9 replies to this topic

#1 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:43 AM

I'd like to make a post about what I've been using lately due to the issues with laser hitregistration (at least for me when I usually play 300+ ping). I've been using a combination of AC/10s and PPCs (or ER PPCs) on mechs that I play to make it easy to alpha within a given range and they tend to work well on some chassis that aren't that popular.

Weapon Info (as of this writing):

AC/10:
Projectile Speed - 950m/s
Range: 450m
Damage - 10
Heat: 3
Weight: 12 tons
Recommended Ammo: 2 tons (30 shots)
Total Weight: 14 tons

PPC:
Projectile Speed - 850m/s (close enough)
Range: 540m
Damage - 10
Heat: 10
Weight: 7 tons
Total Weight: 7 tons

ER PPC:
Projectile Speed - 950m/s (perfect!)
Range: 810m
Damage - 10
Heat: 15
Weight: 7 tons
Total Weight: 7 tons

Now it's simple. Put combinations of AC10s and PPCs onto your mech and you're done. Make a group to alpha them all together and you can also separate them by location or by weapon type, up to you! But mostly you'll be throwing out alphas. Best thing is you just need to get used to using one weapon and it has decent range. You can even snipe slow or unaware targets with the PPCs (I tend to not waste ammo with long-range shots).

It's recommended that you use PPCs but if you can manage the heat, the perfect sync of ER PPC and AC10 is quite fun.

Here are some sample builds (I didn't bother with armor because that's a personal preference. I normally keep 4-8 armor in the back for heavy mechs and as low as 2 for light or medium mechs and place the ammo wherever you want):

FANG - AC/10 + PPC(x2) 300XL

TDR-5S - AC/10 + PPC(x2) 300XL with 3 more DHS than the Dragon (can turn some DHS to ammo if desired or Medium Lasers)

CPLT-K2 - AC/10(x2) + PPC (more heat efficient, but you can just duplicate the Thunderbolt on it if you want 2 high mounted PPCs. Can also change the PPC to an ER).

FIREBRAND AC/10 (3 tons ammo) + ER PPC(x2) + 280XL + 4 extra DHS than the Dragon.

CTF-3D(C) AC/10 + PPC(x2) + 300XL + 4JJ

ILYA MUROMETS AC/10(x2) + PPC(x2) + 255XL (I usually use ER PPCs on this anyway for no minimum range 40 pinpoint alpha)

For smaller mechs like Mediums, you can considering using AC/10(x1) + PPC(x1) since they usually will not have the weight to accommodate more than that.

VND-1X AC/10 + ER PPC(x1)

If you have a variant with all energy then just put 2-3 PPCs and maybe 1-2 medium lasers for close up fights and DHS for the rest.

This probably isn't for everyone but if you want to keep things simple then give it a try if you haven't found any nice configuration for your Dragon or Thunderbolt.

#2 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:45 AM

what about some weapon variations?

this all is just *tired*...... boring

oh i forgot, loadouts like these are ruining the game..... more variations in every mechs loadout and less (pinpoint) damage would make the game more fun and we would see more mech variations instead everybody's mounting the same ****.

Edited by Thrudvangar, 12 October 2014 - 03:49 AM.

#3 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:56 PM

At 300-600 ping i can get 300-400 damage matches with lrm30 to lrm40 builds in maneuverable mechs.

But I used to run Lplas + ac20 almost like you.

Nowadays I use 4xSRM6 Timby.

Edited by Sergeant Random, 12 October 2014 - 06:58 PM.

#4 Postumus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:10 PM

Oh, there's variation, but its all just variation on a theme. If you're looking for builds that aren't hyperspecialized for one type of gameplay or range of engagement, builds that mix all the weapon groups in equal measure, or builds that mostly conform to stock loadouts, I recommend you post your support for one of the hardpoint restriction threads.

Or play in one of the stock leagues, but that requires being social and playing on an actual team with voice comms.

Edited by Postumus, 12 October 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#5 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

Hurry, come and rage post against the guy posting what actually works for him as he plays with 300+ ping.

OP: I know those feels bro. Cept I hit 400+ regularily. Thingslike LBX, LRM's, lasers are a total crap shoot. At least one hit wonders like IS AC's and PPC usually register.

I mix my loadouts up anyway, but AC10+PPC is really fun on Dragons, it fits the speed/play of the chassis. I have an Orion M with it too, all on right side, it tanks so much dmg it is crazy by using left side with that bullet magnet LT shoulder flag. So the loadout has it's place. Don't let the haters bother you, based on my observations in game, very few players actually understand what 300-400+ ping play is like as I am usually the only one over 200 even when I press the tab key during the match.

#6 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:16 PM

View PostSergeant Random, on 12 October 2014 - 06:56 PM, said:

At 300-600 ping i can get 300-400 damage matches with lrm30 to lrm40 builds in maneuverable mechs.

But I used to run Lplas + ac20 almost like you.

Nowadays I use 4xSRM6 Timby.

Yes, for brawling SRMs work fine too. I tested things out with my splatcat and the damage mostly registers even with light mechs.

Lasers damage loss I estimate (for me) is well above 60% which makes them quite inefficient for 300+ ping. Bringing lasers means I bring my team down cause I'm not doing any damage.

I took note of my total laser damage and alpha'd a few times in a match so I have an idea of how much total I should have done (I try to hit within optimal range) and I always end up with less than half.

Edited by Elizander, 12 October 2014 - 11:17 PM.

#7 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

I also have a ping around 300 ever since the PGI data center got moved (I live in Japan).

Now it's more clear to my why I like PPCs and ballistics and don't like lasers at all. Thanks for the info Elizander :)

#8 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:53 PM

There's a lot of variety in mechs. Part of it is because you can build any particular loadout on a bunch of different mechs.

Weapons that get used a lot:
AC/2
AC/10
AC/5
AC/20
Lbx10
SRM6
ASRM6
SRM4
ASRM4
SRM2
medium lasers
mpl
ll
lpl
erll
ppc
erppc
LRM 5
LRM 10
LRM 15
ALRM15
LRM 20
ALRM20
mg

weapons that don't get used much:
SSRM2 (too annoying, not enough punch)
ASRM2 (doesn't need artemis)
ALRM5 (doesn't need artemis)
flamers (don't really work)
small lasers (too short range, too hot to throw on as extra damage like machine guns)
spl (too short range, might as well use a medium laser)

This looks to me like a situation where 'this weapon sucks' is the problem rather than 'people have too much freedom and all use the best weapon'. So, individual weapon adjustments are called for rather than sweeping changes to how mechs are built.

types of builds that appear in stock but are discouraged by MWO:
(1) random tossed on LRMs -- too vulnerable to AMS, and in general too annoying to use at the same time as other weapons because of the lock-on requirement
(2) one of each of seven different weapons -- how many buttons does your mouse have?
(3) lots of small lasers -- small lasers in particular are awful right now

#9 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:49 AM

As a new player with good ping, I will add that my damage and kills that equate to Cbills jumped dramatically with alpha builds. If everybody was forced to stop or slow down for a period of time in relation to their damage output kinda like another ghost heat, I am sure that builds would change and the ability for the game mechanics matched to player connections and computer specs would let other weapons become more attractive.

I for one approve of anybody making the system work for them and then taking the time to share it with others.

PS I got a scholarship to go to a very good Art School and they pounded into us that only people with little skill or knowledge of the field try to be different. Truly unique work is a luxury afforded after understanding and mastering the basics, and then it takes alot of hours making some really bad ****** . This was quickly followed by 20+hours a week of homework to dispel the other stereotype of "lazy" artists. IE Different for differents sake has no real substance other than in someones one mind.

Thank you for the post

#10 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:20 AM

And queue the QQ about this becoming a meta at some point, along with the demand for preemptive nerfing... :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users