Scatter Minefield Consumable

10 replies to this topic

Poll: Scatter mine field yes? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Given the choice would you use it rather then arty and airstrike?

1. Yes. New feature needs to be in. (21 votes [84.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.00%

2. No. ... The game is good enough already? (4 votes [16.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:39 PM

Similar in damage and area to artillery and airstrike, these mines would explode in a set area for both friendly and enemy damage (but only triggered by enemy proximity). Also unlike artillery or airstirke they would only go off one by one as activated. You know, so that not every competitive team only brings either arty or airstrike,

Edited by ManDaisy, 11 October 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#2 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:41 AM

I would, it would be a neat way to keep the sneaky mechs off your back.. at least w/o you knowing.

#3 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:04 AM

How would this work? Airdropped mines? Would they be invisible? What happens when a whole team spam mines around their base. Is it untouchable? Can you destroy them?

Elaborate please.

#4 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:11 AM

View PostBurktross, on 12 October 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

How would this work? Airdropped mines? Would they be invisible? What happens when a whole team spam mines around their base. Is it untouchable? Can you destroy them?

Elaborate please.

They had something like this in the older MechCommander tactics games, minelayer was one of my favorite units. I loved setting traps and destroying enemy lances by walking them into deathzones and ambushing them with my mechs.

The terrain looked a bit bumpy after minelaying, but I suspect it was just to let the player know where his mines were, not to affect the game AI or anything. I guess they shouldn't be visible to the enemy, and should only be visible to friendlies via the radar.

But yeah you can destroy them with ballistics and artillery. I don't think lasers set them off. (ahem: role warfare) Also, should probably only let a lance leader or group commander handle that ability. Ahem. ahem.

Sorry, this cough. Fall weather, you know.

edit: also maybe restrict it to certain game types, like CW assault and all conquest matches.

Could also create it as a built in feature for future map types. if they ever do PVE timed base capture missions, contending with randomly generated mine fields and base defense units could be a thing.

Edited by ArchMage Sparrowhawk, 12 October 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#5 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

Invisible? That wouldn't be fair. I think they should at least be noticible flat hex plates our domes on the ground. I like the idea of them being set off with weapons fire and reaaly like the ramdom placement in pve idea. They should show up on friendly radar and onl. y on BAP equipped enemy radar. Deployment should be like a uav (seed pod) that rises then explodes and scatters mines on the ground.

Edited by ManDaisy, 12 October 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#6 Fakirzoran

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTerra/North America/Spokane

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

Actually Arty Deploy-able mines came out before the Clan Invasion I do believe in TT.

#7 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:10 PM

I hope they will be visible to the naked eye if the are en placed on pavement or other hard surface like rock, concrete, building. Not visible on dirt, sand, mud, water or deep snow, but detectable by BAP/ CAP equipped mechs in any environment.

Must have a 30+ ton pressure fuse because Locusts and Commandos leg them self's sufficiently, by treating every bump in terrain as a ramp, or have much lower damage per mine then current Artillery strike per shell.

#8 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:41 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 11 October 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

Similar in damage and area to artillery and airstrike, these mines would explode in a set area for both friendly and enemy damage (but only triggered by enemy proximity). Also unlike artillery or airstirke they would only go off one by one as activated. You know, so that not every competitive team only brings either arty or airstrike,

sorry but this is a really bad idea

this would allow experienced players allow to close parts of certain maps and create deathtrap - since most pugplayers would just stop moving when the first mine goes off - you would have the same bottleneck effect as we now see at the entrance of the caldera in TT.

Also it would make lights even more powerfull then they allready are - yes I know many light players still wine - but taken into account their speed and low weight many lights carry a lot of firepower allready and many can use ECM

#9 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:56 PM

I see your point, the tactical use really has that much potential. However, you run into the same problem with artillery and airstrike where experienced players are using it to their advantage as is the point. I think rather then shy away from it, it would be something better to be gotten over with and adapted to. Hopefully ELO will do its job of seperating skill brackets rather then having to hold the game back.

#10 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:20 PM

Because I'm lazy, I wanna hear more about how they work in lore/when they were released. Anybody got links?

It sounds like something not canon, and I'm flat against most non-canon ideas, but if this has a basis in canon, count me in, sounds like an interesting concept to try to implement.

#11 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:22 PM

Yes aslong as BAP reveals to allow for a counter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users