#1 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:27 AM

Motherboard: foxconn 2a92
Processer: AMD Athlon II X4 630(2.8 Ghz)
GPU: ASUS GTX 760
Ram 3x2 gig ram(DDR2), 6 gigs total.

Updated my specs, My mother board Is ****.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 25 October 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#2 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

You don't specifically need a new mobo; you need a new CPU. According to HP's website, that mobo is upgradeable to a Phenom II X4. You should also ditch that RAM setup or complete it with a fourth stick, because a third of your RAM is running single-channel (and it's DDR3, not 2). I would suggest just running at two sticks anyways because the board drops from DD3-1333 to 1066 if three or more are installed.

http://h10025.www1.h...c=en&lc=en#N114

Obviously if you have the budget then a new board, CPU, faster RAM and possibly a new case to drop it all in is ideal, but if you don't, a Phenom II X4 965 will do along with ripping out a stick of RAM. It won't be ideal, but it should beat what you have now.

Edited by Catamount, 11 October 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#3 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:56 AM

Also, out of curiosity, how on Earth are you getting that CPU to 3.5? That CPU's stock speed is 2.8, and that board is an OEM board it looks like (every mention of it on the net regards HP machines). Surely it doesn't support OCing o_O

#4 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

View PostCatamount, on 11 October 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

Also, out of curiosity, how on Earth are you getting that CPU to 3.5? That CPU's stock speed is 2.8, and that board is an OEM board it looks like (every mention of it on the net regards HP machines). Surely it doesn't support OCing o_O

srry i meant 2.8

XD, I can be a bit shortsighted in my research.

Could be MWO.

In heaven benchmark my frames maxed at 106. on high settings and the min was about 20 frames.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 11 October 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#5 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:17 AM

Greetings,

You didn't list what operating system your using, I'll assume win 7 64bit, since the 6Gb.
(32Bit can only use 4Gb max)

- you listed DDR2 Ram but the board uses DDR3, so there may be an issue already.
- Your board also, normally, needs ram that match's in each slots. This means that each slot should be populated with the same size and speed sticks. The two different A and B slots don't need to match but the two A channels and B channels should.

- Next, you need more Ram if it's win 7, 6Gb is just barely enough for that operating system.
(a least 7 or 8Gb is the normal and that's still somewhat low. The full 16Gb should see no further issues with memory buffer concerns.)
- The limiting factor with that board is the 4Gb max per slot, you could get 2 x 4Gb for the A slots and keep 2 of the 2Gb for B. Getting 10Gb total and that's fine. 2 x 4Gb is about $80. (IF the 2's are really DDR3)

- here's the specs on that board for Ram.

Memory upgrade information:
- Four DDR3 DIMM (240-pin) sockets
- Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4 GB DDR3 DIMMs per socket
- Supports Dual channel memory architecture
- Supported speeds:

PC3-10600 @ 1333 MHz*
PC3-8500 @ 1066 MHz
*DDR3-1333 modules run at 1066 MHz if three or more modules are installed.

Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports up to 16 GB on 64-bit PCs (DIMMs run at DDR3-1066)
Supports up to 4 GB* on 32-bit PCs
* Actual available memory may be less.

Ref:
http://h10025.www1.h...=c01925486#N114

The Video card is fine, your CPU is at it's max upgrade end, for that board. This leaves only the Ram as the cheapest upgrade.
- If you were to go with another updated board, you'd need all new parts, except for the Video.
(nothing else could be used on the new model boards.)

9erRed

#6 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:18 AM

Yeah that CPU is holding back the GPU. In a benchmark like Heaven or 3DMark (11 or further especially), that Athlon II X4 is enough to more or less keep the GPU going at least acceptably, but MWO is purely CPU-bound on most systems. I would consider a faster Phenom II X4 to be the minimum for MWO to run decently. It's not only clocked at 3.4ghz vs 2.8, but it has 6MB of L3 cache in addition to the 2MB or L2, whereas the Athlon just as the 2MB or L2. I would think that would slow you down even more given the RAM situation.

It's okay though at least you have upgrade paths. Just let us know what you'd like to spend and we can help out.

View Post9erRed, on 11 October 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

- Next, you need more Ram if it's win 7, 6Gb is just barely enough for that operating system.
(a least 7 or 8Gb is the normal and that's still somewhat low. The full 16Gb should see no further issues with memory buffer concerns.)
- The limiting factor with that board is the 4Gb max per slot, you could get 2 x 4Gb for the A slots and keep 2 of the 2Gb for B. Getting 10Gb total and that's fine. 2 x 4Gb is about $80. (IF the 2's are really DDR3)

The W7 OS does not use 6GB of RAM, nor does it require that much for gaming, especially MWO. MWO is a 32-bit application, and I've seen no evidence that it's large_address_aware so it's limited to 2GB, and 7 can hum along more than happily on less than the remaining 2. 4GB isn't ideal, but it's easily adequate, 8 is probably ideal, and there is no situation, ever, where gaming is going to require anything approaching 16GB, not at present.

I would recommend purchasing 2x4GB of DDR3-1333 if it was worthwhile, but having "only" 4GB of RAM is going to be the least of the problems for this system. I ran MWO on Windows 7 on that much across three systems since closed beta. It was only recently than I added another 4 to my system (a quantity the system never touches in gaming)

Edited by Catamount, 11 October 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#7 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:27 AM

Yea, They are DDR3. I need to pay more attention.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 11 October 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#8 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

do you planning on staying AMD or Switching to Intel? What's your Budget? I could probably come up with something for you.

#9 Schwarz Drachen

Rookie

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:30 PM

Hey Bloodwolf, stay with AMD. The intels run really hot and have some issues with the cpu glue where you need to replace it every six months. While the AMD chipset will keep cool under a lot of stress.

#10 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

Say what?

#11 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

View PostSchwarz Drachen, on 11 October 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

Hey Bloodwolf, stay with AMD. The intels run really hot and have some issues with the cpu glue where you need to replace it every six months. While the AMD chipset will keep cool under a lot of stress.

Eh... what?

Posted Image

#12 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:50 PM

AMD is way better, Will do.

View PostLord Letto, on 11 October 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

do you planning on staying AMD or Switching to Intel? What's your Budget? I could probably come up with something for you.

AMD is whats best for me.

Turns out everything runs fine. MWO is just being stubborn. Was playing shadows of mordor, pretty well with 60 frames stable and Temp of 50 degrees. Everything on High.

I could go even higher but For some reason 60 frames is my comfort zone.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 11 October 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#13 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:01 PM

It's stubborn because it actually demands some amount of CPU performance, while a lot of other games won't (as long as you don't touch Star Craft 2 or Star Citizen). You can run most games on incredibly terribad CPUs, and I mean my parents' Athlon II X2 runs a lot of games playably when provided a passable GPU. I mean my mom's single core Conroe Celeron ran Crysis just fine in a college presentation when paired with a 4870.

If running other games is good enough than an Athlon II X4 is a fine CPU for now, for most titles. MWO, however, demands a fair bit more. You'll just have to decide whether or not playing it at passable fps is important or not and we can advise you accordingly.

#14 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:02 PM

sorry but can you provide some proof of this, as an IT support person this is the first I have heard about such problems with Intel chips.
I use AMD my self but I have friends who are also in IT support who play many games on overclocked Intel i5 and i7 chips who have never mentioned anything about this.

Also it is not CPU Glue, it is Thermal Grease, to enhance heat transfer between CPU and Heatsink

#15 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 11 October 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

Motherboard: H-Rs880-UATX(Aloe)
Processer: AMD Athlon II X4 630(3.5 Ghz)
GPU: ASUS GTX 760
Ram 3x2 gig ram(DDR2), 6 gigs total.

I think I may need to get a new motherboard. Its pretty old. MWO is getting some bad Frames.

It's not the Board, it's MWO.

I use a Phenom IIx 4 BE 965, a CPU a little more potent than yours, and I have also bad fps during a real match (down to 20) but high fps in the traininggrounds.
So I can't recommend upgrading the CPU to a Phenom II X4 BE 965.

Getting 2x4 GB Ram could be helpful, even if it doesn't help you can use it with an other PC.
But go for DDR3 1600 that's the normal speed for Intel Mainboards.

If you want to upgrade the CPU to a Phenom II X4 you need probably a new CPU cooler. The one from the boxed set is realy noisy.
I'm using a Arctic Cooling Freezer Extreme with the BE 965, and it's cool and quite.
http://www.arctic.ac...reme-rev-2.html

#16 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:32 PM

Please don't propagate misinformation.

#17 Dazi_Shimazu

• Pip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:30 PM

View Postninjitsu, on 11 October 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

Please don't propagate misinformation.

He didn't all though he should ellaborate. Intel was having issues with paste withing the CPU under the heat spreader drying out and burning up the temps on processors since the contact from the die to the heat spreader we not adequately connected. This was seen in Ivy Bridge but unsure if it is still an issue or not. Most companies on most of their products solder the HS to the die in order to maintain proper thermal connection and also to deter from people "de-lidding" the CPU. AMD has been fusing the HS to the DIE for a long time now since they too, in the past, had this hairbrained idea to save on cost. If you need to look it up use keywords IVY Bridge, Thermal Paste, Heat Spreader, could also use the term De-lidding for information on that too. I do not recommend delidding either so any information you get from me is simply for education and not for execution.

#18 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:57 PM

View PostKain Jackyll, on 11 October 2014 - 09:30 PM, said:

He didn't all though he should ellaborate. Intel was having issues with paste withing the CPU under the heat spreader drying out and burning up the temps on processors since the contact from the die to the heat spreader we not adequately connected. This was seen in Ivy Bridge but unsure if it is still an issue or not. Most companies on most of their products solder the HS to the die in order to maintain proper thermal connection and also to deter from people "de-lidding" the CPU. AMD has been fusing the HS to the DIE for a long time now since they too, in the past, had this hairbrained idea to save on cost. If you need to look it up use keywords IVY Bridge, Thermal Paste, Heat Spreader, could also use the term De-lidding for information on that too. I do not recommend delidding either so any information you get from me is simply for education and not for execution.

What you are referring to was never a wide spread problem.

Schwarz was saying to replace the thermal compound between the heatsink and the processor every six months.

#19 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:25 AM

View PostKain Jackyll, on 11 October 2014 - 09:30 PM, said:

Ivy Bridge had this issue on a small % of chips, but it is also a process that has been around before Ivybridge mainly for hardcore overclockers (to an extent it still is) as a means to get lower temps to eeek out that slightly higher clock.

Either way, trying to say that AMD chips with higher power requirements run cooler is false equal system to system the AMD chips will always run warmer due to their higher TDP.

#20 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:30 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 11 October 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

AMD is way better, Will do.
AMD is whats best for me.

Turns out everything runs fine. MWO is just being stubborn. Was playing shadows of mordor, pretty well with 60 frames stable and Temp of 50 degrees. Everything on High.

I could go even higher but For some reason 60 frames is my comfort zone.

Simple reasons for this, MWO demands high per core performance Phenom II chipsets are ok at this and your using a CPU before this era of fine AMD chips (phenoms) but even they struggle in MWO.
The FX series is a no no they have terrible single thread performance and don't do well in MWO without extensive overclocking and tweaking of the user.cfg file.

The reason shadows of Mordor plays better is because its a different game, one that is GPU bound, and you have a GTX 760.

MWO on the other hand is CPU bound.

Intel play this game better at this time, that's a fact due to their higher per core performance.

My advice, pick up a Pentium K G3258, a Hyper Evo 212 overclock it to 4.5ghz (easy mode) and you'll have a better experience on a cheap budget.

Edited by DV McKenna, 12 October 2014 - 02:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users