start task manager", this will obviously bring up the task manager, and you should notice your screen in the background start moving again. Kill the task manager and then click on the screen and you should be back in the game, be mindful, by clicking on the screen, you will fire whatever weapon(s) that's linked to that mouse button.

Hope this helps.

If you don't hear anything going on in the background while your screen freezes, then this will not help.

#5 Darzok

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:46 AM

View PostPanther TBC, on 19 October 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

I think I found a workaround to this. Now, if your screen freezes, but you can still hear the game is still going on in the background, try this.

Do a quick CTRL+ALT+DEL and then select "start task manager", this will obviously bring up the task manager, and you should notice your screen in the background start moving again. Kill the task manager and then click on the screen and you should be back in the game, be mindful, by clicking on the screen, you will fire whatever weapon(s) that's linked to that mouse button.

Hope this helps.

If you don't hear anything going on in the background while your screen freezes, then this will not help.

I find that only works around half the time most of the time i find you need to close the game and restart.

#6 Jabakahn

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

I'm having the exact same issue with the Mining Collective map. Very annoying! No issues with any other map. I'll try the suggested work arounds and see what happens and report back to this forum. The CTRL+ALT+DEL and then select "start task manager" Does nothing for me.

The Rig
GeForce GTX770 Driver 344.48
I7 -2700K CPU @ 3.50 GHZ
16 GB RAM
RES 1920 x 1080, 60 HZ
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Edited by Jabakahn, 31 October 2014 - 09:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users